1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Video Games] Video Games Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Wulfert, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Hannah

Hannah Come a little closer

PO Trainer Name:
    Hannah

GRENINJA MAKES A SPLASH!

Also from the video, Keldeo is accessible from the Pokeball~

Afro Smash and puregenius like this.
  2. Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom Long time hater of stall

The more I hear about Smash the more excited I get. It really is stacking up to be something epic. What do people think of the lack of mid match transformations? Samus no longer turns into Zero Suit Samus after using her Final Smash for example. I personally think it's a good idea that they made Zelda, Sheik, Samus and Zero Suit Samus into separate characters - it makes me wonder what ZS Samus's final smash will be.

3. Afro Smash

Afro Smash Mfw I'm living the Australian dream

PO Trainer Name:
    Afro Smash
    Hopefully her armour comes off too :]]

4. Aurist

Aurist I do not jump for joy. I frolic in doubt.

I'm super excited about Greninja. I love that SSB is occasionally pulling a fast one on us. Noone expected Greninja at all. I was hoping they'd actually represent Gen 6 Pokemon rather than just having mega evos of older pokemon. Greninja looks like it plays so fun, fast and smooth. I still think I want to main Wii Fit Trainer but I'll definitely be trying out Greninja too.

I also think it's kinda silly they made Charizard standalone but whatever lol. All I need is for them to not be ditching Jigglypuff out of the blue.

5. Dr. Doom

Speak for yourself, I fucking hate Jigglypuff. Slow, light, weak and incredibly annoying. The new character I'm most looking forward to trying out is Rosalina. Then probably Greninja. And the 3DS version is being released this summer, so it may only be 2 months away!!! I can't remember the last time I was this excited about a new game.

6. Duster

Duster dodgerswin 2018

jigglypuff is super fun in ssb64

also take out little mac and put in mike tyson

7. Rioku

Rioku Not again.

PO Trainer Name:
    Shou
    Super Smash Bros is gonna be awesome. Greninja looks just like my type of fighter, but Little Mac has some punch.

Greninja looks like is has some good potential as a mobile fast hitter. It substitute dodge looks very exploitable.

Little Mac looks like he will be king on Final Destination. The power bar with the OHKO move looks possibly broken.

Charizard looks a little faster which is great cause he sucked so much in SSBB.

OMG LUCARIO! The update to Lucario's damage increase = power increase thing looks like it will help him out so much more than in brawl.

Now where's my Jigglypuff ;~;

This looks like it will be really interesting game. Its like a weird Nintendo version of the Sims with Miis. I might get this because it just looks so stupid.

8. Withoutatrace

Withoutatrace im a filthy weeb

PO Trainer Name:
    Withoutatrace
    I recently just played Knack, even though its been out for a decent amount of time for PS4
    It's super simplistic and not very indepth gameplay wise, but the conceptual ideas put in the game are really fascinating. Without revealing to much, you can basically change your size and damage output, which made it really cool.

I can't wait till Destiny though, omg

9. VuvuzelaΒzz

VuvuzelaΒzz •Sage

PO Trainer Name:
    Stephen Colbur

EDIT: lol, that was meant to go in the video game music thread, but oh well.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
    Fegelein likes this.
  10. Fegelein

Fegelein The Mechanic

PO Trainer Name:
    Fegelein
    The Sega CD might just be the most underrated games add-on ever. If they didn't waste their time on making gimmicky games for the system and making more games like Eternal Champions, Snatcher and Sonic CD, it would have made a bigger impact.

The Sega 32x on the other hand was shit.

11. Crystal Moogle

Crystal Moogle Ayaya~

PO Trainer Name:
    Hanako
    I've been playing Bravely Default the past week or so. Almost finished it now. Really fun game.
    I love the Job system in it and the characters are incredibly flexible so you don't feel the need that each character has to be a certain role. The latter half of the game gets kinda repetitive to be honest, but there's a good amount of side-quests to do once you reach that point.

12. Dr. Doom

Saw the latest nintendo direct for mario kart 8. Looks epic, already pre ordered my copy.

Afro Smash likes this.
  13. IFM

IFM HODOR HODOR HODOR

Got watchdogs free with my graphics card and just finished playing a few hours of it. So far it seems really fun. The driving is a bit annoying, but beyond that I have been enjoying it. Anyone else pick up Watch Dogs?

14. Wander

Wander Shitty Wizard

I'll be picking up Watch Dogs some time next week, it's probably my most anticipated game this year so I'm excited to finally be getting it.

15. Weavile

Weavile Phoenix

I've heard a lot of shit about bugs, performance issues and repetitive and boring game-play from Watchdogs. Not played it myself but man.
    Also damn Dragon Age Origins is awesome.

16. Crystal Moogle

Crystal Moogle Ayaya~

PO Trainer Name:
    Hanako
    I hope you're playing PC version. The battle system is much better there imo. Although it's still decent on console.

Also Fire Emblem: Awakening is fun. Although I soon regretted playing on Normal despite being new to the series. It's way too easy on that setting. It's more fun on Hard, but I'm not masochistic enough to try on Lunatic yet.

17. Afro Smash

PO Trainer Name:
    Afro Smash
    Almost finished Persona 4 Golden on PS Vita, fantastic RPG, loads of it is really well voice acted so it sucks you in to the story, and i enjoy JRPGs in general so am really enjoying it.

18. Crystal Moogle

Crystal Moogle Ayaya~

PO Trainer Name:
    Hanako
    P4G is one of the reasons I want to get a Vita at some point. But there's like only one other game I want, so I don't think it's worth it :(
    Also give Persona 3 a shot if you haven't before.

19. Orcelot

Orcelot AKA Angelus

I clocked over 200 hours on Steam with this. It's one of my favourite games ever. I did restart several times to try out the different races/origins, but still. Would definitely recommend to anyone who likes story driven RPGs.

Also, for those that don't already know, Battlefield 3 is free on origin until June 3rd (you can keep it forever as long as you add it to your library before then). https://www.origin.com/en-gb/store/buy/battlefield-3/pc-download/base-game/standard-edition

Last edited: May 29, 2014
    Afro Smash likes this.
  20. Ortheore

Ortheore One beautiful monster

Heh, I'm playing FE:A now on normal, and I've become so used to all my units basically being juggernauts that I've grown super sloppy in how I utilise my weaker units. Stuff like being lax in protecting Maribelle/Lissa from enemy units, leaving under-levelled 2nd-gen characters in the front line. Also I'm developing every character I recruit. Both of those things would invariably screw me over if the game was more difficult (especially if I go back and play FE:RD)

21. Weavile

Weavile Phoenix

I clocked like 50 hours in 3 days, not a good sign.
    Also thanks I'm now getting BF3, even if I have to install shitty EA Steam clone.

Do you guys ever blind race games with people, as in find a game you both want to play but don't know much about yet and haven't played and race completing the game against them. It's a unique way to experience games that you want to play. Obviously it doesn't work for longer games like FF10 or something, but for stuff like Mirror's Edge, where the story is minimal and the game isn't too long, it's great.

22. Crystal Moogle

Crystal Moogle Ayaya~

PO Trainer Name:
    Hanako
    I need to replay it at some point. I did female city elf on my first run, because a friend recommended it to me. He recommended one of the dwarf ones as well, but I forget which it is now :( He's played it multiple times like you have. He loved it, although was incredibly disappointed with the second one. I never bothered trying the second.

Yes, that's how I was a lot during the end game. Any units I hadn't been using, I'd think they were just as strong as my "main" ones and they'd end up dying a lot. Playing on hard now as made me double think every single move.

23. Dr. Doom

I'd like to challenge someone to complete FE Awakening on Luncati(+) Mode...without grinding.

24. Afro Smash

PO Trainer Name:
    Afro Smash
    Yeah DA:O is rly good, though I've only played it on Xbox 360 (filthy casual I know) so I never got to use the tactical layout, still really good though. And yeah i definitely recommend playing through all 6 origin stories. The 2nd is supposed to be a lot worse, another example of a franchise dumbing down to draw in a bigger playerbase. However Dragon Age Inquisition is shaping up to be really nice.

25. Dr. Doom

I bought Mario Kart 8 yesterday, it's amazing, best Mario Kart game yet IMO. My favourite tracks are Shy Guy Falls, Mt. Wario and the new Bowsers's Castle and Rainbow Road.

26. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

Filthy casuals playing FE:A on Normal.

Also some early maps are actually unwinnable in Lunatic+ if they roll really insane skill combos. It is doable though.

27. Crystal Moogle

Crystal Moogle Ayaya~

PO Trainer Name:
    Hanako
    I'm playing hard now!!
    Seriously though, I didn't expect Normal to be so easy. I'd never played an FE game before (well I played like 3-4 levels of 7 or 8). I have heard of the wonders of Lunatic+ as well. The skills sound really (un)fun

28. Suigetsu

Suigetsu Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Stray Fox
    Playing FE:A again, aiming to get a strong squad for online/streetpass battles.

What're you guys planning to do/did you do for the best children?

I'm aiming for Ricken as Owain's father and Olivia as Lucina's Mother/Chrom as Inigo's father. I haven't really got further than that, other than planning to marry tharja myself to make a nice n fast sorcerer Morgan, not really sure how Noire will come out though.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  29. Dr. Doom

Your plans look good - Lucina gets Myrmidon and Pegasus Knight, both of which can give her something useful. Chrom gives Inigo Rightful King and the Cavalier tree, both of which he can make great use of. Inigo looks cool with blue hair too. As for Avatar!Tharja, you could pair your avatar up with anyone and Morgan will be great. Tharja will basically be another Morgan, although personally I'd recommend making her a mixed attacker like Grandmaster. Going with your plans, some builds I'd suggest:

Lucina
    Class: Great Lord
    Skills: Galeforce, Rightful King, Aether, Astra/Luna/Lethality, Swordfaire

Inigo
    Class: Hero
    Skills: Galeforce, Rightful King, Armsthrift, Sol, Luna/Astra/Lethality

Morgan
    Class: Sorcerer
    Skills: Armsthrift, Galeforce, Luna, Anathema, Tomebreaker

Noire
    Class: Grandmaster
    Skills: Armsthrift, Galeforce, Ignis, Sol, Rally Spectrum (mostly filler, but still helpful).

30. Suigetsu

Suigetsu Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Stray Fox
    Yeah, another thing I love about trying new pairings is the fathers hair thing, still puzzling over who to give Henry to, as he's my favourite male character (and has my favourite hair colour :3). I was thinking Henry!Nowi to make a powerful Nah, but i really dislike Nowi :I

Personally, i think Avatar!Lissa is a terrible Morgan, as s/he is literally a second Lissa.
    Suggestions?
    Trying to think of a good hubby for Panne, I love Yarne. Suggestions?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  31. Dr. Doom

I'd pair Henry with Maribelle myself - I know Maribelle's annoying and useless, but it makes Brady incredible and gives him pretty much anything you want. Want to make him an offensive sorcerer? You've got Luna and Tomefaire. Want him to be a War Monk? You just got Axefaire. Stahl's probably the best father to give Yarne, since you can get Luna and Swordfaire both of which he could bring over to Assassin (his best class). If you've already used Stahl, Gaius is the next best thing although you're stuck on Astra and Lethality for offensive skills (although Assassins naturally have high skill so they still activate reasonably often). For Nowi, Vaike is the best father, Avatar notwithstanding. You get an offensive skill in Luna, healing in Sol, Armsthrift for utillity and even Pavise if you want to shield yourself from some more damage. Plus Nah looks good with blonde hair.

32. Suigetsu

Suigetsu Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Stray Fox
    I do like the sound of that brady: torn between Sorcerer and War Monk though, as I find War Monks 100% more useful than any clerics.

Stahl!Panne sounds p. good once I look at what he passes tbh, I love fast/high skill characters.

Liking the sound of that Nah, will probably use her.

Side Note: Donnel!Sully is the best Kjelle imo, did you go for that pairing?

33. Dr. Doom

I did, and you're right it is the best Kjelle. She can be a tank, skirmisher or even a rallybot. I like to pass down Aptitude from Donnel, since that makes her unbelievably powerful. Some cool builds you could do with Donnel!Kjelle:

General Wall
    Class: General
    Skills: Aegis, Pavise, Sol, Armsthrift, Galeforce/Luna

Knife in the Dark
    Class: Assassin
    Skills: Galeforce, Sol, Armsthrift, Luna/Astra/Lethality, Swordfaire

Horsewoman of the apocalypse
    Class: Paladin
    Skills: Galeforce, Sol, Luna, Armsthrift, Aegis

Death From Above
    Class: Dark Flier
    Skills: Galeforce, Sol, Luna, Armsthrift, Relief
    If you pass down Aptitude, that fixes her magic and resistance growths

34. Suigetsu

Suigetsu Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Stray Fox
    I would personally go for the Wall Class, as I just love them (ofc the Res sucks but yeah). Best thing about walls is you can get someone with high attack/res and take out mages, then allow the Tanks to destroy everything else (similar to taking out archers so Pegasus Knights can do work).

Outside of all inheritance talk etc, who's your fav male and female chars? Or even pair? (Not for a good child, just otp in your opinion?)

35. Dr. Doom

Male? Definitely Owain. "Hand...hungers!" The guy's hilarious. I always use him if I can, even though I know in my heart of hearts he's not that good. Especially if you make him a magic using class: "My sword hand twitches!" But you're holding a tome...

Female, I'd go with Tharja. One of the (many) things I like about Fire Emblem Awakening is that the heroes aren't all goody goody, and Tharja lives up to that. All her supports are hilarious and her confession is the best one IMO "I can't believe you made me love you. 'Course if you back out, I'll murder you in your sleep." Bad girls are always a good thing, and they don't come much badder than her.

As for couple, I'd go with Vaike & Nowi. Some of the problems with the enormous lifespan of Manaketes are addressed, namely your human friends growing old, dying and eventually leaving you. But even when the people you love are gone, they will still live on in the hearts and minds of everyone who knew them. It's also nice finding about Vaike's drive and passion, and why he is the way he is.

36. Suigetsu

Suigetsu Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Stray Fox
    Owain isn't the worst, he still has offensive capability: I personally prefer Inigo as they are quite similair, but Inigo has compassion for dancing etc and he's just more than he seems :3 I gotta admit I love Owain's sword hand stuff, its hilarious: "NO! Stay back, Mother! My Sword hand: It Thirsts!" in the support with Lissa is my fav.

I like Tharja too, she's got the best character model and she is very eligible for competitive (all dar mages are tbh).

Ooh, pumped to see that support, quick question tho: Nowi is stated to be over 1000 years old, but exactly how long does live? Intrigued by Vaike, I thought he was a generic dunce at first w/ his third person refferences to himself etc, but I'm starting to like him.

37. Dr. Doom

I don't really know - she's supposed to be around a thousand years old, and still looks like a little girl. I think they're supposed to live for thousands of years, but I'm not sure exactly how long.

Yeah I didn't like Vaike at first too (especially when the idiot forgot his axe) and as a unit he's not that useful, but his supports with Nowi show a deeper side to him that I really didn't expect.

38. Suigetsu

Suigetsu Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Stray Fox
    Yeah, that's really offputting cause whoever you marry Nowi to haves a child with her, slightly disturbing xD

If only he had a high resitance to start with, he'd be a brilliant unit through the whole game, but I guess that' just fantasising.

Side Note: Level 4 Grandmaster (Level 20 Tactician then Master Seal) 8 chapters in, I have to avoid using MU when possible because he steals XP from everyone else T-T

39. Crystal Moogle

Crystal Moogle Ayaya~

PO Trainer Name:
    Hanako
    I -think- Manaketes are biologically immortal. So they can live forever technically, but can be killed via non-natural means.

Also Donnel x Nowi is surprisingly cute. Underdog Nah is great too and Aptitude is pretty cool in itself.

40. Suigetsu

Suigetsu Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Stray Fox
    From what I've seen, I haven't seen any conclusive information about it, but that seems fitting (had too many restarts in Hard Mode T-T).

Donnel and Kellam's support is pretty cool, you see a hidden side of Kellam and get to see him gettin recognition etc and its just heartwarming :3

I didn't ever actually use Kellam, but in this run he died as I sped through and his death message broke me, I had to start using him.
    He was like: "I-I wonder if anyone will notice t-that I'm... gone" and with tears in my eyes I restarted, he's been a huge asset so far tbh, used him to prevent Donnel dying so easily (+5 defense when paired up is p. good this early in).