1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[BW2] Metagame discussion/cool stuff to use in LU v2.0

Discussion in 'Past Gens Discussion' started by pokemonnerd, Dec 22, 2011.

1. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

If you really want to look at it, here's the first one.

So after posting in the threat list, I noticed we really don't have a place to talk about the current metagame, or a thread that's alive for talking about sets that are uncommon but can work pretty well. Since the metagame's changed a lot since the last post in the other thread, I figured it would be easier just to start a new thread. I'm expecting this to die within a day or two, but if it doesn't, then all the better. Anyway, I might as well start off with some copy paste from the threat list:

Lanturn (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Volt Absorb
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Hydro Pump
    - Thunderbolt
    - Ice Beam
    - Agility

It does take a bit of softening up the enemy team if the opponent's using stall(spikes help immensely) but once you get rolling that STAB combo can pretty much mop up everything in its path against offense. Actually, it's pretty much only good against offense without heavy hazard support; walls like Lickilicky, Ludicolo(someone might use defensive ludi), special defensive Spiritomb and Gardevoir take too little damage from Hydro Pump/Surf and can just stall out the LO recoil if you can't keep more than just rocks up. The speed EVs are there just because it lets it out base 91 pokemon(lol rotom), so you can probably ease up on those EVs and dump them into HP. You can run timid if you want to out speed more scarves, but it really wants the extra power.

So with that, post away!(or let the thread die, either way)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  2. Galblade

Galblade FAT PRINCESS

k, couple of sets I really like in the current metagame:

Tangrowth (M) @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 244 HP / 252 SAtk / 12 Spd
    - Leaf Storm
    - Focus Blast
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Knock Off/Sleep powder

I thought up this set back in june/july when I was internetless and breeding like crazy on my Pokemon White. I found it very effective in the battle subway and decided to transfer it over to competitive battling. Regen + Choice item is a really nice combo and Tangrowth's SpAtk and physical bulk allow him to tank a heap of physical attackers and hit either them or the incoming mon hard. The last slot depends on what you need. Sleep powder is good against teams with walls you can't OHKO like Lickilicky, Mandibuzz etc, while knock off is great for weakening some teams using Roselia/Misdreavus/Ferroseed (OHKOd with HP Fire anyway). The speed EVs are to outspeed other Tangs and Escavalier that run enough speed to outrun bulky Tang.

Dusknoir (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Focus Punch
    - Shadow Sneak
    - Pain Split
    - Substitute

This set was mentioned to me as a joke (I think) by someone in PNU and I decided to try it out. ITS ABSOLUTELY BEAST. This set lures Krookodile in like nothing I've ever seen and takes them out with FP. Shadow Sneak is his STAB attack and is great for picking off weakened mons as its weaker than FP even with a 2x resist. Pain split is there for healing, Dusknoir's bulk allows it to abuse it really well. I probably need to fix the EVs, not sure what he outspeeds with 8 speed lol.

3. fidgety

fidgety Active Member

Well one unorthodox set and one kinda Niche poke (though it is a useful one to be sure) coming up:

Lapras (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spd
    - Substitute
    - Dragon Dance
    - Waterfall
    - Frustration

Niche FTW the EVs allow Lapras to setup on most Slowking (AKA the ones not running Psychic or Grass Knot) as the 110 HP subs can take at least one of anything else and is a nice bulky sweeper capable of setting up on a number of notable stall poke, other than king there is defensive Nidoqueen, Claydol, defensive Entei, defensive Uxie, Dusknoir, Gardevior, Steelix, and Ferroseed among them. Dragon Dance allows Lapras to Boost Attack and Speed, Waterfall and Frustration have perfect coverage bar Ferroseed (can't do much anything back due to a poor Attack Stat) and Frillish (can anyone say irrelevant), Substitute absorbs attacks. For an NU i've found it really useful in LU. the HP has been explained, The Attack is maximize to maximize damage output, and the Speed is essentially filler (though If anyone wants to suggest a potentially useful speed bracket go ahead).

Hitmonlee (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Reckless
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Hi Jump Kick
    - Mach Punch/Fake Out/Sucker Punch
    - Rapid Spin
    - Stone Edge/Double Edge

this would be the Unorthodox one LO Lee. HJK is really the reason Lee is so good as Reckless makes it more powerful than a STAB Hyper Beam as 130*1.2=156*1.5=234 vs 150*1.5=225. The Second slot is Priority as lee while it isn't slow it isn't that fast either. Rapid Spin keeps hazards clear (really nice if you are running something like Zard and don't have room for a more defensive spinner). Stone Edge is to hit Flying types though Double edge is for just being stupidly powerful (144 power with reckless) though I personally would rather avoid more recoil if possible. the EVs are about as straightforward as you can get,

4. Jcpdragonx

Jcpdragonx the business business

Beheeyem (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Synchronize
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SpD
    IVs: 0 Spe
    - Trick Room
    - Psyshock
    - Shadow Ball / Nasty Plot
    - Hidden Power [Fighting] / Nasty Plot

Not sure if it has been mentioned, I have not seen the other thread in months. Anyway, this thing has a huge 383 Special attack with perfect coverage. At the moment I prefer without Nasty Plot because TR + NP takes too long to set up. This thing is really hard to stop with perfect coverage. Duosion gives it competition, but I prefer Beheeyem because it has slightly more bulk. This is assuming TR Dusion has LO.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  5. VuvuzelaΒzz

VuvuzelaΒzz •Sage

PO Trainer Name:
    Stephen Colbur

Musharna can use the same set, save NP and has better bulk doing so. That being said, I haven't used TR in LU, so I can't comment on the effectiveness of the set.

6. Jcpdragonx

Jcpdragonx the business business

I completely forgot about Musharana, I might try it as it has huge bulk but loses a bit of power. I guess the only reason to use Beheeyem over Musharana is Nasty Plot.

7. Stofil

Stofil Hello Miss Galaxy

Running hp fighting will be essential, since Krookodile will completely murder you or even sub up on you otherwise. Drapion might also be a problem, since with it's good bulk it can take the neutral hp fighting well, but a good Drapion commonly isn't offensive... Maybe run support in the form of the Tangs if you opt for TR+NP.

Also I'll post a set in here as soon as my headache goes down...

8. WizzleKidd

WizzleKidd Wizzlin' PO since Feb '11

Simipour @ Life Orb
    Trait: Gluttony
    EVs: 252 SP.Atk/ 252 Spd/ 4 HP
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Nasty Plot
    - Ice Beam
    - Surf
    - Hidden Power [Electric]

'Simipour in LU what are you smoking!?' Yes, it works quite well in the tier as a late game sweeper because of dat 101 speed. It easily takes care of the likes of Claydol, Entei, Tangrowth, Rotom, Nidoqueen, Qwilfish etc.. and Slowking is a easy 2HKO. Recently I haven't had much success with it because of the rise of scarfed T-Bolt Magmortars and constant runnings with Lanturn but it is worth a try!

9. Glade

Glade Rise From the Ashes

Crawdaunt @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Adaptability
    EVs: 252 Atk/ 252 Spd/ 4 HP
    - Dragon Dance
    - Waterfall
    - Crunch
    - Superpower

lol Slowking
    Set up a DD(Or two), win. STAB moves are too powerful, and Superpower for dat coverage.

10. Glade

Glade Rise From the Ashes

"(or let the thread die, either way)"

Have you ever considered running just enough speed on Lanturn to outrun Aerodactyl or something after an Agility and dumping the rest in HP?

11. emac

emac Emad

Inb4 hate but,

Ninja Gligar
    Gligar (M) @ Flying Gem
    Trait: Sand Veil
    EVs: 8 HP / 248 Atk / 252 Spd
    - Substitute
    - Swords Dance
    - Earthquake
    - Acrobatics

I really can't explain it, but in the sand this set just works in the sand. No one expects it, and people expecting it to be a wall try to status it or set up and then proceeds to cry as their team gets demolished through super strong acrobatics' and sand veil hax. The hp evs are to allow for 4 subs.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  12. Molk

Molk New Member

i have used the above set on my sandstorm team, it was extremely effective due to the unexpected power and speed it has, a flight gem boosted acrobatics OHKOES slowking at +2, and from then on it can tear through teams like no tommorow. also, heres a set that i use on my sandstorm team.

Drilbur (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sand Rush
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    - Swords Dance
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - Substitute/Aerial Ace

has 470 speed in sand, hits decently hard, and if it can set up a SD its basically GG aerial ace hits virizion, who otherwise would trouble drilbur

Sand is powerful in this metagame and i dont know why i seem to be the only one using it

13. Galblade

Galblade FAT PRINCESS

Since Molk decided to kill the thread I decided to boost it back up a bit ;)

Gallade (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Steadfast
    EVs: 236 HP / 228 SDef / 44 Spd
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Drain Punch
    - Knock Off/Wish
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Taunt

My beautiful support Gallade <3 EVs are enough to outspeed uninvested Gligar to hit them with taunt/WoW/Knock off and cripple him for a sweeper later on. Gallade baits him in so well its not funny. Drain punch is there so he's not completely useless if he's last in, and can actually do good damage with it.

Slashed in Wish so there's an option to support the team even more.

Edit: Someone please tell me I have the lefties number right lol. (molk told me the spread anyway so I can blame him) *Fixed*

Edit #2: 1337 posts :D

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  14. mael

mael np: diary

Uxie @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 Spd
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Substitute
    - Psychic
    - Calm Mind
    - Thunderbolt

SubCMUxie the boss. This is cheap, it sweeps so easy its not even funny. Its natural bulk and the solid speed make it pretty easy to set up and when you got +1 close to no Special attacker will break the Sub. With the moves it is totally walled by Krookodile but who cares, as long as you have something to check it. The best checks are Phazer, Krooko and Shedinja and at least one of them is beaten by Tspikes and most phazer are too. You can beat Honchkrow with MindGaming or at full health you can take a sucker punch. Scoolipede can do quite a lot of damage if you are not behind the sub. It isnt the most creative set but totally effective

Magneton @ Eviolite
    Trait: Magnet Pull
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 SAtk / 8 Spd
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hidden Power [Grass]
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk

Resttalk Magneton is one of the best tanks in the Metagame. Steels are really important in the Metagame to check Honchkrow and this stuff. With Eviolite is has good Bulk even without investment in the defensive stats and because of Rest and Sleeptalk the Lacking Leftovers dont matter. Its an awesome Lure for pert and Quagsire and it beats them very reliably. Pare this with Tspikes and something to beat fighting attacker (Uxie fits well ;P) and you will have some easy ggs. Enough EVs to outspeed other Magentons without Investment and the HP and Special attack Evs are kinda just maximized to hit hard while being still bulky. Just awesome.

15. 1996ITO

1996ITO Member

By all the matches I've done in LU, I see two things overcentralizing too much the tier:

Escavalier @ Choice Band
    Trait: Swarm
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef or Spd
    Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Megahorn
    - Pursuit
    - Frustration
    - Iron Head

It's just the phisically strongest pokémon in LU, who pretty 2HKOs the whole meta-game, except Nidoqueen and Moltres, which this last has decayed in usage due to SS teams being around. It has by far 2 checks: Entei (can take a hit on the switch-in) and Typhlosion (KOed by Frustration on the switch-in), which are x2 weak to Stealth Rocks, basically the most used move.

On the other hand, Sandstorm teams, which have shawn a good job, having some good abusers such as: Cacturne, Gligar, and those Rock types.

SubCM Uxie also deserves a mention, though.

16. Galblade

Galblade FAT PRINCESS

Galblade used Pheonix down! Thread revived!

Miltank (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sap Sipper
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    - Frustration
    - Punishment
    - Earthquake
    - Milk Drink

Use this set guys, seriously. It is so surprisingly good its not funny. Punishment OHKOs +2 Sigilyph, +3 Cofagrigus (I think) and so many other SpDefive boosters. USE THIS SET.

Edit: 252Atk Life Orb Miltank (Neutral) Punishment vs 252HP/252Def Leftovers Cofagrigus (+Def): 70% - 83% (226 - 266 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

Thats against Cofag with 7 boosts. Still strong!

17. DDRMaster

DDRMaster New Member

If you manage to get a Sap Sipper boost on that Miltank, you get a guarenteed 2HKO with Punishment when Cofagrigus is at +2 and a 75% chance to OHKO when it's at +6.

Drifblim @ Flying Gem
    EVs: 4 Atk/252 HP/252 Spe
    Nature: Hasty
    Ability: Unburden

~ Rain Dance
    ~ Acrobatics
    ~ Weather Ball
    ~ Thunder

This Drifblim makes a great Rain supporter, late game sweeper, and revenge killer all in one. Its good bulk and amazing Speed after Unburden make up for its sub par offenses. For example, it can 2HKO Claydol with Weather Ball, while only being 3HKO'd back by Ice Beam. When something like Lanturn or Ferroseed come in and try to wall it, you can always go to one of your SS sweepers to force them out and continue to deal damage to your opponent.

Many sweepers also can't do much to Drifblim. For example, Timid LO Sceptile fails to OHKO Drifblim with HP Ice, while Drifblim easily OHKO's it back with Acrobatics. It's even worse after Drifblim has used up its item, as Sceptile will be outsped and OHKO'd by Acrobatics. Maximum Speed and a positive nature allow an Unburden boosted Drifblim to, at worst, speed tie with Jolly Kabutops in the Rain. This is important for Drifblim, as it would otherwise give Kabutops an opportunity to sweep with the Rain it set up, while Kabutops could instead be OHKO'd by Thunder.

I've yet to try this with Sunny Day or no weather at all but I have a feeling that they would still work quite well.

18. Machineae

Machineae ex NU leader

^ I like the idea of a weather oriented Drifblim. That set looks sloppily put together but I'm gonna definitely work out a proper set for it.

19. Ghostbone

Ghostbone Member

Sceptile (M) @ White Herb
    Trait: Unburden
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd
    Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
    - Leaf Storm
    - Earthquake
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Giga Drain

Mixtile, like life orb sceptile except with white herb to activate unburden, to allow it to fire off two powerful leaf storms, and earthquake to hit poison and fire types. It doesn't need any speed investment as it outspeeds everything after unburden anyway (and to be honest it needs as much attack as it can get). Hidden power ice gives greater coverage, and giga drain is an alternate STAB. Very effective if combined with hazards and pursuit users, as it can easily tear through common walls after some residual damage and beat revenge killers.

20. WizzleKidd

WizzleKidd Wizzlin' PO since Feb '11

[​IMG]

Charizard @Life Orb
    Ability: Blaze
    Evs: 252 Sp.Atk/ 252 Spd/ 4 Sp.Def
    Modest (+Sp.Atk, -Atk)
    - Substitute
    - Fire Blast
    - Air Slash
    - Roost

I have been finding this set REALLY effective as most people expect a scarf and switch out allowing Zard to set up a sub and then proceed to hit hard with its good dual STAB. Even with rocks on the field, I find it easy by simply roosting off the damage once you switch in on the many fighting/grass/bugs in the tier. Think of it as a faster Moltres. Modest nature for extra power as Timid is not going to be outspeeding anything note-worthy that Modest doesn't already outspeed.

21. Mylo Xyloto

Mylo Xyloto if your world falls apart, i'd start a riot

PO Trainer Name:
    Mylo Xyloto
    A major problem with this set is Weezing any suggestions?

22. Halsey

Halsey Wildstar

PO Trainer Name:
    Kat
    The only way Sceptile can beat Weezing is with HP Psychic. I know it sounds dumb but HP Psychic Sceptile was actually used in DPP UU to deal with Weezing and Toxicroak, while still having a super effective on Venusaur. I haven't tested HP Psychic Sceptile in LU but I guess it can work if you really need to beat Weezing, it also hits Vileplume and Amoonguss for super effective damage so is not that bad.

23. Ghostbone

Ghostbone Member

Weezing is NU and hardly ever encountered.
    HP Psychic Sceptile is walled hard by Sigilyph, which is a much greater threat.

24. Dzi

Dzi So Nyuh Shi Dae

[​IMG]

Sigilyph (F) @ Flame Mail
    Trait: Magic Guard
    EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 24 SDef / 208 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Charge Beam
    - Stored Power
    - Cosmic Power
    - Roost

> You might compare this set with the offesnsive Clefairy set. This is one of my favorite sets that are very versatile. It works best with sand though. Charge Beam to raise Sp. Attack and Stored Power's BP. Cosmic Power To raise both defenses. Stored Power as the main offensive move. Roost to regain health obviously. Flame Mail to AVOID TRICK. Yes, your reading the right words. TO AVOID TRICK. Xdd Since trick cripples this set so much, Flame Mail [or any mail actually] can stop trick users. [info from Soren.] Best counter to this set is Krookodile [But Krookodile is UU now cheers! :P]. It resists both Charge Beam and Cosmic Power. Bs Ground-Dark Typing. This set can kill unprepared teams without so much effort.

Best Teamate to this poke is Entei. It covers Sigilyph's ice weakness. :3

Thats the set! :)

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  25. Mylo Xyloto

Mylo Xyloto if your world falls apart, i'd start a riot

PO Trainer Name:
    Mylo Xyloto
    -_- Raikou is UU ...

26. Dzi

Dzi So Nyuh Shi Dae

> Entei* My fault sorry. :I

27. xxLiamxx

xxLiamxx I LIEK DEM PONIES

I know he isnt LU but he works well

Rotom @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 Def / 252 Hp
    - Thunderbolt
    - Confuse Ray
    - Thunder Wave
    - Substitute

Any suggestions on the ev's and natures?
    Start off with a confuse ray go into a sub use thundrwave spam T-bolt and the occasional confuse ray when they snap out this set works amazing

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  28. Machineae

Machineae ex NU leader

Basic Rotom IS LU.
    252 Def/ 252 SPDef is pretty pointless. Without any HP investment you're really minimizing you're bulk.

29. Endless Sky

Endless Sky New Member

So has anyone else noticed how fantastic Cryogonal is right now? It shuts down nearly all the Ghosts in the tier, beats Sigi, Omastar, and many many other Special attackers. Granted it draws in Escavalier and Entei like no other so having something that can "handle" those two is recommended. I say "handle" because nearly nothing can switch in on Escavalier let alone "handle it".

30. iris

iris Member

I would agree, but it did all that last metagame. In fact, it has gotten significantly worse with escavalier. Every Esca runs pursuit so you may be able to spin once. Once esca usage goes down, which it may because esca is so new that everyone wants to use it, cry may go back to being the best spinner. However, right now, it isn't the most reliable spinner like it was last month.

BR and i were talking about using HP fire just for esca, and it still has trouble with esca. Its speed / bulk / and power are still noted.

31. Endless Sky

Endless Sky New Member

Yeah thats my only issue with it. I still think its a great spinner even if its not the most reliable. I believe Kabutops takes that spot. I would think once people start running HP Fire on everything(which may actually happen) Esca usage will drop and like you said Cryo will be more reliable. Unfortunately HP FIre only ever 2hkos Esca unless you run Modest LO (which why would you).

32. SPS

SPS um ........ no

I would prefer Grass Knot for my coverage ... JS

33. Xdevo

Xdevo Phrasing Super Moderator Tour Director Super Moderator Tour Director

Way to reply to a post made half a year ago.

Grass knot doesn't hit Qwilfish which was much more common in that time.

34. SPS

SPS um ........ no

Grass Knot is a 2HKO on Qwilfish ... no?

35. Xdevo

Xdevo Phrasing Super Moderator Tour Director Super Moderator Tour Director

only after a boost, by which point it has Twave'd you and gtfo'd to whater grass resist it has.

nvm lol

36. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

Qwilfish is extremely light, so no. Even after a boost it does 37% max.

Actually: Detailed Result: 252 +2 SpAtk Life Orb Simipour Grass Knot vs 0 HP/0 SpDef Qwilfish: 28.04% - 32.84%

37. iris

iris Member

its not like qwilfish is the first to switch in though. You could also go sub and beat every qwilfish / status that way but then you lose one coverage move

38. Halsey

Halsey Wildstar

PO Trainer Name:
    Kat
    Why would Qwilfish switch into the monkey?

252SpAtk Life Orb +2 Torrent Simipour (Neutral) Surf vs 252HP/0SpDef Qwilfish (Neutral): 79% - 94% (267 - 315 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

That is a 50% chances of OHKOing after SR assuming Qwilfish is at max health, which is extremely unlikely. Also most Qwilfish are running speed, to speed creep with other Qwilfish, so Simipour has even more chances of OHKOing.

So yeah I would run Grass Knot for Slowking or Hidden Power Grass for Lanturn.

39. Machineae

Machineae ex NU leader

Kabutops (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Swift Swim
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    - Swords Dance
    - Rock Polish
    - Waterfall
    - Stone Edge

Yeah. The LU version of Terrakion perhaps? Switches fighting for water which is a mixed bag of good and bad.

40. Orcelot

Orcelot AKA Angelus

You'd be better off with Rain Dance over Rock Polish. It increases the power of Waterfall, while still boosting Kabutops' speed.