1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

Suggestion Thread!

Discussion in 'Mafia' started by GreenWater10, Jan 3, 2012.

Moderators: Pamitha, Water
  1. GreenWater10

GreenWater10 GreenWater10

This is a thread to post what suggestions you have for mafia.

Please post suggestions that don't complicate mafia, but helps mafia.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  2. Bidoof Trainer

Bidoof Trainer New Member

I think it should be determined on how many times you've logged onto the mafia channel.

3. Darkkis

Darkkis The Superhero of Mafia

^ No, then some trolls would just log in and log out and ruin it.

4. Mavs>Heat

Mavs>Heat Member

I disagree, we will just have to deal with the idiots.

5. Hobbes2

Hobbes2 Aren't I dead or something

PO Trainer Name:
    Hobbes2
    theres a reason we have no rating system:

when people awesome like serpentine play a lot, people tend to ragekill then #1 a lot *cough*me*cough* and they lose round 1, despite being great players.

Someone nobody cares to kill survives until the end and gets more 'points' than Serp, even though they aren't as good.

Authsyndrome, Hating, etc etc it makes for a bad rating system, if there is one.

6. TrueStory

TrueStory New Member

How about having a codename system -if- there is ever a ranking system implemented, Whenever a mafia game starts you have the option to create a codename to hide your real Username, -optional codename- Meaning it can be toggled.

7. GreenWater10

GreenWater10 GreenWater10

tat would sound hard truestory. and i would probably agree with hobbes' statement. Any other suggestions?

8. Freddichio

Freddichio New Member

I know that I, for one, tend to end up ragekilled for no obvious reason quite a bit. If we were to hypothetically impliment a rating system, it'd have to be peer-based, with one rating per person per IP. That way, people like Serp and Ozma who are ALWAYS ragekilled can still be voted up by other players. I think the idea of a second mafia channel that the auths would have to give permission to access would be potentially quite good, but means that in both rooms we'd lose a lot of players. In fact, since the vast number of players who play regularly are 'pros', then the first room would be dead. Then in order to keep more people coming in as people leave, we'd have to let more people in before they've 'proved themselves', and we'd end up with the first scenario anyway

9. Axel.

Axel. Just a Nobody.

I agree to no rating because sometimes you get guys that are like "Oh I'm going to spam caps and say to samurai to kill someone i don't like even if they are on good side or say they are bad when they aren't so they get randed."
    Honestly there is enough drama sometimes in mafia doesn't need more when your rating goes to hell cuz you got killed n1 because haters gonna hate.

10. LadyHoliday

LadyHoliday ♥Joyful Soul♥

PO Trainer Name:
    LadyHoliday
    The channel thing would be weird since one mafia would be extremely populated and the other would probably have only 1 player, well thats what I'm taking it as. Also, the rating system would get people n1 killer more often. I'm ranting I think, but oh well! I think mafia should just be left the way it is with people. ^^~♥

11. yiran

yiran Become a Magical Girl!

If the server doesn't get stressed by this, I think being able to create a channel with a mafia game in any custom channel would make the good mafia players gather at one channel, and thus alleviating the problems of 'mafia idiots.'

And codenames? I just get a ton of alts. P: But I probably wouldn't mind it being implemented.

12. Serpentine

Serpentine Member

The possibility of a "rating" system has been brought up before. There are far too many variables for it to be implemented. How would you do it?

Number of logins? People can abuse this by logging in and out
    Most wins? I'd like to think that I'm one of the better mafia players, and I stay alive to win in probably 5% of the games I play.
    Voting? Mafia channel now becomes a popularity contest.
    Activity? Doesn't show skill in the slightest, just shows that either a) you're in the channel a lot, or b) hurdur join every game

13. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

Serpy has a valid point. However, implementing a winning log may prove to be a problem. Personally, I feel counting how many joins may do the trick. Ad well as counting the number of infractions of any person.

14. Yttrium

Yttrium Well-Known Member Developer Developer

PO Trainer Name:
    Yttrium
    Hm.... this isn't really a general mafia suggestion, but I was thinking maybe for ClanWars "Neighbour Assassin" could become "North Assassin" and "Northwest" could become "West"? Just an idea to include all the cardinal directions separately... (for some reason it always bothered me xD)

For the "help" description it could involve something like the climate in the northern part of the village is harsh and no one really wants to get involved in the clan wars, but the north is also very resourceful as a result and as the attributes of the NA.

15. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

Shouldn't you take that up with the author of the theme? o.o

16. Yttrium

PO Trainer Name:
    Yttrium
    I don't know who it is though.

17. Thrighragon

Thrighragon To Slay a Samurai

Im against the codename b/c ppl can tell by your normal attitude, etc and hatekill whoever they want.

18. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

/themeinfo

Then scroll over to Clanwar.
    Not too many people pay attention to that (I don't count myself.)

19. Demonic Cake

Demonic Cake The cake is not a lie...

The codename thing works for a bit for me with my 100+ alts, but then I start saying stuff people are used to me saying and then they realise and start killing me n1 again. ^^;
    Most people aren't so inherently targeted, though.

The problem - how are you meant to PM someone with a codename if you don't know who they are?

20. Yttrium

PO Trainer Name:
    Yttrium
    It's "unknown"

21. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

Erm... Go over to theme approval check and scroll for it?

22. Marche Radiuju

Marche Radiuju crush it casually

PO Trainer Name:
    Juggler
    I suggest two mafia channels; when it's peak hours, games can fill easily in under 30 seconds, and when you die early there's really nothing to do for the next 10 minutes, and you'll miss the next start up if you go to tournaments or trivia or whatever.

If that doesn't happen, though, I just suggest being able to set the channel to flash you when a new game starts (or when certain themes start). That would be very useful.

23. Thrighragon

I suggest the other Mafia channel be called "Pro Mafia", where you can get banned for being such an idiot. (Not PMing, not paying attention to every line, and claiming when BG is dead) When those newbies join, they will barely get through 1-2 games before they get /cbanned. This allows for many players to play and filtering noobs at the same time.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  24. Mavs>Heat

Mavs>Heat Member

I think one channel is good enough right now. Or else, the noob channel won't have enough people to start games, so they can't become a better player, will lose interest, etc.

25. Yttrium

PO Trainer Name:
    Yttrium
    What's considered being an idiot can vary on opinion though. There are people who don't PM unless the person proves themselves good, which is perfectly reasonable.

26. Thrighragon

List of things i consider idiotic that i think everyone agrees on
    1. Not pming when one is proven insp.
    2. Bandwagoning against claimed insp as villy.
    3. PLing cleaned people
    4. Killing cleaned people as vigi
    5. Not tying things up as villager if a pr is getting voted out by mafia
    6. Claiming when bg is dead.
    7. Claiming insp as villager when bg is alive
    8. Suiciding as villy
    9. Randomly voting someone as Kuja (excluding when youre revealed or there is one more killer)
    10. Overpredicting/not killing confirmed prs as Mafia
    11. Randing a PR as villager.
    12. Revealing as Spy when bg is dead/on someone else
    13. Revealing as PL when bg is dead/on someone else
    14. Killing a confirmed mafia as another mafia
    15. Spamming kills as mafia and target changing a lot
    16. Not knowing the roles of default
    17. Not protecting claimed
    18. Falling for someone's name like "bad"[/HIDE]

27. Demonic Cake

19. Killing Cake all the time for being a cake
    20. Killing Auth all the time for being auth
    21. Killing anyone all the time for no good reason

28. Marche Radiuju

PO Trainer Name:
    Juggler
    I also thought of making the second channel a 'pro' channel, but half the time there aren't full games on one channel anyway, so easier to just call it the overload channel and let people have their small 'pro-only'(whatever that means to them) games, or testing roles/abilities/themes on that one instead of the usual server. I don't think it would split the playerbase at all, it's not like Tournaments/tours where you can't play two games at once effectively; unless you're set up ridiculously, like samurai on both channels, then it won't be too much, and it adds another dynamic to the skill of the game.

29. Hobbes2

PO Trainer Name:
    Hobbes2
    i dont like the idea of a "pro" channel because of reasons mentioned abvoe.

Its basically mafia but with better people, and with people in the 'regular' games slowly being allowed in pro mafia, its just going to become its own regular mafia, and people not allowed in it will probably stop playing because its going to get boring.

Also, pro people make mistakes too, its not like because you are considered pro you can live to the end of the game to show your proness (sounds confusing, but you should know what i mean) so in the end, Pro people do about as much as non-pro people.

Also, what counts a person as pro? Serp serprands people using psycho skills (he watches everyone...), other people do other stuff, and so on. But pro mafia is a joke. being pro is either, A) Play a lot, B) Actually have genuine skill, or C) You do one amazing thing and people think you are pro

So in short, i dislike the idea of pro mafia.

But i do like the idea of a Test mafia channel, where certain highly regarded players (or just MA's and Mods) can go to test a theme to see its good, but not a full fledged pro mafia channel

30. Serpentine

Serpentine Member

I guarantee you that if we make a pro channel for peak times, the games wouldn't get past 10 players.

31. Demonic Cake

Perhaps giving a note upon entering the channel/changing name to any non-auth who have a name too long to play, if that's possible? I just feel that'll be useful somehow.

32. Hobbes2

PO Trainer Name:
    Hobbes2
    you mean, say if someone like "Skepticificaliserderf" (lol) joins, their name is too long so it'll say "Your name exceeds the limit. Please shorten or change it" ?

33. Marche Radiuju

PO Trainer Name:
    Juggler
    I'd actually prefer it if you could change your name with a script (ala irc, /changename _____). About three times I've not joined a game because I cbf to open teambuilder and change it, when I would've just typed it if it had that script.

34. Thrighragon

ok the limit does stuff but ppl can use a 12-letter spam name like .pz.lajdfldp I think dots should be banned as well. And for test mafia i have to say the same serp said about pro mafia. There will barely be more than 10 players, and they don't get to see larger games. While one may say a mafia "Broken", the good side may win 6 times in a row. And yeah. Idiots is why i don't join too many games anymore. (I tend to join last to make sure potential big-time idiots don't join) And haters.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  35. Demonic Cake

Yes, precisely. :D

And also a way of stopping users on Android being able to send /join - not blocking them from the channel though in case they want to watch - so that we don't have to have games ruined by people on Android?

36. Chinchou

Chinchou Endangered Species

So if Gold plays a game with you, you are most likely not an idiot.

37. Thrighragon

Atleast not a newbie

38. Lamperi

Lamperi I see what you did there

No, unless they are using the default team, in which case they wouldn't be joining mafia channel. You can't tell a difference between unless you PM them, and I'm not setting up a bot to PM every person >_>

39. Unclever Name

Unclever Name Member

That would seem a little extreme. The Android users ten to stay away from us, at least. The few who don't don't ruin the game, per say, because sending a challenge to talk (though it will almost always be ignored in Mafia games) is a way to chat. I wish there to be something to do aside from creating a bot to pm. Is there any other way to develop, say, a list of of Android users? On the Current Players list, their names could be a different color so you know whose challenges to accept? Then there's the problem with the list. Any way to track the Android users from their log-in via what PO they download? (Unless I'm mistaken in what the different downloads actually install, of course)

Just a thought.

40. Lamperi

Lamperi I see what you did there

Like said, only two ways to "detect" android users, is to see if they have the default team of 6 Cleffa or if the PM autoanswers.

Moderators: Pamitha, Water