1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas For Tournaments

Discussion in 'Tournaments' started by 1PlayNude, Jul 20, 2010.

Moderators: Edna, fsk, HSOWA, Hurricane, Xdevo
  1. 1PlayNude

1PlayNude No Fun Is Allowed

THIS THREAD IS FOR TOURNAMENT IDEAS ONLY​

I understand that not everybody has the free time on there hands to host a tourney, but alot of people have some cool ideas of what might be fun for a tournament.

List your ideas here!

If somebody likes your idea they may decide to host a tournament based on your theme in the future!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2010
  2. Slipperjeans

Slipperjeans Loose pants

*their hands; a lot of people

Someone could host a mono-color tournament.
    But I still think BL Triples is the best kind of tournament ever.

3. Rodneyfire1

Rodneyfire1 New Member

I was thinking about doing a free-for-all tournament with 36 challengers and mark sleep clause.

4. Eternal

Eternal こんにちは。

Explain?

5. Miles Edgeworth

Miles Edgeworth New Member

Metronome tourney.

Does it need any explanation?

6. eric the espeon

eric the espeon is an espeon.

Standard Ubers Doubles tourney.

7. monkeycar

monkeycar New Member

I think, you should have a tourney with one specific group and or type. Examples.. All grass Pokemon, or all water.. maybe a selection of both.. Another idea which I think I talked to you about is pre-evolutionary battles, or even worse an eevee tournament.. theirs enough to go round plus all the different moves..

8. Darkkis

Darkkis The Superhero of Mafia

Smeargle tournament :> You can only use Smeargle.

9. Eternal

Eternal こんにちは。

- Metronome tournament can be fun, but is all about luck.
    - I like the idea of having a Uber Doubles Tournament. Nothing too complicated.
    - A only-Smeargle tournament sounds fun too.

You guys can send Oneballjay and I your applications for these. (they must follow the format written in the tournament guidelines thread)

@monkeycar, I'm not sure what you mean by "all grass Pokemon, all water." Isn't that called a "Monotype" tournament? And a tournament consisting of pre-evolved Pokemon (aka NFE) is very complicated since no one has access to analyses and stuff to learn from.

10. Sleuth

Sleuth Member

Why not have an tournament consisting of only the top 100 players (tiers discussed later), and anybody else can bet on victors. If a person bets the victor of five individual tournament matches correctly, they get to fight the champion as a last ditch effort to obtain glory ^^.

11. Slipperjeans

Slipperjeans Loose pants

Too much elitist.
    Also, PO is new and rankings are very volatile now. You can get from 500 to 50 in only a few battles.

12. destinybond

destinybond Server Staff

All smeargles wil be dominate by scarfed fighting moves, calling it right now.

What happened to the good old Mono Color Tournaments we used to do?(except now theyd be controlled somehow, like by pokedex color, which excludes shiny coloration)

13. Denizen

Denizen New Member

I was thinking perhaps a Little Cup esque tier, in which the only pokemon allowed are 2nd Evolutions out of a three-pokemon line. Then it's a sort of mix up of NU and UU. I think that could be quite interesting.

14. Marley Rose

Marley Rose Magical Girl

PO Trainer Name:
    Illyasviel
    Mono-Colour tourney! That idea just seems soooo fun, i even suggested it to OBJ in PM like weeks ago.

15. Eternal

Eternal こんにちは。

Oh right, Fighting-type moves will be banned. I have participated in a Smeargle-only tournament once before and it was very fun and enjoyable. With just one simple rule banned (no Fighting-type moves).

Also, a Mono-color tournament would be nice. Except that there aren't many Pokemon to make a team out of from one color. So you'll have to give a player two or three colors to work from instead of one.

16. destinybond

destinybond Server Staff

Well then, i am determined to find a move that will ohko all varients of smeargle

and eternal, there are lots of pokemon per color, as shown here

17. meztips

meztips The name is Bond.

And there are still the shiny forms if you still can't find enough good pokemon for that color.

18. destinybond

destinybond Server Staff

The trouble with shiny forms is that the pokedex doesnt classify them, so there will be inconsistancies in what shiny is deemed what color. Unless of course, someone wants to go through and classify hundreds of shiny sprites

19. Gtfo

Gtfo blinded

What about a mono-region? You choose a region, you need to have in your team the starters 3rd form and other 3 pokes that you like from that region.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  20. Gtfo

Gtfo blinded

or maybe a tourney where every at round we play a different tier like: NU-->UU-->OU Doubles-->Ubers-->OU Single or something like this

21. Aquadude

Aquadude Member

PO Trainer Name:
    pokemon trainer Adam
    How about this for an idea one pokemon from each (non-uber) tier what I mean by that is one from LC one from NFE one fom NU one from UU one from BL and one from OU. the LC pokemon would be allowed to be level 100 to fit the tournament.

22. meztips

meztips The name is Bond.

Then they wouldn't be LC...

23. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

If you did mono color, it kind of looks like Blue would be broken, even barring Ubers.

24. destinybond

destinybond Server Staff

I think other colors could give them a run, like purple, suprisingly

25. Eternal

Eternal こんにちは。

If you eliminate all the useless Pokemon (since people would obviously go for OUs and UUs), then you will only have a very small amount of usable Pokemon in the 10 different mono-colors. For example, if the color was Pink, then you would only see a player make a team out of: Blissey, Clefable, Lickylicky, Milotic, Mesprit, Miltank, Mr.mime, Porygon, Slowbro, Slowking, Wigglytuff. Which would even be a good team.

Here's an example of this sort of tournament that was hosted on Teamuber: http://teamuber.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8001

The host chose two different colors per Round for users to make a team out of. This allows users to spot threats of both colors and make a viable team to win with.

But, we can choose one color per player IF the colors are given to them by PM. We can't allow people to pick their color because then they would just pick the best color to make a team with. And so you'll see everyone using the same teams.

26. Erebos

Erebos Banned

blue would not be broken, because yellow would hand them their ass easily.

mono color could easily turn into monotype...

27. Gtfo

Gtfo blinded

What about a tournament where the moves of our pokes doesnt have to be on the smogon page of that poke, just to make some original movesets.

28. Ich777Ich

Ich777Ich New Member

Not sure if anyone has said this but maybe a monotype tourney? I'm not sure how it would play out, just that everyone's pokemon on a team would have to be the same type. Dual types would be allowed (Like you could use Lucario on either a fighting or steel team). I think it would be easier for a server to check it by making a whole team have to have a same type in common (No wildcards). Any thought on this idea?

29. Professor Oak

Professor Oak same Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
  30. B. Rizzo

B. Rizzo A relic of the past, given new life.

PO Trainer Name:
    B. Rizzo
    I thought that forum run tournaments weren't going to be allowed until the sim got out've beta, and if you guys went back on your word for this then thats bullcrap, because I requested to make the first forum wide one.

31. 1PlayNude

1PlayNude No Fun Is Allowed

Well if you want to host one, read the rules on how to. Feel free to pitch your idea to Eternal or myself. If we approve you can host one.

32. WorldsBestTrainer

WorldsBestTrainer New Member

I think someone should host a double battle tourney no restrictions

33. Xdevo

Xdevo Phrasing Super Moderator Tour Director Super Moderator Tour Director

Timed Co-ordinated Team Building tournment.

These are always only one day events although the teams could techinally join to make a full-blown tourney.

34. Ice-eyes

Ice-eyes Member

Yeah, the TCTB thing worked pretty well when we did some NU ones coordinated on PNU. It would probably work for any other tier just as well.

How about a tournament where teams have to do a TCTB each round for a different format (normal tiers, BL, Suspect Stage 3 etc.)

35. POrepresentative

POrepresentative New Member

We need a 1v1 tourny

now!

36. destinybond

destinybond Server Staff

37. Eternal

Eternal こんにちは。

Problem with the TCTB is that everyone that's joining has to be on the server at the same time. Which is almost impossible for everyone of different timezones to be in. While it's also impossible to host it on Beta server since other tournaments go on and hundreds of users are online.

We can turn off all tournaments and create a "TCTB" format tournament. But, most people aren't going to be interested and hosting will be VERY difficult with the amount of users online. While we're restricting whole timezones so not everyone is going to have a chance to participate in it.

38. Gilad

Gilad ¯\(°_°)/¯

-Knock out battles

-one legendary of each group (you need to pick one out of the three regies, one out of the three bird, etc) (Birds, beasts, golems, lake guardian, dragon trio, Weather)

-NFE doubles

-You're not allowed put enetry hazard \ not using a single type (for example, if you choose fire, you can't use heatran, flareon, etc) \ etc.

39. JuanDeLolo

JuanDeLolo New Member

Hi guyz and Girlz,
    I wanna suggest an idea for tournament after these two,or make it now..
    Coz I haven't enough time to host it....
    A trial tournament...It had been in smogon before(the team of EW won),and it is just perfect...
    Let's explain what it is...

Look here :P

Think about make a tour like this ;)

40. Gameguy

Gameguy New Member

All legend tournament but you can't use legends that are almost impossible to beat like Darkrai.

Moderators: Edna, fsk, HSOWA, Hurricane, Xdevo