1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[RBY] RBY/Stadium NU

Discussion in 'Past Gens Discussion' started by pokemonnerd, Mar 11, 2012.

1. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

So, I'm here making this little thread to bring awareness of how awesome Stadium NU is(since we have no RBY yet), even though it's technically a fake tier since NU, let alone UU, didn't exist back then(thanks goes to RBY2k10 for making it). This thread is also to eventually talk about how much of a god tier pokemon Machamp is, if it's not just hilariously broken.

So yeah. Go here, make a team, and try it out. It's pretty damn fun, especially when you remind yourself that NFEs like Abra exist in it.

2. Xdevo

Xdevo Phrasing Super Moderator Tour Director Super Moderator Tour Director

BAN MACHAMP

This meatagame is actually pretty decent for having less than 25 pokemon in it. Also, dat hax

3. Crystal_

Crystal_ Active Member

Machamp doesn't look that broken (I know, i'm just theorymoning). But I mean, pretty much everything can hit it hard and outspeed Machamp, and actually, in UU, Machamp was also thought to be so good in theory because nothing seemed to matchup well enough, but he ended up sucking. At first glance looks like Seadra is better and more likely to be broken, but again, theorymoning.

And there are also some NFEs to be considered: Dragonair, Staryu, Abra, Rhyhorn, Weepinbell, Slowpoke, Exeggcute, Drowzee, Gastly.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  4. TheUserFormerlyKnownAsFPT

TheUserFormerlyKnownAsFPT Woof

Weren't crits based on speed back in the day? Then Electrode certainly could be interesting down in NU.

I like the look of Flareon too. It actually has STAB and Body Slam to ammend its speed. Agility Beedrill could be usable if Abra becomes a force in the tier.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  5. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

Well, Machamp is more "broken," certainly not on the level of, say, Mewtwo in OU. It's just extremely annoying because it's so damn bulky(Abra's Psychic does ~80%, that's as hard as anything's hitting it) and almost always takes a pokemon and a half down with it since it hits like a truck. I know how it performs in UU though, and doesn't exactly deserve a spot in it since the overall improved bulk of the tier makes it kind of "meh."

Everything else is either easily checked to hell and back due to the nature of the pokemon. You can literally fit Mega Drain on over half the tier for Omastar, Magneton never gets past Marowak/Onix or Vileplume, etc. Although I thought half the things available would be a hell of a lot better than they really are as well. Magneton getting Blizzard(Mimic of course) from Omastar if the opponent decides to try and sac it is funny, though.

It's funny, because the tier kind of has a rock/paper/scissors kind of flow to it due to Magneton, Marowak and Omastar, when two or more of them are present on opposite teams, and there are other trinities that check eachother as well. There are a lot of situations like that in RBY in general but it's more pronounced down here.

6. Marche Radiuju

Marche Radiuju crush it casually

PO Trainer Name:
    Juggler
    Ever faced Scyther with Sleep Powder(Mimic)? Damn. Also, I dunno if you guys used him, Onix is bulkingest and even outspeeds Omastar if you need to finish it (but don't rely on 2hkoing with EQ). You'd think Electrode would be good, but you kind of have to pick between Twave, Tbolt, Reflect, Explosion, and Screech for a movepool.

Flareon is okay, but serves best as revenge. Fire Blast hits hard on most things(51% on Machamp...), it's fast enough, and Quick Attack is invaluable. I like Rapidash, because of Reflect, but whatever.

Omastar has a lot of power, but Marowak is the star here; Counter to 2hko hitmon/scyther after anything, Onix does under 50% with Explosion, not to mention resisting the common twaves. I dunno why you guys are playing Abra and Machamp, when you could be having fun with Weezing or Aerodactyl(Sky Attack haha).

7. Blitzamirin

Blitzamirin Waluigi! Number one!

PO Trainer Name:
    Blitz
    Sub Sky Attack <3

Abra has a Base 105 Special. It can hit hard and take some Special hits. Lack of Recover sucks though (If it had it in Stadium, it would be a good para spreader similar to his big brother in OU)

8. Isa

Isa Well-Known Tauros

PO Trainer Name:
    Isa
    Rhyhorn is the best Ground Pokémon in the metagame - the boost to Substitute is helpful for him as he has it on his moveset already. Don't bother with Onix or Marowak. Onix has pitiful attack and dies so quick to any special move it isn't funny. Also, his physical bulk isn't that much better than that of Rhyhorn. Onix takes 46.20% max from a Snorlax Self-Destruct, Rhyhorn takes 50.24% max. Compare this to a Moltres Fire Blast, where Rhyhorn takes 46.28% max but Onix takes 61.54%. Then you look at their offensive stats, and...188 attack for Onix? NOPE.
    (source: http://www.rby2k10.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=psd&action=display&thread=1112)

Scyther is one of my favorite NU Pokémon, but he sucks because of Rhyhorn/Omastar/Gastly. Swords Dance+Wing Attack is a 2HKO on Gastly according to someone I cannot remember the name of, but then you have to drop one of Agility/Hyper Beam/Slash/Double-Edge (Swords Dance obviously is not an option to drop). I'd drop Agility for that, though.
    Mimic seems like a gimmick that COULD work out vs. the inevitable Rhyhorn, as long as you get Earthquake. No STAB, but still 318 Attack means it is as strong as Snorlax's Earthquake would be, so a 3HKO (2HKO with one CH).

Rapidash is a great anti-lead, but Omastar laughs in its face. Rhyhorn has to be wary of burns and CH Fire Blasts though, which are pretty common. I haven't really tried out Flareon - I think that it could work out decently, but Rapidash is *probably* the better choice.

Electrode is likewise a good anti-lead, but Rhyhorn counters it hard. Toxic is viable just to get a status condition on Rhyhorn (who otherwise rarely gets one). Electrode is probably also the best sleep absorber in NU.

9. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

Electrode packing explosion would be nice

10. Isa

Isa Well-Known Tauros

PO Trainer Name:
    Isa
    Electrode with Screech/Thunder Wave/Explosion/Thunderbolt is pretty nice. Screech is for assuring you go out with a bang.
    Toxic is mostly a gimmick, so...=p