1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

Favourite Graphic Novels

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by marmoteo, May 5, 2012.

1. marmoteo

marmoteo Member

One of the things I got into last year that I never gave much of a go before were graphic novels. While I've had the chance to read some Manga in my mid-teens, I never gave western graphic novels much of a try. Below I'm listing the ones that I read that I would recommend to anyone who's interested in giving them a go. Let me know if you've read any graphic novels yourself and if you have any favourites!

- Fables: Perhaps my favourite graphic novel so far. It's so epic and it has been published for almost ten years now (iirc), so there's more than a hundred issues. If anyone's heard of this tv series called "Once Upon a Time", it technically is inspired in the graphic novel (with the difference that the novel is actually amazing). The characters are all characters from fables, short stories, lullabies, and what not. They have so much personality and the plot never fails to be intrigue. Plus I really like their aesthetics.

- The Walking Dead: Yet another graphic novel in which a tv series was inspired from. The difference with Fables/Once Upon a Time, is that the tv series follows the actual plot of the graphic novel, with little differences. It differentiates itself from other 'Post-apocalyptic Zombie Universes' because it focus more in the relationships between humans, and the fact that ultimately, in a zombie apocalypse scenario, we are the biggest threat to each other. This one is not recommended for those who can't stand a bit of gore here and there.

- Invincible: A great superhero comic made by the same creator of The Walking Dead. It kind of draws inspiration from the DC/Marvel Universes, while presenting an interesting twist on the whole superhero take. Another series that has been published for quite a while, so there's plenty of issues to catch up on.

- The Young Avengers: One of the few Marvel comics I've given a go (aside from sporadic issues). They don't have that many issues, and if you were never exposed to the Marvel Universe, you might find it a bit convoluted, but the characters are very charming.

- Locke & Key: The novel has only one more issue to go before it's finished. The story is technically based in a mansion which holds many secrets in the forms of keys with magical powers. The story is enthralling and the antagonist keeps you on your toes. Aesthetically it's not my favourite, but the story and the universe it gives you is top notch. Ironically, a tv pilot based on the novel was made, but it didn't garner much attention so it never came into light.

2. Key

Key but would u kiss..

I think this is too highbrow for the general population of PO.

3. Dasdardly

Dasdardly Uknown Bird

PO Trainer Name:
    Dasdardly, Eureka
    ^
    The only Graphic Novels I've read are Watchmen and V for Vendetta '- '. (I'm an avid manga reader though.)

4. marmoteo

marmoteo Member

I'll take this as a compliment, thank you!

Watchmen is pretty cool, though. I kinda like superhero universes that are outside DC/Marvel (not that there's anything wrong with them)

5. Dr. Fuji

Dr. Fuji Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Dr. Fuji
    Watchmen are DC... But are also my favourite superhero's after batman.