1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[BW2] Underrated pokemon in NU

Discussion in 'Past Gens Discussion' started by topah, May 12, 2012.

1. topah

topah Active Member

FOR GLORY OF THE KINGDOM

TL;DR etc.

There are lots of viable pokemon in NU that are still untapped after however long the tier has been up. I'm not saying any of these will be in the top % of usage or you should make of team out of 6 of them or anything like that. But I just want to show theres a lot that things you might not of thought of can do. Of course you'll probly never run into these but if you do now you know. These sets are not the best/standard, but they can do things others cant. So if one of your team is looking kinda weak think about the underrated goodies lurking. c: I've tested all of these somewhat, so you know they can work. Some are bordering on gimmick or rely heavily on prediction but they can be used effectively on a serious team.

This is NOT the same as underrated sets on well used pokemon in NU. Like Specs Emboar, Trick Haunter, etc.

[​IMG]
    Anorith- Over 300th in usage, and for good reason. Anorith seems to have no obvious reason for being used instead of Armaldo. Sure it still has ok defenece with eviolite but it misses out on leftovers recovery/ higher attack. What it does have over its evolution is speed. Base 75 allows it to outspeed alot more then its base 45 speed evolution. This makes Anorith the second fastest spinner in NU, only behind Staryu (who is also not well used) now that Cryo is gone (again). Also one of the fastest users of SR.

Anorith @ Eviolite
    Trait: Battle Armor
    EVs: 252 HP/80 Def/176 Spd
    Bold Nature
    Stealth Rock
    Rapid Spin
    X-Scissor
    Rock Blast/ Knock Off

With these evs Anorith reaches 294/258/204 defences which is OK. If sand was still around it would patch up that special defenece. Anyway 176 speed is to outrun max speed base 55's which include Cacturne and Eggy. It can take a hit and OHKO with x-scissor off of its nice 95 base atk. It also can let it spin agianst faster enemies then Armaldo could. Last move is filler, hitting diffrent things. Rock blast breaks subs and ruins bugs, knock off cripples switchins. You could also use EQ but then Haunter will say hi. You obviously dont want it taking special super-effective hits but it can take a neutral or 2.

[​IMG]
    Mawile- The cutest steel-type in NU. Hands down. Also has a amazing movepool for a steel type. Sucker Punch, Taunt, Encore, Baton Pass, SD, Stockpile, Metal Burst, Elemental Punches, Elemental Beams, jeez. If only its stats were better. But it can do alot with what it has reguardless. And why does it get poison fang???

Mawile @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sheer Force
    EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 Def
    Adamant Nature
    Torment
    Iron Head
    Swords Dance
    Substitute/Protect

With decent typing Mawile can come in on resisted hits with no investment on walls, etc. After which it can sub on the switch. Then use torment to alternate between SD and substitute for protection agianst super effective attacks.If they switched in a choice pokemon when you use torment, they will be forced to use struggle or switch. Protect also works like substitute but requires better prediction as they can get around it. After one SD Mawile reaches 590 Atk . Iron Head with STAB and Sheer Force reaches 154 BP. Speed is to outrun max pokes and sub before they can hit with super effective moves. Could use sucker punch too if you could fit it in somewhere.

[​IMG]
    Lampent- Awkward typing that leaves it hit by a lot of things but it works. Has an amazing ammount of
    immunities/resistances to switch into and can hit hard too. Also has a lot of good moves. Acid Armor, Clear Smog, Haze, Taunt, Trick Room. And its cute and thats always a plus right? Not to mention it complety walls any choice sweeper that messes up depending on what move it chooses. And it kills any version of Klinklang which is nice. Well as long as you bother to put a fire move. And dont try to play it like Chandelure/ Haunter because you'll die so fast.

Lampent @ Eviolite
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 SpAtk/252 Spd/ 4 Def
    Modest Nature
    Substitue
    Flamethrower
    Energy Ball
    Shadow Ball

Anything slower? EASY PREY. Anything faster without super effective moves? SEMI EASY PREY. Rock Blast Cinccino? RUN FAST. Yea, so he needs lots of good prediction. Anyway, you would want to switch it in on something slow that you can resist or abuse its many resistances/immunities to switch in. After that sub so they dont pull a surprise toxic or twave from there. Of course beware if switching into a choice attacker if they havent attecked yet cause they will probably anticipate and EQ or something else. If you are playing an experienced player as soon as they see this guy on your team it will make them think twice about using Flare Blitz emboar. In any case Lampent can take alot of punishment as well with eviolite. Abuse its resistances. Coverage moves are for coverage and stats are for stats. Max SpAtk Lampent is 317 which is just dandy. Same speed stat as Eggy so good luck w/speed ties.

[​IMG]
    Lopunny- Other then male popularity. Lopunny has a lot going for it in NU. Besides the gimmicky flame orb set theres about x9001 ways to utilize her outside of the bedroom or flame orb set. Healing Wish (try it its great <3), Fake Out, Taunt, Encore, (Klutz Entrainment?) Baton pass, etc. Those normal types get everything.

Lopunny @ Choice Band
    Trait: Limber
    EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd/ 4 Def
    Adamant Nature
    Switcheroo
    Ice Punch
    Jump Kick/Fire Punch
    Fire Punch/ Frustration

Fact: 99% of the time the opponent will expect flame orb. Ok its not a fact but it is probably around there. This Lopunny aims for one thing, to pound you (lol) with semi-decent strong moves. Even with CB Lopunny only reaches 414 Atk. It does seem like much but the surprise value generally kills somthing. Also it has good coverage so you can probably land a super effect hit. Even with no defence investments it can still take a few hits, provided you dont expect it to survive CC Sawk, etc. After the surprise wears off you can switcheroo. For some reason when I used this people attempted to paralyze Lopunny alot, which was nice as I got lots of free turns. Ice Punch is a must, the other 2 are really optional, use whatever.

[​IMG]
    Mothim- Hey a generic bug/flying type in NU! Now theres something you dont see everyday. And, really, you dont see bug/flying all that often in NU, even Scyther. But do not fret, there is hope for their kind. Bug is a good offensive type in NU, the only downside is weakness to rocks. But if your paranoid about SR you shouldnt be playing NU anyway.

Mothim @ Choice Band
    Trait: Tinted Lens
    EVs: 252 Atk/ 252 Spd/ 4 Def
    Jolly Nature
    U-Turn
    Aerial Ace
    Bug Bite
    Toxic/Protect

All you will use is U-Turn. Ever. Rare is the day you will use something other then U-Turn. Just switch into something slower, bulky psychics/leads/etc and U-Turn, thats it. Even after they anticipate a U-Turn or something, it will hit no matter what comes in hard, thanks to Tinted Lens, which is nice. And you get to bring in an appropriate counter to a weakened pokemon. Aerial Ace and Bug Bite are there if you dont want to switch for whatever reason. You could use Adamant over Jolly and still outspeed positive base 55s (once again Eggy, etc) but more speed lets it switch into more things.

Wormadam-Steel-

Wynaut-

Zorua-

Meganium-

Unfezant-

Beartic-

Seadra-

Parasect- THE ORIGINAL SPOREMASTAH

Whiscash-

Will be adding the above pokes that just are named/any good sets I see~

If you want to add any pokemon you think are unown (<---) and can still wreck feel free to post.
    Or additional sets for any pokes you see above.
    Or you can say these pokemon suck too, which is fine.

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  2. Hobbes2

Hobbes2 Aren't I dead or something

PO Trainer Name:
    Hobbes2
    i gave you the idea for this !

SO i'm going to say Scarf Krokorok. It's a great cleaner and a lot of teams don't expect it. It'll save you quite a few times.

3. topah

topah Active Member

Actually I got the idea after I abused my Lampent/Volbeat/Seadra core. :v
    Also give the set? Dont have to go into detail or anything.

4. Machineae

Machineae ex NU leader

I think its funny that I've used alot of those to get good ranks on the ladder haha.

Some favorites are Beartic, Mawhile, Parasect, Unfezant and Seadra.

Beartic set-
    Beartic (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Snow Cloak
    EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Substitute
    - Focus Punch
    - Icicle Crash
    - Night Slash

Not much to see here. A sub punch set with good coverage. Is a little bit bulky because of the HP investment. Can set up a sub before Weezing can WoW him. Weak to SR ofcourse, so using a spinner is helpful.

Seadra

Seadra (F) @ Eviolite
    Trait: Poison Point
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Rest
    - Disable
    - Ice Beam
    - Scald

Pretty much the same as Alomomola except a bit less specially bulky. Can actually take on choiced pokes well because of disable. Thus making rest a viable healing move because of the switching.

Unfezant
    Unfezant (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Super Luck
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    - U-turn
    - Quick Attack
    - Frustration
    - Aerial Ace

Pretty gimmicky, not the best bird but not the worst. Can actually work well if the premier defensive walls are weakened or taken out.

Bunch of other sets for pokes I don't feel like giving too much of an explantion for~

Shelgon (F) @ Eviolite
    Trait: Rock Head
    EVs: 252 HP / 20 Atk / 236 Def
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk
    - Dragon Dance
    - Outrage

A favorite set of mine. Its quite simple. Shelgon is a bulky bastard. Boost with DD -> Rest+ST to use outrage. During your sleep, you don't get locked into outrage.

Solrock @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Zen Headbutt
    - Baton Pass

Pretty useful lead, isn't too bad in all honesty but there is better choices.

Bellossom (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Chlorophyll
    EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Leech Seed
    - Sleep Powder
    - Substitute
    - Giga Drain

A niche mixed wall. Really isn't too bad once it gets down to it. Just gotta watch out for those bouffalants.

Flareon (M) @ Toxic Orb
    Trait: Guts
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
    - Protect
    - Last Resort

Protect to activate the TO and make LR usable. Proceed to have fun once ghosts are gone. May add speed if theres anything you want to speed creep on.

Persian (M) @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Switcheroo
    - Icy Wind
    - Water Pulse
    - Swift

Pupitar (F) @ Eviolite
    Trait: Shed Skin
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
    - Rest
    - Dragon Dance
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge

Dustox (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Shield Dust
    EVs: 160 HP / 252 SAtk / 96 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Quiver Dance
    - Roost
    - Bug Buzz
    - Sludge Bomb

Gothitelle (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Frisk
    EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Rest
    - Calm Mind
    - Psychic
    - Energy Ball

Beedrill (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sniper
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Swords Dance
    - X-Scissor
    - Brick Break
    - Poison Jab

Mothim (M) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Tinted Lens
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    - Quiver Dance
    - Bug Buzz
    - Energy Ball
    - Air Slash

Magcargo (F) @ White Herb
    Trait: Flame Body
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    - Shell Smash
    - Fire Blast
    - AncientPower
    - Earth Power

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  5. Aurist

Aurist I do not jump for joy. I frolic in doubt.

i love you for this one. seriously mawile is so so underrated and underused in NU - it's genuinely good. This is a set I prefer on it:

Mawile (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sheer Force
    - Swords Dance
    - Iron Head
    - Sucker Punch / Rock Slide / Fire Fang / Baton Pass
    - Ice Punch

more of a setter upper - its speed isnt that awful and can take hits from a lot thanks to its type and natural decent bulk. it hits hard as hell and noone expects it. if only it had less awful special attack, as its special movepool rocks.

6. Machineae

Machineae ex NU leader

I always opted for crunch over SP because of the SF boost...and because I never knew she got SP haha. Mawile is definitely great. When I ran her with a SD BP ninjask I opted for Crunch/Ice Fang/Iron Head/One of the other fangs. Definitely did work.

7. Aurist

No need for Ice Fang when it gets Ice Punch in DW! :) and Sucker Punch is just there because stuff is gonna outspeed it for sure so it kind of needs some priority even if it means taking the LO recoil

8. topah

topah Active Member

Seriously, Mawile is great. :3
    Has as many diffrent sets as Clefable, I mean theres definitely some counters for it.
    But it does not deserve to be only #101 in usage statistics. ;-; (with 20 sets and 9 lead sets :x )
    Heck it could be a physical defender. 85hp/def and intimidate is great.
    SHEER FORCE ALL THE THINGS

9. Wavy

Wavy prince of the sea Server Moderator Server Moderator

SD Mawile is fun stuff indeed! It's really not too great though, as much as I wish it were. I also like physically defensive Mawile, but with top threats including Sawk, Emboar, Golurk, etc, I just end up going "Eeeeh... Mawile not so good"

Lately, I've been toying with Vanilluxe. It's, well, nothing magnificent, but pretty fun. Here's my "are you for reals" set.

Vanilluxe (M) @ King's Rock
    Trait: Ice Body
    EVs: 184 Atk / 72 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
    - Icicle Spear
    - Flash Cannon
    - Hidden Power [Electric]
    - Substitute

It makes me wonder if Vanilluxe has some potential that we're not seeing!

Oh, another fun mon is Illumise! Forgive my terrible EVs.

Illumise (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Prankster
    EVs: 148 HP / 252 Def / 72 SDef / 36 Spd
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Thunder Wave
    - Encore
    - Roost
    - Bug Buzz

A set like this can really mess with people. Can also be pulled off with Volbeat but it misses out on decently strong Bug Buzzes. 36 speed for outspeeding stupid stuff like max speed modest Exeggutor/Torterra. Can run more to outspeed Timid.

10. Parpar

Parpar Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Parpar
    Oh look, something on the NU part of this forum!

Let's start off with CHAMPION HEATMOR

Heatmor (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Flash Fire
    - Sucker Punch
    - Hidden Power [Grass]
    - Fire Blast
    - Focus Blast[/HIDE]

This Pokemon is very underestimated. It's one of the more better offense fire types in NU besides Emboar and it's very easy come in on the Wil-O-Wisp from Weezing, Choiced Flare Blitz Emboar, Lava Plume Torkoal/Flareon, etc.

Prinplup (F) @ Eviolite
    Trait: Torrent
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    - Toxic
    - Scald
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk[/HIDE]

Prinplup is a decent little defensive penguin when you get to the bottom of it. It can take good hits.

My Turn (Mantine) (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Swift Swim
    - Rain Dance
    - Hidden Power [Flying]
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam[/HIDE]

Since Ludicolo is gone, time for Mantine to take his place!

Meh, too lazy to look through all my teams to look for champions, may post other miscellaneous sets later.

11. topah

topah Active Member

@Wavy: I guess when most people think of a nu ice sweeper they slap a scarf on glaceon, etc. Lol kings rock hax ftw. Also thought Volbeat was better in every way compared to Illumise.

@Parpar: Heatmor is rarer then Regigigas apparently. I always thought I would see more of him. And Prinplup makes Heatmor look common. Too bad mantine cant recover like ludi </3.

12. WizzleKidd

WizzleKidd Wizzlin' PO since Feb '11

[​IMG]
    Electabuzz @ Choice Specs
    Vital Spirit
    EVs: 4HP/ 252 Sp.Atk/ 252 Spd
    Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Thunderbolt
    - Volt Switch
    - Hidden Power [Bug]
    - Focus Blast/Psychic

There are so many haters to my HP Bug Electabuzz. Basically it is a nice check to all these pokemon that try put you to sleep, mainly eggy. It is also a great scout with decent special bulk without eviolite with volt switch and 105 speed. It would of had signal beam along with possibly HP Ice, but sadly it is illegal with Vital Spirit. FB if you want to hit steel/rocks harder, or psychic for the grass/poison types.

13. topah

topah Active Member

I have been hearing HP bug is pretty viable in NU. Lots of diffrent HP that works here. Fire/Fighting/Grass etc.

14. Machineae

Machineae ex NU leader

It would be viable considering the plethora of grass and psychic types. Got dat eggy which is hit for x4, Torterra, Scraggy (which I've been seeing more often), Musharna, Duosion, Serp and a ton more pokes.

15. Aurist

I've always seen HP Bug as pretty viable in NU (and LU). Bug has been a great attacking type for a long time in these tiers. That said i'd personally rather bring HP Ice on Electabuzz or stuff like Altaria will have a lot of fun (though with rocks up it can beat it with thunderbolt, just...) but generally it's just also good for beating the quite a lot of ground types in NU, and there's a fair amount of bug resists in NU.

16. flashbolt

flashbolt Member

I ran a defensive Mawile with Intimidate mostly to check Archaeops. Dont know how it would do at the moment because havnt played in a bit. It gets pain split for recovery iirc.

17. Aurist

that sounds like a cool idea but archeops does get earthquake... meaning anything but scarf variant can 2hko and even then mawile won't be able to switch in without losing 80-96% of its health...

18. Xdevo

Xdevo Phrasing Super Moderator Tour Director Super Moderator Tour Director

With Intimidate the non-banded sets can't 2HKO Physically Defensive Mawile, while Pain Split takes Archeops into Defeatist range (or Sucker Punch with Rocks down). I personally wouldn't use it, but it can work I guess.

19. flashbolt

flashbolt Member

Yeah that was why i said check. The team nearly always got SR up so i didnt need to stop it too many times. And the great thing about intimidate is it can help something else check it even when you fodder, so its never a useless ability to have about.
    All that said, Ill be the first to admit there are more effective mons to use. I just did it because random.

20. Aurist

[​IMG]

Despite me and some others going on about this awesome pokemon for months on end it remains hideously underused and underappreciated so I hope this brings some attention to it. Plus it's adorable, and if you think otherwise you are wrong.

Stunfisk is a great special wall. Wanna debate that? Talk to its 109/84/99 defensive spread, pretty passable 81 SAtk accompanied by its amazing unique typing (Ground/Electric) and its status spreading abilities. Here's my favourite set for it:

[​IMG]
    Stunfisk (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Static
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    - Scald
    - Discharge
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk

With this set it checks basically any special attacker not named Exeggutor, and non Leaf Storm-ing Eggs fail to 2hko it. Haunter's specs Shadow Ball and Kadabra's LO Psychic does a max of 40%, Samurott's LO Hydro Pump fails to KO (giving it a good chance to para), Musharna's +1 Psychic does max 42%, . Those are about the top special attacks Stunfisk has to contend with, thanks to its typing giving it plentiful resists. Its typing and passable physical bulk means it can even check some physical pokemon, especially Klinklang who can't 2hko with +1 Frustration and doesn't want to risk a burn or para (especially given how Static affects it). It was one of the very few Gen 5 Pokemon to get Sleep Talk giving it a very handy status spreading + walling niche - Discharge and Scald give it the ability to spread para and burn. Its weakness to Ground is its biggest issue but most pokemon using Earthquake really don't want to take a Scald from it. Its main checks are grass types - Eggy being the most obvious, Amoonguss being another, Torterra also fucks it up. For these reasons it pairs pretty well with flying pokemon - Pelipper, Altaria, Golbat, Mandibuzz, Drifblim can all pair with Stunfisk pretty excellently. I seriously recommend checking out Stunfisk - don't do what everyone else does and assume it's shitty filler because it looks goofy.

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  21. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

I've said it plenty of times and I'll say it again: if stunfisk had reliable recovery, I'd use it. Without it it just needs heal bell/aromatherapy support way too much, since it needs to stay healthy.

22. fidgety

fidgety Active Member

well might as well post this, those of you who have been around a while may recall i was ranting about Dragonair in LU, well it is better in NU, mainly since Waterfall isn't as needed without aggron.

Dragonair (M) @ Eviolite
    EVs: 8 HP / 248 Def / 252 SDef
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Rest
    - Dragon Dance
    - Outrage
    - Substitute

With Eviolite it has 265/342/393 defenses, plus Rest/Shed Skin meaning it can heal up to full and have a 51% chance to wake up ahead of schedual while using DD to boost and Sub to avoid being whitled down by more defensive teams, and with the steels in NU not having the greatest longevity in the world is isn't imposible to blow through them in outrage (due to its rediculously high power).

23. Orcelot

Orcelot AKA Angelus

What's the point of sub on this set, exactly? Dragonair can already shrug of status with Shed Skin, it doesn't need to block it. I would much rather be using something like Extremespeed or Waterfall.

24. fidgety

fidgety Active Member

Absorbing weaker attacks, and making it less needed to rest to get rid of status, though I meant to Put E-Speed there as an option to pick of weakened glass cannons.

25. Hobbes2

Hobbes2 Aren't I dead or something

PO Trainer Name:
    Hobbes2
    Krokorok (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Moxie
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - Crunch
    - Pursuit

Well, you can use adamant for more power, but i prefer jolly because you outspeed more things.

This set is pretty much like its big brother in the higher tiers. Its main role is cleaning, obviously, when most pokemon are either para'd or weakened a bit.

26. Machineae

Machineae ex NU leader

Seconding Stunfisk. I forgot about the little guy for some reason. He actually is very useful. I've used a choice specs set that has work to some success because of the sheer surprise factor. They send out a sweeper to get rid of my ugly stunfisk which responds with a high powered special attack straight to the nose.

27. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

I'm going to just shoot and say Shedinja. And dragonair. Don't see any dragonairs running around.
    Shedinja: Adamant 252 atk/ 252 spd/ 4 sp atk
    Willowisp/Sucker punch/swords dance/ shadow sneak
    Focus Sash

dragonair: Leftovers
    Shed Skin

Jolly
    252 atk/4 hp/ 252 spd

Dragon dance/ outrage/ Extremespeed/ aqua tail

28. SPS

SPS um ........ no

[​IMG] (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Telepathy
    EVs: 200 HP / 56 Def / 252 SAtk
    Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
    - Trick Room
    - Psychic
    - Thunderbolt
    - Shadow Ball

This set works wonders late game when all the opposing dark types are dead and the opposing team is weakened a little, this is the Reuniclus of NU, reaching the same Special Attack as Reuniclus, when Analytic gets released this will be a fucking monster, hitter harder then a Reuniclus, you'll want to run 0 Speed IVs to outslow just about everything, while Max Special Attacks to dish out hits, the EVs allow him to live a lot more hits after LO, although I don't have clacs atm. Tbolt is for the bulky waters such as Lapras and others (yes, I've incountered a Lapras once with this guy)

29. Machineae

Machineae ex NU leader

Once analytic is released using trick room will be pointless :X

30. Parpar

Parpar Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Parpar
    Dragonair (F) @ Eviolite
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
    - Dragon Tail
    - Flamethrower
    - Rest
    - Haze

I've never seen the reasoning in running offensive Dragonair so I present you one of my defensive sets I value so dearly. This set is good if you're running some sort of stall team like I was. Dragon Tail is for the phasing, Flamethrower for the steel types (Also for Eggy and Amoongus), Rest for the recovery (obvious), and haze is pretty much a filler (it can be used for those strange situations). I suggest running a defensive pokemon (CHAMPION PELIPPER) for a core right belong side it because those fighting moves aren't what it's suppose to take.

31. LördKX

LördKX Archivist of Memories

PO Trainer Name:
    KX
    OK, just a few things, and then some of my own favorite sets.

first, @Machineae, Yawn is an option over Night Slash on Beartic, and Facade>Last Resort in every way on the Guts Flareon.

Now, some of the sets I like:

[email protected] -Overgrowth
    252 SpA, 204 Spd, 52 HP
    Timid (+Spd, -Att)
    Substitute
    Calm Mind
    Giga Drain
    Hidden Power (Fire, Rock, Ground)

*note: adjust evs from SpA to Spd and HP so that Spd remains 344 and HP remains 304 after IV changes
    The basic idea of this set is to set up 1/2 calm minds on a grass type that tries to block leech seed, and then go for a sweep using your decent offence, defence, and high speed (enough to beat adamant scarfboar)

[email protected] Band -Insomnia/Frisk
    252 Att, 252 Spd/HP, 4 Spd/HP
    Adamant (+Att, -SpA)
    Shadow Sneak
    Trick
    Will-O-Wisp/Thunder Wave
    Taunt/Shadow Claw/Sucker Punch

The Idea behind this set is to do one of two things: the first is be a late game sweeper with Shadow Sneak, which, coming from 541 attack and being +1 priority, is pretty good for cleaning. The second role is, should it be used early game, to trick the wall that switches in, and then taunt if you think it will try to cripple you. Then, whether because you forced the switch with taunt or because you think they will switch on their own, use Wisp or T-Wave to cripple the switch-in. 252 HP allows you to take the occasional aqua jet of ice shard when playing for the first option, but 252 speed can help you outspeed some naturally fast walls, or walls that invest in speed.

[email protected] Orb -Ice Body (Weak Armor when released)
    252 SpA, 72 HP, 184 Spd
    Modest (+SpA, -Att)
    Automotize
    Ice Beam/Blizzard
    Water Pulse/Flash Cannon
    Hidden Power (choose best for your team)

Pretty straight-foward set. Use automotize, (72 HP evs is for a little bulk and both 4 SR switch ins and 10 LO uses), the sweep with Ice stab and coverage. at +2, you hit >400 speed, and so even beat most scarfers.

[email protected] Herb -Super Luck
    252 Spd, 252 Att, 4 Def
    Adamant/Jolly (+Att. -SpA)/(+Spd, -SpA)
    Sky Attack
    Roost
    U-Turn
    Taunt/Return

The idea is pretty simple. Pokemon with 93 base speed and 105 attack uses roost to stay alive and taunt+u-turn to annoy. Then, when the time comes, it uses a 210 BP move with 30% flinch chance and 25% crit chance.

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  32. SPS

SPS um ........ no

right , i wasnt thinking about that when posting '-'

33. flashbolt

flashbolt Member

I disagree with it being pointless. It can only improve it over telepathy. With analytic it can destroy offensive teams with trick room and bust walls with suped up attacks. And the two strategies synchronise well as both require minimum speed.
    There is also a very niche situation where you may wish to TR so that you are slower than something to hit them hard (ferroseed? maybe munchlax? idk). yeah its very niche. Point is it gives you options and costs you nothing. Shame analytic doesnt work on the switch like payback used to.

34. Machineae

Machineae ex NU leader

If I'm using trick room I rather use sychronize on the off chance I get status'd. Its not like beheeyem is staying around for long anyways.

35. SPS

SPS um ........ no

only problem is once you trick room youll be faster and move first '-', anlytic doesnt count the speed it counts as whoever moves last

36. flashbolt

flashbolt Member

i know i know. it was an either or sort of thing. Just saying it gives options.
    Im only sad that it doesnt hit hard on the switch like payback used to.

37. topah

topah Active Member

I always try to use things like serperior but they dont do enough damage for me. ;-; Maybe I should try coil set.

Banette kills all the things <3.

38. iRyahn

iRyahn New Member

Probably one of the most overlooked Pokemon.. Seviper!
    I could go on all day saying good things about it. I don't understand why I only see me using it in NU because I honestly believe it's a pretty good Pokemon for this tier. It's move pool is surprisingly huge with access to several good special attacking moves that he puts good use to as well as things like switcheroo which almost always catches everybody off guard. Not to mention Shed Skin, he can be pretty fearsome with a choice scarf.

Here is the set I use:
    [​IMG]
    Seviper (F) @ Choice Scarf
    - Switcheroo
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Giga Drain
    - Flamethrower

It owns SO many things, and nobody expects the switcheroo. I have stopped so many annoying eviolite Pokemon with this guy, and he was my major check to Quagsire until he got bumped up and other very commonly seen pokemon that are apparently so 'fearsome' but can't even scratch this guy.

39. Machineae

Machineae ex NU leader

The main reason would be that even with a choice scarf, its not too fast. It also doesn't have a lot of KO potential. While its movepool is great, it would need a LO or something else (maybe expert belt) to use its great coverage, as it needs a power boost and the ability to switch moves.. However without choice scarf it only reaches 252 speed (assuming max evs and timid nature).

It could be a poke for cleaning up I guess. Maybe if you know your opponent has only 1-3 pokes left who will take SE or neutral damage to one of your moves of choice.

40. Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom Long time hater of stall

Nice thread, but I think you should've suggested a few more movesets.

Mothim runs a very good Quiver Dance sweeper set, and Iron Head may hit hard but its poor coverage is a letdown so Mawile will need something else.