1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

VOLTURN! [rmt]

Discussion in 'PO Classics' started by Annoying Orange, May 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange sweet creature Server Moderator Social Media Rep Server Moderator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    Hello, person looking at this RMT. You are now looking at the most well-put-together VolTurn teams in existence. I haven't literally laddered with this team on my main alt because of anti-laddering, but I took it to smogon and won eight battles in a row with it. On the ninth battle, I lost due to a SE MISS (SE always misses...) on a Dragonite. This team has won me 21 tours (not including clear skies and random battle) in #Tournaments on the main server. So you are probably saying "boring" in your head right now, but here comes the good part...

~The Team~
    [​IMG]

Now I know what you're thinking..Scizor, Rotom-W, and Landorus... MORE BORING. Well, I can't say much more than it's the best three-pokemon core for any volturn team. All three of them are choiced on this team..which may be changed. So far, though, it's working just fine. Heatran, Starmie, and Dragonite provide decent defencive and type coverage. But, they provide an EXCELLENT offensive coverage. So, here we go, into details..

~A Detailed View~

LANDORUS
    [​IMG]
    Landorus (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Sand Force
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
    - Earthquake
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - U-turn
    - Stone Edge

Okay, when most people see Landorus in front, they think of either U-Turn or a regular SR Landorus. (most likely scarf) I chose this one because of a lot of reasons. My main reason is this, it can revenge kill a +1 Gyarados and a +1 Dragonite locked on Outrage. Also, there's lots of sand teams lurking about...so Sand Force along with Stone Edge and Earthquake are a force to be reckoned with. The main move, however...is of course U-Turn. When all else fails and you don't know exactly what opponent is going to do, U-Turn into safety. Hidden Power Ice is for the Dragons and, of course, Gliscor and other Landorus.~

HEATRAN
    [​IMG]
    Heatran (M) @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Fire Blast
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Earth Power
    - Stealth Rock

Heatran..I never really used it much after D/P/Pt..until now! This set may add toxic soon, but probably not. You can come in on almost every dd Dragonite unless they have Extremespeed and Earthquake..or the occasional waterfall. Heatran was the best "rocker" I could fit in this team because of the type coverage, and even with only that, it works exceptionally well. Fire blast does big damage on anything that isn't specially bulky or resistant to..with or without a Flash Fire boost. Earth Power can kill off weakened Tyrannitar...which I tend to troll Roosters with it a lot. Hidden Power Ice is a must in this metagame for at least one poke. It, again, takes out just about every flying/dragon in one hit (excluding Multicale Dragonite) and with the trusty help of it's item, Air Balloon, takes out that annoying ass Gliscor.~

DRAGONITE
    [​IMG]
    Dragonite (F) @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Multiscale
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Fire Punch
    - Outrage
    - ExtremeSpeed
    - Dragon Dance

By now after seeing the recolors...you have to be thinking SPRITE...but that's not what it means, it stands for the move colors for Volt Switch and U-turn...anyways, this is a standard Dragonite set that works exceptionally well in this team. Besides all the volturning back and forth, this team needed a sweeper. Dragonite was the sweeper the team needed. I had the 5 other pokemon picked out already and when I was looking at it closely, I decided I needed a dragon. Dragonite can pretty much set up a Dragon Dance on anything that doesn't kill it in one hit...which is just about everything. Fire punch 1-2hko's ferrothorn at +1 and there's the possible burn/crit...which I do count. Outrage from even one DD cripples 99% of the pokes and Extremespeed from such a powerful pokemon as Dragonite with a boost is next to deadly itself.~

STARMIE
    [​IMG]
    Starmie @ Life Orb
    Trait: Natural Cure
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam
    - Thunderbolt
    - Rapid Spin

This thing has everything in one package. Where to start...? Okay, we know sand teams are lurking a lot..and they carry mostly ground and rock pokemon. Starmie OHKO's almost, if not, all of them with a Life Orb boosted Hydro Pump. Let's not forget though, that along with all the sand teams, there are rain teams lurking around quite often too. So with that in mind, it kills off a lot of pokemon with Hydro Pump AND Thunderbolt against rain teams. Here's the coolest part about the whole team... Even if a pokemon sets up Toxic Spikes, you don't have to spin them off, no pokemon is effected by them except Starmie. (which has Natural Cure) But even with that, rocks and spikes are a little threat..so spin them off. Ice beam is just that filler move for which Latios highly fears.~

ROTOM
    [​IMG]
    Rotom-W @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Levitate
    - Volt Switch
    - Trick
    - Hydro Pump
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

Alright, well...unless you didn't pay attention to the name of the team, you'd be wondering where the VOLT part of this team is...and here it is. Sure, this is also a standard set Rotom, but it fits SO WELL with this team. Anyways, the point with this pokemon is simple, Trick off on a wall poke and get some Leftovers. Afterwards, you'd want to volt switch on anything that could resist a Hydro Pump. Hidden Power Fire is ever so obviously for Scizor and Ferrothorn. (2 of the 3 most common pokemon in OU) Specs Pump kills of loads of things, especially after rocks damage..or in the rain. Volt Switch, like U-Turn gives the advantage of knowing the opponent's plan if they do/don't switch out.~

SCIZOR
    [​IMG]
    Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
    - U-turn
    - Pursuit
    - Bullet Punch
    - Superpower

Last, and definately not least is the star of the team. After U-Turning earlier in most games, I don't really use scizor until I need to pick off pokemon. Pursuit loves Latios' that are locked on Draco Meteor and isn't used much more than that.. Bullet Punch is my favorite move on this NORMAL SET other than U-turn of course because of it's ability to pick off a lot of pokemon one by one when you've already weakened your opponents team. Superpower is clearly for anything that the other moves do..nothing to, mostly used for ferrothorn, blissey, and chansey.~

~Importable~

[secret]Landorus (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Sand Force
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
    - Earthquake
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - U-turn
    - Stone Edge

Heatran (M) @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Flash Fire
    - Fire Blast
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Earth Power
    - Stealth Rock

Dragonite (F) @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Multiscale
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    - Fire Punch
    - Outrage
    - ExtremeSpeed
    - Dragon Dance

Starmie @ Life Orb
    Trait: Natural Cure
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam
    - Thunderbolt
    - Rapid Spin

Rotom-W @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Levitate
    - Volt Switch
    - Trick
    - Hydro Pump
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
    - U-turn
    - Pursuit
    - Bullet Punch
    - Superpower[/secret]

~The End~

2. Royalty

Royalty Stay Trippy

A++ on the colour scheme and pictures.

3. Xclus|Mewmewzapdos

Xclus|Mewmewzapdos Retreated to Showdown ^^

OI
    AO COPYRIGHT

4. Xclus|Mewmewzapdos

Xclus|Mewmewzapdos Retreated to Showdown ^^

oh wait u used this team against me.... I thought u copied half of my team and say it is ur work....
    One thing i want to say, i recommends WoW over Hp fire and u may want hp grass over trick. Cuz the only time u will want to uses hp fire is ferrothorn but yet it is not capable of ohkoing it and the damage is pathetic in the popular rain, and with Wow, u can put the opponent's a few physical attackers off the feild. And hp grass because u NEVER want a annoying gastrodon/ quagsire/ swapert to laugh at ur face, this is just my experince/ u can decides on ur own.
    Also, be careful of gliscor when using ur landrous, i never liked scarf set cuz even with hp ice, gliscor will screw up on u simply with protect.

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  5. Soma #ded

Soma #ded Time for a SOMARAND!

PO Trainer Name:
    Soma
    This is a great volturn team for the simple reason that a +2 Cloyster can't sweep it.
    Agreeing with mewzapdos, you can't really do much to a quagsire. You already have 2 pokes with fire moves, make rotom have HP Grass.

6. Kumiho

Kumiho Silhouettes

PO Trainer Name:
    Kumiho
    This right here is a solid team, AO. Good job even though Chromium>Annoying Orange. :3

7. Mylo Xyloto

Mylo Xyloto if your world falls apart, i'd start a riot

PO Trainer Name:
    Mylo Xyloto
    And I also suggest using HP grass or HP Ice for Ground/Waters and Dragons respectively.

8. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange sweet creature Server Moderator Social Media Rep Server Moderator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    Thanks, I'll test it out, but those hail teams can be a bitch, and Rotom loves killing abomasnow with hp fire

9. Kumiho

Kumiho Silhouettes

PO Trainer Name:
    Kumiho
    Eh, to be honest, it looks like your team handles Hail teams fairly easily. So just slap HP Ice or HP Grass.

10. Mylo Xyloto

PO Trainer Name:
    Mylo Xyloto
    True but Swampert has more usage than Abomasnow, but its your team.

11. Dr. Fuji

Dr. Fuji Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Dr. Fuji
    I'd recommend grass you lack a grass move and landorus can already kill + 1 dragon's and such however if you decide to keep hp fire you could lower the speed ev's a bit because almost nothing will tie you with that 1 point less in speed 188 lets you outspeed max speed heatran.

12. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    Okay, I considdered trying a non-specs rotom with hp grass.

13. Mylo Xyloto

PO Trainer Name:
    Mylo Xyloto
    Why no specs?

14. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    I want to try w-o-w/hp grass/hydro/volt set and I'd figure without trick..I don't really want specs

15. Flapo

Flapo Member

Thats a very well rounded team, with only top tier pokemons and sets, besides Rotom maybe. There is nothing really for me to say, its very standard in the end. Tho, i always recommend 48 spe ev on Scizor, allowing it to outspeed Defensive politoad, taunt jellicent, avoiding burn and up to choice band 100 speed Ttar, avoiding hard hit and allowing KO. You will also outspeed classic scizors, which can come in very handy.

16. ZoroDark

ZoroDark i know everything

Very nice team AO, but I see this team struggle against stall teams, especially rain stall. To fix this problem a little, I think you should change Dragonite for a CB variant. You don't have a sweeper now, and that's why I recommend changing Scizor to a Swords Dance variant, but since your team will miss the U-Turn about it, i have a special variant for you.

Scizor @ Metal Coat
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
    - U-turn
    - Bullet Punch
    - Swords Dance
    - Superpower

This is the set I like to recommend, because it's flexible and safe-to-use. U-turn provides the ever useful switch advantage when Scizor is not ready to sweep. Superpower is necessary to deal hefty damage to Steel-types. Although not as strong as a CB Bullet Punch, Metal Coat and max Atk EVs allow its Bullet Punch to eliminate fast threats effectively, while also bluffing Scizor as a CB variant. You might want to change the speed EV's like Flapi suggested, but that's up to you.[/HIDE]

17. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    Thanks, I do plan on changing the EVs because burn is a real problem for scizor.

18. Halsey

Halsey Wildstar

PO Trainer Name:
    Kat
    Since you decided to spam tournaments with this crap and you posted this
    I'm gonna give you a rate

First thing is that you are hilariously weak to Gastrodon, your only chance of beating it is hitting it with Trick and even when it is Tricked it cock blocks Starmie and Gastrodon

If your Heatran loses its Balloon you are helpless against Sub Protect Gliscor

Protect Terrakion would love to face this team. 3 Choice users, 2 Pokemon slower than it that get OHKOed and Recover-less LO Starmie

Nothing in your team can switch into Hydreigon, I guess you can pray for misses

Your best switch into Tornadus takes 41% minimum from Hurricane, it gets OHKOed by Focus Blast and it can't OHKO it in return

You have no way of controlling weather and no way of stopping weather teams from working properly

I could keep going but I'm bored

PS: Don't be cocky when you are not even decent.

19. monkeyeatingeagle

monkeyeatingeagle Banned

20. Harlot

Harlot i look like the pope

br is 100% correct

21. Django

Django UNCHAINED

How did the idea of calling this team the best volturn team even cross your mind when it's bog standard and utter shit

22. Ginku

Ginku Banned

23. Victor3G

Victor3G Hydrovolt FTW!

PO Trainer Name:
    VictorXG
    Just saying, CM Virizion with Giga Drain, Focus Blast, HP Ice and Calm Mind completely wrecks your team. U also need a Rapid Spinner, or entry hazards could wreck your team. I suggest either Tentacruel or Donphan instead of Landorus. Why Landorus? U already have a U-turner (Scizor). I suggest Tentacruel to take on Sub/Protect Gliscor. You have no problems with Gyarados, because Rotom-W takes him down like a bullet.

Tentacruel (M) @Black Sludge (Basically Lefties for only Poison Types)
    Trait: Rain Dish/Liquid Ooze
    EVs: 252HP / 208Def / 44Spd
    - Scald
    - Toxic Spikes / Protect
    - Rapid Spin
    - Protect / Ice Beam
    K. This guy can deal with Sub/Protect Gliscor well, but only with 44Spd EVs (most of the time). Scald to destroy Landorus and physical attackers with burn, Toxic Spikes if you want your own entry hazards, or Protect to semi-scout. Rapid Spin to blow your side of the hazards away, and Protect if you chose Toxic Spikes or Ice Beam to hit Grass/Dragon types, though results aren't really damaging.

24. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    Ah, first off, don't play immature and bring people to rally behind your posts (Especially since they had already disliked me.)
    Secondly, if you don't know my playstyle with this team, don't go telling me all the shit I do know and can't counter. I was already told that gastrodon was a problem, I think it doesn't need to be stated in a smart-ass statement again.
    Oh, and sorry if you didn't see this when I posted it, but I accidentally posted the link in tournaments, sorry. But, you shouldn't make such a big fucking deal about it.
    With the other things, I don't let a tornadus come in on something weak to it (or haven't yet) and I have had no trouble with hydreigon so far.
    And weather, the most common thing on the ladder..no, I haven't really had a problem with it yet.
    Just because you THINK I can't handle certain pokemon does NOT mean I can't, so unless you're a fucking psychic, don't go around acting like you know how I play.
    Thanks for the poor rate.

25. ASH_CHAMPION

ASH_CHAMPION A very useless person~

PO Trainer Name:
    Meh
    I'm just curious as to how far on the ladder this team has gotten you. Because if you haven't had trouble with any of those then you can't be very high in the ladder or you just battle against bad battlers. Also have you ever battled against any SD Lucario? It sure as hell can set up on Scizor or Landorus heck can come in on Heatran after you kill a mon and set up a SD or CC making you lose Heatran, and possibly sweep your team. Also you should really add recover onto Starmie, since without recover Starmie really loses survivability. Heh I'd try to do a proper rate but you'd probably just repeat what you wrote to BR and call this a poor rate.

26. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    No, the reason I did that was because of the gay little rally he started. A couple of simple suggestions would have worked, but no, he had to be a smartass over it. And ladder? I guess I'll have to do that on another alt because I plainly stated that I antiladdered on this alt. Oh and I guess you could've suggested something for that, but dragonite can switch in on lucario, although I haven't really seen many of them. Thanks for the...warning I guess

27. ASH_CHAMPION

ASH_CHAMPION A very useless person~

PO Trainer Name:
    Meh
    Not like Lucario always runs Ice Punch! No not like that at all!
    P.S that was sarcasm
    Also I was going to suggest something but I clearly stated I wouldn't do a proper rate '-'
    For gods sake would you stop being so stubborn and calc it? Luke with a LO does above 60% WITHOUT a single boost to your Dragonite. But ok fine since you don't see it around often I guess it's not a problem.

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  28. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    I guess I didn't ask for a suggestion, that was my sarcasm.
    Never seen many around (Again)
    I'm sure getting hazzards away and dragonite being multiscaled and all wouldn't matter, but THANKS AGAIN (more sarcasm)

29. Groudon Ramsay

Groudon Ramsay Active Member

don't let these kids put you down ao

your standard volturn team is only slightly worse than other people's standard volturn team

keep it up man

champagne papi likes this.
  30. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    Shut up, everyone hates you.

champagne papi likes this.
  31. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

So basically if anyone rates this team badly, you're going to give a similar response of "I can play around these threats because I predict perfectly?" Because unless you actually explain how you aren't weak to those threats, well, this team is weak to those threats. For example, a well played Hydreigon never just spams draco meteor when it sees two steel types. Hell it can just spam surf since Scizor is 2HKO'd and it's already faster than Dnite/Rotom.

Ice Punch on Lucario is standard, since Gliscor tends to be common as well as Dragonite, plus it can hit Landorus on a switch. Hell agility Luke goes to town on this, destroying everything once Starmie is weakened.

As for Dragonite you're also relying on spinning hazards when your spinner can't touch Ferrothorn(or recover its health to prevent being worn down), rain teams easily wall Heatran and Scizor can just be Protected against to scout for the Superpower. Unless you are a psychic, most of the time SR is going to be on your field, so you can't always count on Multiscale. This is because it can simply lay hazards down when you switch out to either Heatran or Scizor. You're overestimating just how long Starmie can survive without being able to heal itself as well.

There's also the fact that Volturn teams all play extremely similar, especially ones as standard as this. And you cannot argue that this isn't standard, because all you have are standard pokemon with standard sets. "Your" play style with it is not going to differentiate much at all from anyone else who uses it, assuming they're doing so correctly. That's part of why you're getting such criticisms; this team really is bog standard, and saying it's "well put together" is obvious because it has worked for countless others before. Landorus/Rotom/Scizor keep switching using their u-turn/volt switch, and 3 pokemon that synergize well with them keep constant pressure on the opponent. That is how all momentum teams work and how they are played, all the way down to NU, regardless of which pokemon you use.

Going back to the criticisms, why are you expecting anything different? This has been done to death, and everyone already knows what does well against Volturn. This whole RMT is redundant and pointless.

Finally, "the most well put together *insert play style* team ever made" implies that it is the best. Anyone with basic knowledge of the English language knows this.

32. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    Well if you're going to just continue this, delete the whole damn thread and shut up -.-

33. Groudon Ramsay

Groudon Ramsay Active Member

i was just trying to defend you bro dont be so mean

34. Halsey

Halsey Wildstar

PO Trainer Name:
    Kat
    I didn't ask anyone to support my post, why would I need to do that if my post alone was enough?

Standard Volt turn, the point of the team is keeping max momentum and not leaving your opponent any room to set up or attack without risking a lot. All volt turn teams work in the exact same way.

The only thing I said about Gastrodon is that you can only beat it with Trick. That is not being smart-ass, that is stating a fact.

ok that is just bull. You posted the RMT more than once in #Tournaments and you asked multiple times people to rate it. I was actually reading the whole thing under an alt, hell I was even talking with tanner when you were doing that, ask people in #Shanaindigo.
    Tornadus can come in easily after you killed something, or with U-turn / Volt Switch support, then use Hurricane and get a 1 kill minimum. Nothing in your team can switch into it and your only way to beat it is hoping it isn't healthy and then revenge killing it. You can't touch Rain stall or Sand Stall, your only answer to Sun is Balloon Heatran, etc

I don't know to be a psychic or know how you play to know how things work. If you are really trying to argue your team isn't weak to things like Protect Terrakion, you are just plain wrong.

and if you don't like people saying your team isn't good, don't do a RMT

btw you should fix that Latios, Virizion and Lucario weakness

35. IFM

IFM HODOR HODOR HODOR

I want to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of oz.

36. "Bad To The Bone" Balla

"Bad To The Bone" Balla so B.A.D.

this is just an ass-standard OU team and you have posted it saying its the best volt-turn team in existence.

The least you could do is actually ladder with it.

37. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    Requesting deletion because of drama.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.