1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, due to a lack of interest, playerbase, and general desire to continue, PO will hereby cease our separate tiering and adopt Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[BW2] The Deoxys-S Sneaky DW Ban Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Discussion' started by Knots the Notorious, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Knots the Notorious

Knots the Notorious aka Gary Oak from HC

PO Trainer Name:
    Gary Oak
    I am totally baffled as to why this 'mon was banned in DW OU, particularly without any recent vote, discussion thread, or announcement of any kind. It is not a major threat in the tier, due in large part to the existence and popularity of Genesect in that tier.

The DW meta has always had a slight bit of power creep over Wifi and I've always seen that as a way to keep Genesect out of OP territory. The more you make DW look like Wifi, the more OP Genesect will become to the point where I think if we aren't going to reconsider the Deo-S ban, we should start seriously looking at Genesect's impact on the meta and whether or not it should be banned outright.

I hope we can do a re-test of Deo-S and a re-vote on it. The DW OU meta had settled just fine from what I can tell since our last Deo-S thread, and Deo-S has not been banned since then.

2. HoopyCaro42

HoopyCaro42 French Maid

I second that. I don't use Deo-S but I don't have any problem battling it. It's not a threat at all and Genesect is much more of a problem to most teams, althought I don't think I would ban Genesect either.

3. Professor Oak

Professor Oak Pimp Hand Strong Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    Erm...

It was banned ages ago. That it could be used in DW OU was a bug.

js

4. Knots the Notorious

Knots the Notorious aka Gary Oak from HC

PO Trainer Name:
    Gary Oak
    A re-vote seems reasonable, then. It was 'ages ago'. Things have changed. The 'bug' period can be seen as the retest.

5. Xdevo

Xdevo Time's Arrow Keeps Marching On Super Moderator Tour Director Super Moderator Tour Director

It was banned under almost the same circumstances as now, no super-new-amazing-Dream-World strategy has come up that counters Deo-S. It still supports teams (by laying down hazards, setting screens (that Genesect can't stop it from doing btw), revenge killing everything in sight, etc.) The only thing Deo-S has to worry about in DW was Espeon without Wifi Clause, which were pretty easy to scout especially when Espeon is so easily trapped.

I guess Thundurus's unban could impact it, but Deo-S helps Thundurus sweep more than Thundurus hurts Deo-S.

6. DSM01

DSM01 Jammin' out

I don't think it was ever officially banned, but that was because only one voter qualified for the DW vote. Believe me, though, it was broken and almost everyone in the suspect discussion thread agreed that Deoxys-S was too much for either OU. It was very similar to Deoxys-D in UU—it would set up hazards and there was nothing you could do about it short of running a Rapid Spinner or lolEspeon on every team. The Dual Screen set was arguably even more dangerous because there was no way to stop it from doing its job and setting up SR while it was at it. It doesn't seem like an issue now, but that's because it has just a little over half the usage it enjoyed at its peak last December. Just like Deoxys-N, it didn't seem like it was a big deal until people actually started using it. Banning Deoxys-S is the right decision and the only reason it didn't happen sooner was because of the thinning voter participation across both OUs.

7. IFM

IFM HODOR HODOR HODOR

We decided to follow the Wifi OU vote for DW OU so it should have been banned when it was banned in Wifi OU.