1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[BW2] Monotype in the Wiki

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Side Metagames' started by User Name, Jul 6, 2012.

1. #PR0|-MMM-

#PR0|-MMM- Back to abuse Brokengoth

PO Trainer Name:
    #PR0|-MMM-
    Done. Agree with most stuff but Armaldo isn't the only spinner in MonoRock (Kabutops) neither does it have base 145 attack XD

2. Angelic.

Angelic. Banned

Lol oops. Misread the 125 D: and I forgot about Rapid Spin on Kabutops too. I edited the last post instead of reposting. I'm working on types now.

BTW: Deo-D also deserves a mention on Psychic? Does essentially the same thing as S.

3. #PR0|-MMM-

PO Trainer Name:
    #PR0|-MMM-
    Deo-D is being voted on and might get banned, so if we add it we should only do so when the vote is completed and if it turns out not to be banned.
    I'll update the Rock page later on, btw.

4. User Name

User Name Life is a maze

@Xinc
    Strange, I don't see a Keldeo or Sharpedo analysis on either O_o
    Are you sure you remembered to save the changes?
    Anyways, corrections you should implement:
    Water Matchup--Remove the first sentence, as it is redundant. Explain why bulky waters help more, and perhaps list some examples. Talk more about what happens between different kinds of Water matchups, like Swift Swim versus Stall or Balanced vs Stall or Balanced vs Swift Swim or whatever. Mention Rotom-W.
    Grass Matchup--Emphasize Ice Beam's importance. Note other Pokemon that take neutral from Grass, like Gyarados or Tentacruel or Qwilfish or something. Are there any particular Grass-types that are extreme threats? Ferrothorn is probably one, give that guy a mention.

Don't worry about writing too much, because trimming is my specialty. Writing too little, though, is difficult for me to rectify unless I have had prior experience with the Monotype.

Also, just noticed the Flying matchup tag is missing...put it in. Now I'm paranoid that other types are missing tags >_>

@Dr. Doom
    Pretty good work on Grass! Not much else to add. :P

@AngelicResistance
    Welcome to the team!
    Some corrections to your notes:
    Although Staraptor is indeed one of your best Pokemon to use against Genesect, or against MonoBugs in general really, it cannot OHKO Genesect with or without Reckless if it is Jolly Choice Scarf:
    252Atk Staraptor (Neutral) Brave Bird vs 4HP/0Def Genesect (Neutral): 68% - 80% (195 - 229 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
    252Atk Reckless Staraptor (Neutral) Brave Bird vs 4HP/0Def Genesect (Neutral): 81% - 96% (232 - 274 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
    Adamant does better, but then you're probably going to be outsped by ScarfSect:
    252Atk Staraptor (+Atk) Brave Bird vs 4HP/0Def Genesect (Neutral): 74% - 88% (211 - 250 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
    252Atk Reckless Staraptor (+Atk) Brave Bird vs 4HP/0Def Genesect (Neutral): 89% - 105% (255 - 301 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. 36% chance to OHKO.
    So I've taken the liberty to fix up that bit, but otherwise pretty solid notes.

Reviewing MonoRock...Fairly solid. I made a mention of defensive sets for T-Tar. Not a lot to fix. Just streamlined a few things.

5. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

I'll remember to do that. I just added those three. (+Kingdra)

6. Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom Long time hater of stall

I've almost finished MonoGrass - just doing the match ups.

7. User Name

User Name Life is a maze

Alright, a week left until the June deadline is over! Get your work in while you can! :D
    I'll be reviewing MonoGrass and MonoWater later on today, and will also check on MonoRock and MonoFlying if anything's happened there. But I trust that you guys are making awesome analyses on your own. :3

8. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

Alright. I'll finish up the water analysis thing fully in a few days.

9. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

Bumping because I finished writing up water matchups.

10. Dr. Doom

11. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

Written up Starmie and a short Vaporeon.

12. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

bumping because filled up Tentacruel and Swampert as well. Will finish tomorrow.

13. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

bumping because filled up all the monotype water pokemon analysis. Shorter but I think it gets the point. Aside from Links, should be done.

14. User Name

User Name Life is a maze

Wow, you guys were fast O_o
    Checkup time~ Will edit later.

EDIT1:
    MonoGrass is solid. That's complete!

EDIT2:
    MonoWater still needs some stuff to work on.
    Suicune--How do different Monos deal with it and "determine its success factor"?
    Rapid Spinners--Do note you forgot Cloyster, Kabutops, and Blastoise can also Rapid Spin :P

I cleaned up most of the Pokemon analyses. Your matchups could use some more editing.

Specifically--
    Normal: Gyarados is anything but a frail glass cannon XD
    If anything, Gyarados is probably one of the better switchins against quite a few of the Normal-types due to Intimidate nerfing them.
    Take note of the presence of Thunderbolters, particularly Porygon-Z; though they are usually easily worked around due to being Choiced, so that a part-Ground can easily use them as switchin fodder.

Water: If anything, MonoWater has more spinners than most other Types, TBH. :P
    Should mention that Ludicolo can be used to tank attacks from opposing Water-types, especially if it's a more defensive set, and ESPECIALLY if it's using the Rain Dish ability and the opposing team is Rain Dance-based.

Ice: Though it does have Physical attackers, I wouldn't go so far as to say they have many of them. It's mostly Mamoswine and mixed Kyu-B; it wouldn't be called Blizzspam otherwise. Also, why is it the weakest type, defensively (I presume you mean the 4 weaknesses to common types, though I'd still argue Rock has it worst), and which Pokemon can take advantage of those weaknesses (eg Rock with Kabutops, Steel through...Water-types don't run Steel moves that I know of, Fire through Slowbro/king, Fighting through Keldeo which you already mentioned so that's good).

Psychic: Burning Psychic-types doesn't seem like an overall good idea, with or without Scald :O
    You already mentioned Magic Guard, and Magic Bounce for the odd Will-o-Wisping Rotom, but there's also the fact that many Psychics don't use their ATK stat.
    Mention Trick Room and how it fares depending on the MonoWater playstyle (eg how does it work against Rain Dance, against Stall, against Bulky Offense).

Bug: Mention Genesect

Flying: You mentioned how the weaknesses of various Flying-types vary; make sure to mention which Pokemon can take advantage of those weaknesses well (for example, which Pokemon can Boltbeam so they can hit both Gyarados and Gliscor and literally every other Flying-type hard).

Steel: Mention Genesect, again. Specify which setuppers Quagsire can help stop. Note the presence of more stall-oriented teams; how do they fare? Mention Ferrothorn.

Quite a few things to work on, but you've got a good foundation :P
    Keep building. You're almost done with one of the largest Monos. XD

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  15. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

Mentioned and took your ideas into consideration. You'll find the matchups with your suggestions.

16. User Name

User Name Life is a maze

Alright, almost done there. The June deadline's today! If you guys have any other edits, you'll have to do 'em by today if you want me to include it in the big giant status update Imma make tomorrow :)

@MonoWater
    Mmmm, could use some expansion later, but it's solid. Good job, Xinc, and of course we can't forget the contributions of Dr. Doom and Windblown. :D

17. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

Added a little bit more on Suicune. And looks like the deadline's here. lol.

18. User Name

User Name Life is a maze

Time for the BIG STATUS UPDATE AGAIN :D

For completed analyses, we have:
    MonoElectric
    MonoBug
    MonoSteel
    MonoDark
    MonoFire
    MonoGhost
    MonoFighting
    MonoPsychic
    MonoDragon
    MonoIce
    MonoGrass
    MonoWater

Which leaves us with...
    MonoNormal
    MonoPoison
    MonoGround
    MonoFlying
    MonoRock

Amusingly enough, all Types now have a corresponding Monotype page thanks to the work of Dr. Doom and Angelic, despite my exhortations to finish the ones we already had instead of starting new ones XD
    Nevertheless, a Monotype page is a Monotype page and the ones we've got are pretty good.

MonoNormal can prob have several Pokemon dropped, but it's fairly empty overall. Several analyses need to be either completed or dropped, and quite a few of the matchups aren't there. On a scale of 1-5, I'd say it's about a 3 in terms of how much work is needed to finish.

MonoPoison was/is VarunRi's and then later Slowkii's, but VarunRi's got comp problems and Slowkii as far as I can tell hasn't done anything on the page. It's very empty, with few analyses and no matchups. This one's at least a 4 in terms of how much content is needed, probably more.

MonoGround was Rawr's but I haven't heard anything from Rawr in ages. It's missing most of the matchups and quite a few analyses. It's a 2-3 in terms of how much content is needed to complete.

MonoFlying's gone through a lot of users, starting with MMM then moving on to Windblown then to Celestial Phantom then a visit from Zerowaltz until it's returned to MMM again, with AngelicResistance's help. It's actually fairly thorough, with only Matchups needed to complete. It's a 2 at most, probably less, on a 1-5 scale.

And finally, MonoRock with AngelicResistance's text and MMM's computer is actually pretty thorough already. Some more analyses might be good; I'm not familiar with most Rock-types, but Cradily and Regirock might deserve a mention. Magcargo might also be worth noting if only for Shell Smash and Fire-typing meaning it's one of the few things that can possibly take on a Scizor, and Rhyperior seems like it might be worth mentioning as well. It doesn't have any matchups yet, so it needs that too. Probably a 3-4 in terms of how much content is needed.

The final deadline is the end of September. There are 5 types left. I'm counting on AngelicResistance to help with MonoRock, and Xinc, Dr. Doom, and MMM to get whatever they can finished. If possible it would be nice for VarunRi, Slowkii, and Rawr to work on their Monos, but at this point it doesn't seem likely so it seems like those Monos will need outside help. I might rope Sulcata into doing something again, though Dark and Steel are both finished so I dunno what else she has experience with. I haven't seen Xavier Final anywhere after that first post so I dunno what he's doing, and haven't seen Brood much if at all so owell I don't think we'll be getting help there.

So we have 5 left. Pick one or more and get crackin :3
    3 months left to finish 5 more Monos with 3 notably active users, 1 indirectly active user, and some number of questionably active users. WE CAN DO IT!! XD
    All of them are varying degrees of done anyways so it's actually just like 2 and a half analyses or something, definitely capable :P

19. Dr. Doom

I'll do some more work on MonoNormal. There doesn't seem that much left to do, so shouldn't take too long.

20. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

I touched a little on Monoflying. We should have this done quickly.

21. #PR0|-MMM-

PO Trainer Name:
    #PR0|-MMM-
    I finally got to fill in the rest of the MonoRock edits lol.
    Besides that though, I'd also like to mention my activity will be shaky throughout the holidays, though I'll probably be able to get a lot of work done somewhere in the very late July/August period.

22. .Rawr!

.Rawr! c(°3°)כ

PO Trainer Name:
    Day Healer
    Finished Ice, Fighting, Poison, Normal, Rock, Steel and Ghost matchups in monoGround page. I'm thinking on finish all matchups this week, like i have done good experience with all of them i think.

PS. If someone can edit a bit, my english isn't so good so yeah :3 (ty to the person editing ice and fighting ones btw :) )

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  23. User Name

User Name Life is a maze

Alrighty, lessee, some reviewing~

@Dr. Doom
    Might want to mention that most of MonoFire's Special Attackers will have trouble, so the matchup can be made more even if you can deal with the Physical attackers quickly (which usually isn't hard IIRC as most of MonoFire's physical attackers are pretty frail).
    An optional change. Good start. :)

@Xinc
    Ground matchup: Just wondering, which super-effective moves do Sigilyph and Gliscor have against Ground-types? I'm guessing Ice Beam and Ice Fang?
    Also, how does MonoFlying deal with Mamoswine?
    And what Special Attackers does MonoFlying have that can strike at the (usually) lower Special Defense of Ground-types?

Normal matchup: For the defensive Normal teams, mention Porygon2, ESPECIALLY because P2 almost always packs Boltbeam. How does MonoFlying deal with P2?
    Also, you mentioned that you should prevent some of the defensive Pokemon from setting up; what are some ways to do this?

Water matchup: What are some examples of Grass Knot and Thunderbolt abusers? How do you deal with Rain Dance? How do you deal with Ice Beam.

Just some things you need to expand on.

@MMM
    Thanks for all the help! Yeah, never realized college stuff was this busy @[email protected]
    Gonna be my freshie year this August or so :D
    I'll direct this to AngelicResistance, too.

For Cradily, Storm Drain shouldn't be the ONLY reason to run it, no? After all, that Grass typing also gives it a Grass and Ground neutral and a STAB to use against Water-types; furthermore, it's one of the few Rock-types with reliable recovery and even fewer with actually noticeable Special bulk.
    Basically, the first sentence that says Storm Drain is probably the only reason to consider Cradily seems inaccurate.

Also, Shuckle <3
    In place of Power Swap, I think you mean Power Split. Power Swap is an unreliable move that can only steal boosts, which will be useless with Shuckle's pathetic offensive stats. Power Split is the one that averages stats, which is hilarious with Shuckle's pathetic offensive stats (you have no idea how fun it is to be able to tank a +6 Excadrill Earthquake).
    I would ask that you mention Rollout and Acupressure but I have a feeling that a gimmick like that is pushing it way too far. XD

24. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

Filled and written up a matchup against... what was it again... Poison type.

25. #PR0|-MMM-

PO Trainer Name:
    #PR0|-MMM-
    @Rawr
    Actually, going over it again, I still realised a few mistakes of mine so I probably did a lousy job lol. Yw nevertheless :3

@User Name
    Main>Only
    And Acupressure+Rollout seems worth mentioning. No idea why it shouldn't :P
    BUT I'm definitely not going to take care of this straight away, js.

26. .Rawr!

.Rawr! c(°3°)כ

PO Trainer Name:
    Day Healer
    Some things to be added/consider, idk:

- MonoBug: mention Armaldo (a more offensive spinner than forretress)

- MonoDark: mention Mandibuzz (excelent wall), Houndoom (good again monoBug) and maybe Drapion.

- MonoPsychic: switch Deoxys-S (banned) for Deoxys-D, maybe add Sigilyph

- MonoNormal: maybe add Linoone

- MonoRock: mention Rhyperior

27. User Name

User Name Life is a maze

@Rawr
    Whoops, somehow missed all that stuff.
    Imma be working on some of the other grammar/spelling stuff on there meself. :)
    Doing well. I thought you had disappeared from the face of the Earth, great to have you back.

28. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

Finished with the flying matchups. Should be it for now. (I'm a bit short on Dark though)

29. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

Filled up some Poison pokemon: Gengar, Nidoqueen, Nidoking, and Weezing.

30. .Rawr!

.Rawr! c(°3°)כ

PO Trainer Name:
    Day Healer
    @User Name: thanks man, I was afk a bit for study u know, but now is vacation, so i have more time (finally...)

Finished Grass, Ground and Psychic matchups on Ground page (grammar corrections to do thanks :3)
    Anyway on monograss matchup, idk if put Ludicolo like a threat, i never saw him in any monoGrass team.

Also, in monoPoison there are 2 entries for Nidoking (!)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  31. User Name

User Name Life is a maze

I'll have to check on MonoFlying, MonoPoison, and MonoGround sometime during the next week then :O
    I don't want to today or tomorrow :P

32. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

Fixed. added Venomoth, Crobat, and Ammongus

33. Dr. Doom

Finished MonoNormal. Sorry it took me longer than I said - I clean forgot about it :( Ah well, it's done now.

34. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

Just took a look over it and it looks good. Just my thoughts. xD

Added Poison matchups.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  35. User Name

User Name Life is a maze

Alrighty, time to go check up on things~
    Sorry it took so long, it was pretty low on my "procrastinate and then do this" list. But I'm here now. XP
    And a week hasn't been over since I last posted so it's all good :3

MonoFlying: COMPLETE
    Though, when possible a Tornadus/Tornadus-T analysis would be very welcome. It's the only Legendary Genie to not be mentioned, which is pretty surprising to me.
    If you want extra credit, you can do Sigilyph, Charizard, Moltres, and possibly Emolga. Only Sigilyph of those is really viable, though.

MonoPoison: Needs work
    A lot of the analyses need expansion. Namely: Drapion, Gengar, Scolipede, Nidoqueen.
    Matchups still need work, of course. Some others need expansion; MonoPoison mirror should explain which members can contribute to the offense.

MonoGround: Keep going :)
    I've fixed up the new matchups. Pretty solid overall, keep it up.

I'll check on MonoNormal later, give it some final corrections.

36. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

Expanded those Poison mentioned.

37. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

Righty, finished on Poison. Let me know your thoughts.

38. .Rawr!

.Rawr! c(°3°)כ

PO Trainer Name:
    Day Healer
    Ey Xinc, nice work there ;)
    Lately i was trying some monopoison just to see how it deals in the tier (it's truly a difficult type omg, lets hope Gen 6 improve them), anyway on suggestions:

- Again grasses, Quiver dance Venomoth is a nice asset, specially if have Bug Buzz and Psychic, or can just bpass to Nidoking. Also he can avoid statuses with its Wonder skin ability. Brave bird Crobat is nice too smashing things.
    - Again poison, Sword Dance Drapion can destroy the opponent team, but u need take care of Weezing first, which can stop ur sweep.
    - Again psychic, QD moth is good here too, the difficult thing is find the right moment to setup :/
    - Again fighting: in theory a well build monopoison always beat monofighting (tentacruel stops keldo/nape, weezing stop lot of physical attackers), but there are still some threats, like gallade and conkeldur, but drapion handle gallade well and conkeldur is taked down with brute force lol
    - Again steel: Nidoking just rocks, specially if with some quiver dances boost of Moth.

Well dats all for now, im gonna trying more with poison and post if i can :3

39. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

Added your suggestions.

40. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

Bumping. I'll do my best to fill up analyses before next week ends. Added a little on Rock's monotype matchup on ghosts

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013