1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[BW2] Mono-Pokemon Tier

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Side Metagames' started by Xanderpitz, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Xanderpitz

Xanderpitz A plethora of penguins...

I've recently been collaborating with Captain, Space-MedaFighterX, and Pongopongo in discussing a potential mono-pokemon tier. The only clauses would be Sleep and Self-KO, so that means the only other restriction would be to have 6 of the same pokemon (with whatever movesets you want).

Obviously, people would abuse that (I'm picturing Arceus everywhere), so there could also be a banlist and/or an Uber tier.

The Monotype, MonoColor, and Monogen tiers have achieved great success, having over 4500 players in the first, and 400 in the latter 2. I think this tier would fit right in with the other 3, and (based on some Q&A with Tohjo) it seems like quite a few people could get into it.

What do you guys think?

2. Captain

Captain Suns Out Guns Out

PO Trainer Name:
    Captain
    I would honestly get into this, all joking aside (golem) I think it could be interesting as you would have people attempting to use the same pokemon in 6 different ways. Who knows perhaps some interesting sets might break out of this.

3. Hobbes2

Hobbes2 Aren't I dead or something

PO Trainer Name:
    Hobbes2
    I honestly don't like this as the entire tier has no skill and comes down to matchups. I know some other tiers are like that, but at least the monotiers require skill and you can still win if you have a bad matchup.

Say you get a...dragonite vs. Metagross. This one would be balanced someone, but a Metagross vs something like Heatran would be horrible because the heatran player would obviously win.

Speaking of monopokemon, #SmeargleTier2012

4. Xanderpitz

Xanderpitz A plethora of penguins...

Well, every tier has a little bit of luck determined by team matchup, but its not to say it COULDN'T be balanced and skill based. Sure you'd probably see a lot of Dragonites, but a mamoswine team with SR will almost always win. Whereas mamoswine would get crushed by scizor, which would lose to a myriad of fire types, etc. etc. etc.

The point is, every team has many counters and advantages from the get-go. Mix this with the fact that you can be battling 6 different sets, one team that would see like a surefire counter would be utterly crushed from an unexpectedset (lol specschamp vs. skarmory). For instance Mamoswine vs. Heatran. Jolly Mamo outspeeds and destroys every set that isnt scarfed or air balloon. I doubt most good players would run more than 1 air balloon and scarf set, so that leaves 2 troublesome heatran to deal with. It should be simple enough if you have a scarf mamoswine or focus sash, but an air balloon heatran with flame charge could end up wrecking the entire mamo team if the scarfed mamo is KOed. Since the only differences between each poke is shinyness, HP, and possibly gender, its also hard to differentiate each poke from another, meaning one must predict the switch-ins to succeed. Of course this doesn't apply on some cases (such as salamence vs. mamoswine) where one team will utterly dominate the other regardless of what sets they run, but these cases are rare and relatively few, since so many pokemon have SO MANY sets they can possibly run.

In my opinion, the main draw to the tier would be the teambuilding, since otherwise it would be practically pointless to run special haxorus or physical chandelure. The sheer amount of possibilities (especially for pokemon like Mew and Smeargle) would give many pokemon their own niche in the tier. Also, like Captain said, we might discover some new sets along the way.

5. PsuedoSaku

PsuedoSaku New Member

This sounds like a ton of fun, and I'd definitely try it out if it's incorporated.

6. Xdevo

Xdevo Phrasing Super Moderator Tour Director Super Moderator Tour Director

Why not try and actually make this a tournament first?

Adding metagames (especially things that are so gimmicky and don't really add anything that we can't find out some other way) directly to the Simulator with very little indication of how popular they'd be is a rather silly idea.

I honestly don't see this metagame going anywhere. Things like Dragonite, Salamence, Kyurem-B, and other Dragons will essentially only lose to random Mamoswines. The 5th gen metagame already boils down to team match-ups much more than is liked, and this tier is only team match-ups. Some teams might be able to win over team match-ups (6 yache berry SuperPower Dragonites maybe), but the chances that anything good coming out of this metagame are slim to none.

7. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

I'm all for giving this a test run. But I agree there are some matchups that are almost impossible to win.