1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

Mafia Review Themers Guidelines / Posting Guidelines (Old)

Discussion in 'Review' started by Crystal Moogle, Sep 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crystal Moogle

Crystal Moogle Ayaya~

PO Trainer Name:
    Hanako
    (written mostly by Vintage Books and BebbZ, additions by SteelEdges)

Mafia Review

All forum rules apply here.

How to get your theme approved

What to include in your thread:

Post the code of your theme. Before posting, however, be sure to get it checked with JSON checker and Rice's theme checker and put it in
    tags. To ensure you have done this step, you should post the result from Rice's checker (as shown in the hide tag). If your theme is not valid, it is liable to be declined or locked with or without any discussion.
    Fatal errors found in your script:
    No fatal errors found. Good job.
    Minor errors found in your script:
    No minor errors found. Good job.

Please include a link to its Pastebin RAW (or any other host like dropbox/github/etc) as this makes uploading the theme to the server a lot easier!

If any edits are made to your theme during the review process, include them in your OP and list them as EDIT 1, EDIT 2, etc. Include
    tags listing the changes. This will make it easier for everyone to follow the progress of your theme.

Write a description of your theme. This may include role description, sides, general strategy and why it is different from other themes. Basically, the more detail we receive the easier it is to review and the more likely your theme will get approved.

Make sure your theme is not just a re-skin of another theme. It must be original.

Mafia is a community, so you should take note of all advice, criticism and suggestions that are given. However, feel free to only make changes that you see fit while considering all suggestions given.

A theme must be approved by OVER 50% of Mafia QC to be implemented in the server, with acceptances counting towards that number, and rejections against. If the number of accepts needed for a theme to be accepted drops to the number of accepts you currently have then you must still get another accept on your theme. Please keep a count of how many accepts/rejects you have in the original post.

In the event your thread is locked due to over 50% of Mafia QC rejecting, and you feel that you have made sufficient edits and changes which improve the theme, feel free to post another thread. But if you post immediately after your previous one is locked, or do not prove that enough thought has gone into the updates, you will receive an infraction and your thread will be locked.

Make sure your theme supports at the very least 40 players, unless it is a non-peak or specialty theme. If you do not meet this requirement, be prepared to support your reasoning behind this decision. (Example: Vanilla takes too long if there are more than 20 players.)

If you feel as if the QC are not moving fast enough, PM any on the server or forums.

If your thread goes longer than 3 months without a post in it, it will be considered "Declined" on a basis of "Non-pursuance."

Want to contribute? Posting guidelines for theme review

The purpose of this forum is to provide a completely transparent and accessible place for the review of Mafia themes. We encourage anyone and everyone to post. When posting, don't be afraid to suggest changes, share criticism, or shower with praise. But this process should allow themers to improve the overall quality of their work, so take care to always be constructive. Nonconstructive and pointless posts will be deleted and possibly infracted. Insulting posts will be infracted.

If you are not a member of QC, do not post a bolded "Accept" or "Reject."

DO NOT BUMP YOUR THEME, YOU WILL BE INFRACTED. Instead PM one or more Mafia QC members.

Members of theme QC - 0 Members, ?? Approvals Needed For Acceptance

Problems with QC members should be taken up with Beast and Fuzzy, or Professor Oak. These three are senior QC, able to review themes as well and their approvals/rejects will count to the 50% total, though the total remains ???. It is preferable to talk to the regular QC first, then Beast/Fuzzy, then Oak.

QC Guidelines

These apply to the people actually doing the reviewing. However, potential candidates for QC will most likely be spotted for following things on here, so be aware of these when posting. If you find any QC members not following this, then please report it to an owner.

• Make sure to remain impartial no matter who the submitter of the theme is. Any sort of bias that is aimed towards the submitter will not be tolerated. If you feel as if you cannot review a certain theme because of the submitter, then don't.
    • You are not allowed to review your own themes. This one should be obvious, but it needs to be said.
    • Make sure all feedback you give is constructive. Being harsh is ok, but saying something is bad without offering any help is not.
    • Do not accept a theme without at least some discussion. Make sure you give a logical reason when accepting a theme. Saying "I agree" or "This theme was popular" is not discussion.
    • Remember, playability and balance is much, much more important than flavor.
    • DO NOT BE AFRAID TO REJECT. It's better to reject a theme than to leave it and its author hanging.
    • Reviewing a theme where you only repeat what others have said can lead to you getting infracted or possibly fired from being QC. Your posts are expected to be thought out and original and you will be held to a high standard.
    • If your Accept is the one that makes the theme accepted tell an sMA.

Theme Testing

During the approval process sometimes it is hard to judge whether or not a theme is balanced. The QC members may deem it helpful to test the theme on the server to help get an idea of balance or any other issues which are not initially apparent.
    In order to get your theme tested you will need to follow 4 basic guidelines.

1. 3 QC members need to request a theme test in the theme's thread before it will be uploaded to the server. In order to get it uploaded PM a MA on the server and they will help you test it. QC Members will number requests in the same way that they number Approvals and Rejections so they can easily be counted.
    2. If your theme is in testing, you're not allowed to update without MA permission as this reenables the theme on the server.
    3. When a theme is tested post logs of the test in the
    tags in your theme approval thread to help other users who weren't present get a fair idea of your theme.
    4. Once a theme has been uploaded to the server for testing it will be removed after 3 days. This should allow most of the QC members time to see the theme in action and allow the author time to gather logs to post in the theme's thread to show balance or find problems.

Approved Themes
    http://pokemon-online.eu/forums/forumdisplay.php?111-Approved-Themes

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2013
  2. Zzyzx Road

Zzyzx Road Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Zzyzx Road
    If I may add, the submitter should post a link to the raw file online. This helps a lot in reviewing the script (and I think it makes it easier for the author to update the script in the same URL, plus adding the theme when it's approved and all).

3. Jalmont

Jalmont nothere

Would it be possible to require a list of roles, each role's action, and the sides in a simple list in the OP? This would make reviewing themes easier, as someone who just wants to help balance doesn't have to go through the code and decipher it? Just seems like it would make reviewing themses a lot easier.

4. Tesla Elesa

Tesla Elesa Almost Quality

Wha Rice isn't official anymore? And I don't see many non MA/mods on there. I assume you're going to eventually hire more people later though, so no need to rush with the new system.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  5. Yttrium

Yttrium Well-Known Member Developer Developer

PO Trainer Name:
    Yttrium
    Zzyzx isn't the only one... look more carefully!

6. Crystal Moogle

Crystal Moogle Ayaya~

PO Trainer Name:
    Hanako
    MeowMix/Samphire aren't MA/Mod either.

7. Li Q. Assir

Li Q. Assir Mindblower

Can't we just link to the Raw coding? Or did I understand this wrong?

Does the descriptions and other info have to be in
    tags too?

EDIT: nvm. I'll just follow the pattern

8. NAVIDAD PIRATE

NAVIDAD PIRATE THE PLEASURE OF BEING CUMMED INSIDE

PO Trainer Name:
    MeowMix
    I agree with this. Something simple like http://pokemon-online.eu/forums/showthread.php?15914-Caterpie works perfectly.

9. chippymunk

chippymunk Bran-ed

I'm not a QC member but can I still post on themes if I there is somthing I want to ask?

10. Shiny Rayquaza

Shiny Rayquaza Your nightmare!

Yes, you can. You may give feedback and stuff, but only QC members can Approved/reject.

11. SteelEdges

SteelEdges The Poll Dancer

Absolutely, but do not post a bolded "Accept" or "Reject."

12. Li Q. Assir

Li Q. Assir Mindblower

I don't know if there is a better place to put this, so I'll do here:

They had the idea of deleting all the themes to improve mafia and all those things they said. OK. I really appreciated the idea: things seems that will be more fair, et cetera... But the new Mafia Review is open for more than one day and only two themes have already been approved! Mafia Channel is awful at this moment! They (or you or we, idk) could try to bring back the (good) themes faster. I think this process is being too slow. If this problem can't be changed, they (or you, idk too) could at least have opened the Mafia Review for a longer time before deleting the themes or can bring back all the themes for a couple days and removing the ones which won't have been approved at that moment.

I think that the whole process is good, but the way it was implemented isn't working good yet. It'll be alright in some weeks, but for now, it's really bad :(

13. Yttrium

Yttrium Well-Known Member Developer Developer

PO Trainer Name:
    Yttrium
    What way would you suggest to speed up the process, but still make it fair for all themes?

14. Li Q. Assir

Li Q. Assir Mindblower

Like I said, one thing that could be made is bringing back the themes with this review opened. when a certain number of approvals is reached, all of the non-approved themes would be deleted. the process wouldn't speed up, but, at least, Mafia Channel won't suffer so much with lack of themes.

Another thing that could be made (though i don't know if that would actually work) is giving to every mafia player who uses the forum a 0.5 or 0.333 vote to the process of reviewing, followed by a explanation of why he approved certain theme. so, the QC staff won't be overloaded, but they will have a bigger decision power. since the idea was to bring fairness to the process and mafia is for everyone, why couldn't common mafia players choose the themes they want?

Of course, these are only some suggestions to try to make the channel diverse during the implementation of this reviewing process

15. Jalmont

Jalmont nothere

Giving each player a vote would undermine the whole point of the QC system. The QC people have been picked (or at least I assume) because they have intricate knowledge of mafia and know what makes a balanced and "good" theme. If everyone had a vote there would simply be no need for any of this at all. There is still nothing to stop common mafia players from helping, contributing to the themes, and making arguments on why a certain theme should be approved / rejected. We should be willing to take the risks of having mafia being "stale" today so that in the future the mafia channel will be filled with fun themes that everyone wants to play.

On another note, I think that if anything needed to be changed it would be a theme needing a majority vote from SteelEdges, Professor Oak, and Bebbz, although I don't see that in the OP anymore (maybe it's already been removed?) Kind of undermines the QC system, but it might've already been changed.

16. SteelEdges

SteelEdges The Poll Dancer

It was.

17. Tesla Elesa

Yay, suppose I'm an official QC member now. Prepare your bodies, themers.

18. Oh So Shoddy

Oh So Shoddy Devil's Advocate

Add SteelEdges to the QC team so everyone can keep track of the full list of reviewers please.

19. Beast

Beast I do what I want

I feel like some of the themes are not getting enough attention from the QC or just in general. Is there anyway to increase the amount of reviews or something? Like the theme Xenosaga has 84 views but only 3 replies, only one being a review. I don't know if it is possible to increase the reviews but it would be great if we somehow could.

20. Tesla Elesa

Hey, I try, but I can't do this all by myself :x. Where are you, other QC members?

21. Crystal Moogle

Crystal Moogle Ayaya~

PO Trainer Name:
    Hanako
    This is why I think the majority system is too much :x
    I would prefer around 5-6 approvals rather than the 10 or 11 that's needed now.

22. Oh So Shoddy

All in favor of majority vote say a... no.

With the majority vote in place we can be sure that each theme is being approved just because it has a small 'cult' who'll approve on sight. Yes, we have review guidelines to go by and the QC team was hand-picked but consider the majority decision a backup to ensure guidelines are being kept up.

As for speeding up the process, it was suggested that the QC team would direct attention to one theme at a time. Yes, this would potentially push back the time for a particular theme's review but we'd be getting themes back into play at a faster rate, if that is the main desire. Or at the very least providing feedback for the 'hottest' theme/s so authors can make changes ASAP.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  23. NAVIDAD PIRATE

NAVIDAD PIRATE THE PLEASURE OF BEING CUMMED INSIDE

PO Trainer Name:
    MeowMix
    Six or seven approved seems like a good number. As it is we have a lot of QC and trying to reach a majority on every theme would only slow down the process of getting themes back on the server. Someone also suggested that we could "Disapprove" or something similar if we believed that changes needed to be made but didn't want to outright reject a theme, which I feel is a good compromise.

24. Shiny Rayquaza

I to think that 6-7 looks like a good number. Waiting for every QC member to actually approve/rejecht can take some time, thinking on maybe not all of them lives in the same time zone.

25. Crystal Moogle

Crystal Moogle Ayaya~

PO Trainer Name:
    Hanako
    Just highlighting this change so people notice it.

Also about themes that are dropping down due to not getting that many replies, feel free to bump them back up if you feel it's getting ignored too much and you're the OP (Just don't get too bump happy...).

26. IceKirby

IceKirby A.K.A. RiceKirby

PO Trainer Name:
    RiceKirby
    So in other words, a theme needs (Number of Approves) - (Number of Rejects) >= 6 to get approved, right? It looks more reasonable to me, since a majority of reviewers would be too time-demanding for the QC team.

Also, how much would be "enough rejections"? I know those values are probably not definitive yet, but since the thread gets locked after that, I was wondering if having some time to gather extra feedback before the thread gets locked would be possible (either by having the submitter "knowing" how much rejections are left or by having a "lock thread in 48 hours" system).

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  27. Li Q. Assir

Li Q. Assir Mindblower

Agree.

This way, the attention would be focused to only a few themes (preferentially following the chronological order the themes were sent), and instead of having millions of themes being judged, one theme would be available for playing faster.

28. Oh So Shoddy

Well if we use your very own formula and apply the current total of 20 QC members, then the maximum number of rejections a theme could receive and still be approved would be 7.

(Number of Approves) - (Number of Rejects) >= 6
    13 approvals - 7 rejections = 6

Yeah I know I skipped a few steps but you got the gist of it.

Honestly I was just keeping it simple so we wouldn't lose SteelEdges along the way. He no so good at the math[/HIDE]

29. Beast

Beast I do what I want

1 Aiku / Deria
    2 BebbZ
    3 Dark Phoenix
    4 fitzyhbbe
    5 Irma
    6 Katia
    7 MeowMix
    8 Nainil
    9 Oh So Shoddy
    10 PokeWorldBW
    11 Professor Oak
    12 Samphire
    13 SteelEdges
    14 t3 the third
    15 Tesla Elesa/Twins
    16 vintage books
    17 Water
    18 Zzyzx Road

I only counted 18 QC members even though there were 19 yesterday making your math slightly off.

I think it would be 6 rejections and it can still be approved.

12 approvals - 6 rejections = 6

Kept it simple so everyone could understand. Lol.

30. Crystal Moogle

Crystal Moogle Ayaya~

PO Trainer Name:
    Hanako
    Sorry to anyone who couldn't reply to threads in Approved Themes. I accidentally set the wrong permission...
    It should work fine again now

31. Shiny Rayquaza

Btw, I've gone through older post, and seen how that some of them never got a reject/approve. QC members should goto Page 2 and Page 3 and look at themes were no reject/approve was posted.

32. Oh So Shoddy

Some themes are just getting overlooked as the review process becomes prolonged by constant edits. They'll all be finalized in time. But you've brought up a good point though. We'll have to work on how much attention we direct to themes and for how long.

33. Beast

Beast I do what I want

Is there any way to delete the locked threads? It would reduce the amount of pages for themes. If we can't delete them can we move them to their own folder like you did with the approved themes? I know there are not many locked threads but I know in the future there will be. If this is a dumb request then feel free to ignore it.

34. Shiny Rayquaza

I'm sure a mod can delete those treads. Else the one whom started it can delete it by deleting the first post.

35. Oh So Shoddy

It would probably be more feasible to have them set aside for future reference on how not to make a theme. Deleting them will just lead to someone repeating the same mistakes.

36. Beast

Beast I do what I want

I think that there should be a maximum number of pending threads that someone should be able to have. Maybe 4 since I think that is the highest number of open threads that any one user has. *cough* ME *cough* This will help to limit the themes that are coming in for review. I really want any of my themes to get approved so I keep thinking of ideas for a theme. If this keeps going then one day I am going to have a whole page of themes just to myself and other people might too. I am already working on a 5th theme, don't worry it won't be ready any time soon because I am to lazy to finish something else first.

I think this is a good idea but this is just my opinion.

37. Oh So Shoddy

I'm not quite sure if limiting any particular user to a certain number of themes is the best route. That could potentially stop better themes from coming in. I personally don't care who made the theme, If 20 themes made by one particular user are better than all the others then those 20 themes should be in the rotation.

38. Beast

Beast I do what I want

I just meant in pending. Once one is accepted/rejected and locked then the person should feel free to submit another theme. It is just an idea and my opinion. If there is not limit then I will keep submitting themes as I think of them. Of course I don't plan to spam themes so don't worry about that.

39. TheUnknownOne

TheUnknownOne Member

That's a really good idea.

40. Oh So Shoddy

It might seem like a good idea at first but think about it. Those very same deleted threads will serve as a benchmark for any future theme-maker. "Your theme must exceed this level of quality". Or, "do not replicate the errors found here". Or even "try not to recreate the concepts found here without improving the delivery and gameplay. All points that can be picked up by simply going through those threads that have been disapproved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.