1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

Mythology (Myth)

Discussion in 'Active Themes' started by fitzy, Sep 14, 2012.

1. fitzy

fitzy Heart of the cards Forum Moderator Forum Moderator

http://pastebin.com/b5sGYBps

{
    "name":"Mythology",
    "sides":[{
    "side":"mafia1",
    "translation":"Underworld"
    },
    {
    "side":"mafia2",
    "translation":"Gorgons"
    },
    {
    "side":"village",
    "translation":"Olympians"
    },
    {
    "side":"basilisk",
    "translation":"Basilisk"
    },
    {
    "side":"kronos",
    "translation":"Kronos"
    }
    ],
    "roles":[{
    "role":"villager",
    "translation":"Demigod",
    "help":"You dont have any special commands during the night! Vote to remove people in the day!",
    "actions":{
    "hax":{
    "kill":{
    "revealTeam":0.07,
    "revealPlayer":0.05
    }
    }
    }
    },
    {
    "role":"inspector",
    "translation":"Athena",
    "help":"Goddess of Wisdom. Use your powers to find out someones role. Type /Inspect [name] to find his/her identity!",
    "night":{
    "inspect":{
    "target":"AnyButSelf",
    "common":"Self",
    "priority":30
    }
    }
    }
    },
    {
    "role":"bodyguard",
    "translation":"Ares",
    "help":"God of War. Use your powers to prevent someone's death. You may protect one person per night, make it count! Type /Protect [name] to protect someone! Your vote also counts as 2.",
    "protect":{
    "priority":3
    }
    },
    "vote": 2,
    "startup":"role-reveal"
    }
    },
    {
    "role":"mafia1",
    "translation":"Cerberus",
    "help":"Three-headed dog of the Underworld, and servant of Hades. You have a small chance to discover the Pretty Lady. Type /Kill [name] to kill someone!",
    "target":"AnyButTeam",
    "common":"Team",
    "priority":11,
    "broadcast":"team"
    }
    },
    "distract":{
    "revealPlayer":0.1
    }
    },
    "startup":"team-reveal"
    }
    },
    {
    "role":"werewolf",
    "translation":"Basilisk",
    "side":"basilisk",
    "help":"Feared creature of the night. You can paralyze and consume one person per night. Type /Kill [name] to kill someone!",
    "priority":10
    }
    },
    "mode":"ChangeTarget",
    "hookermsg":"You tried to distract the Basilisk (what an idea, srsly), you were ravishly devoured, yum!",
    "msg":"The ~Distracter~ came to you last night! You devoured her instead!"
    },
    "avoidHax":["kill"
    ]
    }
    },
    {
    "role":"hooker",
    "translation":"Aphrodite",
    "help":"Goddess of Love. Use your powers to pacify someone for a single night. Type /Distract [name] to distract someone! Vote to remove people in the day!",
    "priority":1
    }
    }
    }
    },
    {
    "role":"mayor",
    "translation":"Zeus",
    "help":"God of the Gods. You rule the Olympians, and thus your vote counts as 4. You dont have any special commands during the night! Vote to remove people in the day!",
    "vote":4
    }
    },
    {
    "role":"kronos",
    "translation":"Kronos",
    "side":"kronos",
    "help":"Leader of the Titans, you are all alone after your tyranny. However, you control immense power, and a single vote by you will vote someone out. You don't have any special commands during the night! Vote to remove people in the day!",
    "vote":100
    }
    },
    {
    "role":"spy",
    "translation":"Hermes",
    "help":"God of Spies and Thievery. Use your powers at night to find out who the evil people are. You can find out who is going to get killed next!(no command for this ability) Vote to remove people in the day!",
    "revealTeam":0.4,
    "revealPlayer":0.13
    }
    }
    }
    },
    {
    "role":"vigilante",
    "translation":"Themis",
    "help":"Titan of Law and Order. The Olympians have requested your help to keep the peace. Type /Kill [name] to kill someone!(dont kill the good people!)",
    "priority":19
    }
    }
    }
    },
    {
    "role":"mafia2",
    "translation":"Gorgon",
    "help":"Your head is writhing with snakes that terrify even the most hardened God. You have a small chance to discover the Bodyguard! Type /Kill [name] to kill someone!",
    }
    },
    "protect":{
    "revealPlayer":0.1
    }
    },
    }
    },
    {
    "role":"mafiaboss2",
    "translation":"Medusa",
    "help":"Most powerful of the Gorgons. You have the power to appear as a normal Demigod at will, and so the Inspector will see you as a villager. Anyone who tries to distract you will die. Type /Kill [name] to kill someone! You can't be distracted!",
    "priority":12,
    }
    },
    "mode":"ignore"
    },
    "revealAs":"villager"},
    }
    },
    {
    "role":"mafiaboss1",
    "translation":"Hades",
    "help":"Lord of the Underworld. Your veil of Darkness protects you from the feeble spying attempts of Hermes and the Demigods. (Perhaps it would be wise for your minions to allow you to make the killing decisions?) You may also kill one person during the day, while your aura of Night keeps you hidden. Type /Kill [name] to kill someone, during either phase!",
    }
    },
    "avoidHax": ["kill"],
    "startup":"team-reveal",
    "standby":{
    "msg":"It's daytime, but you are cloaked in Darkness. Type /Kill to get rid of your nemesis.",
    "killmsg":"A dark shadow appears behind ~Target~ and grows into a menacing form. A black aura surrounds them, and both Hades and ~Target~ are taken to the Underworld."
    }
    }
    }
    },
    {
    "role":"samurai",
    "translation":"Achilles",
    "help":"While mortal, the Olympians have deemed you strong enough to survive their cause. However, you are not beyond disposable, and so you kill in the daylight where your name will be revealed. Type /Kill [name] during the day phase to kill someone! You will be revealed when you kill, so make wise choices! You are allied with the Good people.",
    "standby":{
    "msg":"You can kill now using /kill [name] :",
    "killmsg":"~Self~ pulls out a sword and strikes it through ~Target~'s chest!"
    }
    }
    }
    },
    {
    "role":"miller",
    "translation":"Chronos",
    "help":"God of Time, you are allied with the Olympians. However, you are too often confused with Kronos, and thus the Inspector sees you as him. You dont have any special commands during the night! Vote to remove people in the day!",
    "revealAs":"kronos"
    }
    }
    }
    ],
    "roles1":["bodyguard",
    "mafia1",
    "inspector",
    "werewolf",
    "hooker",
    "villager",
    "mafia1",
    "villager",
    "villager",
    "villager",
    "mayor"
    ],
    "roles2":["bodyguard",
    "mafia1",
    "mafia1",
    "inspector",
    "hooker",
    "villager",
    "mafia2",
    "mafia2",
    "villager",
    "spy",
    "villager",
    "mayor",
    "samurai",
    "kronos",
    "mafiaboss1",
    "miller",
    "mafiaboss2",
    "villager",
    "villager",
    "vigilante",
    "villager",
    "samurai",
    "villager",
    "werewolf",
    "villager",
    "villager",
    "werewolf",
    "mafia1",
    "mafia2",
    "bodyguard"
    ],
    "villageCantLoseRoles":["mayor",
    "vigilante",
    "samurai",
    "bodyguard"
    ]
    }[/HIDE]

Old mythology before any changes.

Just a noteI take NO claim to this theme at all. I'm only putting it here as its ridiculous this hasn't even been put up for review yet. Redsnake can do whatever he wants to the theme when he stops being afk but for now I'm putting it here.

I really don't have to talk about it as I'm p.sure everyone on the review team has played this 100 times. I did check the pastebin on rices thing and no errors.

2. Zzyzx Road

Zzyzx Road Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Zzyzx Road
    Why is the title #2?

3. fitzy

fitzy Heart of the cards Forum Moderator Forum Moderator

I think this is a copy that readsnake made for it when making changes. Anyway good spot and fixing atm

4. Zzyzx Road

Zzyzx Road Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Zzyzx Road
    Well I don't see anything this theme needs right now, except maybe Hades ignoring PL and Persephone on the Underworld side but this is almost a new theme .-.

approve nonetheless

5. Li Q. Assir

Li Q. Assir Mindblower

QC, approve it now! (if you want to do it, of couse...)

6. Redsnake

Redsnake Paradox Whale

For the record, I made a major update to it here after it was brought to my attention that large games may have been a little slow (when I initially designed it, a ~30 person game was basically unheard of). Essentially I added a third Mafia group for games of this nature while trying to keep it interesting yet contained enough to avoid causing a headache for everyone used to the old theme.

However, I understand that most of the time the theme is perfectly fine and people have no qualms about it; so I completely understand if people want to keep the old version :)

Edit: I looked at Fitzy's post and realized that it was the original version before I added Apollo who I am rather partial to<3 So this is actually the one I would like to be uploaded.

Edit 2: This version is the same as my previous edit, with Sandusky's idea to change the distract messages.

Edit 3: This version is the same as previous and includes Kirby's idea for Poseidon teamreveal if he is Underworld.

Edit 4: This version is the same as previous and includes distract message changes (again) and small game tweaks.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  7. IceKirby

IceKirby A.K.A. RiceKirby

PO Trainer Name:
    RiceKirby
    I like the Apollo update, but Titans were kind of meh (Not the idea of having Titans, but the way they were made).
    I'd say the version with Apollo and Medusa's power up (but with no Titans side) should be the one to be considered.

8. Sandusky

Sandusky My body is ready!

I know this is going to approved easily, but I have 1 question, are you going to change the hooker msg and the msg on Basilisk?

9. Redsnake

Redsnake Paradox Whale

My thought process behind it was:

1. Add another group for larger games.
    Things could get slow with so many people.

1a. Don't make them too powerful.
    With Medusa getting another kill, games (especially when Basilisk joins) start off with a lot of kills typically. Titans start the game with a weak spy, a small negative vote, and a daykill with a silly chance of reveal. However, games that go past 3 turns often start to slow down, and this is the point where they would get a virtually omniscient spy, a nightkill, and a daykiller with a much lower chance of reveal.

2. Make roles that fit with the theme, and themselves.
    Titans were an obvious choice; however, I couldn't find many of them with distinct roles in Greek Mythology, which I wanted, so with the ones I found I tried my best to make their characteristics justify a role.

Personally, I think it would add new roles to prevent Demi infestation (which means I don't have to neuter their hax chance, which I think has always been a little high) without unbalancing everything, and making bigger games more interesting. I'm set against adding any poisoners, so this is what I came up with.

However, I said that if you guys don't like it, it's fine not to add them in, or to change them if anyone has any good ideas.

10. Redsnake

Redsnake Paradox Whale

Thanks for bringing that up; I sure will. At the time I kept as much the same from default as I could so I could focus on the new stuff :)

11. Katia

Katia Haxy Haxy!

Underworld does NOT need anymore help. If you want to make more bad guys, first power up the gorgons as they are underpowered. That aside, I approve this theme.

12. Scatterbrain

Scatterbrain You only live once*

Redsnake added a /gaze (additional kill) aside from the regular kill from the rest of the Gorgons (a little lesson: Medusa is a Gorgon btw). And the fact that she's immune to PL and inspects as a Demigod really makes it worse than Hades to deal with, because Medusa can just tell her Gorgon teammates to kill for her, seeing as how /gaze can't be haxed. I also recommend Titans winning with Cronus (or Kronos, whichever you prefer) however, they aren't on the same side so it isn't so OP that Cronus doesn't know the Titans, seeing as one can kill, one can daykill and one's a spy. I also recommend making the Titan's /empower self-convert on different nights so 1) it isn't too OP and 2) prevents spam.
    It's still a classical theme, but it just needed some cleaning up.

13. Redsnake

Redsnake Paradox Whale

/gaze can be haxed I'm pretty sure. I would keep Kronos on his own team. However, converting on different nights is a good idea. Spy-Daykiller-Nightkiller would be a good flow :)

14. Scatterbrain

I know, I never said anything about Kronos leaving sides. I was just saying you could put "winningSides": "titans", because Cronus is the leader of the Titans, no? And custom kill commands like /gaze can't be haxed under "kill", they can only be haxed under "gaze". Medusa's /kill can be haxed, just not /gaze.

15. Redsnake

Redsnake Paradox Whale

Oh, did not know that. Well, if anyone likes the changes I made I could add the Kronos thing. I dunno if Medusa is too powerful if gaze is unhaxable though.

16. IceKirby

PO Trainer Name:
    RiceKirby
    I don't see a problem with that. Gorgons were too weak, and Olympians and Underworld got some buffs too (Apollo and Poseidon).
    BTW, you could add "startup": { "team-revealif": ["mafia1"] } to Poseidon so he will know its team if it gets sided with Underworld.

17. Redsnake

Redsnake Paradox Whale

Good idea, I'll add that.

18. Sandusky

Sandusky My body is ready!

That part has been nagging me.

19. Scatterbrain

It isn't; it gives it as much bias as Hades did pre-Apollo. I believe the Olympians need a buff up. Logically, Ares is the god of war, so why not add a one-time nightkill? Just suggesting.

20. Katia

Katia Haxy Haxy!

I wasn't aware of Medusa's new toy.

21. Redsnake

Redsnake Paradox Whale

I added it with Apollo; Gorgons had always been weaker without the daykill (although occasionally being asked by Inspector to voice is always funny), and if Poseidon got put with Hades then the Gorgons would have been at even more of a disadvantage,

22. NAVIDAD PIRATE

NAVIDAD PIRATE THE PLEASURE OF BEING CUMMED INSIDE

PO Trainer Name:
    MeowMix
    I'd rather see old myth on the server tbh.

23. t3 the third

t3 the third Member

I prefer the old mythology theme but the Gorgons are definitely underpowered and Apollo is actually pretty nice.

24. Oh So Shoddy

Oh So Shoddy Devil's Advocate

This review process was set up so so every theme, no matter how good could be critiqued and updated to make it more sustainable as an entertaining theme for a long period of time. Whether it's a thorough update or just a minor refresh to enhance the theme slightly. No, we don't need to fix what's not broken, but we're not looking to fix, just improve.

Not exactly a direct reply to you [Redsnake] just my view on the matter.

I love the additions of Apollo and Poseidon. They add another element to the game and certainly make it more interesting. Medusa's upgrade is nice too. It gives the Gorgons a much needed improvement.

The distract message is a step in the right direction but I still think it could be a bit better, what do you think of "You sway seductively to your target but it's the Basilisk! You attempt to scream but its menacing gaze is stifling and you are unable to utter a sound as the creature slithers towards you..."

I like this for most up-to-date version.

I do agree that the Olympians seem a bit underpowered, what with Achilles having to sit in the shadows and Athena unable to voice her findings early on. But we have quite a few demigods and they do get a fair amount of hax. I wouldn't be adverse to the idea of a power-buff though. Though I'm not sure another kill is what we need. Maybe a nighttime revenge-kill? This would dissuade Hades from killing at night and leaving it solely to his minions. It would hinder Medusa from exercising her new ability though, so I'm not too keen on that idea either

Honestly, I'm fine with the latest update (EDIT 3) and I'm more than keen to approve once I get some opinion on the distract message.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  25. IceKirby

PO Trainer Name:
    RiceKirby
    This wouldn't work. Revenge for nightkills won't affect the person that input the action, but the role with the highest priority. In Mythology's case, as long as one Cerberus is alive, Hades wouldn't be affected by the night bomb.

26. NAVIDAD PIRATE

PO Trainer Name:
    MeowMix
    Am I the only person who doesn't like Apollo? It gives the village a cleaned role that essentailly can't be be daykilled, allowing PRs to connect easily; combined with all the demihax and you have a village that is actually really strong, and having played new myth a few times it generally plays out that way. I know there was a clamor for an update because of the 30 player limit, but I feel like it should be addressed in a different way.

27. Oh So Shoddy

Apollo can be day-killed. He just revenges that kill. Yeah this make Hades think twice before killing during the day but the only way for Apollo to reveal and connect PRs is through /illuminate. Even if he's smart enough to illuminate a demigod, or lucky enough to reveal mafia, he still makes himself susceptible to any of the night-killers that will be prowling, eager to be rid of him and his light.

No mafia will leave him alive knowing he could very well put them on blast, especially Cerbs who have Hades to consider.

28. NAVIDAD PIRATE

PO Trainer Name:
    MeowMix
    except for that whole bodyguard role

29. Oh So Shoddy

Hmm. Good point, one that I completely overlooked. I still think we can at least commence a testing phase to see just how much it will affect game-play. Apollo is quite similar to Sonic and no one pays Sonic that much respect. Apollo can only turn the lights on every 2 days after all

It's all dependent on how much Apollo will be valued. If you put him at the forefront then you're leaving all your other PRs wide open. Medusa got an extra 'silent' kill and there's only one BG. The second one doesn't show up until you get 30 players. Maybe we could push his appearance back a bit if that turns into a problem.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  30. Yttrium

Yttrium Well-Known Member Developer Developer

PO Trainer Name:
    Yttrium
    There were other problems this theme had that I don't think were addressed...

In small games (especially at 5), good is OP. With Ares being a BG + Mayor (making it a villageCantLoseRole), the mafia hardly have a chance of winning. Also, at exactly 13 players, when Achilles joins, good is again incredibly OP. 13 players is before Kronos and Hades's appearance and Achilles can just claim, giving the village another essentially free kill. Because of this, I think you should tweak the roles lists.

31. Redsnake

Redsnake Paradox Whale

Ok, I can fix these. I don't generally play at offpeak hours so I don't see small games too much.

@Meowmix, what if I gave Medusa's second kill a chance to bypass bodyguard? (is that possible?) Like 30% maybe?
    @Shoddy Okay, I like your distract message better.

32. Raiden17

Raiden17 New Member

Mythology is a great theme, and one of the few that I wouldn't even care if I played a Villy role (Demi). We need it back!

33. Redsnake

Redsnake Paradox Whale

At QC's: Could you (dis)approve my 3rd Edit version above (here) while we discuss other things mentioned?

34. NAVIDAD PIRATE

PO Trainer Name:
    MeowMix
    @Redsnake, not to be rude or anything but I just don't like the Apollo role in general (although I am certainly in the minority). If you're adamant about keeping it though, maybe make Gaze a one time BG piercing attack, but give it to all the gorgons a la /ionize in Elements? I feel like that would buff the Gorgons in general and Medusa could still ignore distract/hax/whatever she actually still does.

I'm just spitballing that suggestion is probably not great other QC people halp

35. Zzyzx Road

Zzyzx Road Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Zzyzx Road
    backing the desperate cat up, he had a good idea

36. Redsnake

Redsnake Paradox Whale

I dunno, I feel it would be TOO strong considering that she would just save it for Apollo (who needs to reveal to do anything).

37. Zzyzx Road

Zzyzx Road Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Zzyzx Road
    I think the original village was nicer too :/

Gorgons' adds are all pretty cool though

38. t3 the third

t3 the third Member

By the way, wouldn't Current Team just tell players on whose side Poseidon is? I don't know how random sides work but this is worth mentioning.

39. Zzyzx Road

Zzyzx Road Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Zzyzx Road
    Well the idea is that Poseidon gets chosen a random side to work for at the start - the point is that so others don't know who he is with

40. Oh So Shoddy

Yeah, Poseidon is fine. It seems the only controversial issue is Apollo. More feedback on his effect and whether to go forward with him is what we need. I'm surprised at the lack of (relative) attn to this theme.