1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Cloudflare Security Issue - Change Your Passwords!

Hello there, Guest!

Cloudflare, the internet proxy we use to protect ourselves against DDoS and other malicious attacks, reported on 23rd February 2017 that they had patched a bug reported by Google's Project Zero that was exposing sensitive information in random requests, approximately 0.00003% of all requests, since September 2016.

Whilst it is unlikely that any information has been leaked from this website, we recommend that all users change their passwords here on the Pokémon Online forums, as a precaution. Remember to use a unique and secure password for every site that requires one.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Dismiss Notice

A Guide to Marvel - Director Insight

Discussion in 'Mafia' started by Dark Phoenix, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Dark Phoenix

Dark Phoenix Multidimensional Hero

Okay so after seeing a few (unknown whether or not to be isolated) comments about Marvel can be confusing and/or has too many things going on, I want to give my insight on each characters, how to be successful as said characters, and future changes on the theme itself I have lined up.

Village Roles: (I think the most fun could actually be had in this team, which other themes usually divulge onto the mafia roles)

Rogue: A role who distracts one person and if targeted with a kill at night, becomes a bomb and both characters will die.
    Professor Xavier: A role who inspects, picks up slight hax and will always start the game knowing who Ice-Man is. If he is killed, Bruce Banner unleashes and becomes the Hulk.
    Ice Man: Protects two characters and also can distract another character.
    Morph: A new type of character that I feel should not focused on killing - he can interchange between roles (selective).
    Dr. Strange: He can either stay as the sorcerer supreme or invoke the powers of the Vishanti
    Spider-Man: Night-evading samurai; village can be make/break without him.
    Bruce Banner: An action evading safeguarder who, if voted out, turns into the Hulk unless his Xavier conditions are met.

Rogue (creator insight and how to be utilized)
    When playing as Rogue you don't really want to advertise who you are (duh) or really draw attention to yourself. You want to be as discreet as possible; since you will blow up whenever someone kills you at night it's almost imperative that you make sure it's something you'll want to have done it, such as someone like Stardust (who shouldn't be killing anyway) or the Hulk. There's nothing to technical as to being Rogue really, just try not to distract another pr!

Professor Xavier (creator insight and how to be utilized)
    Xavier holds the foundation for the village, really. If he dies - he unwittingly unleashes the Hulk. He starts the game knowing Ice-Man who can BG two people, so he should really be protecting Xavier and himself if possible. Xavier gets a little hax on kills (on those that aren't hax free) so he should try to find a civilian voice as fast as possible BUT be weary, Dormammu could be right around the corner with that mindless conversion so always make sure you check twice if your voice has been tainted or not.

Ice-Man (creator insight and how to be utilized)
    I've since upgraded Ice-Man after seeing he only protects himself, with a recharge! There is no other BG so I've figured this is a long-time coming. Ice Man protects two people (no recharge) and can also distract another person! I figured he'd be able to freeze someone during the night to prevent them from disrupting a command or killing, while he protect two people or himself and the professor. This still however, won't negate poison or the fact that dark phoenix could still snipe Xavier. Keep silent and try not to get revealed!

Morph (creator insight and how to be utilized)
    Morph is incredibly crafty and he actually possesses the ability to transform into a role of roles - but because that is tedious time consuming and can be rather useless I wanted to get a general idea of what he could do. I have his multiple forms as the way they are so that when he's recharging from a command from say ice man, he can switch it up to go to the bastion make-shift form and deliver some power from there. I actually have not been able to be this role yet in my own game but my advice is to actually have fun with it. The roles abilities are as this:
    Ice Morph: protect anyone with a recharge of three nights, distract anyone with a recharge of two nights.
    Mind Morph: Bomb; that's it.
    Bastion Morph: Poison two people with a count of 4 nights for a recharge of 4 nights.
    As regular morph your only ability is that you evade poison.

Dr. Strange (creator insight and how to be utilized)
    Another underutilized role that I see and still have not been is the sorcerer supreme! He has the ability to either stay as the sorcerer supreme or invoke the powers of the Vishanti. This role was designed to counter Team Shuma-Gorath (in the comics they are all rivals of one another) but I need to work on him some more, personally. If you stay as the sorcerer supreme, you avoid all night-kills while also having Invoking the powers of the Vishanti, you can protect someone and you counter-daykills. (Technically you can shell out and protect yourself and then counter someone's daykill. Invoking the power of the Octessence, You can poison people with a count of two days (recharge of two days) and you can safeguard someone as well. Personally I would suggest staying as the sorcerer supreme and wait until the game changes for you to change forms. If Ice-Man dies you might need to protect someone (or yourself) but if you feel like you need to eliminate the mafia and protect people from poison Octessence is the way to go.

Spider-Man (creator insight and how to be utilized)
    Okay this is really a no-brainer and needs no explaining. DON'T REVEAL unless stardust is dead, shuma is dead, and you have the voting power. Honestly, don't just kill and expect to win, unless it's a small-game and you know Stardust (and shuma isn't around), otherwise, you're going to get slaughter'd the next day (or even that voting phase).

Bruce Banner (creator insight and how to be utilized)
    You evade 80% of practically anything that could hurt you; and you ignore poison. Don't connect to village b/c if you get voted out or Xavier dies - you turn into the incredible Hulk. That doesn't mean you should be a jerk though, if you see Spider-Man reveal- be a nice guy and give him some safeguards.

Conspirator: Just a typical role; however, if desired, am willing to alter this role drastically..
    Wraith: Just a killer who wins with other sides.

Wraith (creator insight and how to be utilized)
    Don't reveal, mafia thinks it's funny to kill the conspirator, seriously. If you guys have any suggestions on what this role should turn into let me know, I was thinking of giving him a N6 powerup but, dunno!

The Hulk: Good god, this guy is a monster.
    Hulk: Two Night kills, evade poison, evade kills, counter day kills. What's that? He can be voted out? Good, thought he was unstoppable.

Hulk (creator insight and how to be utilized)
    Did you play well as Banner? Does no one know your role? Good. No one's on your team so go nuts, kill everyone. Just try not to get exposed because you have no voting power.

Team Herald: This side was meant to focus on the killing and is a counter for spider-man if he reveals too early.

Stardust: Shared Nightkiller with a revealing day-kill
    Silver Surfer: Shared nightkiller that inspects' as citizen
    Galactus: Shared nightkill that ignores distractions

Stardust (creator insight and how to be utilized)
    Let Galactus kill, and if you see Spider-Man reveal, kill him if the situation calls for it because otherwise your team is free to him. Badly.
    Silver Surfer (creator insight and how to be utilized)
    Go ahead, claim citizen. Don't troll too hard but if you can gain Xavier's trust....
    Galactus (creator insight and how to be utilized)
    Just kill every night and if your partner's think you're wrong for doing so step on them reason with them that you don't get distracted. I've considered giving him a power-boost but I have not seen a collection of data to persuade me otherwise.

Team Shuma: Just shuma again.

Shuma-Gorath (creator insight and how to be utilized)
    He kills at night without the fear of hax and he kills during the day. This slimy boss literally has tried to take over earth almost the entire life-span of Earth canonically. So this dude is meant to be the overpowered beast that it is; so much so that his power made Dr. Strange kill himself. Again - he's a go nuts kind of guy, have no fear, because hax is not here!

Dark Phoenix: From my prior writing, I have since updated Dark Phoenix and have given her a priority one kill, a regular kill, and a one-time only poison. She also has a voteshield of -100000, meaning deadpool can't just rand her out; he needs at least 2 people to. :p this makes her a legitimate threat, though I fear she has gone over the boat!

Dark Phoenix (creator insight and how to be utilized)
    She's pretty godlike. Exceed BG kills, regular kill, and a one-time only poison. Spread mass destruction!

Bastion: He can poison four characters, and carries -5 votes, however he has a recharge on the poison

Bastion (creator insight and how to be effective)
    I've eliminated his team because their success was mild and I wanted to breathe some new innovation into it.. However that's another story. - Bastion can poison people religiously. Try and scope out PRs (ie people not talking) and use your negative votes if you'd like to keep yourself or other enemies safe! Your -5 votes is pretty strong

Doom and his League of Doom Bots.

Dr. Doom and his Bots:
    So I figured that there should be a team that competes with the Heralds - and the village without being too powerful... What follows is an example of how I've tried to accomplish both!
    Dr. Doom - you have a simple day-kill, and nothing else. You are the sole breath of air into this team; and should you die everyone else does, save for one!
    Doombot(1) - You have a command that both inspects and distracts a target - essentially you will be providing info to Doo.
    Doombot(2) - You have a command that both tries to kill OR poison a target - this is a secondary option to removing threats
    Doombot(3) - You have a command that will protect and safeguard doom - this is vital!
    Doombot(4) - You don't have any commands but if Doom dies you are the only one that stays alive and you convert into Doom!

How to be successful on Doom's team!
    Listen to Doom; he is your master. Doom - kill anyone (but team obviously), Doombot 3 always stay on Doom, Doombot 2 and Doombot 1 just coordinate with one another. Doombot4...try to stay hidden!

Team Stan Lee
    Well you all asked for him... It's Stan Lee!
    He doesn't do anything till Night 3, upon that night you can convert anyone into a random role (Magneto Vulcan X-Man or Mister M. If they die, you turn into TOAA.

How to be Successful on Stan Lee's team
    Stan Lee: Try not to get voted off and convert someone that's NOT spider-man or maybe someone who claimed villy - seriously, that might help you.

Any of the roles: Protect stan (when you can) and/or yourself. If you die (not a bad thing) you convert Stan into the TOAA

TOAA: Wreck havoc on the Marvel Universe; kill during the day etc;. Taunt if you can!

Deadpool: He's OFF-the wall! He breaks the 4th wall - seriously. 9999 votes and an unrevealed expose in the day.

Deadpool (creator insight and how to be utilized)
    troll, troll, and troll harder. OK, I lied, because who wants to get banned?! Just expose anyone you want during the day and don't vote unless necessary. You can make the game change quickly if utilized to the fullest extent!

If anyone has any further questions on this theme, why some roles are here (or omitted), and any comments or concerns just let me know!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  2. Zzyzx Road

Zzyzx Road Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Zzyzx Road
    I love the Banner/Hulk thing. Also grats on the whole commentary.

3. KoolAid

KoolAid #FreeKoolAid

This seems like a great theme, it's just too bad I die n1 every time we play it. And every other theme too.

4. Jiggles

Jiggles mami circular

PO Trainer Name:
    Jiggles
    <3 thanks for taking the time to make this! It was an interesting read and I think I understand the theme much better now!

5. Dark Phoenix

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm almost certain if themers followed suit they would see an increase in play almost. I apologize if you keep dying n1 Koolaid, if there's something of a trend going on with that feel free to PM me on the server so I can look into it - but other than that I'd like to make some improvements to the theme. If anyone has suggestions just let me know!

6. Beast

Beast I do what I want

Do you want the suggestions posted here or in the thread of the theme? I am just Wondering.

7. Dark Phoenix

Well I wanted to do some updates to the theme (balance adjustments) and was wondering what some of you thought for the following actions

Dark Phoenix
    In smaller games, she now have 1 kill (1st priority) and 1 time only poison

In bigger games, she has 2 kills (1st priority) and one medium kill, a 1-time only poison, and she now cannot be voted off. I was thinking of either giving her a vote-shield of 10k, or being more obvious and giving her a phoenix-esque resurrection that will clearly make her a target. the way to prevent her from being voted out that way would just be onLynch convert: phoenix -> phoenix2 and then phoenix2 -> phoenix. I don't know which one would be better. One would obviously allow her to live another day while another would think a "deadpool" or sentinel force member voted.

Shuma-Gorath
    Thinking of removing dormammu and mindless ones from the game; as of right now they're almost useless and aren't doing the job. Instead, Shuma-gorath will now have a chance to evade all commands (about 20% each) and will always ignore distractions. This will give him more longevity and will give him that scary-factor.

Sentinel Force
    Seems kind of UP in most of the games - Bastion and Master Mold almost always seem to make it to the end in medium games but in larger games I feel like they just get outclassed. In accordance with the fact that Shuma's team might be removed, I was thinking of making Bastion a lone role that doses out 5 poisons with a 4 night count with a 2 day recharge. That way he cannot kill 5 people back to back after n5. Again this is not concrete and if anyone has anything different to say just let me know!

Dr. Doom

Now with the removal of 2 "teams" - I have to introduce another concrete mafia2, don't I? Well here's my proposal! Dr. Doom! :D. He has a plethora of tools and his knowledge is vast. I was even considering him before but now I want to do something nifty. Team Doom will be comprised of Dr. Doom, Dr. Doom, Dr. Doom, Dr. Doom and Dr. Doom.... but I guess only a Marvel fan will understand why lol. Dr. Doom often creates and outfits "robots" with his abilities and personalities that are similar to him. Dr. Doom (the real one) will only have an unrevealing day-kill, while each bot would offer different abilities [to represent his different abilities]. Doombot would have the ability to protect & safeguard his target (this is doom's failsafe bot.). Doombot2 would have the ability to kill or poison (random chance) or should I make it restricted? Doombot3 will be distract / inspect. Doombot4 will evade nightkills and poisons (.9, giving this next plan a chance to fail). Under the conditions that realdoom dies, all doombots (1-3) will be killed off - and Doom will transfer his soul into doombot4. He will retain his unrevealing daykill but he will obviously have no team-mates. That makes it imperative to find doombot4 and remove him from the game or Doom will always have a fail-safe (which he ALWAYS has, because Doom plans for everything. Even if he were to lose, which is impossible, because Doom is never there!

Well that's all I have for now - does anyone have any questions or comments? I think this is a better way to utilize the marvel universe whilst being diverse! I'm also planning to remove another PR and introduce someone else but---that's another discussion afterwards!

8. Fegelein

Fegelein The Mechanic

PO Trainer Name:
    Fegelein
    The Dr Doom team is excellent, and well thought out. Kudos to you on that. I like the buffs to Phoenix and Shuma as well.
    Bastion sounds like a Neptunium role, should certainly be interesting.

9. DatXFire

DatXFire Never gonna use an avatar

I think that you should give DP a voteshield instead making her last longer in larger games thus causing confusion and making things hectic. Not only will it keep her unrevealed, but it will leave targets for members that people think are deadpool or from sentinel. I love the idea of Dr. Doom. It is very well thought out and should add a lot of fun.

10. NAVIDAD PIRATE

NAVIDAD PIRATE Tasty!

PO Trainer Name:
    MeowMix
    The Doom team is superb. Still not completely sold on the sentinel force, but I'd like to see it in action anyway.

11. GreenWater10

GreenWater10 GreenWater10

There's a role named Dark Phoenix in this theme, and your name is Dark Phoenix. Did you base your name off of this idea or a character off a movie? (I don't know a lot about Marvel and superheros. I'm more of a Pokemon kind of person.) You would make yourself over powered in your own theme, lol.

12. Dark Phoenix

well... My name is KIND of in relation to the character but also on the phoenix mythology around phoenix's. Its weird but an odd story. Either way.

The Phoenix Force is a powerful entity - able to give the host of it an insane amount of power but in the case of the Phoenix Host (Jean Grey) she's unable to control the overbearing power and often loses control - thus she is "Dark Phoenix" - as she is consumed in a hell-bent rage to destroy anything in her way for more power (her being reference to the omniscent phoenix force which lies dormant within her). Regardless I made her stronger because she was outclased. I've not been able to see her in terms of balance but I'm trying to find what's the best way to give her a better shot at winning a game where there is a lot of "checks" to one another.

13. Beast

Beast I do what I want

You should add cyclops and wolverine. Mainly Cyclops because he is awesome. You can have Cyclops on Dark Phoenix's side since he does love her. And if you did decide to put in Wolverine you could make him the only person to be able to kill Dark Pheonix, based this off of x-men 3.

Just some stupid ideas that don't really have any merit behind them. I just like throwing in random characters that I like. :)

14. Dark Phoenix

Well. . here's why THAT wouldn't work @ Cyclops

Cyclops is madly in love with Jean Grey, yes, but he is the undisputed leader of the X-Men and although in the movie he has put that in jeopardy over her I don't think that's enough for him to obviously oppose them.

Solution?: I would have to make Dark Phoenix - Phoenix. On Cyclops' death she would obviously "I CAN'T CONTROL IT" and go bat-shit crazy.
    Problem with this?: This is very reminiscent of Banner -> Hulk and that may seem too repetitive; not to mention IDK what to make Cyclops so.. I'll leave this in the dungeon for now; but I'm willing to let go of a PR or two for the village to make this happen.

Wolverine: I like Wolverine - he was Co-Captain if I'm not mistaken of the X-Men. Thing is - Adding him would be adding another kill, or even 2! At this leisure, I might be removing Strange's ability to kill and probably change his abilities; and I would definitely remove Morph altogether. I do like the idea of having Wolverine so we'll see.