1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I herd u liek scarfs

Discussion in 'Rate My Team' started by The Dark Master, Sep 22, 2012.

Moderators: Edna, fsk
  1. The Dark Master

The Dark Master Member

PO Trainer Name:
    d d
    HELLO TEAMS SECTION OF THE FORUMS!
    I've always hated OU, but I've always loved the thought of one thing: Scarf Serperior. Getting more and more powerful while being near-impossible to outspeed makes it a massive threat to all teams. MoxieMence works in a similar way, being a Physical sweeper.

[​IMG] (F) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Reckless
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Close Combat
    - Brave Bird
    - Double-Edge
    - U-turn

Where to begin? The lead of course. This works simply: U-turn first turn. Get to know the opponents team a bit more. Or, if you think you can get away with it, use a STAB move (Usually I end up Brave Birding everything, but Double-Edge OHKOes Jolteon iirc. GOGO RECKLESS!). They have decent neutral coverage, and, with Close Combat, hit nearly everything at least neutrally (U-turn out of ghosts). The Choice Scarf allows me to outspeed threats like Genesect, and speed tie with opposing MoxieMence.
    EVs are simple (as they are for most of my team), yet effective. As mentioned before, it outspeeds ScarfSect and ties with +1 Salamence (by Scarf or DDance), and max Attack is obvious. For max damage. The remaining 4 EVs could go anywhere; I put them in HP.
    Threats... Landorus-T hurts, as do most things with Intimidate. Faster Scarfers (e.g. Latios) can outspeed and do some damage. Rapetor is also weak to Rocks, which can cause a problem once Starmie is down.
    Not many changes really. All moves have their uses and work well, and same story with EVs.[/HIDE]

Trait: Mold Breaker
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - Aqua Tail
    - SuperPower

Well, where do I start. Most people expect a Choice Band when they see this thing, or at least a DDance set. By the time they work out it's holding a Choice Scarf, it's probably too late. It's funny destroying everything with a 252+ Outrage, and, with Earthquake hitting most Steels (other than Skarm; Bronzong hates Mold Breaker), this thing is a true destroyer. Brick Break hits Ferrothorn for a bit more damage, however, like Aqua Tail, I rarely use it.
    Standard EVs, kinda. I chose Adamant for more damage, whereas most people would go Jolly. However, I saw no purpose in this, as most things that outsped couldn't OHKO me, however HP Ice Rotom-W (the most threatening Scarfer to it that I could outspeed with Jolly) is destroyed by Rage.
    Threats... SCIZOR. Can survive a rage and do it's Bullet Punching stuff. If I'm weakened previously, like by hazards/a fake out, Mamo can shred with Ice Shard. And faster scarfers with an Ice/Dragon move.
    If you think Jolly is better, please say. Suggestions for alternatives to Break/Tail are also helpful. If someone makes Kyurem-B allowable in NP OU, this thing is going.

And I lol'd at this picture of it demolishing a Quagsire, sorry if it's a bit big. I just had to include it somewhere.
    [​IMG][/HIDE][/HIDE]

[​IMG] (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Moxie
    Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
    - Outrage
    - Dragon Claw
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Blast

As mentioned previously, my Physical late-game sweeper. When I'm confident there are no more Steels... OUTRAGE. Moxie+Scarf for massive damage quickly, with no setting up. If I'm not sure about Steels, and want a KO, Dragon Claw is always there. If I think a Steel is about to come in, EQ usually dents it. Fire Blast if for the many, MANY Steels with a 4* weakness, as well as Skarm switch-ins.
    EVs won't be changing much throughout this RMT, sorry bout that. Natures also standard, I don't know why I'm still including the blue bits.
    Red can only mean one thing: fire moves/pokemon the threats. This is also weak to Ice Shard, if it's from Weavile or from Mamoswine. Again, hates Steels if I lock it into Outrage at the wrong time.
    Possible changes: none.[/HIDE]

Trait: Contrary
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Leaf Storm
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Giga Drain

The only reason to put this team into NP OU. I've always loved the idea of something that can wipe out even it's resists. Hell, get this thing to +6 and even Blissey/Chansey are 2HKOed (using 252/4, the most common EV spread for both). And they won't be KOed it any time soon with their offenses either. Seriously, Choice Scarf Contrary Leaf Storm rapes stuff. Nuff said. And, I've even managed to get this description long enough without even mentioning three of my moves, so I don't get how people can do those 1-2 line descriptions the get their threads locked. As I have to mention them anyway (probably), even though they are literally never used, Dragon Pulse has great neutral coverage, hitting the Dragons that resist Leaf Storm for Super-Effective damage. HP Fire gives you coverage on most Steels (if I went HP ground for Tran, I'd have difficulty with both Zong and Skarm). Giga Drain restores HP (that's why it's called Drain).
    I'm not even going to say anything here.
    Again, Mamo weak, hates Ice Prio, hates thing that resists STAB moves etc etc THIS BIT IS ALSO THE SAME EACH TIME.
    I'm in this tier for a reason; this thing is staying. The last moves could be changed however, maybe to something I might actually use.[/HIDE]

[​IMG] @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Natural Cure
    - Trick
    - Rapid Spin
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam

This team had two problems: one, a massive Ice weakness. Two, no spinner. I found myself switching a lot (I have no idea why, maybe something to do with items?) so I got this sexy beast. Trick lets me use Rapid Spin without having to switch immediately after; it also cripples walls and other things that hate scarfs. Hydro Pump for obvious STAB, Ice Beam for coverage (hits like, half the tier super-effectively). Natural Cure lets me absorb status with ease, especially from Toxic Spikes, while my Scarf is to allow me to outspeed the majority of the tier.
    Standard offensive EVs AGAIN, why am I still saying this stuff. Like Serperior, last 4 EVs to mess with Downloaders (Genesect are everywhere).
    Threats, NOT ICE FOR ONCE. Jolteon kinda kills this, as do most fast users of Electric moves.
    If you want to change this, it's either Surf for HPump or TBolt for Ice Beam. Unless you know another Ice-resistant spinner that works well with a Scarf.[/HIDE]

[​IMG] @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Imposter
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
    - Transform

Where do I begin. This thing kills. It gets quite literally every move in the game; even more moves than Smeargle (if the opposing... er... Chatot... in OU... umm.... has Chatter... YOU NEVER KNOW, IT COULD HAPPEN). Anyway, there are some things to remember with using Ditto. Set EVs to 30 Attack/30 Defense/31 everything else. This lets you copy Hidden Power as Ice, one of the most useful types in OU. Don't go for 30 Speed/31 everything else; you don't copy IVs when you turn into the opponent. You don't want to lose a speed tie with MoxieMence, I did a few minutes before starting this RMT after using 30 in speed. I was wondering why I always lost speed ties: I was only told this after it lost me the battle. Next thing, don't forget the ability. A Ditto with Limber and not Imposter loses a lot of its usefulness. Next, DO NOT FORGET TO GIVE IT TRANSFORM. I've done it a couple of times; a 5 man team is nowhere near as useful. It's hard to forget the Choice Scarf, but sometimes people forget you don't copy HP EVs. Max the HP, and other EVs can go anywhere. So, to conclude the longest description of how to use a poke with only 1 move that there's ever been, it's not as simple to make as it looks.
    Now, for it's uses. It's hilarious coming in on DDance Dragonite with no Multiscale (SR from Ditto coming in previously/previous hits), and for me to copy MS, then spam it's own powerful moves on both it and the rest of it's team, only for them to struggle KOing it with my Multiscale. Most boosting sweepers have a hard time, especially ones that don't boost defenses (like CM, Bulk Up and Quiver Dance). Copying Spike users and laying down their hazard is also fun, as is statusing them with their own walls. Can I right more? I can't really remember what I've written, so I'll leave this section at this.
    Yea, time to make this a bit longer. For once, the EVs are different: however, max HP is the only one you need. I use these EVs because I can. No other reason for them. Same with nature; you can't increase HP with it, so leave it. WAIT WHAT. I'm still repeating things, even though I've never had any EVs similar to this on my team. I'm beginning to think why I still actually have this blue bit...
    LONGAH. Threats are Ghosts/Dragons that I can't safely switch in to. Some Status hurts me sometimes, but it's funny getting hit by Toxic, then I switch in on Gliscor/Breloom (not Techniloom, Poison Heal variants) later in the game. I also copy the opponents ability, letting me take advantage of opposing Starmie. So... maybe status isn't a threat then. What is? Other Scarfers (when I lose speed ties), and what really weakens Ditto is that it never copies the HP stat. This makes it weaker than the opponent (unless Shedinja), so it struggles a lot when it fails to OHKO opponents. I can't think of many more threats off the top of my head, but I know there are a couple more.
    Finally, after this massively long description about something with only a maximum of 252 EVs and one move that it never actually gets to use, we get to the changes. What CAN be changed without replacing it (something which I don't really want to do)? Maybe HP Fire? I think I'm going to have to end this massively long description with a shorter paragraph, but it has been fun writing it. Sorry I couldn't right more for you Ditto ;_;[/HIDE]

I have two massive weaknesses that really aren't hard to spot:
    Trick Room. None of the teams I make can beat this. And when I try making my own team, it always fails.
    ICE. Yea, 4 weaknesses = not good. Any suggestions to change some things around? I like Staraptor, it's amazing. Serperior, same thing. It's what I started with. Haxorus: An amazing dragon, but my be one of the first to go. MoxieMence is also not going. So, please suggest an alternative to Hax. While Dragons are amazing with their few resists, Ice really kills this team. Maybe a Fire type? Something that helps with both Ice and Steels, both of which are threats to this team would be good, however it must be holding a Choice Scarf.

Here's the importable, which I have to put on for the thieves that like nicking teams (or people testing to improve it):

Starapetor (Staraptor) (F) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Reckless
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Close Combat
    - Brave Bird
    - Double-Edge
    - U-turn

Hax 'r' us (Haxorus) (F) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Mold Breaker
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - Aqua Tail
    - SuperPower

Saladmence (Salamence) (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Moxie
    Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
    - Outrage
    - Dragon Claw
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Blast

Derperior (Serperior) (F) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Contrary
    - Leaf Storm
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Giga Drain

Star me (Starmie) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Natural Cure
    - Trick
    - Rapid Spin
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam

Cheap (Ditto) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Imposter
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
    - Transform[/HIDE]

And one last thing, sorry about the nicknames. I suck at naming stuff. Salamence's name is... um... yea, that's how limited my imagination goes.

One other last thing, if you think you're good, make your own Scarfed team. If someone better than me does it, it could potentially get quite high. Doesn't have to be NP, but I did for Serp.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  2. two sides of one coin

two sides of one coin sick of all her shit

Hello, Sexi here.
    This is a nice team you've go here; hower, as you mentioned, it's very weak to Trick Room/Ice/Scizor/Mamoswne.
    A Pokémon that can fix all these problems and more, by adding Stealth Rocks, is Heatran.
    I suggest an EV spread of 252 SAtk/228 HP/24 Speed, to outspeed random shit lke 8 Speed Scizor. It's also a nice pivot, seeing as your whole team is Scarved.
    Hope I helped, good luck!

3. The Dark Master

The Dark Master Member

PO Trainer Name:
    d d
    The whole idea of this team is to have a team of all the same item. I agree that adding a Tran could be useful, but how effective is it with a scarf? I've never tried personally. And usually, Ditto gets SR up. Cuz it can do everything. However, while I agree with the idea of Heatran, how effective is it against Mamo? It now takes Fire type moves neutrally, and can easily OHKO with EQ.

4. fitzy

fitzy Heart of the cards Forum Moderator Forum Moderator

I don't play no preview OU to make a worthwhile rate but I would suggest Superpower over Brick Break on haxorus. The power difference especially on a scarf set where you need the extra strength is huge and it lets you get past ferrothorn more often.

5. DSM01

DSM01 Jammin' out

How could you make a scarf team and not include Genesect?! I would recommend replacing Haxorus with Genesect, which will give you more momentum and another Ice resistance. Be sure to use a Rash or Mild nature for more power since Genesect doesn't outspeed anything notable with a +Speed nature.

6. Xclus|Mewmewzapdos

Xclus|Mewmewzapdos Retreated to Showdown ^^

Scarf latios outspeed all your Pokemon except starmie which cant ohko it with ice beam, not to mention all of your Pokemon can be ohko or 2hko by d-pulse and all Ohkoed by meteor. Ditto can only get a speed tie with it which is rather unreliable, well scizor is your friend here, replace haxorus with scarf scizor, it can come in, tank the attack(unless your scizor had been revealed or he is some hacker/psychic, there are no reasons for him to use hp fire), then ko it with pursuit/u-turn(only adamant ones ohko), also I also suggest a scarf espeon because it is just damn useful to reflects off rocks since there are no team preview in NP OU(again unless he is a psychic)
    Espeon @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Magic Bounce
    Evs: 252 spA / 252 spd / 4 HP
    Timid Nature
    - Hidden Power Fire/Ice
    - Psychic/shock
    - Grass Knot
    - Trick/ Baton Pass/ Shadow Ball
    Hidden powers depend on what you want to hit, psychic or psyshock is your choice too. Grass knot hit bulky waters like dealing 60% to Bulky toads. Trick cripples walls, baton pass allows you to scout and bypass t-tar pursuits. Shadow ball hit other psychics like [email protected] Suprisingly espeon is another good 110 scarfer that can revenge neutral nature kingdra/ venusaur, etc in rain and sun respectively.
    Hope I helped
    -

7. The Dark Master

The Dark Master Member

PO Trainer Name:
    d d
    One thing I really do not like is having to choose. Why use Scizor over Genesect? For Scarfed Priority? But more power.... and no Download. Espeon is a nice idea, however Ditto can do virtually the same thing with rocks, just setting them up rather than reflecting them. But the reflecting other things... however, it doesn't resist Dragon. I'd put it between the two Bug/Steels; Download and amazing coverage or Priority and reliable power? I'm saying Scizor atm, however I just don't like the idea of scarfing it... anyone help me decide please? Because I just never can.

8. T.P. Sun

T.P. Sun New Member

i'd say this party can be really fun using. but what i always say is use uturn/volt switch in offensive team. although skarf stops it from being used :(

a porygon2 with boltbeam/twave can destroy the whole party as well as bulky lanturn. slacking slowbro with rocky helmet, umbreon, cofagrigus can set up in front of u.

dual screen or srock/pursuit ttar can do wonders if starmie is the spinner.

9. Altaria

Altaria (':

^ lmfao.

Although I don't play OU/DW OU much, I feel that you need a Dragon-resist, especially Scarfed ones since Ditto would just speed-tie with them. Genesect would give you not only an Ice resistance, but also a Dragon resistance. Other commonly Scarfed Steels should work too. Or perhaps a Fighting-type with no EQ weakness can help in Combating Mamowsine. (see what I did there)

10. Xclus|Mewmewzapdos

Scizor have a dragon-resist and NO EQ WEAKNESS AND A MAMOSWINE COUNTER.

11. The Dark Master

The Dark Master Member

PO Trainer Name:
    d d
    Does
    Scizor (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 164 SDef / 80 Spd
    - U-turn
    - Bug Bite
    - Bullet Punch
    - Superpower[/HIDE]
    sound good? EVs outspeed 252+ Heatran, max Attack, mess with Download, and rest in HP for a little bulk. It's over Hax. Moves are also simple; U-Turn for scouting, Bug Bite for Damage, Bullet Punch for other STAB and prio (you never know when you could need it) and Superpower is there for what I'm EVed to outspeed: Tran. I will update the main section if I find it good enough; if not I'll try changing back.

12. Xclus|Mewmewzapdos

The problem about that set is that U ONLY OUTSPEED 77 or lower with positive nature Pokemon, then what the point of having a scarf? Just do max max lol, it allows you to OUTSPEED latitwins, change bullet punch to iron head if you like for the sexy flinch rate. I had ran scarf scizors before, note that u-turn only serverely damage latitwins, but bug bite Ohko them unless they run some bulk.

13. two sides of one coin

two sides of one coin sick of all her shit

Latios would never really run any bulk, unless it's the CM tank :/

Moderators: Edna, fsk