1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Final] Raticate

Discussion in 'Gen 5 NU Analyses' started by Spoovo The Pirate, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Spoovo The Pirate

Spoovo The Pirate Meep! Article Contributor Article Contributor

updated

{{Header}}

{{Tier|BW2 NU}}

{{Overview|Poor Raticate has always been one of those pokemon doomed to obscurity. Since its inception back in RBY, basically no one has given it attention, instead favouring its overrated yellow nemesis, Pikachu. It's not too hard to see why, with only a decent base 97 Speed breaking the boundaries of 'mediocre'. An Average base 81 Attack, almost non existent bulk, and a pathetic base 50 Special Attack that makes no use of its annoyingly good special movepool. However, Raticate has one trick up its sleeve that has saved it from being a complete laughing stock like Luvdisc; Guts.

That's right. Any attempts to poison this common rodent or kill it with burning flames will be met with an unfathomable rabid vengeance, boosting its Attack from a modest base 81 to one comparable to Terrakion or Machamp, which can tear through unprepared teams in a heartbeat. While Swellow gives it sore competition for the role, being slightly more powerful and significantly faster, Raticate's superior movepool gives it a slight niche over its bird rival. Raticate may be forgotten, but it is also terribly underrated, and more than able to sweep when given half a chance.}}

{{Set|Guts Abuser|
    Raticate @ Flame Orb / Toxic Orb
    Trait: Guts
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Facade
    - Sucker Punch / Crunch
    - Reversal / Flame Wheel
    - Protect / U-turn}}

{{Comments|Raticate's famed Gen IV set makes a welcome reappearance in Gen V, with basically no differences. An absurdly powerful Facade takes full advantage of Guts, turning Raticate from an everyday rodent into an effective late game cleaner. Sucker Punch is the primary move in slot two, to revenge kill faster threats such as Kadabra, Persian, or anything with a Choice Scarf. However, due to Sucker Punch's unreliability, Crunch is also perfectly viable in this shot, to catch wayward Ghosts off guard, and stop Eviolite Misdreavus setting up on you.

Slot three yields Reversal and Flame Wheel, both with separate purposes. Reversal hits the Steel- and Rock-types that halt Facade's Progress, and becomes severely powerful once residual damage has built up from the battle's progression. However, as Raticate needs to be in low health for Reversal to be worth using, you'll only get two turns at maximum before Raticate faints. Reversal's unreliability is why Flame Wheel is listed. Much less powerful on average, but it still hits Steel-types for Super Effective damage, scoring 2HKOes on many, and provides consistent damage regardless of Raticate's current HP with the added bonus of a 30% burn rate, which reduces pressure on the poor overburdened rodent.

In slot 4, you have the choices of Protect and U-Turn. Protect guarantees the activation of your status orb, and is generally the safer option, but U-Turn scouts for switch ins, and is good for finding safe places for Raticate to easily switch in. You may need to consider Rapid Spin support however, as Raticate doesn't last long, and entry hazards are only going to speed up its demise. Item choice is by far the biggest dilemma on this set. The Flame Orb offers a consistent 12% HP loss per turn, but the Toxic Orb deals less damage over the first two turns, adding to Raticate's longevity if you plan to switch often.}}

{{Set|Hustle|
    Raticate @ Choice Band / Life Orb
    Trait: Hustle
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Return / Double-Edge
    - Sucker Punch / Crunch
    - U-turn
    - Wild Charge / Quick Attack}}

{{Comments|Although unorthodox, Hustle Raticate is a deadly surprise, hitting for the power of the Guts variant without the need to wait a turn and activate a status orb. Despite suffering the loss of a 140 base power Facade (before STAB), Return's amicable base 102 power still deals some heavy damage, whilst the more dangerous Double-Edge hits a fair amount harder, but Raticate suffers every time it's used, having to endure harsh recoil.

The second slot yields Raticate's usual options against Ghost types; Sucker Punch and Crunch. Crunch is the more reliable option, hitting opponents for certain damage and stopping the dreaded Misdreavus from evading your attacks, and you might even escape without getting burned if Misdreavus thinks you're using a Guts variant. However, Sucker Punch has that desired priority that is almost obligatory on offensive sets, to pick off faster threats. If the opponent doesn't attack though, Sucker Punch won't connect, and this is very easy to take advantage of, especially if Raticate is choice locked.

U-Turn is practically needed on this set, as Raticate will usually be holding a choice item, and would rather scout before attacking, so to avoid getting locked into one move at a bad time. It also deals some pretty serious damage to quite a lot of the NU tier, cleanly OHKOing any Exeggutor or Cacturne in the vicinity and taking large chunks out of Musharna, Sawsbuck, Zweilous and similar. In the fourth and final slot, Wild Charge sees the most use, hitting bulky Water-types such as Mantine, Lapras or Wartortle for serious damage, and Quick Attack is simply a less powerful, but far more reliable form of priority, easily picking off fast and frail threats that Raticate may face. It works best with Crunch, but dual priority in both Sucker Punch and Quick Attack is not unheard of.

The choice of hold item is rather a big one. The Choice Band lets Raticate break through walls with relative ease, while Life Orb offers a good balance of power and versatility at the cost of some HP. Lastly, the Choice Scarf may be unlisted, but is still perfectly viable here for a speedy revenge killer that still packs a punch.}}

{{Options|Umm... not a lot. Swords Dance can be used on either set, as that will boost Raticate's Attack stat to heroic levels once all the boosts have accrued, and Sucker Punch can pick off Choice Scarf users that don't resist the move. Note that Hustle Raticate wants Life Orb as its hold item, should it forgo an attack for Swords Dance.

Speaking of which, Choice items, the Life Orb or even the Leftovers can be used as alternate hold items on the Guts set, hoping against hope that you can switch in on a Will-o-Wisp or Toxic and take advantage of it. A Choice Band, Guts boosted Facade will 2HKO basically everything that isn't either extremely bulky or a Ghost type. However, inability to switch will make things hard on Guts Raticate.

Zen Headbutt's available for specific targets, like Weezing and other Poison-types, as well as Fighting-types that lack Mach Punch, however be aware that a Guts boosted Facade hits harder than a super effective Zen Headbutt. Lastly, Raticate also has access to Taunt, Toxic and Thunder Wave, but has little use for any of them, being extremely frail. There's a decent Special movepool, consisting of Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Shadow Ball and Grass Knot, but a base 50 Special Attack won't be breaking through anything any time soon.}}

{{Checks|Not many things can take two of Raticate's Facades and live to tell the tale, but those that do will instantly threaten. Bulky Steel- and Rock-types are your best bet. Regirock, Golem, Lairon, Bastiodon and Probopass are all surefire counters as long as they can avoid a low HP Reversal. Regirock doesn't even fear those unless they've been boosted by a Swords Dance. Golem can take a Facade with no problems, and Sucker Punch its way through Raticate, unless Raticate gets smart and throws a Sucker Punch of its own, which will nullify Golem's.

If niche rival Swellow can avoid a Sucker Punch, it can also power through Raticate with little problem by simply abusing the same strategy. Quick Attack is good for helping Swellow avoid that Sucker Punch if needed.

Extremely physically bulky pokemon such as Tangela and Alomomola can survive two Facades and stall Raticate out with the combinations of Giga Drain and Regenerator or Wish and Protect, respectively. Weezing has a good chance of surviving two Facades, but a good chance isn't a guarantee, and thus Weezing is a strong check, not a counter.

If Raticate lacks Crunch, which is common, Eviolite Misdreavus stops it cold, with Substitute to evade Sucker Punches and Calm Mind to stall out the PP before OHKOing with a powerful Hidden Power Fighting. U-Turn won't break the Subsitute, and Raticate's other coverage moves are also decidedly rare.

Anything with a powerful priority move will make short work of Raticate, as long as you don't have to rely on Sucker Punch, because Raticate can simply stop those from working with a Sucker Punch of his own. As faster Sucker Punches simply don't exist in NU, a more reliable priority move is likely warranted, such as Gurdurr's Mach Punch, which will punch holes in any Raticate brave enough to stay in.

If you don't have a bulky Rock-, Steel- or Ghost-type at your disposal, it sounds like you need a new team, but Raticate can be played around by stalling it out of HP and pivoting to things that resist its moves. However, this is extremely risky, as Raticate's Facade packs one hell of a punch, and will likely mow through half of your team before it succumbs to its self inflicted status, opening up a huge hole in the team for a finishing sweeper to exploit. This is a bad idea.}}

{{footer}}

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  2. Luck>Skill

Luck>Skill Well-Known Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Luck>Skill
    Hustle set with CB is missing

3. Spoovo The Pirate

I mentioned that in OO cause it's just too high risk to be effective. Durant and Zweilous get away with it cause they've got some bulk to fall back on if they miss, but Raticate dies if you look at it wrong. xD

Though if enough people think it's worth it I can add it?

4. emac

emac Emad

Hustle set is awesome. Definitely needs a write up.

5. Spoovo The Pirate

Okeydokey then, I'll get it written. Just surprised it's this popular when there's better hustle users in NU (Zweilous, for example). Though Raticate does have a shitload more speed to his advantage...

6. Darklight

Darklight Nothing is True

Raticate is definately a far better pokemon for Hustle because of it's far better speed and 2 Priority moves.

7. Spoovo The Pirate

Added a Hustle set to the thread. Did I miss anything? Or talk too much? xD

8. Luck>Skill

Luck>Skill Well-Known Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Luck>Skill
    Imo your set comments are a bit too long, can you shorten them? They should be quick to read for the users reading the analyses

9. Spoovo The Pirate

Lol, sure thing. I'm just one for talking about things. I'll give that a go when GPX slows down. :D

10. Dzi

Dzi So Nyuh Shi Dae

Add Weezing in CC. Then, add Zen Headbutt in OO. Also mention Raticate learning Taunt, T-wave and Toxic. It can run a gimmicky special set with Thunder, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Blizzard, Shadow Ball and Grass Knot but its Sp Atk is a huge let down.

11. Spoovo The Pirate

I wouldn't say the Special Attack stat is viable at all, cause it breaks through physical walls better with its abilities anyways. But the rest is legit.

12. Incon

Incon I feel incapable of seeing the end.

In Checks and Counters, i would mention Physically bulky mons like Tangela and Alomomola who are only 3hko'd by both sets and can switch in and stall Raticate out. I also agree with Dzi's suggestion of mentioning Taunt, T-wave, and Toxic, but i disagree with the special set strongly. Also, in the Guts description you mention Wild Charge... remove that as Wild Charge isnt in the set.

Other than that it looks good.

Approved.

13. Spoovo The Pirate

Ahh yeah, I removed a bunch of things... yesterday, I think, because Luck basically said that I talk too much (xD), and I must've missed removing that. I'll get onto it.

14. Dzi

Dzi So Nyuh Shi Dae

I mean, mention the special moves it can learn on the Other Options..

Anyways, Approved.

15. Spoovo The Pirate

I've added Weezing, but as a check, not a counter. He stands a chance of being 2HKOed by a boosted Facade (47% - 55%), which stops him being a counter.

16. The Real Elmo

The Real Elmo Caterpie hungers...

Amazing job you guys. I have no comments
    Approved

17. Spoovo The Pirate

Thanks Elmo. I'll get this wikified in the near future. :3