1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[BW2 LU] 5 Guys and a Sigilyph?

Discussion in 'Rate My Team' started by Morning Sun, Oct 7, 2012.

Moderators: Edna, fsk
  1. Morning Sun

Morning Sun Soul Song

PO Trainer Name:
    Morning Sun
    (14:38:19) ±Porygon: Your rank in Wifi LU is 19/11786 [1322 points / 56 battles]!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

So I had this idea for a team, and basically the idea was to have three Pokemon utilizing one of each of the three choice items, along with a setup sweeper and 2 support Pokemon. I ended up with a fairly successful balanced offense team, and discovering a very useful Sigilyph set in the process.

[​IMG]

Sigilyph (M) @ Flame Orb
    Trait: Magic Guard
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Psychic
    - Air Slash
    - Roost
    - Calm Mind

Ah, what an awesome set. This takes the lead position simply because it was the last Pokemon on the team. CM Sigilyph is a potent special sweeper, and is pretty underused to begin with; when people do run it though, Life Orb is generally the preferred item due to the lovely boost in power. However, after a bit of testing and frustration a la double powder Amoonguss and friends, I figured I'd give flame orb a shot to prevent status from being a nuisance. And I never looked back. Again, the flame orb is helpful for avoiding status and is its primary purpose, but perhaps the even bigger draw is allowing Sigilyph to act as a lure for things like Nidoqueen to stay in on Sigilyph expecting the standard Cosmic Power / Psycho Shift / Stored Power Sigilyph which offensive Nidoqueen can more or less handle. Doesn't get very many opportunities to outright sweep I've noticed, but it's almost always very useful. Works well with Lanturn also. EVs are self explanitory.

[​IMG]

Primeape (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Vital Spirit
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge
    - U-turn
    - Punishment

The first of my trio of choice abusers, Scarf Primape is one of the best revenge killers in the LU metagame with good reason. Fantastic base 95 speed coupled with a very powerful STAB Close Combat and access to U-turn to keep up momentum on my side of the field make Primape one of the most crucial members of the team. Its speed tier allows it to outspeed and KO even Timid Omastar after a Shell Smash, which can otherwise cause some trouble if Lanturn has taken damage prior. Punishment is a very situational but also very helpful move to have against Calm Minders and stuff, and Stone Edge for Flying types. Vital Spirit is also very helpful, as I can switch directly into Lilligant's Sleep Powder and proceed to either U-Turn out or assault it directly with Close Combat.

[​IMG]

Lan Switch (Lanturn) (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Volt Absorb
    EVs: 40 HP / 56 Def / 196 SAtk / 216 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Volt Switch
    - Ice Beam
    - Scald
    - Heal Bell

I can never decide on an EV spread for Lanturn. So I decided to deviate from the standard 20 hp / 252 def / 216 spdef, and opted for a more offensively incline spread, considering one of Lanturn's big draws is its coverage. Lanturn completes the Volt Turn combo along with Primape, while also being able to spread burns, heal status, and more importantly wall a ton of special attackers, such as Magmortar. Heal Bell may seem redundant with Flame Orb on Sigilyph but it's very useful in case for instance Primape gets paralyzed. Aside from that, what else is Lanturn really going to run?

[​IMG]

Sceptile (F) @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Overgrow
    EVs: 32 HP / 252 SAtk / 224 Spd
    - Giga Drain
    - Focus Blast
    - Leaf Storm
    - Hidden Power [Rock]

POWER. Sceptile is one of the premier offensive Pokemon in LU, and its Choice Specs set is perhaps the most destructive of all, with Leaf Storm demolishing pretty much anything not packing a resistance or outright immunity. Hell, offensive Nidoqueen gets OHKOd by Leaf Storm, no questions asked. Focus Blast is for coverage, and Giga Drain allows Sceptile to regain HP should it be required, and also provides a more accurate and spammable alternative to Leaf Storm. Hidden Power Rock is mostly used to OHKO things like Moltres and Scyther, but I honestly have not gotten very much use out of it. Hidden Power Ice or Fire would be preferable to handle Grass pokes and Escavalier, as both Regirock and Lanturn handle Moltres with ease, and Scyther stands no chance against Regi. EVs are there to outspeed Jolly Cinccino as I find maxing out speed to tie other Sceptile rather silly. Should Sceptile manage to get into the Overgrow range, Leaf Storm does incredible damage. Fantastic attacker.

[​IMG]

Escavalier (F) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Swarm
    EVs: 200 HP / 224 Atk / 84 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Megahorn
    - Iron Head
    - X-Scissor
    - Pursuit

Yes, those are 84 speed EVS. It used to be for Amoongus before it got the boot, but now that that's gone I still keep the EVs there on the off chance staying in against Slowking is my best option. One could easily forgo them for a bulkier 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd spread. That aside, more POWER here. Megahorn = Death, and Pursuit's helpfulness cannot be overstated. I run X-Scissor over say Return because Return kinda sucks ass, and there are times where Megahorn's shaky accuracy is not appealing. This is also my best answer to Unburden Hitmonlee lacking Blaze Kick, because it can tank at least one HJK / Close Combat and OHKO back with an Iron Head.

[​IMG]

Regirock @ Leftovers
    Trait: Clear Body
    EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 SDef
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Stone Edge
    - Earthquake
    - Stealth Rock
    - Thunder Wave

Ladies and gentleman please put your hands together for the bulkiest thing on the planet: specially defensive Regirock! After glancing over my team I noticed a massive Entei weakness and no Stealth Rock. So after scouring LU and NU for something that would work, I found a diamond in the rough: Sporting the best Physical bulk in the entire game, Regirock is able to giggle at banded Flare Blitzes even with minimal investment, and Hidden Power Grasses alike. Although I already had a special tank in Lanturn, with only 32 EVs, Regirock hits an outstanding 444 Defense stat, meaning there was really no reason to not go specially defensive. And Regirock's respectable base 100 SpDef stat allow it to act as a tremendously bulky mixed wall that can spread Paralysis, wall things like Moltres cold and dish out some damage with its nice base 100 attack stat. Definitely the glue of the team, and a very very useful addition, every time. Free Regirock!!!

Threats: UNBURDEN HITMONLEE AHHHH

Everything dies (if it has Blaze Kick and Stone Edge as its coverage moves). Nuff said.

Ludicolo in rain is tough to deal with as well, but it's not TOO difficult to play around.

Hazards also pose a big threat, as should my opponent manage to to spike stack sucessfully, it becomes much easier to dismantle my offense.

Thanks for reading, importable below.​

Sigilyph (M) @ Flame Orb
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    - Psychic
    - Air Slash
    - Roost
    - Calm Mind

Primeape (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Vital Spirit
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge
    - U-turn
    - Punishment

Lan Switch (Lanturn) (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Volt Absorb
    EVs: 40 HP / 56 Def / 196 SAtk / 216 SDef
    - Volt Switch
    - Ice Beam
    - Scald
    - Heal Bell

Sceptile (F) @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Overgrow
    EVs: 32 HP / 252 SAtk / 224 Spd
    - Giga Drain
    - Focus Blast
    - Leaf Storm
    - Hidden Power [Rock]

Escavalier (F) @ Choice Band
    EVs: 200 HP / 224 Atk / 84 Spd
    - Megahorn
    - Iron Head
    - X-Scissor
    - Pursuit

Regirock @ Leftovers
    Trait: Clear Body
    EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 SDef
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Stone Edge
    - Earthquake
    - Stealth Rock
    - Thunder Wave

2. Emperor PPP

Emperor PPP PKMNPurePower

Js Regirock can tank EQs from UnburdenLee for days

I know the purpose of the team is to use all choice items, but honestly non-choiced Escav is better
    Escavalier (F) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spd
    - Protect
    - Megahorn
    - Iron Head
    - Pursuit[/HIDE]

You have trouble breaking down the regen core if backed up by Escavalier, although uncommon, it is a brilliant defensive core

Personally I would replace Sceptile for specs Tangrowth (But it's probably just me and bulky offense <3) and run Leaf storm/Focus Blast/Ancientpower (For Tres)/HP [Fire]

That pretty much serves the same purpose as your Sceptile but seals with the core

Specs Tangrowth EVs are something like 144 Spd, they're on Smogon

(Although looking back Lanturn can damage the core, but it would hate coming in on a megahorn or leaf storm or grass knot every time one of the three comes out, back up is nice)

Nice team

3. The Dark Master

The Dark Master Member

PO Trainer Name:
    d d
    Make a 5-man LU team and then throw Sigilyph in.... STOP STEALING MY TEAMBUILDING IDEAS.

I use a slightly different set, that balances both offense and defense:
    Sigilyph (M) @ Life Orb
    EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 SDef
    - Cosmic Power
    - Roost
    - Charge Beam
    - Stored Power[/HIDE]

The basic defensive one... with Charge Beam and a LO. Save it until last to avoid phazing, and it can shred stuff.

Good team otherwise with not many improvements, unless you want to change the 3 Choice items. Sceptile also has two other good offensive sets, both with Unburden. One is White Herb Leaf Storm, then Giga Drain and some other moves; I've never used it before but it's a pain to deal with. The other is a Physical SD Acrobat with Flying Gem, and also shreds Hitmonlee.

4. Dr. Fomantis Toboggan

Dr. Fomantis Toboggan man in the couch

On Siggy, your set doesn't get much coverage. The only ones I'd go for would be Air Slash+Hidden Power Ground or I guess Psyshcock+Heat Wave. On Escav Return is very helpful for Moltres, X-Scissor isn't really worth it. I think Life Orb Sceptile might be more helpful than Specstile, just because it's only slightly weaker, Giga Drain for recovery and the lesser need for prediction is very helpful. Nidoqueen seems like a huge threat to you team, if it uses Sludge Wave which it most likely will you won't be able to switch in.

5. Tyki

Tyki Change

PO Trainer Name:
    Tyki
    Great team. Only think I'd say is Protect instead of Ice Beam on Lanturn for scouting and leftovers recovery. It also makes Hitmonlee hit itself with HJK :3 If you really want Ice Beam, I'd put it on Sigilyph.

Oh, and Frustration Escav. It needs Frustration.

6. New Breed

New Breed ka$h

100% agree with Mfhoundoom, please don't ever run Air Slash + Psychic on Sigilyph, Hp Ground is a much better option which provides alot more coverage.

EDIT: 100 Posts, TEAM WE GOT THIS!

7. Morning Sun

Morning Sun Soul Song

PO Trainer Name:
    Morning Sun
    Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Tried out Specs Tangrowth for a bit but wasn't really too impressed (I actually love the set in itself though), the pressure Sceptile's speed puts on other pokes is nice and I rather enjoy OHKOing plebby offensive Nidoqueens without being forced out. Secondly, in response to mfhoundoom, Nidoqueen actually isn't all that problematic. Bulkier variants don't have the power to cause too many issues while offensive variants lose if I manage to switch Sigi or Sceptile in on an Earth Power. Also both Regirock and Lanturn can take a Super Effective hit and hurt it back with one of their own, and I can play around that.

As for HP Ground > Air Slash, I'll have to test it out but Air Slash seems more practical simply for the power. The coverage is pretty meh I'm well aware, but there have been plenty of scenarios where knocking just that extra 20% off Uxie or something like that helps loads. Will definitely give HP Ground a shot though.

Protect > Ice Beam actually sounds really cool, as I'm usually Volt Switching out of things like Tangrowth anyway. And I almost am inclined to feel like Return is more useful on paper than in practice; I find having the ability to hit things like Moltres much less comforting than having that 100% accurate crutch in a pinch. But I'll run it again for a while whilst testing changes anyway.

8. Dr. Fomantis Toboggan

No you'd want to replace Psychic with HP Ground not Air Slash with HP Ground. Yes Air Slash is helpful but Psychic is not. If you're going with a Psychic move, go Psyshock+Heat Wave. Oh and I don't know what status user you're worried about, you only mention Amoonguss. He's banned though and is owned by Air Slash anyway. The same is true for Tangrowth and company. I suppose T-Wave Uxie is annoying but you've got that shut down with Escav. LO is very helpful.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  9. New Breed

New Breed ka$h

Yes Hp Ground > Psychic or even Heat Wave is Escavalier is that problematic.

10. Dr. Fomantis Toboggan

Yeah, maybe in your Scenario, you'd use Psyshock+Heat Wave. It's not the optimal set, but you have no Escavalier counter. I'd get that sorted out though.

Moderators: Edna, fsk