1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official PO Fantasy Basketball League

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Oh So Shoddy, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Oh So Shoddy

Oh So Shoddy Devil's Advocate

[​IMG]
    So those of you who keep up with the NBA will know that the season is just around the corner. And that means it's time for Fantasy Basketball! Summer Camps have long since ended and the preseason is on the way, so now all that's left is to start recruiting dedicated players to fill the league.

Note that I said dedicated players

[​IMG]

The league will be done on ESPN so all selected users will need an ESPN account. The league itself will have a chat board but we're most likely going to be communicating through the forums and Skype (for real time chats). This isn't a requirement by any means. It's just useful. I'm looking for about 16-20 teams and as stated before - I don't think this can be stressed enough - I want only the most dedicated players. So, in order to make the selection process easier I'd like for each interested user to include their

• favorite team/s and why

• favorite player/s and why

• storyline that you look forward to the most this season

• an idea of how much time you devote to following basketball in general

• whether or not you've done fantasy basketball before, and if yes how many seasons as well finishing positions and records

These may seem like silly areas to base qualifications on. But any real sports fan will know that these alone are enough to gauge the level of interest we can expect throughout the season. I don't want people that watch only the finals so they can know who won. I want... you guessed it, dedicated players.

I expect the level of competition to be high all throughout the season. So if you're the kind that will get discouraged because of a bad start and quit, then just move along.

So let's see just how much interest will be generated. Feel free to post any questions you may have regarding the league in general. Keep in mind that you don't have to have played fantasy before. If I can see that you're - what was that word - dedicated, then that may be enough to secure a spot.

I suppose I should have also have mentioned that the current set draft date is Sunday, October 28 at 5PM EST. Of course this is subject to change to suit as many of us as possible. Chances are it won't be any later than that though. The league starts on Tuesday, October 30.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  2. Treecko

Treecko I'm a joker,

Sign me up.

My favorite team is Boston, because they're the best. Great core of youth and veterans, great coach, and they always play with class and to win.

KG because he's a winner.

I'm looking forward to the twolves finally making the playoffs.

Maybe a couple hours a week. edit: thought it said fantasy basketball, not basketball in general. Its more like 7-8 hours, sometimes more.

I played the last two seasons, and got screwed in the finals both years.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  3. Hamek

Hamek New Member

This whole thing was pretty much my idea, but I'll make this post anyway.

favorite team/s and why: Chicago Bulls, because I used to live in Chicago so when I started liking basketball, they seemed like the go to team (I can't stand philly teams and live in south jersey), also play great defense.

2nd favorite: Miami Heat, though I guess I shouldn't really like them, I listen to a radio show based in Miami (the Dan Le Batard show), so i know a lot about them. I also want to root for Lebron James, because I laugh at the criticism he got for raising money for charity (the decision).

Crappy team I like: Bobcats: I think Richard Cho will do a great job rebuilding this team, I like MKG, I think they'll an interesting team to watch.

Team I don't like: (I'm adding this) Thunder, I can't root for a team that was stolen from a dedicated fan base. I don't understand how they escape criticism, I guess the average person is too busy saying stupid things like "Lebron's not clutch, the heat can't win!!!!!!!" that they're regurgitating from ESPN.

favorite player/s and why: (Irrationally):Bismack Biyombo, Jimmy Butler
    (rationally): Rose, Lebron James, Joakim Noah, Royce White (perhaps to the point of irrationality)

Least favorite players and why (yeah I'm adding this too): Kevin Garnett (fake tough guy), Kobe Bryant (inefficient chucker) Carmelo Anthony (ball stopper and doesn't try on defense), Dwight Howard (irrationally, I wouldn't care about him holding the magic hostage if the bulls got him, so I'm not sure if he actually counts) Blake Griffin (SUPER FLOPS AND OFFENSIVE FOULS ON HIS DUNKS), Chris Paul (height complex, flopper)

Storyline that you look forward to the most this season: How the seemingly crazy roster in Houston plays out, how Royce White does (I'm really rooting for this kid), to see how Thibodeau's defense changes with Asik out, and see how the Bulls play in general without rose and the new bench mob.

an idea of how much time you devote to following basketball in general: I know more than anyone else here, so a good amount? I'll be looking forward to watching more games this year, but yeah, I'll be active.

whether or not you've done fantasy basketball before, and if yes how many seasons as well finishing positions and records: NOPE NONE NEVER.

Heat in 6 over the lakers is my prediction for the playoffs, by the way. (also this post IS SO LONG)

4. Turtwig A

Turtwig A New Member

•favorite team/s and why-Philadelphia 76ers, I'm a Philly native. Nuggets since Iguodala now plays there, and kind of a Cavaliers fan because of where I live now.
    •favorite player/s and why-Brian Scalabrine (even though he doesn't play anymore) because he's the best ever, Iguodala because every game I've watched with him is pretty entertaining, Kyire Irving because he's Kyrie Irving.
    •storyline that you look forward to the most this season-The Dwight Howard complex. Sure, the Lakers have Dwight Howard, but that's not where it stops. The 76ers have Andrew Bynum and the Nuggets have Iguodala. In addition, the Magic have officially started rebuilding. I'm looking to see how the Magic do in their first rebuilding season, how the 76ers do with a franchise center, and how Iguodala works with Coach Karl in Denver. In addition, the basically patched together team that is the Houston Rockets.
    •an idea of how much time you devote to following basketball in general-I devote at least an hour a day at shooting hoops then for following basketball, I watch all 76ers games (starting with last season since that's when I started following the NBA)
    •whether or not you've done fantasy basketball before, and if yes how many seasons as well finishing positions and records
    -No

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  5. Parpar

Parpar Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Parpar
    In.

Favorite team: Magics, don't ask.
    Favorite Player: Dwright Howard, because he's a A++ even though he pulled a lebron
    Storyline you're looking forward to: I don't know??? the big 3 showdown with lakers and heat?
    How much you're devoted to basketball: I'm black, nuff said.
    Fantasy basketball history: I've done it for 3 years and i have no idea of my records

Skype should have been a requirement. :< [/HIDE]

6. Hamek

Hamek New Member

I'm gonna assume that if we get more than 16 people and some don't have skype, those with skype will get in. Right now it's a bit unsure as to whether we'll get enough.

7. Oh So Shoddy

It won't be a requirement. It's just a convenience factor at this point.

8. NAVIDAD PIRATE

NAVIDAD PIRATE THE PLEASURE OF BEING CUMMED INSIDE

PO Trainer Name:
    MeowMix
    In.

Favourite team: As a New York kid I like the Knicks by default but they haven't really given me much to work with the last few years besides Linsanity and R1 playoff exits. I followed the Spurs a lot in the past couple of year and I've really enjoyed watching them play. I feel like as a unit, Manu/Parker/Duncan is one of the most interesting combinations to watch in all of basketball (when they're all healthy).

Favourite player: Tony Parker. I just like his game, simple as that. Chris Paul clocks in at a close second though, he really turned the Clippers around last season.

Storyline: How Dwight and Nash fit onto the Lakershow. Also Lin on the Rockets and the Heat getting old.

Time question: I read some blogs, watch local or interesting games, and keep up with the headlines.

I've never done fantasy basketball. I didn't do fantasy football before this year either though and I'm bossing through that.

9. Oh So Shoddy

Heat getting old? wat...

I'll have to give this entry some serious thought before I make a decision.

10. Morning Sun

Morning Sun Soul Song

PO Trainer Name:
    Morning Sun
    Lol cool.

Favorite team: Meowmix stop being me. Obligatory Knicks fan but, as much as Melo makes me feel all fuzzy inside when he's draining those turnaround J's, not impressed, especially with their current lineup. My favorite team to watch would probably be the C's just because I love me some lockdown D, and Rondo is far and away the most entertaining player in the league to watch. Can't wait to see how Lee and Terry fill the void Ray left. I also quite like watching the Spurs operate, Pop's got them working like a machine, it's great. Also Danny Green's jumper <3

Favorite player: Rondo because he is a magician! He runs the point better than anyone in the league at this point, and his jumper's been on point for the most part last season! I also happen to quite like his attitude, very down to Earth. I really like Kevin Durant as well.

Storyline: Lakeshow, isn't everyone?

I catch almost every single Knicks game, and am always hopping on NBA TV to see if a game going on interests me. I also frequent sites like BR and follow some bloggers.

I have never played fantasy, unless 2k counts :x

11. Jtkbasketball

Jtkbasketball New Member

I would like to join

I wanna join.

Favorite team: I like Golden State, OKC, T-Wolves, and Portland... and the Cavs since I'm from Cleveland
    I like them for various reasons, but mostly because I think they are good organizations with good teams in small markets.

Favorite Player: My favorite is Brandon Roy. I don't know how he will do with his comeback, but I have always respected the hell out of his all around game and hard work ethic. Plus he seems like a really good guy off the court.

Storyline: I hate the Lakers, but I think Steve Nash is going to make that team get so many easy shots. Dwight and Kobe are going to think they died and went to heaven (in my opinion).

How much time I spend following: Uh, pretty much a gigantic portion of my life. I play in between 3-7 leagues at a time, and I follow the NBA pretty closely. I would rather watch NBA summer league than a NFL or MLB playoff game.

Fantasy Record: I played once like 6 years ago. I did ok, but there were only 6 teams and weird rules.

12. NAVIDAD PIRATE

NAVIDAD PIRATE THE PLEASURE OF BEING CUMMED INSIDE

PO Trainer Name:
    MeowMix
    lmao fuck you. by the heat I mean wade obviously.

13. viamage

viamage That one guy

Favorite Team: San Antonio, I can't get enough of them, I moved to San Antonio in the summer of '02 when I was 8 and it was the first time I ever saw a real basketball team (That season didn't hurt either) I've been following them didicatadly since

After them Phoenix: my dad's team

then the Thunder cuz I'm a sucker for KD and Westbrook​

Least Favorite team: Dallas, I hate, hate, hate,hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate them don't get me started on the '06 playoffs them vs Spurs

close second is the Heat cuz of Lebron​

9 Favorite players:
    Manu Ginobili: even if he didn't play for SA he would steal my heart
    Tony Parker: ok cuz he's played for SA
    Steve Nash: best PG since Stokton
    Duncan: Very great big man, dominates the game even in his old age (should've retired imo)
    Russel Westbrook: better part of the tandem
    Kevin Durant: Better agent
    Kevin Love: Can't wait to see him finally lead Twolves to playoffs, love his rebounding skills
    Dejaun Blair: Great "small" big man, young and still has miles to go. fantastic potential
    Jeremy Lin: Most respectable player on Kincks roster. love his asian powers

Least favorite players:
    Lebron James: if you really must know pm you're skype or phone cuz I can only rant vocally
    every player on the dallas roster in '06 especially Nowitski: see above

Favorite story: meh don't really have one other than the spurs going to the playoffs and how Nash will help lakers sweep the playoffs

Dedication: to the spurs 100% of my time, to the rest of the leauge: i read the paper and do a little bit more, that's about it

Experience: I did do one leauge taht died off cuz the manager (not me) quit paying attention

14. Oh So Shoddy

Liking the Spurs more than the Suns should be forbidden. Liking the Spurs and the Suns in just insane. lol

This is one issue none of us will have to worry about for sure.

15. Pizza

Pizza I'm so bad at this game.

-favorite team/s and why
    Anyone who has multiple favorite teams should be shot. Anywho, my favorite team will always be the Wizards, even though we're hopelessly irrelevant for the next several seasons. As for way, grew up in the area. You know the drill.

-favorite player/s and why
    I tend to like scrappy players with hustle who do the dirty work, getting rebounds, hard fouls in the paint and the like. Joakim Noah and Kevin Love are two of my favorites. As for superstars, my favorite's gotta be Tim Duncan. That consistency man.

-storyline that you look forward to the most this season
    If the Lakers can mesh in eight months.

-an idea of how much time you devote to following basketball in general
    Couple of hours a week. It's not my favorite sport but it's still enjoyable to follow.

-whether or not you've done fantasy basketball before, and if yes how many seasons as well finishing positions and records
    Never played Fantasy Basketball before. Should be fun though.

16. SPS

SPS um ........ no

in

favorite team/s and why - knicks, grandpa lived there
    favorite player/s and why - melo, best player on the knicks
    storyline that you look forward to the most this season - if the lakers can merge and win the west
    an idea of how much time you devote to following basketball in general - during the season maybe 6 hours of watcing it
    whether or not you've done fantasy basketball before, and if yes how many seasons as well finishing positions and records - nope

17. Water

Water Well Respected and Exceptionally Handsome User Forum Moderator Channel Leader Forum Moderator Channel Leader

favorite team/s and why
    Hawks, grew up around Atlanta.

favorite player/s and why
    On the Hawks, Horford. Super fierce and is the heart of the team.
    Off the hawks probably Rondo, love how aggressive he is and how he seems to make his entire team better.

storyline that you look forward to the most this season
    How fast the Lakers mesh obviously is the biggest one. I think all the teams involved in that trade (minus Orlando obviously) look pretty interesting going into this year with Bynum having the opportunity to possibly turn into a superstar in Philly and Iguodala seems like he'll fit in perfectly in a very good Denver team.

an idea of how much time you devote to following basketball in general
    Probably 4 hours a week.

whether or not you've done fantasy basketball before, and if yes how many seasons as well finishing positions and records
    nope

18. Oh So Shoddy

So for those of you who may not know, we're exactly two weeks away from the start of the season. And about twelve days away from the current set draft date. I'm glad to see at least fair interest so far. And though I'd actually hate having to turn people away, I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more. I'm sure we've got many more basketball fans around here.

19. Hamek

Hamek New Member

[1:39:27 PM] Oh So Shoddy: Go bump the thread then

Alright, fine, I will. We don't need THAT many more people, but most people who like basketball have already signed up, it'll get harder to find people now.

20. Oh So Shoddy

I'm pretty sure we can find more interested players. Sixteen players would be ideal. That would be about four more sign ups by my count. The draft is in one week, so I'll be finalizing spots and see ending out invites before then. That means I'll probably be contacting each of the sign ups to confirm details.

21. Jtkbasketball

Jtkbasketball New Member

how do i sign up? or am i in the league?

22. Dark Phoenix

Dark Phoenix Multidimensional Hero

-Chicago Bulls: Born and raised - live on the south side. Still go to the games whenever I can - even if I'm in the nosebleeds I'm still enjoying the
    favorite player/s and why

-Derrick Rose. I knew (of him) back in high school, hell his high school is not too far of where I stay. He embodies the bulls and even though this is one of those make or break cities it's nice to see the bulls retain one of our own (even though I think they rigged the system) =p.

- Whether or not the Bulls will finally improve this year in terms of finally making a big trade. They're lacking BIG TIME at the power forward and center position and anyway trying to say Joakim Noah or Carlos Boozer deserve their big contracts are laughable. Sure - there's a lack of big men out there but if they're willing to pay people the big money we could've definitely improved at this position... Every year other teams reload and everyone thinks that luol deng boozer and noah are superstars to compliment Derrick Rose.. I like them sure - but we could definitely have a better team.

-What? There are people that don't watch every game?

-'ve played before, but I didn't finish the season because I opted to play fantasy football instead, haha. Didn't join this year so I'm ready to finish up.

23. Oh So Shoddy

Well since we're still below the targeted minimum of 16 players, everyone is essentially in. If we do go above 16 then I'll finalize spots based on who is most interested.

Yeah. Just goes to show that there's no hope for mankind.

Hmm. "Quit" is never good on any resume. But at least you left some insurance.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  24. dhhaxmaster

dhhaxmaster You've Been Haxed

- The Pacers. I absolutely love their physicality. Their Shooting guard has a post game. (Paul George anyone?) I can't wait to see them and the 76ers smash the Bulls this season.
    - Tim Duncan. What more can be said about him? One of best players of this generation and half the people, in my area at least, have no clue who he is. Most people would go crazy with the lack of attention (Dwight Howard) but Tim is able to keep his calm and stay at a very high level even though he's forty billion years old.
    - Probably the Central division in the East. I can't wait to see the Bulls get third in the division, get the eighth seed, then get swept by the Heat. If not that then either the Bobcats, The Brooklyn Nets, The Golden State Warriors with Bogut, The Milwaukee Bucks without Bogut, and listening to the local fans moan about how bad the Wizards are again. Oh yeah The Heat and The Lakers too.
    - My teammates would eat me if I didn't. The only problem is I'm not very good at drafting guards since I'm a big man myself and I see guards as people who do all this fancy junk then miss an open shot on the elbow. (Extreme bias but whatever.)
    - I played one ESPN league before but barely anyone was active so I didn't get a whole lot of experience. If I don't get Roy Hibbert I am going to rage.
    You're gonna have to wait a couple weeks for him to get back. :/ Until then Michael Beasly lgi.

25. Oh So Shoddy

I forgot to request timezones. Those will be useful for the upcoming draft. Let me know if there's any particular time on Sunday that any of you are not available so we can get the best time for all of us. I posted here to make it official but feel free to let me know wherever.

26. Jtkbasketball

Jtkbasketball New Member

times

I can not do anything before 3 PM Eastern Time because I got a basketball game at 2

27. Oh So Shoddy

Mock drafts will be very useful. The analysts themselves have partaken in some with commentary on the type of strategy employed. Here's mock draft 1 and here's mock draft 2.

Since our league will employ a similar type of scoring, the insight provided will be very useful.

28. Sartillery

Sartillery New Member

-Lakers, too easy but I was born and raised

-KB24 because no matter how much a hater can hate, he is easily in the top 5 GOATs. And he started playing in my livelihood, I watched him rise.

-Nash's and Howard's first ring, KB's 6th.

-97 hours a day

-On Yahoo, I won a ring in 3 seasons, that account is long gone, and I have no further information.

29. Beast

Beast I do what I want

I would like to attempt to do this. I am on PO a lot so dedication should be no problem.

Favorite team: Boston Celtics, Larry is the only thing I should have to say to justify why I like them. I will say my whole family is from Boston so it makes sense I would love the Celtics.

Can I just say the Celtics as a whole? They are really the only team I care about except watching the Hawks lose. That is always fun.

I watch all of the Celtics games assuming I am not working. Depending on if they are playing a good team or not. I would say maybe 4 hours a game day. I do watch highlights a lot though.

I have never played any fantasy sports so I have no clue what I am doing. I would love to play but if there is someone more experienced than me and we are competing for a spot I would understand if I did not get it. Don't take that as I don't want to play though.

EST is my time zone.

30. OPPN

OPPN New Member

-Toronto Raptors: local team, plus watching their good days made me become a true fan ( VC days)
    - Nash: Canadian and he was a wiz with the ball
    - if new look LA can win it all
    -For Raptors, daily. For other teams, other than yhe big games and big news, i dont
    - i've never played fantasy league, but i know my ball :D.
    - EST is my zone

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  31. Oh So Shoddy

It's D day! We're 8 hours from finding out what pick we'll have in the draft, so get your mock drafts out the way, review your injury reports and compile your cheat sheets. I expect everyone to be making informed decisions. if any of you draft Brian Scalabrine I'm gonna kick out of the league.

I suppose I should also mention that I'll be finalizing participants throughout the day. Priority going to those who are active, interested and know their stuff.

32. dhhaxmaster

dhhaxmaster You've Been Haxed

Add the James Harden trade to that list.

33. Oh So Shoddy

His stock just went way up since he's expected to play a larger role. he already got starter minutes, but now he's a central point. I'm about to go get a few mock drafts to see what everybody else is thinking.

34. Oh So Shoddy

35. Parpar

Parpar Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Parpar
    Nice double posting

but anyways lgi

36. Oh So Shoddy

Took me a while to post but happy to say the draft was a success. All players showed up and participated and even though we had a few homer picks, there wasn't anything too crazy.

Due to the number of teams (14 - sorry to anybody I had to turn away), the generated schedules weren't in a format I liked. So, I reworked them completely.

The current schedule can be explained easily. In the first 3 weeks we'll have inter-divisional play where all teams in each division will face all other teams in their divisions. Since there are two three-team divisions (along with two four-team ones) a few match-ups will involve teams of different divisons. Starting off the season like this helps us get a look at who'll be positioning themselves at the top.

In the next four weeks (weeks 4-7) we'll have inter-conference play, where teams of each division will play all other teams in their conference (but not in their division). The next seven weeks will separate the real contenders. In those seven weeks (week 8-14) teams in each conference will face each of the seven teams in the opposing conference. League wide match-ups.

With 17 total weeks of regular season (last week is the week after the all-star break) that leaves us with 3 more weeks to rap up. In these 3 weeks, we'll revisit inter-divisional match-ups. Rematches. Opportunities for payback and a final chance to get one of the top two spots in the division for a chance at the playoffs.

So with that out of the way, let's officially begin the season with the Heat Celtics tip-off!
    Yes, I'm completely ignoring the Cavs Wizards game which was the actual start of the season[/HIDE]

PS: I would have posted this an hr ago if I weren't watching so intently...

37. Beast

Beast I do what I want

Thanks for the mention. Is there any way you can post stats and stuff for each of the teams? Or link to a page that has that? While I didn't get to play I am still interested in "watching" this play out. I think it will be fun to watch all of you battle it out. :)

38. Oh So Shoddy