1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[BW2 LU] Hurricanes are destructive things. (Peaked #10)

Discussion in 'Rate My Team' started by Morning Sun, Nov 2, 2012.

Moderators: Edna, fsk
  1. Morning Sun

Morning Sun Soul Song

PO Trainer Name:
    Morning Sun
    Hurricanes are destructive things.

[​IMG]

Why are RMTs so fun to write? Well anyway, since I'm pretty much done with this tier for a while, I figured I'd make an RMT of my most successful team. It's based around a really standard looking FWG core in Tangrowth, Slowking, and Moltres, but there's a bit of a fun twist. Basically I had been using a SubRoost Articuno with Hurricane in NU, and it absolutely wrecked shop, so I decided to make an LU team built around the same set on Cuno's more powerful brother Moltres; and, as expected, things died.

The team at a glance:​

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Let's get started~​

[​IMG]

Magneton @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Magnet Pull
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Thunderbolt
    - Volt Switch
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Flash Cannon

So, let's begin, of course, with the lead position. Magneton was the last pokemon to get a spot on the team, and mainly took it because as the team stood before his arrival, was very weak to powerful flying types such as Swellow and Archeops. Boasting a 4x resistance to Flying as well as solid natural bulk, Magneton was a perfect candidate! Not only did he cover a defensive hole in the team, but provided me with a consistent way to keep the offensive pressure up on my opponent with Volt Switch, outspeed a large majority of the metagame, nab a revenge kill or two here and there, and trap annoying steels like Ferroseed to top it all off! Without Magneton here to force my opponent to tread cautiously when using a steel type or revenge killing a plethora of sweepers with its fantastic base 120 SAtk, this team would not be half as successful as it has been. Magneton's movepool is fairly barren, but honestly all he needs is his trusty dual STAB and Hidden Power Fire to do his job successfully. HP Fire is for Steels of course, but it also helps to knock off a nice 70% off of things like Galvantula and Sceptile. Thunderbolt is a consistent STAB while Volt Switch allows me to bounce around and gain offensive momentum for the rest of the team. Flash Cannon is almost never used, but is helpful to hit incoming ground types like Sandslash and Rhydon for decent damage. Timid nature is an absolute must to get the jump on all base 125 speed pokemon. Speed does not necessarily need to be maxed out for this though, so one may very well forgo the spread listed above for a slightly bulkier 24 HP / 252 SAtk / 232 Spe spread, but run the risk of being outsped by neutral natured base 80 scarfers.

[​IMG]

Mr.Cuddles (Sandslash) (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sand Veil
    EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spd
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Rapid Spin
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge

Mr. Cuddles! Doesn't Sandslash just look like a Mr. Cuddles? Anywho, when using a Pokemon with such a crippling weakness to Stealth Rock, an efficient Rapid Spinner is essentially mandatory. Well, that's exactly what Sandslash is here to do, and it's what he does better than anyone else in the tier, screw Cryo and Kabutops. Sandslash is where it's at and anyone who's anyone knows it. I also needed a Stealth Rock supporter and a standalone physical wall considering my Tangrowth is indeed offensive. Earthquake is there for the obligatory STAB, and Stone Edge helps to beat Aerodactyl every time. This guy, while having great physical bulk, doesn't really have the typing to stand head to head against big physical threats like Gallade or Feraligatr, so more often than not once the field has been cleared for my Moltres and Rocks are up on the opponent's side, Sandslash is mainly utilized to pivot into attacks no one else on the team wants to take. Nonetheless it's a very crucial piece of the team, and is also quite a badass looking poke. 20 Speed EVs are used to outspeed uninvested Lanturn.

[​IMG]

Tangrowth (M) @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 208 HP / 252 SAtk / 48 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Leaf Storm
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Focus Blast
    - Sleep Powder

Here's where the fun twist comes in. Whenever Tangrowth is spotted in Team Preview, most players tend to assume that it's the standard take-every-single-physical-hit-in-the-game-and-leech-seed-your-face Tangrowth, which causes a big problem when they play assuming such. Tangrowth's special attack stat is, often forgettably, among the highest in the tier, and the power of a Choice Specs boosted Leaf Storm is something only VERY few pokemon mind dealing with. This thing absolutely shreds through common special walls such as Slowking and Lanturn, while they can do essentially nothing with standard sets in return. Almost any offensive pokemon runs the risk of getting OHKO'd by a Leaf Storm, and most that resist it, such as Galvantula and Sceptile, take greater than 60% of their health regardless. For coverage, Focus Blast is a must, not only because Tangrowth's special movepool is quite lacking, but it also comes in very handy on things such as Sap Sipper Miltank and Bouffalant, being all full of themselves and their awesome abilities, coming in to absorb a STAB attack, and getting OHKO'd by (or more often than not dodging lol) Focus Blast. The choice of Hidden Power was actually quite a tough one to make, but after spending some time with both HP Rock and Ice, I decided to stick with Fire because of one thing and one thing only: Escavalier. Scav is a very common switch in to Tangrowth, as HP Fire is mildly rare, and it 4x resists Tangrowth's stab and OHKO's all variants with Megahorn. Now I do have Magneton who helps in that regard, but Mag does not have the power to OHKO an Escavalier from full, and being able to catch Escavalier on a switch and OHKOing with HP Fire helps a great deal, as he is otherwise a very big threat. Sleep Powder is simply there as filler, but comes in helpful when facing things like CM Spiritomb that can threaten my team if they manage to boost up enough. The great thing about using an offensive Tangrowth is that even without significant investment in HP the thing NEVER DIES, and that's all thanks to Regenerator. This means that this guy will very often have the longevity to be able to stick around long enough to fire of multiple powerful attacks, often capable of destroying big threats on the opposing team and helping the rest of the group clean up. The EVs are such that Tangrowth will recieve exactly 1/3 of its health upon switching out thanks to Regenerator, and the speed allows to outspeed all uninvested base 55 pokemon. All in all, an excellent addition to the team that works very well in a FWG environment.

[​IMG]

Moltres @ Life Orb
    Trait: Pressure
    - Hurricane
    - Flamethrower
    - Roost
    - Substitute

The star of the show, who very often isn't the star of the show. We're all aware of just how powerful a move Hurricane is, but it's not very commonly used outside of rain for obvious reasons. However, 70% isn't all THAT bad, and when you can 1-2HKO most of the metagame with a neutral attack, well, it's worth the risk. The damage output from this thing is jaw-dropping, and if it manages to get up a Substitute up on a forced switch which, Moltres is quite efficient at doing, many players literally have no way to handle it other than sacrificing one of their pokes. Substitute is obviously the most important move here, as it not only protects Moltres from status, but also allows it to safely fire off back to back STAB attacks without fear of being KO'd, not to mention softening the severity of a missed Hurricane. This comes in especially helpful on things like Uxie and Slowking whom Moltres has no hope of safely staying in against otherwise. I very often lead with Moltres, as it poses an immediate threat to my opponent most of the time, and Moltres has the ability to set up on and take down standard lead Uxie almost with impunity. Hurricane in conjunction with Flamthrower is resisted by only Rock types and Lanturn, both of which are easily handled by the rest of the team. Roost provides wonderful instant recovery and helps keep Moltres healthy after taking much Life Orb recoil and giving up its HP to put up subs, giving Moltres more longevity. While Moltres' speed is somewhat middling, Timid nature is almost required because Venomoth is an incredibly annoying Pokemon to deal with. Should Moltres win a speed tie a and set up a Substitute, a potential crisis gets averted. It also helps to ensure outspeeding non Scarf Magmortar and Rotom-C, so it's more or less non-negotioable. All in all, the benefits obtained from running Hurricane on a pokemon this threatening are well worth the risk, and if the hax gods are on Moltres' side you've got a fearsome wallbreaker at your disposal.

[​IMG]

Slowking (M) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 112 SDef / 12 Spd
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Thunder Wave
    - Fire Blast
    - Psyshock

There isn't much to say about this to be honest, I really just needed a pokemon that could support Moltres defensively by being able to pivot into a plethora of different pokemon in the tier, which is exactly what Slowking does. This guy doesn't have the highest usage in the tier for nothing: it's incredibly effective. Its Water / Psychic typing and fantastic defensive stats make it almost a staple in a FWG environment, and its usefulness shines in its ability to be able to comfortably switch in against threats such as Typhlosion or enemy Moltres. It may seem odd that I do not have Slack off listed in the moveset, but from my experience, the way this Slowking is played makes Slack Off see barely any use. This thing is meant to pivot into pokemon such as those listed above, often forcing switches allowing me to take the initiative and predict those forced switches accordingly, allowing me to constantly pressure the opponent with free switches into the plehtora of wallbreakers on the team, paralysis support, or some solid damage. This aggressive playstyle lends itself to a lot of switching around obviously, and thus Regenerator provides more than enough recovery. Whenever Slowking needs to stay in and wall something, it can more often than not deal some hefty damage to the pokemon it's walling as well. For instance, Fires get destroyed by Scalds, and pure Fighting types can't take Psyshocks. If Slowking is getting dangerously low on HP, switching out is almost always a fairly safe option. The EVs are such that Slowking will recieve exactly 1/3 of its health upon switching out thanks to Regenerator, and the rest are split amognst its defenses for some much needed mixed bulk to deal with things like Entei. The 12 Speed EVs are a big deal, allowing for Slowking to outspeed Escavalier trying to speed creep other slowking with 84 EVs and knock them out with Fire Blast.

[​IMG]

Medicham (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Pure Power
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Fake Out
    - Hi Jump Kick
    - Zen Headbutt
    - Bullet Punch

Oh boy. This thing has saved my ass more times than I can count on 10 hands! While most Medicham are choiced in some fashion, what my team really needed was something that could punish things on the physical side, as well as have the ability to revenge kill many pokes found on heavily offensively inclined teams my team has trouble with. Life Orb Medicham is perfect for this role as, while it recieves no STAB priority, it does recieve the combination of Fake Out + Bullet Punch which, bolstered by its incredible ability, Pure Power, allows it to deal around 80% to most offensive Pokemon. Medicham is often never played until very late game when I've got my back against the wall and need something that can get rid of potentially problematic sweepers like a Galvantula ready to destroy my face late game, and Medicham delivers. Outside of the priority, Medicham also packs one HELL of a punch in its dual STAB attacks, recieving the coveted Hi Jump Kick, and the semi-decent Zen Headbutt. Non-Ghosts that can come in on HJK are honestly few and far between, as even notoriously bulky Psychic types that resist Medicham's STABs like Uxie and Slowking take upwards of 50% depending of their spreads! This makes Medicham very difficult to wall. I have thouroughly considered running a Jolly nature on this set just to get the jump on Timid Nidoqueen (as rare as she is) but honestly the power is much obliged, and more or less necessary given the role Medicham needs to fulfill.

Threats:
    It's a little hard to point out specific flaws as this team has an answer to most commonly seen Pokemon in the tier. However, powerful Ghost types like Rotom and Spiritomb pose a big threat as the only Pokemon I have that can switch into a Ghost type special attack is Magneton who by no means appreciates it. Calm Mind Spiritomb in particular is very scary, as once it accumulates enough boosts I am forced to sleep it and spam Hurricane with Moltres and hope to take it out swiftly. Also, although I've not once encountered it being used against me, my own Moltres set spells doom for this team as Molt can easily manage to get up a Sub, avoiding the revenge kill from Magneton and and safely 2HKO Slowking.

So in conclusion~​

There we have it. It may seem a little conceited, but I feel that this team has the potential to top the ladder, and it shows if someone as bad as myself can hit top 20 on two separate alts! It's very effective, very fun to use, and encourages aggressive play which I find very satisfying. Try it out! And as always please feel free let me know what you think :]

Thanks for reading, importable below.​

Magneton @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Magnet Pull
    - Thunderbolt
    - Volt Switch
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Flash Cannon

Mr.Cuddles (Sandslash) (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sand Veil
    EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spd
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Rapid Spin
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge

Tangrowth (M) @ Choice Specs
    EVs: 208 HP / 252 SAtk / 48 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Leaf Storm
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Focus Blast
    - Sleep Powder

Moltres @ Life Orb
    Trait: Pressure
    - Hurricane
    - Flamethrower
    - Roost
    - Substitute

Slowking (M) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 112 SDef / 12 Spd
    - Scald
    - Thunder Wave
    - Fire Blast
    - Psyshock

Medicham (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Pure Power
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Fake Out
    - Hi Jump Kick
    - Zen Headbutt
    - Bullet Punch

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  2. Finchinator

Finchinator IT’S FINK DUMBASS

PO Trainer Name:
    Finchinator / Finch
    Good team! Cannot make a full rate atm but, i see a few things that can be changed.
    Slowbro with three attacks needs to have some special attack investment in my opinion; that or just dropping an attack for slack off. Regenerator is not always enough when hazards are up (qwilfish just went lu)
    I use hp rock on Tangrworth for Moltres switch-ins but, hp fire may work for you. Rock is more useful imo.
    Finally, If you are not running jolly on Medicham I would try running a bulkier spread (aim to outspeed a common threat by a few like nidiqueen, feraligatr, or lanturn) This might siund strange but, I think it'll work so you can deliver big blows an tank a hit or two. (Reason why huge-power azumarill is uu, it is bulkyish)
    Good team and tell me if you impliment any of my ideas!

3. Emperor PPP

Emperor PPP PKMNPurePower

I'll rate this is as if the November pokes never dropped

Solid team you got here :D
    TBolt Nidoqueen seems like it could be an utter bitch though - Nothing can take a hit (or two) from it
    I know you like to play your Slowking differently but I find this set really effective (helped me to #2):

Slowking (M) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 248 HP / 144 Def / 116 SDef
    - Surf
    - Fire Blast
    - Slack Off
    - Toxic[/HIDE]

Specs Tangrowth <3

Also whilst I'm at it, EBelt Magmortar can do a shit load too

4. Morning Sun

Morning Sun Soul Song

PO Trainer Name:
    Morning Sun
    @ Finchinator, If my opponent is successfuly spike stacking in my face when I have a spinner I probably deserve to lose LOL. I've considered SAtk investment but Slowking needs all the bulk it can get, and it's not necessarily trying to be an offensive threat. I very rarely come across a situation where Regen is not enough to be honest, but that's just me. Also, HP Rock is nice for Fires but Grass types just LOVE to switch in on Tangrowth expecting maybe Leech Seed so I find Fire a lot more useful, especially with Escavalier running all over the place. And if I want to outspeed Feraligatr (which I definitely do), I'll only be dropping speed three points so it's not really worth it to invest in HP on Medicham. If Feraligatr wasn't a problem then 34 / 252 / 224 is a more than plausible spread. Thanks for the thoughts :]

@ Emperor PPP, Both of those get outsped and OHKO'd by Hurricane LOL. Granted it's tough to switch into Nidoqueen, but I can play around it just fine. And Magmortar is lols JS. Again, I've used Slack Off extensively, but rarely did I ever need it. Psyshock is way more useful to hit Fighting types IMO. Toxic is a good alternative to T-Wave though, albeit not as comforting as Paralysis. Thanks :]

5. Clarion

Clarion Snow on the Sahara

Hello there, Morning Sun! Congratulations for peaking to #10 in the LU ladder! I would like to know if you can continue using this team now that five Pokemon from the UU tier dropped to LU (Qwilfish, Houndoom, Bisharp, Zoroark, and Toxicroak).

I don't see any threats lurking in your team, aside from what you said. Rotom might deal massive damage to your team (Choice Specs most preferably, because it's faster than Moltres), and to address that problem is to pack Choice Scarf Krookodile somewhere in your team. However, since everyone in your team has satisfied to your needs, I don't have any idea who's dead weight to your team and needs replacement.

Again, congratulations for showcasing one of your most successful teams!

Poor Zapdos not having Hurricane >:I

6. Tyki

Tyki Change

PO Trainer Name:
    Tyki
    Your team seems to be very weak to opposing Life Orb Moltres. Slowking can't switch into a Hurricane, and neither can your own Moltres. If it switches into one of the many resisted hits your team uses, you have to sacrifice a poke in order to get your Magneton or Slowbro in, which is the only surefire way to kill it. You could risk a Moltres speed tie.

252SpAtk Life Orb Moltres (+SAtk) Hurricane vs 248HP/122SpDef Leftovers Slowking (+SpDef): 51% - 61% (204 - 241 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

If it's behind a sub, Slowking loses to Moltres.

7. Morning Sun

Morning Sun Soul Song

PO Trainer Name:
    Morning Sun
    Thanks, Soren. It's actually kind of depressing how the team I made directly after this one ended up being more successful D:
    The November pokes are actually HUGE threats, as either Zoroark (oh my lord that thing is amazing) or Houndoom can clean sweep my team with a single Nasty Plot boost. I'm forced to Volt Switch to fodder with Magneton and finish it off next turn, or let Medicham do its thing which is really supposed to be a last resort thing lol. Those are the only troublesome pokes though, Bisharp is dealt with by Sandslash / Magneton, Qwilfish is kind of lols in this tier, and everyone bar Magneton and Tangrowth can pretty much beat him 1v1. Specs Rotom is an issue but ideally it won't have the easiest of times switching in. Even so the Specs set is kind of rare (for some odd reason, it's great). I couldn't replace anyone with Krook if I wanted to sadly D:

I already acknowledged Moltres as a threat, but honestly it's not as big of a problem as it'd seem to be lol. If I manage to switch Magneton on a predicted hurricane then it's either GG Moltres or GG opponent's momentum. And on top of that I've noticed Moltres' usage declining a lot lately, very rarely do I catch it in matches oddly enough.

Moderators: Edna, fsk