1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Skeleton] Mew

Discussion in 'Gen 5 OU Analyses' started by Finchinator, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Finchinator

Finchinator IT’S FINK DUMBASS

PO Trainer Name:
    Finchinator / Finch
    [​IMG]
    ==General==:
    *As versatile as any pokemon in the overused metagame can claim to be.
    *Can run effective support sets with a plethora of options to help itself, cripple threats, and support its team.
    *Various boosting moves may be utilized to make Mew a sweeper.
    *100/100/100/100/100 stats make it able to build around any stat and utilize a ton of moves succesfully. This makes it an option for many teams but, some of its sets can be obseleted.
    *Mono-Psychic is rather underwhelming. Weak to common types like: Dark, Bug, and Ghost. However, is strong against fighting which is helpful in todays OU environment.
    *Synchronise enables Mew to cripple foes who attempt to status it with Paralysis, Burn, or Poison.
    *Amazing movepool lead to it being able to use a lot of sets as previously mentioned.
    *Can be used in any weather, on any type of team, and nearly fill any role.

==Set 1: Stallbreaker==
    Mew @ Leftovers
    Trait: Synchronize
    EVs: 248 HP / 152 Def / 108 Spd
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Taunt
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Ice Beam / Psychic
    - Softboiled

Set Comments:
    *Defeats a majority of the common physical attackers like: Terrakion, Dragonite, Salemence, Landorus-T, and Haxorus.
    *Current speed helps outspeeding and burning / ice beaming: Adamant Dragonite, Jolly Breloom, Adamant Gyrados, and Adamant Mamoswine (and Stoutland outside of sand.)
    *Toxic, Stealth Rocks, Psychock, Heal Bell, and various other moves may be considered so Mew can fill other small niches on teams.
    *Will-O-Wisp can cripple physical attackers and with softboiled and taunt it can outstall most things it outspeeds that don't 2hko it.
    *Is nearly impossible for a physical attacker to break through.
    *Ice Beam is for strong neutral / super effective coverage as well as being able to tame dragons.
    *Psychic can be used as a STAB attack while seismic toss just to get off damage.
    *Sofboiled is for recovery which is vital for outstalling walls, this is why it's known as a stallbreaker.
    *Can opt to run a bit mote of a specially defensive or a bit less speedy spread (32 Speed EVs for Jolly Tyranitar, 20 Speed EVs for Adamant Breloom.) but, it isn't advised because then it can be 2hko'd by physical attackers a bit more easily (like Choice Banded Terrakion's Stone Edge.)

==Set 2: Nasty Plot==
    Mew @ Leftovers / Life Orb
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk) / Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Nasty Plot
    - Psyshock
    - Aura Sphere
    - Flamethrower / Softboiled

Set Comments:
    *Leftovers and / or Softboiled can be used to abuse its natural bulk with reliable recovery while Life Orb and Flamethrower (or Fire Blast) can be used to make it a stronger Special Attacker with a higher damage output.
    *Nasty Plot is for boosting special attack and Psychock is a strong STAB move. Psychic can be used alternatively but, it hits special defense leaving you weaker to Chansey, Blissey, and Lati(s) to a lesser extent.
    *Aura Sphere has brilliant coverage alongside Psychic Stab moves of your choice.
    *Ice Beam can be used over Flamethrower on Rain Teams, or if you are finding yourself weak to Dragons, specifically Latias/Latios.
    *Vacuum Wave is a possibility over Aura Sphere but, the loss in power isn't a good trade off for priority when Mew sports a reliable base 100 speed.
    *Can break through slower stall teams as well as bouncing their attempts to status back at them with Synchronize. Also, Mew does well against offensive teams with its ability to grab free turns and occasionally tank a hit or two.

==Set 3: Swords Dance==
    Mew @ Life Orb / Leftovers
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk) / Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Swords Dance
    - Zen Headbutt
    - Drain Punch / Softboiled
    - Sucker Punch

Set Comments:
    *Can run Life Orb and Drain Punch for more power and a key coverage move which gives you less reliable but, viable recovery. On the contrary, Leftovers and Softboiled are usable because Mew has good natural bulk and can abuse recovery to sweep more efficiently.
    *Zen Headbutt is for a STAB attack and Swords Dance it to boost attack to help sweep the foes team.
    *Sucker Punch has good coverage with its other moves but, can be switched out for Fire / Ice Punch if you desire to.
    *Isn't seen as commonly but, this set has a large suprise factor and hits hard.
    *Explosion can be used as a suicidal way of ending your sweep as well as an opponent but, it takes away a coverage move and isn't advised because it kills the Mew.
    *Does well against offensive teams because of boosted priority while it can defeat stall with boosted stab Zen Headbutts and Drain Punches.

==Set 4: Baton Pass==
    Mew @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk) / Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Swords Dance / Nasty Plot
    - Rock Polish / Substitute
    - Baton Pass
    - Taunt / Psychic / Zen Headbutt

Set Comments:
    *Can pass to potent sweepers that have a plethora of coverage options. Similar recipients to ones that take Shell Smashes are ones this Mew could pass to. (That mixed Jirachi.)
    *Can use Barrier, Amnesia, Calm Mind, and any other boosting move it desires to for passing to sweepers or, being part of a baton pass team.
    *May utilize Roar to phaze phazors before they roar Mew or before they can cripple Mew / the baton pass chain.
    *Zen Headbutt and Psychic are viable Stab moves that can be used with there according boosting move (Nasty Plot with Psychic and Swords Dance with Zen Headbutt.) On the other hand, Taunt can be used to stop stall or, silent threats to a baton pass chain / passing to a sweeper.
    *This set can pass whatever is needed for the recipient so don't be afraid to serch Mews large support movepool and use whatever fits you. It's your set after all.

==Checks / Counters==
    *The uprise of Genesent causes Mew to either switch or, take a super effective and powerful U-turn so it dampens Mews OU relevance.
    *Other U-turners that either cannot be burnt or outspeed Mew are annoying. Also, non-support Mews don't appreciate Scizor or any other strong physical / special attacker, especially with super effective moves.
    *Jirachi can ParaFlinch Mew and Mew cannot easily break through it. However, Synchronize will cause Jirachi to get paralyzed, too.
    *Volcarona can set up all over bulkier varients, especially if they lack Taunt. If it feels threatened, then Volcarona can fire off Bug Buzzes freely, and destroy Mew.
    *Tyranitar and its powerful arsenal of Dark Moves might be trouble for Mew, too.
    *Overall, any strong super effective attacker can destroy Mew, as they can to any pokemon. Mew is versatile so it has no straight checks / counters to any set. Just analyze how it plays and act accordingly. Most sets have various Counters / Checks. There is not any unbeatable Mew out there, I can gaurantee it.
    *Heatran is a decent check to it in general.

==Other Options==
    *As previously mentioned, Stealth Rocks and Toxic can be used on the stallbreaker set. It can really utilize any support move. A list of some are: Dragon Tail, Roar, Heal Bell, Thunder Wave, Baton Pass, Roost, Softboiled, Will-O-Wisp, Taunt, Volt-Switch, and U-turn (the last two are more for scouting...)
    *On all of the boosting sets (Nasty Plot and Swords Dance,) common moves like Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, Ice Beam, Surf, Giga Drain, Fire Punch, Ice Punch, Thunder Punch, and others can all be used if you really need to. The sets given are just the best for general coverage in the OU metagame. Feel free to adjust to your teams threats which you need to defeat.
    *On the baton pass set, it can function as part of a chain, a support part of a team that can baton pass only inniciative, or whatever you'd like it to do.
    *Can work on Sun teams with boosted fire moves and Solarbeam, Rain teams with Thunder and boosted water moves, and Hail teams with Blizzard / boosted Ice moves. On sand it can also work well as a support member, but it functions well supporting all teams.
    *If you need a pokemon to fill a role, Mew can likely do it. Unless something obseletes it, you can use it to your liking.

Notes: The OO and C/C are kinda slopy, please suggest revisions.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  2. Spoovo The Pirate

Spoovo The Pirate Meep! Article Contributor Article Contributor

I'd recommend 32 Speed instead of 20 to outrun Jolly Tyranitar and burn the fucker. Hell, 108 might also be worth it for outrunning Jolly Breloom, though they're fairly rare nowadays, if memory serves.

Skarmory's worth a mention on Checks and Counters, cause it gives the Swords Dance set hell, and screws over the Baton Pass set if it lacks Taunt. Xatu and Espeon can thwart the stallbreaker, and Whimsicott or other Prankster abusers with Encore can take advantage whenever Mew uses a setup or recovery move.

Oh, and Jirachi's not as strong a counter as you might think. If Jirachi tries paralysing Mew, Synchronise will activate and Jirachi will find herself paralysed too, which will likely screw things over for it, as Mew can use Heal Bell if needed. Still a bitch for Mew to face though, I will give her that. *nods*

I think that's everything. Looks good to me, apart from a few typos that can easily be changed when it comes to Wikifying. :3

3. Finchinator

PO Trainer Name:
    Finchinator / Finch
    Sorry about typos, still adjusting to new CPU keyboard, just got rid of ten year old one *rambles on while nobody cares*
    I will mention speed varriation in next edit, whenever I feel like editing and I forgot synchronize but, Rachi still beats Mew. :)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  4. Finchinator

PO Trainer Name:
    Finchinator / Finch
    Bump / Added Additions Spoovo (and I few that I found myself) that needed to be implimented.
    Approving my own Skeleton but, if someone points out something that I missed, I'll unapprove / revise.

5. Luck>Skill

Luck>Skill Well-Known Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Luck>Skill
    108 speed on the stallbreaker, Taunting / Burning Dragonite, Breloom and Gyarados before they can Spore / set up on you is great, you won't miss the bulk that much, I can assure you.

Leftovers main item on the NP set

6. Finchinator

PO Trainer Name:
    Finchinator / Finch
    I will add in the 108 speed and put my current speed / other speeds in set comments or OO.
    Also, will put leftovers before Life Orb on NP set. (personally like LO but, leftovers works, too.)

7. Finchinator

PO Trainer Name:
    Finchinator / Finch
    Bumping for QCs

8. Dr. Fuji

Dr. Fuji Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Dr. Fuji
    Bumping because no one else is also I would personally remove seismic toss from the stall breaker set mew has more then enough offenses to use other moves and many of the things its other moves aren't hitting hard (jirachi, blissey ect.) aren't hurt well by seismic toss either. You could give it U-Turn I suppose although really I wouldn't use anything but psychic for its stab and ability to beat fighting types easier.

9. Finchinator

PO Trainer Name:
    Finchinator / Finch
    Personally, Seismic Toss is sh*t on the Stall-Breaker Mew. Agreeing to delete that slash.
    But, U-turn (as a mono-attack) seems not much better.
    Psychic and Ice Beam will be the only direct damage inducing moves on Stall-Breaker Mew.

10. Sakuya Izayoi

Sakuya Izayoi love to hate

Take out the Gensect in C+C and its good to go~!

APPROVED

11. ZoroDark

ZoroDark i know everything

Talking about a bump. This looks good. Heatran completely walls the stallbreaker set, and can tank an Aura Sphere, and definitinely a Vacuum Wave, from the Nasty Plot set as well. It should go into C&C. Personally, I think a somewhat bulkier Nasty Plot Mew is better. It would have Aura Sphere over Vacuum Wave, and probably Ice Beam in the 4th slot (but that's really up to the team's needs).

12. Finchinator

PO Trainer Name:
    Finchinator / Finch
    Keeping same NP set.
    Adding tran

13. Dragon.

Dragon. Oh noes I lost my sarcasm

The SD and NP sets need Baton Pass mentioned somewhere, along with possible partners; like Pokemon whom are good U-turn resisters, etc. For Example, the SD Mew set is really good paired with something like Lucario or Double Dance Landorus-T, where it can tank U-turns all day long.

Also, where is the Normal Gem Suicide lead Mew? I don't see it.

14. Finchinator

PO Trainer Name:
    Finchinator / Finch
    Suicide Lead Mew is a a lousy suicide lead.

Will look at BP set

15. Dragon.

Dragon. Oh noes I lost my sarcasm

It is, but it still has perks. Like having access to many of the moves in the game. It can TWave cripple things, it gets Ice Beam (which I don't think Azelf gets) and it can also WoW, which Azelf can't do. It should get a mention

Please don't be vague either. Support your position: why is NG Mew a shitty lead? Compare it and etc. I agree with you, but it's annoying when you just brush something off without giving valid reasoning as to why. You seem do this a lot around these forums.