1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pokemon Online for iDevices

Discussion in 'Development General' started by poatface, Nov 14, 2012.

1. poatface

poatface New Member

Hey guys! I'm a iOS programmer interested in making an iOS client for PO. I have about 4 years of experience working with iOS development, and part of that has come from creating my own battle simulator in my free time (with the intention of eventually developing a full gameboy-style Pokemon game). I really like PO, and I'd love to take it to iOS.

I've started picking apart the database, as well as your .tp files, and it looks really straightforward and easy to work with! I'm working on the Teambuilder functionality now. The route I'd take personally would be to start with 5th Gen (Wifi OU, then others) and work backwards, but I'm open to suggestions.

Any tips/hints/things I should know going forward? What all gets handled client/server side, and how should I go about communicating with PO servers? In addition, I don't know much about animation (I figure for early versions I can get away with just placing images on the screen and work towards animations later), but I'm willing to figure it out and/or work with someone who does when I get to that point.

Also, is anyone out there already working on this? I'd be happy to help, it'd be pretty silly to have two devs running their own separate paths on this.

2. coyotte508

coyotte508 Well-Known Member Administrator Server Owner Administrator Server Owner

Hey!

No one else is working on this. The network protocol is here.

We'd love to help you, if you make the source public on github it'd be a plus. If you have any specific question, don't hesitate to ask. And like you said, you can keep animations for later!

3. poatface

poatface New Member

Awesome! That network documentation is exactly what I was looking for. I haven't used github before, but I'll look into it. If I have any questions I'll bring em right up!

4. Pokemon Online Trainer

Pokemon Online Trainer I doNt Play Pokemon

Can You Make Pokemon Online For IPAD

5. poatface

poatface New Member

Eventually, yes! I'm going to start with iPod for now just to make the whole process a little faster/smoother, and as soon as I have a working client I'll build an iPad interface for it as well. It shouldn't be difficult at all to do that.

6. TheOneThatGotAway

TheOneThatGotAway Banned

I can start on an iPad interface.

7. poatface

poatface New Member

Cool, sounds like a plan. I've put the project on github here: https://github.com/AndrewColsch/Pokemon-Online

Let me know if you have any problems accessing it, this is my first time using github.

8. TheOneThatGotAway

TheOneThatGotAway Banned

I know how to use github, used it multiple times,

9. Kumiho

Kumiho Silhouettes

PO Trainer Name:
    Kumiho
    Would you guys be able to do one with an iPhone as well? That would be awesome.

10. TheOneThatGotAway

TheOneThatGotAway Banned

Ya, we could. Also, as I side thing for me I am updating the android app.

11. Pokemon Online Trainer

Pokemon Online Trainer I doNt Play Pokemon

How To Download I Dont know ?

12. poatface

poatface New Member

It's not done yet :) the link I provided goes to the source code, we're only just starting this project.

13. Shadow Trainer

Shadow Trainer New Member

Hi all. I'm not a developer, but I have a little bit of experience tweaking/editing iOS code (the final (read: built .app, installed on device) versions anyway) and I also know this: if you plan on submitting it to the App Store, you should be aware that Apple has semi-strict rules for what can and cannot go on it (if you weren't aware already). I would recommend a staged deployment, first through Cydia to get feedback from an admittedly smaller, yet more caring and conscious user-base before attempting an App Store roll-out. Best of luck to all involved.

14. Navy

Navy Member

If you manage to make this for iPhone's and iTouch. I will remember you as one of
    My heroes! :D

15. From Isengard Empire

From Isengard Empire Italian Player

Good Catch, poatface

Now i have a question for you

"Unfortunately", I have one 3g iPhone and as you know, i can't upgrade it with a new iOS system.

Are you going to make an app for ALL IOS system or only for iDevice with iOs > 4.3?

Waiting for a response, see you

16. poatface

poatface New Member

The immediate plan is to just get it up and running for the latest version, but I know some people have older iPhones/iPods and I don't want to exclude them from this. I plan to keep working on this basically as long as there's work to be done, so somewhere along the line there will be backwards-compatible versions.

17. Sky Sentinel

Sky Sentinel You see?

PO Trainer Name:
    Sky Sentinel
    Did this die? Because this is something I've been hoping to see happen

18. poatface

poatface New Member

This did not die :) it's been slow over the holidays but I am still working on it!

19. BigMoney_D

BigMoney_D New Member

I Love you so much, dude <3. I honestly have been waiting for this for years.

20. dgbx

dgbx Hey, I'm Dave.

PO Trainer Name:
    dgbx
    Poat, is there anything you need help with? I'm sure a lot of us would try to help if you were to delegate some tasks.

21. poatface

poatface New Member

Alright, here's the problem I'm having at the moment. I need to connect to the registry, but I can't seem to get it to send me any data. I've mucked around with the Stream Programming Guide from Apple (https://developer.apple.com/library...ms.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20002273-BCIJHAGD) but much of the documentation is severely outdated, and when I open an input stream nothing happens. I'll post that part of the code to github tonight. If anyone knows how to do this/what I'm doing wrong, I could use some help getting over this bump. Thanks!

https://github.com/AndrewColsch/Pokemon-Online

22. TheUnknownOne

TheUnknownOne Member

23. Lamperi

Lamperi I see what you did there

To connect to registry just open the registry connection at registry.pokemon-online.eu:8080

All the packets are in format (packet length : uint32, packet contents : bytes[packet length])
    So basically, you need to first read a 32-bit big endian unsigned integer to get the packet length, then read that many bytes to get the rest of the packet.

All numbers are send in big endian format (like the packet length).
    To read a string first read uint32 to get the string length and then read as many bytes encoded in utf-8 format.

The first byte of the packet indicates the packet type. Registry sends following commands: 5, 12, 57

Server struct (command 5):
    (command : byte, name : string, desc : string, player_count :uint16, ip : string, max_players : uint16, server_has_pass : byte)
    // The command indicates info about publicly shown servers you might want to join into.

Server list ended (command 57):
    (command : byte) // nothing else, indicates all the servers have been sent

Keep alive (command 12):
    (command : byte) // nothing else, just indicates that the connection is still alive

24. Virizion

Virizion ~ Taste the Rainbow ~

PO Trainer Name:
    Virizion
    I am so looking forward to this! I didn't see if it was a question above (I read them all but I probably still missed it), but will this be compatible with PO on the PC? :D ;)

25. poatface

poatface New Member

Thanks for the help guys, I think I'm making some progress.

Yes, the idea is that this app will be connecting to the same servers as the Mac and PC clients, so you can battle with other iPhone users as well as computer users.

26. Virizion

Virizion ~ Taste the Rainbow ~

PO Trainer Name:
    Virizion
    Nice one! :D Could you estimate a release date? I assume it'll be around Summer (July) 2013 at the earliest? ;)

27. poatface

poatface New Member

It's hard to say. Some things are going easier than I expected, and some are more difficult. But July is probably a good estimate for an initial release date, or public testing at least. I'm pretty excited to get this thing off the ground!

28. DrG95

DrG95 New Member

Hey guys I have a request:
    could you create an installation file (IPA) for iOS(better if 3.1 compatible)
    and post it online(mediafire or others) and pass the link.
    Jailbrokn iDevices could download it with Install0us

29. Sky Sentinel

Sky Sentinel You see?

PO Trainer Name:
    Sky Sentinel
    How're you doing so far? Just would like a check-up cause I'm still really anxious for this

30. Spotto26

Spotto26 New Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Spotto26
    Hey, when is this gonna be released, you said July, its September now, could you please give us an estimated release date? Btw thanks sooo much for doing this dude, i've wanted this for a long time.

31. turbedi

turbedi Professional circle clicker ~~~ Forum Moderator Developer Forum Moderator Developer

PO Trainer Name:
    turbedi
    I don't think that he is still working on Pokemon-Online for iOS. I looked over his project on GitHub and his last commit is 8 month ago. I will try to contact him if he is still working on the project, but I don't think so. :frown:

32. Creeper

Creeper New Member

Is this dead?

33. MidwayMarshall

MidwayMarshall woof Forum Moderator Developer Forum Moderator Developer

794 days dead