1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replay Viewer Changes

Discussion in 'Interesting suggestions' started by Kyrk, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Kyrk

Kyrk KACAW

PO Trainer Name:
    RTG
    Not sure if someone has posted something like this already or not, but I'll try posting anyways.

Since the creator of PO's replay viewer appears to only actively care to Pokemon-Showdown rather than attempt to fix the site, even though there were claims of just reduced activity, it appears that it won't come back up anytime soon unless there's a legitimate update on the situation from him.

To alleviate this, I believe we should fix up our current, but flawed, client replay viewer. Even if aesoft gets fixed before our replayer gets fixed, it wouldn't hurt creating our own usable, independent replayer. I know some of this stuff is probably being worked on already, but here is my list of stuff that I think should be added/changed in no particular order:

1. Battle Speed - The most important part in my opinion, as the current battle speed is only dependent on the amount of time it took to make those turns in the actual battle (ex. it took you and your opponent 20 seconds to make a move in a battle, so it takes 20 seconds in the replayed battle to do the same thing,) making it very inconvenient for recording or just viewing in general. Being able to pause, reset, and change/skip turns would be good as well.

2. Showing Turns on Main Screen - Another important thing which will be good for recording, letting you record the actual battle screen rather than adding the side bar chat in there.

3. Minor Additions - This includes showing names/nicknames, stat boosts, hazards, etc. to where you don't need to hover your mouse over a pokemon or something to do so.

4. Bug Fixes - There are sometimes incorrect damage calculations, statuses/fainting of the wrong pokemon in the team preview, etc. Granted I could have probably just posted stuff like this on the report bugs forum, but I'm adding this to the list anyways.
    Start of turn 27
    The foe's Empoleon used Ice Beam!
    It's super effective!
    FSM lost 282 HP! (103% of its health)

FSM used Focus Blast!
    It's super effective!
    The foe's Empoleon lost 81% of its health!
    The foe's Empoleon fainted![/HIDE]

5. Sprites - This includes adding animations. Having different sprites according to gens would be cool, but with how the earlier gens only showed parts of the pokemons' back-sprites, I'm not sure if it would look that great. The sprites could also be a bit larger to fit in the screen better, but that's just me being nitpicky.

6. Moving Outside Of Client - I think to actually allow the sharing of players' battles, I would suggest making the replay viewer moved to a part of the PO site.

7. Screen Dimensions - I think it's just me, but the dimensions of the battle screen aren't the best; it looks like if it's recorded and cropped for Youtube videos, the final product will look stretched compared to the original. However until I actually record it, I can't confirm what I just said is true.

Although most/all of my listed suggestions are probably difficult to handle, I really hope these are all looked into to benefit the client as well as the YT channel.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  2. Croak

Croak 20/20 hindsight

I second this so much, ugh. This would up the quality of future videos versus current videos which are getting negative feedback. Similarly, it would also be visually appealing to all viewers meaning we would continue driving home our impact on the competitive community. I especially want to stress the last bit of that sentence. I see a correlation between our channel's activity decline and the total amount of views PO videos currently receive. I have come to this culmination by observing my own channel and other channels that upload PO content. Again, improving our own replay viewer would be very beneficial towards ratings, not to mention our independence from a third party tool.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  3. Tyki

Tyki Change

PO Trainer Name:
    Tyki
    I also am I huge supporter of this. Aesoft was a good replay viewer, though because of the whole third party aspect and lack of bug fixing, I felt it wasn't... perfect. If we work hard to make this replay viewer really good, I feel that it won't only make us YouTubers happy, it would also bring back some of the people we lost to Showdown back due to the replay viewer being back and BETTER than Showdown's. It also makes our logs useful, as well as making them easily accessible to Tournament hosts, and making faking logs that much more difficult than using pastebin.

4. coyotte508

coyotte508 Well-Known Member Administrator Server Owner Administrator Server Owner

1. will be done

I don't understand 2., you still need the side bar chat for attacks used etc.

about 7., well record first then tell me

5. TheUnknownOne

TheUnknownOne Member

You can just share the log for 6

6. coyotte508

coyotte508 Well-Known Member Administrator Server Owner Administrator Server Owner

[video=youtube;JyCL7sVdsDY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyCL7sVdsDY[/video]

:o

7. Kyrk

Kyrk KACAW

PO Trainer Name:
    RTG
    Do you mean like sharing the log with a pastebin or a zipped file of the log, because I've never been able to get a replay coming from a log from the former. Either way, in my opinion, making a site domain outside of the client would be an easier way to manage and share battle replays. (can't say the same on the easiness of scripting the domain...)

8. coyotte508

The middle skips to next 'event', the right makes speed infinite (only a delay of .1 sec between each event max) and ignores real time speed.

[video=youtube;88rtbPzoj_M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88rtbPzoj_M[/video]

I added 2. (it's not perfect but I can't really figure out what's wrong), I'd like you to make an icon that I can click on the bottom right of the animated screen, enabling/disabling those log messages. (I implemented a whole new feature after all :))

For 7., I would need new screen dimensions and a new battle background fitting those dimensions, as well as an icon that i place on the bottom right of that screen allowing to zoom/dezoom.

9. Tyki

Tyki Change

PO Trainer Name:
    Tyki
    The aspect ratios of an HD YouTube video are 16:9. 1280 pixels x 720 pixels for a 720p format and I believe a 1920x1080 for the 1080p.

I can try to find some people for art, though don't count on it.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  10. coyotte508

Actually, for 7., if you look at that last video in full screen 480p it looks fine. (at least on my 1600x900 resolution)

So I don't think i need to concern myself with that!

11. Croak

Croak 20/20 hindsight

Some icons I quickly cooked up:

Zoom in & out:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/HIDE]

Enable text:
    [​IMG][/HIDE]

I always like giving people a choice between simplistic or fancy. Sometimes I get carried away and overdecorate, and it's a bit too much. I decided to showcase all of them as I commonly do in cases like these.

Disable text 1:
    [​IMG][/HIDE]

Disable text 2:
    [​IMG][/HIDE]

Disable text 3:
    [​IMG][/HIDE]

And as for the dimensions, I agree with coyo even though it'd be nice to have ideal recording dimensions, we have bigger problems. I'll still try creating some backgrounds, what are the current dimensions?

12. Tyki

Tyki Change

PO Trainer Name:
    Tyki
    It isn't a huge concern yes, though those black bars on the sides make the video looks very unprofessional in YouTube standards. The complaint is that we have to stretch the screen to make the black bars disappear.

13. coyotte508

The current background is in qml/images, otherwise for a bigger screen you'd have to ask tyki/kyrk what size. Thanks for the icons, i'll test it out!

You can just enlarge the log window by 1/4 when replaying (or not capture the replay bar with the pause/next/fast forward button), I really don't see an issue.

14. Kyrk

Kyrk KACAW

PO Trainer Name:
    RTG
    [video=youtube;j3dLOdk7_00]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3dLOdk7_00&feature=player_embedded[/video]

The only way the black bars could be usable is if Derwin or some other editor covered those with a layout of some sort, but since a small team preview is already in the battle screen, it would be near pointless. So yeah I would suggest changing the battle screen dimensions; I'm not sure what exact dimensions to use though, but I think Derwin or another POYT member might know.

Also if there was a way to allow the battle window to be fullscreen (would probably mean not putting the side bar in the full screen,) that would be really kickass.

15. Michael

Michael Lance Dragon Master

I don't mean to interrupt you guys, but this looks like it's developing very well.
    I agree with Kyrk about the offline replayer since it would be so much easier to use and to share replay links.
    Major props to you Coyo and keep up the excellent work.

16. Croak

Croak 20/20 hindsight

The thing is, is that you can adjust the video's dimensions by stretching it on your editing program (Derwin uses Sony Vegas) however in turn, this reduces the quality but removes the black bars on the side. The aesoft replay viewer wasn't 1280 x 720 but that's the ideal dimension for recording as you don't have to adjust it at all because it's already both a rendering dimension and HD. I think #6 should be handled more urgently but I guess they go hand-in-hand. As for the offline replay viewer, that's probably the hardest part.

Also,
    when aesoft replay viewer was up, I'd modify the background so that it has a DS-esque layout. I guess I'll go ahead and release it for the sake of the replay viewer.

Example:
    [video=youtube;pmWyDMJtw80]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmWyDMJtw80[/video][/HIDE]

The background modified to 1280 x 720:
    [​IMG][/HIDE]

17. coyotte508

So the reasons you have black bars is because you don't record the log sidebar :o

Since there would be one more option (change screen size), that makes 2 options. On the current battle screen I don't see how I can put those 2 options on the bottom right, so I would need a "config" icon (like the one on youtube videos to change resolutions)

By the way

You can test a different background easily:
    - Change qml/initial.qml to the new dimensions
    - Change qml/battlescene.qml to the new dimensions
    - Change the url to the background image in qml/battlescene.qml

You can even use that to change the screen size and the background for replays.

Actually, here is a step by step to have a 16:9 res:

[secret]- in qml/initial.qml, replace '500' by '712'
    In qml/battlescene.qml, so as to not have to bother with sizes, replace:

Code (javascript):
    1.     width: 500
    2.     height: 400
    4.     /* Separate element so that it can have a negative Z and be separate from the rest */
    5.     Image {
    6.         source: "images/grass.png"
    7.         z: -500;
    8.     }
    by
    Code (javascript):
    1.     width: bg.width
    2.     height: bg.height
    4.     /* Separate element so that it can have a negative Z and be separate from the rest */
    5.     Image {
    6.         id: bg;
    7.         width: 712;
    8.         height: 400;
    9.         source: "images/grass.png"
    10.         z: -500;
    11.     }
    Now you need to adjust the pokemon positions.

In battlescene.qml:
    - for team1, change anchors.rightMargin to 50
    - for team2, change anchors.leftMargin to 50
    - for poke1, change anchors.leftMargin to 90
    - for poke2, change anchors.rightMargin to 110

In BattleDataQML/PokeballAnimation.qml
    - change delta X to: property int deltaX: woof.back ? - 150 : 180
    [/secret]

And now you have a 16:9 battle window that works, without downloading any update (and without restarting PO). I urge you to test out any background that way and give me the list of changes :)

18. Kyrk

Kyrk KACAW

PO Trainer Name:
    RTG
    This is what I scripted so far:
    [​IMG]

The changes I made from coyotte's post were that
    for team1: anchors.bottomMargin: 130
    and poke1: anchors.bottomMargin: 130

I also replaced the background with Croak's image, although I can't get the image to get properly centered. I'm thinking of changing the sprite sizes, but not sure of what dimensions.

19. coyotte508

Oh sorry, it's "height: 400":

Code (javascript):
    1.     width: bg.width
    2.     height: bg.height
    5.     Image {
    6.         id: bg;
    7.         width: 712;
    8.         height: 400;
    9.         source: "images/grass.png"
    10.         z: -500;
    11.     }
    http://www.zimagez.com/zimage/capturedcran-28112012-203955.php

If you want to add the name of the pokemon, open BattleDataQML/FieldPokemon.qml, look for:

Code (javascript):
    1.     ProgressBar {
    2.         parent: woof.parent
    3.         anchors.horizontalCenter: woof.horizontalCenter
    4.         y: woof.y - 10;
    5.     }
    The name of the pokemon is above the pokemon, just like the HP bar. So adding something like:

Code (javascript):
    1.     Text {
    4.         y: woof.y -22;//you can also try adding "id: hp;" to the progressbar, and use anchors.bottom = hp.top; instead of this line, this will put the text just above the hp bar. In that case remove the 'parent: ...' line
    5.         text: pokemon.nick
    6.     }
    Will add the nickname. You can customize the color and size as described here.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  20. Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom Long time hater of stall

That looks brilliant - a vast improvement over Aesoft's one. Can anyone upload their battles onto it?

Also, one thing I'd like to suggest if it's still in the making - allow users to use their own music files.

21. coyotte508

It's just the replay viewer integrated into PO - use Ctrl+R to open it (or file > open replay), and if you want the animated battle window, when you are on a server uncheck Battle Options > Old Battle Window.

Though you can't upload it, you have to record then upload the video. Or upload the replay file and let others open it with their own PO.

22. Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom Long time hater of stall

Thanks very much - I look forward to trying it out.

23. Tyki

Tyki Change

PO Trainer Name:
    Tyki
    This is what I have so far:
    [​IMG]

I don't really understand the:
    and I am unsure as to whether you want
    Code (text):
    1.     Text {
    4.         y: woof.y -22;//you can also try adding "id: hp;" to the progressbar, and use anchors.bottom = hp.top; instead of this line, this will put the text just above the hp bar
    5.         text: pokemon.nick
    6.     }
    in the ProgressBar parent or under it.

(Also the theme no longer applies to the window, but that isn't recorded.)

24. coyotte508

Why do you insist using croak's bg :( the current bg fits better atm with the changes given (and it stretches automatically to the correct width).

1) in the file given, you have "property deltaX: woof.back ? -150:150", change the last 150 to 180
    2) Under or above. You can even put it inside.

25. Croak

Croak 20/20 hindsight

My background mass appeals to the Youtube battling community because of the DS battle scene. Similarly, I think what Tyki and Kyrk are progressing toward is making the style similar to an in-game battle.

26. smbcha (Derwin)

smbcha (Derwin) Battle Recorder & Editor

PO Trainer Name:
    derwinning
    Hello there. You have quoted me. Why are you doing this? It clutters things and makes it harder for the page to load.

27. Tyki

Tyki Change

PO Trainer Name:
    Tyki
    Ok, this is what I have now:
    [​IMG]
    and it looks very good. I tried making the text go a couple of pixels above the HP bar, but that made the entire battle window go white.

I would say the priorities would be:
    1. To make this resolution default
    2. Animated Sprites (We can probably rehost these from PokeCheck)
    3. Trainer Icons
    4. Fixing up the translucent black text in the battle window

I also resized the grass.png file from the client to optimal YouTube quality for team previews and for editing (so we can have more backgrounds.
    http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo10/Tyki777/grass.png
    It looks a little bit blurry due to the stretching though, maybe this can be fixed?

28. coyotte508

Change "y-22" by "y-24" to make it go 2 pixels higher.

1. Not default (people with smaller screen would be handicapped) but could be made into an option
    4. What are you talking about?

Gilad made that bg, so ask him if you want a less blurry one!

29. Tyki

Tyki Change

PO Trainer Name:
    Tyki
  30. coyotte508

You mean the battle log that's displaying on the animation screen?

Well it works pretty well now, except sometimes the text stays too long (shouldn't be a problem with replay at full speed)

31. Kyrk

Kyrk KACAW

PO Trainer Name:
    RTG
    [​IMG]

I pretty much have the same results as Tyki, only I changed the pokes' top and bottom margins to 55 so they look more centered, I raised the text slightly, and for some reason I don't have those player tags on the corners (codes for that?)

EDIT: I just noticed the right sprite being off, so I changed the right margin to 115 to properly center it. I didn't take a screenshot though.

I think regarding sizes, I think there should be an option that allows you to choose from a selection of dimensions to use (still think a fullscreen option would be badass.)

Regarding hazards, while there's an animation of the hazards being set-up, they don't stay there. How would you get it to stay there?

Also I've been wondering this: is there a way to convert a normal battle log to a battle replay file?

Also how do you enlarge the pokemon sprites?

32. QueenNJ

QueenNJ Member

Are you planning to actually show the current weather (also Trick room) every turn like the Aesoft and current Showdown version? Also if you can, try adding this to the live battle because sometimes we forget what the weather is and trick room and gravity, you said you are working on hazards anyway so thats cool

33. Tyki

Tyki Change

PO Trainer Name:
    Tyki
    This isn't the live version of the client, this is only the replay viewer. If you turn off the old battle window in the client you should be able to see the weather and hazards.

34. QueenNJ

QueenNJ Member

Very well, then I'll repeat please show weather and Trick Room and Gravity in the Replay every turn because its hard to tell when its ended in stuff like UU where DAmp Rock may or may not be present since when fights are speedy all these things slip the mind, and somebody has already said they are working on hazards. I hope they are
    But once you know how to do it for Replays wont you automatically know how to for live? Cause all of this isnt present in live right now

Also...how about something like a deduced ability column? Just to remind viewers that this Bronzong is actually heatproof or that Slowbro is already dead by hazard after switch in as he cannot regenerate because he did not get faked out so as to explain why somepony used healing wish before switching into him...not a priority of course but having the ability flashing throughout is very convenient while watching a match, mainly because the most Overused of abilities are kind of stuck in our head and a nice replay can be pretty long

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2012
  35. coyotte508

1. You probably need an updated version, but here is how to. Anyway 2.0.08 will have all the changes.

2. ok

3. Sure I'll add that (not fullscreen yet though, because you can't battle like that)

4. No really easy way (unlike for the nickname), it'd fall under a programmer's responsibility to add that

5. No but everytime you save a log you save a replay too. (Though theorically it's possible)

6. I'll add a property called "base enlargement" or w/e for that. You'll just have to change it, and it'll zoom in/out nicely.
    I was planning on using those: http://pokemon-online.eu/forums/sho...tle-Animations&p=107587&viewfull=1#post107587. I could instead add an option to show the weather animation every turn. What do you guys think?

36. Kyrk

Kyrk KACAW

PO Trainer Name:
    RTG

37. coyotte508

@Derwin: Most of the changes are extremely simple and i'll let the editor/recorder do them.

For example if you want to remove player names from the replay, you just have to add "visible:false;" to the Rectangle{} elements representing player names, or remove them altogether. If you want to remove the team preview, same to team1 and team2. If you want to change the background used, edit the url in the battlescene.qml. Basically you can make yourself 2 battlescene.qml files, one for replays and one for battles, and changing them is very easy. (qml was made specifically to make the job of designers easy). If you want to change the position of the pokemon, all you have to do is change anchors.leftMargin of poke1 and anchors.rightMargin of poke2. In any case I'll provide support for any changes you might need help with.

QtCreator will provide a lot of additional help when editing the files, but any other text editor can do the job if you set the syntax coloring to javascript.

38. coyotte508

Ok, added the option to change screen size.

Also added this:
    Code (javascript):
    1.     property real closeScale: bg.width === 500 ? 1 : 1.5
    2.     property real farScale: 1
    closeScale is how big should be the pokemon close to you, farScale represents the pokemon away from you. In this example the pokemon near you is normal scale if the screen is regular width, or 1.5 scale if the screen is 16:9. The pokemon far from you is always scale 1.

Note that those properties will only work next update, no use trying them out now!

Edit: Fixed logger properly. This, with the other changes before, concludes the replay viewer changes for this update imo.

39. Kyrk

Kyrk KACAW

PO Trainer Name:
    RTG
    I tested out a pre-v2.0.08 version of the replayer, and it's gotten a lot of improvements. Here's a video (best in 720p) I recorded of some replays (pardon the nicknames in the first match):

[video=youtube;Ftcm5dXR9F4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftcm5dXR9F4[/video]

Complaints/Suggestions:

1. Battle Flow - while it has been alleviated with the increased battle speed, there still isn't a steady stream of turns; you can also notice the amount of time it takes for each player it takes to make their move from their timers.

2. More video options - More than 2 video speeds would be nice in my opinion. I would also like to be able to go back (or just go to any specific) turns or reset the battle without having to exit the replay and reload it.

3. Glitches - Haven't actually noticed damage calc or regen glitches like in the last update, but I can confirm there's something up with pokemon names (or nicknames at least) - sometimes the names of 2 pokemon members get swapped in the replay, so that can get annoying.

4. Logger Speed - I must say in prior that I love the animated logger. However, this may just be me, but I think that the logger goes through the turns a bit fast, no matter what video speed the replay is in.

5. Animations - I know you're already working on more animated pokemon and attacks, but I just wanted to point it out...

6. Skip Button (or what I think is a skip button) - It feels like the Skip button doesn't really do much other than pause after normally going through 1 turn, which you click the skip button again to go through 1 turn at a time, but while waiting the whole turn out. Looking into it though, I can see how the after-turn pausing can be useful for narrators who narrate at an inconsistent speed...

7. Team Preview - I'm probably just being nit-picky here, but with team preview, your opponent's team in the battle screen's preview shouldn't have to be hidden until they use that pokemon. Thinking about it though, since the replay viewer will more than likely be applied to more than just BW, I can see how no opponent team preview would be important.

8. Converting normal logs into replays - There have been times in which only the battle log, but not the replay, has been saved for me. So unless you do the next suggestion, having something to convert a battle log file into a replay file for the online client would be excellent.

9. Browser Client replayer - Since you're making a Browser version of the client, if we're able to get the source codes from Zarel's replayer (who hasn't replied to me,)
    then we can fix it up and create a browser version of the replayer.

I'll think of more when I can. Other than that, you're doing a great job fixing up the replayer and listening to my complaints.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  40. coyotte508

1. To have that steady stream of turns, clicking the "fast forward" button and leaving it checked should be enough

2. Hmm, maybe for later

3. ^

4. Edit bin/qml/BattleDataQML/Utilities/Logger.qml. There you can see:

Code (javascript):
    1.     SequentialAnimation {
    2.         id: delayer;
    4.         ScriptAction {
    5.             script: {logger.pause();}
    6.         }
    8.         PauseAnimation { duration: 280 }
    10.         ScriptAction {
    11.             script: {logger.unpause();}
    12.         }
    13.     }
    That's the minimum amount of time between messages. (280 ms)

You can also see:

Code (javascript):
    1.     Timer {
    2.         id: clearer;
    3.         interval: 750;
    4.         repeat: true;
    5.         onTriggered: {if (!active) return; active=false; logger.text = ""; if (unpause) {unpause=false; logger.unpause();}}
    7.         property bool unpause: false;
    8.         property bool active: false;
    9.     }
    750 ms is the delay after which a message is cleared.

Also, I just noticed something:

change:
    Code (javascript):
    1.             if (!clearer.unpause) {
    2.                 logger.pause();
    3.                 clearer.unpause = true;
    4.             }
    5.             if (!clearer.active) { //replace by clearer.running when moving to qt 5.0
    6.                 clearer.active = true; //delete when moving to qt 5.0
    7.                 clearer.restart();
    8.             }
    to

Code (javascript):
    1.             if (!clearer.unpause) {
    2.                 logger.pause();
    3.                 clearer.unpause = true;
    4.             }
    5.             if (!clearer.active) { //replace by clearer.running when moving to qt 5.0
    6.                 clearer.active = true; //delete when moving to qt 5.0
    7.             }
    8.             clearer.restart();
    It'll improve things a bit with the messages disappearing. I'll include it in the code for next update anyway. But if you have changes to the other delays, and you got something that work, tell me the new values.

5. No I'm not! I can't work on animations without sprites/etc. Request for Calm Mind got 0 replies! I'm more than willing to code animations, I just need somebody to provide the general idea as well as any sprites needed for the animation.

6. The skip button should skip the current delay (which is the real time speed of the player), nothing less, nothing more. It shouldn't introduce any additional delay after the move, if it does it's a bug.

7. ...

8. Even with 2.0.07?

9. Exactly