1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MonoRed [Peaked #2]

Discussion in 'Rate My Team' started by The Dark Master, Dec 14, 2012.

Moderators: Edna, fsk
  1. The Dark Master

The Dark Master Member

PO Trainer Name:
    d d
    Hello everyone, and welcome to my first Monocolour RMT, and the first Monocolour team on these forums! Well it’s kinda like a RMT, but also similar to a guide on how to use MonoRed effectively. A long time ago, I hit #2 on the ladder, with the player above and below me using a very similar team to me. This has won me several Tournaments (as I no longer ladder in most tiers); however there are a couple of variations to this you can do (which is what turns this into a tutorial for how to use MonoRed).

Teambuilding Process
    Don’t need this section really, as nearly all MonoRed teams are the same with just a few differences that will be explained in time. Anyway, let’s skip to the team in detail:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The team in detail:
    [​IMG]
    Deoxys @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    IVs: 31 HP / 0 Atk / 31 SDef / 31 SAtk / 31 SDef / 31 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Spikes
    - Taunt
    - Psycho Boost

Deoxys-S, the master lead in any tier it is allowed in. Capable of outspeeding and doing HUGE damage to the majority of Choice Scarf holders, including Darmanitan and I know it’s really uncommon but I’m running out of things to say Adamant Terrakion hoping to revenge kill this, this is one beast of a Pokémon that should be the lead on every MonoRed team.
    WOO I’VE REACHED THE MINIMUM MOVESET EXPLANATION LENGTH BEFORE GETTING ON TO ANYTHING SPECIFIC

Right, onto the moves. Taunt is the standard move that all Deoxys-S (and Deo-D) should carry. You are unbelievably fast (504 Speed) and basically Prankster Taunt anything that wants to use a non-damaging move. This could be opponents laying hazards, Tricking a Choice/negative item to you, setting up or possibly even phasing you. This is one of the most crucial moves you can have on a team, and Deo-S is the perfect abuser of it, as Prankster Pokés don’t get any hazards to lay. Speaking of hazards... again, all Deo-S must, and I mean must carry Stealth Rock around. This hits everything for damage switching in (except Magic Guard abusers). Cloyster, the most common Pokémon in Monocolour, is easily countered by Deo, as you can stop it setting up SS, break its Sash and outspeed and OHKO with ease. And what would you KO with? Let’s think, the most powerful move this can get... that gets STAB... oh yea, Psycho Boost. Because you aren’t going to be using this move very much (except possibly after Taunting the evil thing that is Breloom), you don’t need to repeatedly hit with it, and so the SAtk drop really doesn’t make much of a difference. However, sometimes you can repeatedly hit and KO stuff with your amazing power and Speed. You quite often can end up getting carried away and netting two, possibly three KOes before returning to laying down your hazards again vs something that can’t do as much damage to you. And I’ve been using “hazards” in the plural whilst talking about only Stealth Rock. Yep, I am yet to mention Spikes. Deoxys-S is, again, one of the best users of the move; there’s a reason why this was sent up to Ubers. If played well, I can usually get 2-3 layers up before getting KOed. As many Monocolour teams lack a spinner (with the exception of the rare Forretress), these usually wear away opposing teams easily for my VolTurn core to do their stuff. My item, Focus Sash, allows me to take at least one hit, and usually I get an easy SR and one layer of Spikes up, although it’s usually more. You often get a lot more than one turn extra from it: it’s an amazingly useful item to have, especially on a lead (which exists in this tier). Pressure is kinda useless really, however it’s the only option for my ability, and so this is what I’m stuck with.
    I had all my EVs in bulk to begin with, however I felt that this didn’t really help too much with taking hits; my defences are pathetic. I also saw little point in using the faster Deoxys-S, and found Deo-D much more useful in OU. Trying to find why this hit Uber status, I moved the EVs to 252 HP/44 SAtk/212 Speed, allowing me to outspeed Scarfed base 100s hitting 492 Speed (I was at 493). This also didn’t work, as I felt the HP EVs were still useless, and there wasn’t much SAtk to make much of a difference in dealing damage. I then decided to go for maximum Special Attack and Speed: offensive EVs. Not ideal for something to stay around and put stuff on the floor, you might think, however these worked, and still do work, remarkably well. The remaining 4 EVs were moved from HP to Special Defense to avoid Genesect, Porygon-Z and Porygon2 getting a SAtk boost from me (they boost their Attack with Download if the opponent has a higher Special Defense stat than its Defense). The 0 Attack IVs ensures minimal confusion damage when paired with my Attack reducing nature.
    If a Cloyster were to go straight for the kill, and I Taunted it the same turn it used Icicle Spear, I would lose my Sash and faint. Same applies if it comes in with its Sash still intact. Stupidly fast Scarfers such as Jolly Terrakion, Infernape and to a lesser extent Timid [email protected] can outspeed and KO me if my Sash is down, although this isn’t really much of a problem with Terrak and Infernape if I still have my Sash ready to go. [email protected] and Dark types planning to take this on are usually met by a Scizor, which can U-Turn and deal massive damage to any Dark or Psychic types daring to stay in against it (unless they HP Fire you, then you’re in trouble). Usually however, the best way to deal with this is by a faster Taunt (although Prankster is extremely rare in Monocolour) or to waste away its SAtk stat and then switch in something to KO it when its weak, as after 1-2 successful hits it won’t be doing much damage to anything.
    Not really many changes, although if you were being really Scizorphobic HP Fire could work over Spikes, although I would never do this personally. Some people find the utility of outspeeding and immediately OHKOing opponents' Genesect useful for getting an early lead; another reason to use it. I prefer stacking Spikes, but it's up to you.
    Other Pokémon that can go in this slot:
    Deoxys-S
    Deoxys-S @ Light Clay
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    IVs: 31 HP / 0 Atk / 31 Def / 31 SAtk / 31 SDef / 31 Spd
    IVs with HP Fire: 31 HP / 2 Atk / 31 Def / 30 SAtk / 31 SDef / 30 Spd
    - Reflect
    - Light Screen
    - Taunt/HP Fire
    - Psycho Boost
    The combination of Reflect and Light Screen is often seen on more offensive teams such as this one – or at least, this is offensive earlier on in the game before most of Porygon2’s threats have been cleared. Reflect doubles your team’s Defense for eight turns while holding Light Clay. In addition, Light Screen raises your SDef similarly, allowing you to take hits well on both sides. Often useful for setting up sweepers, however it works well on this team if you Volt Switch/U-Turn to something and make a bad prediction, as if you switch from Deoxys-S to Scizor when a Krookodile comes out, and it uses Earthquake instead of the predicted Crunch, you would be forced to make another switch. However with dual screens up, this isn’t a problem as you take very little damage. Recieving normal damage from super effective moves is very useful. Psycho Boost is your obvious STAB option once again, although you won’t be doing much with no SAtk EVs. If you didn’t already notice, I’ve moved my SAtk EVs to HP to increase the time I can stay in and set up Screens, possibly coming in and doing it another time. No Focus Sash means that this is almost compulsory. The choice of final move is up to you; I’d recommend Taunt, as it can remove so many threats, as you’ll find out later in the threat list. However, HP Fire is a viable alternative as it removes enemy Scizor, Genesect, Forretress and the less-common Ferrothorn.

[​IMG]
    Rotom-H @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Levitate
    IVs: 31 HP / 2 Atk / 30 Def/ 31 SAtk / 31 SDef / 31 Spd
    - Volt Switch
    - Hydro Pump
    - Hidden Power
    - Trick

Rotom Wash, the legend. Whilst being without doubt the best Volt Switch abuser in all of OU, this thing makes its mark on the Monocolour tier too. Above-average Special Attack, decent bulk and a pitifully slow Speed stat make this an ideal wielder of a Choice Scarf that can use Trick. Fortunately, it gets this move, and is key to indirectly breaking apart walls. Its speed and power also let it to damage with its item, and without as well.
    As part 1 of my VolTurn core, this needs either Volt Switch or U-Turn. I chose Volt Switch for three reasons:
    1- Rotom gets STAB on it
    2- My Rotom-W is a Special Attacker, and VS is Special and U-T is Physical
    3- It doesn’t get U-Turn

Volt Switch allows me to maintain momentum (I didn’t really know what this meant. Until I used this team) and scout the opponent’s team, very useful in a tier with no Team Preview. When facing MonoBlue teams, and am up vs something vulnerable to VSwitch, I usually use Hidden Power Ice in case the opponent has a Garchomp waiting for me. Expecting to stop me dead? Try getting your strongest Pokémon, an Uber, OHKOed easily early in the game. Truly devastating if played well. My final damaging move is the most powerful by far, reaching 180 power, much higher than the 105 and 70 power coming from my other two moves. In addition, Hydro Pump has amazing neutral coverage, working well with my other moves to hit just about everything for at least something. However, these moves don’t really assist Rotom-W’s wallbreaking skills. What ​
    does help, however, is Trick. There’s nothing more satisfying than watching you switch in on a Porygon2, Ferrothorn or another similar Poké and watching them struggle to play properly when you give them your Choice Scarf. Scarf Gyro Ball Bronzong was one of my favoured targets if Scizor didn’t get to it first. It’s also great getting Reuniclus. Whether against support Pokés or not, Trick is surprisingly one of the crucial moves to the set, despite it not providing me with any coverage, power or durability. Again, not really any choice about my ability, but this is a good one, giving you immunities to Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and Ground moves which would otherwise hit you for super effective damage.
    Pretty much the exact same as before (saying this is the reason why my descriptions are never as long as the first one). 252+ Speed ensures me to:
    1- Outspeed slower Scarfers
    2- Have decent Speed even after using Trick

252 SAtk is the obvious thing to do for obtaining the maximum power possible for a neutral nature. As mentioned in Deoxys’ description, the reason for putting the remaining 4 EVs in SDef rather than Def or HP is to mess with any Downloaders that could appear, but is is much more useful on Rotom-W to ensure that Genesect’s Giga Drain can’t hit it as hard (although it still does quite a bit).​

Yea yea, I
    know these are about one and a half times shorter than the lead that’s there for suicide and not getting any coverage. Don’t ask me how I got that first one so long. On the topic, threats to this include just about every single Scarfer, as Rotom-W is one of the slowest there is. Things that can take hits from it, such as Porygon2 after I’ve Tricked/while I’m locked into an attacking move, can kill this thing, as they seem to be immune to a single status problem: fainting. However, these can be played around with Trick and Scizor. There aren’t too many Special defenders in Monocolour, so you’ll have no problem with them if you can beat Porygon2.
    Last section, and I can only really think of one possible replacement, and that’s HP Fire over HP Ice. This lets you beat Scizor and Genesect more reliably; however you then have to go inaccurate on Gliscor and Garchomp. Both moves are equally viable, choose what suits you best (but Gliscor can occasionally cause a couple of problems).
    None

[​IMG]
    Scizor @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Spd
    IVs: 31 HP / 31 Atk / 31 Def / 0 SAtk / 31 SDef / 31 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - U-turn
    - Bullet Punch
    - Superpower
    - Pursuit

Took the female image for this one, because I go into that much detail in my RMTs (check the importable; it says female). As you can imagine from the number of times this has been mentioned in previous Pokémon’s descriptions, this is one of the stars of the team. The second part in my VolTurn core and the much more powerful one, although it lacks the Speed of the other two Pokémon there’s been so far.
    Strong enough to dent anything standing in its way. Let’s get straight to the point with this one, U-Turn. This is the most used move on him, and certainly one of the most useful two. If the opponent has something to beat it, you can U-Turn on the switch in and send out Rotom-W to Hydro Pump the Volcarona or HP Ice the Gliscor or *insert another example here*. Even *insert another example here*! Yes, these two work so well together in this tier (although for some reason not in OU with me) they can take on the world. And they usually do this and win: there are many battles in which I don’t even need to use the last 3 Pokés I have. Rotom can also do similar things, Switching back to Scizor (although there are things immune to VSwitch, which can cause a problem but not if I predict and play well). If I want to maul something either on low HP or that’s frail, I use the other most useful move I have, Bullet Punch. Powerful priority, going from a pathetic base 40 power to a staggering 135, getting three 1.5* boosts from STAB, Technician and that insane Choice Band. I rarely use the other moves, Pursuit especially. However, if I think a Gengar is about to switch (which I usually can for some reason) to avoid the Bullet Punch OHKO, it can come in handy. At least SuperPower gets a bit of use against other MonoRed teams, hitting other Scizor and the everlasting Porygon2 for more damage, 2HKOing P2 (which not much can do).
    If I’m going to be honest here, I’m not actually too sure where I got these EVs. They aren’t even enough to outspeed 0 EV Heatran. However the 252+ Attack is kinda obvious with that pathetic Speed and a monstrous Attack. You have an above-average ability to take some hits for an offensive Pokémon, and so most of the remaining EVs were thrown into HP. It’s unfortunate that I was unable to remember back in time a couple of months to get those EVs though, they could help me try and make stuff even longer.
    Fire types. They really threaten this if I can’t get out to Rotom-W effectively. That’s pretty much it really, although repetitive switching around means you take a lot more hits and passive damage, and with Rotom being so fast and you being so slow, you take hits every turn (assuming the attacker is slower than Tom and faster than Sciz, which is very likely. All status (except Poison obviously) hurt this badly, so try to avoid this happening to her where possible.
    None really, except the EVs to the standard 248 HP/252 Atk/8 SDef as these would make more at least SOME sense. Possibly a move over Pursuit as I don’t ever find this move of any use, as in the only situation I would use it in, mentioned above, doesn’t happen too often, and I would probably U-Turn out of that one anyway to assist prediction later on and scouting of the opponents team.
    None

[​IMG]
    Porygon @ Eviolite
    Trait: Trace
    EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Recover
    - Thunderbolt
    - Ice Beam
    - Toxic

OMFG THIS THING NEVER DIES. I always say this, and for a good reason too. Never. Ever. Beaten. Takes hits 23/7 (everything can be beaten by at least something), and is really why the team is so successful. It can come in on just about anything, take the hit, then proceed to LO stall/Toxic Stall/Hit it or the switch in hard. I might not have mentioned it at all, especially compared to Scizor, but this really does hold the team together.
    My main method of damage probably comes from Toxic. The constant additional damage done to the opponent even wears away some of the bulkiest Pokémon. It only takes type in to consideration, not the defense stats (or the offense ones of P2), making it the ideal move for many tanks. However, there
    are times when Toxic isn’t the way to deal damage, such as against Steel types including Bisharp. These are immune to Toxic, and so I have to deal damage through other means, most notably Thunderbolt. This has more PP than my other offensive move, which is the only reason why I am saying this is my secondary source of damage. It’s also the reason why I use it more than my next move: Ice Beam. This is what I use to beat many Pokémon such as +1 MoxieMence, Dragonite and Gliscor. Gliscor is an especially easy Mon to come in on as if I can switch in on the Toxic, I can Trace its Toxic Heal and get massive HP restoration every until I switch out. When I actually battle and activate this, the opponent usually forfeits. This is the way to make someone ragequit, even without Toxic Heal. Shell Smash Cloyster is wrecked by this, Thunderbolt getting the OHKO easily, especially on -1 SDef. Closyter might have base 180 Defense, but similarly to Durant it can’t take any Special hits. It’s funny watching people say “please don’t have Recover, PLEASE don’t have Recover” if I get to low-ish HP during battles. Because guess what my last move is? Well I bolded it in the fake quote, so it probably isn’t too hard to guess it’s Recover. This is what really frustrates people, as this can sweep people with ease, despite being all-out defensive on the EVs and nature. You won’t find much in OU and below that can take mixed hits like this can, I really don’t know why it’s still UU.
    I found the EVs on the Usage Stats, and this was the only time I used them for this team. This spot was previously held by Double Dance Bisharp, however during one tournament sign-ups I decided to change that as it was useless. I’d also had an encounter with the #1 at that time just before, which was really what helped me make up my mind to go for this. That one Poké change was simply astonishing. But as I said at the beginning of this section, I ripped this set from elsewhere, which I don’t usually do (at least I didn’t use Smogon like some people).
    /me then gets attacked for saying the terrible, soul-destroying “S” word by an angry mob
    Urm... not much really. The only threat is what’s mentioned as the most important move in Rotom-W’s arsenal: Trick. Without Eviolite, Porygon loses a lot of its effectiveness. Not being able to change moves really doesn’t help much either. However, Banded 252+ SuperPower Scizor can’t do much as I can simply Recover off the steadily decreasing damage each turn, and then Thunderbolt it until it faints. Same with most non-STAB Fighting moves from many Pokémon, however Conkeldurr, Lucario and sometimes Reuniclus (although it rarely hits Focus Miss Blast two consecutive times) can take care of this with ease. But that’s just about the entire list: this thing is just too damn close to being uncounterable.
    I’m not even going to mention anything here, or in the next section about Porygon2 either, as this is simply irreplaceable and fantastic at its job. Don’t even
    think about swapping this for something else.
    None

[​IMG]
    Medichamp @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Pure Power
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    - Hi Jump Kick
    - Psycho Cut
    - Ice Punch
    - ThunderPunch

Most definitely the most changeable member of the team; I’ve added detailed information about the other Pokémon in the appropriate section. I’ll try to speak generally about the Pokémon that can go here most of the time, however I may also go into specifics in things such as moves and abilities.
    I like to use Medicham here, as it has insane power with its ability, Pure Power. This doubles its Attack Stat, which with a +Atk nature and a Scarf gives me something possessing both extreme power and a far-above-average Speed. However, there are several other perfectly viable, if not better, Scarf holders that can go in this spot. But for me, Medicham’s lethal Hi Jump Kick was just too good to not use. It’s very uncommon, but it can absolutely destroy almost anything trying to switch in on it. Even most resists take a huge amount of damage from it. However, there’s always that dodgy accuracy that can be my own downfall. Whilst an occasional miss isn’t that bad most of the time, with HJK ever miss loses me half my HP. That’s pretty much dead if the opponent decides to attack (which they almost certainly will try doing). If a Gliscor, Latios or Latias is coming my way (or I think one is), I use Ice Punch and OHKO or at the bare minimum 2HKO them. However, this isn’t always enough. I have to be very careful against MonoBlue teams, and will almost certainly use Psycho Cut. Why? Because Gengar, that’s why. OHKOing one of the opponents’ Pokémon is always better than 2HKOing myself. However, most of the time, I just end up spamming HJK anyway as Medicham, similarly to Banded Entei in LU (one of my other three favourite tiers), doesn’t really care about things that resist their moves. They can just spam their most powerful STAB moves and not give a single fuck about the opponent having their resists out. ThunderPunch is never used. Ever. Don’t ask me why I have it, I might as well have only 3 moves on Cham. Bulky Waters take more from HJK even if it’s not super effective, and so this is just about useless unless the opponent has Gyarados (which almost certainly, although I haven’t checked, outpaces and OHKOes).
    With all the Pokés that can go here, you’ll want 252 Attack / 252+ Speed. Maximises your power and speed, as you have no need for other stats. You’ll probably want Jolly even if you go for Medicham, however I just love to smash everything and so went for Adamant. However, I do lose in a lot of situations against other Scarfers that I really should win. It’s your choice about what nature you want to use, however the importable shows the probably better Jolly (although both of the first two other options are probably better than Medicham).
    Faster Scarf holders are a pain for the Champ, as are some Priority users. Rotom-W can use a powerful Hydro Pump and take a large proportion of my HP away, sometimes enough to KO me if my health is low enough. Scizor on other Red teams can use a
    very powerful Bullet Punch to smack me hard. Darmanitan’s Flare Blitz destroys virtually everything, Medicham included.
    I think that Jolly is the only improvement to Medicham itself, however as mentioned at the end of the EV section, the first two alternate choices are almost certainly an improvement when compared to Medicham, however I (don’t know why, but I) haven’t tried them out yet.
    Krookodile
    Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Moxie
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - Crunch
    - SuperPower
    A very similar Pokémon to Medicham. This is a much faster Poké, and whilst not as powerful initally, this can get a couple of boosts and then proceed to quite literally rape the opponent’s team. This is because of its ability which Medicham lacks; Moxie. This boosts Krookodile’s Attack by one stage each time it nets a KO. This comes in incredibly useful late-game, as you can just keep going in a similar fashion to ScarfMoxieMence: like nothing can stop you. You obviously need basic STAB moves, and so Earthquake is an obvious choice. 100 power, 100 accuracy, no nasty side effects for you. None for the opponent either, but then no move is perfect. Crunch is another obvious choice, as it has only 20 BP less and can occasionally drop the target’s Defense stat, meaning even Recover/Roost spammers find themselves getting crushed eventually. With EQ on the set, what better move to put it with than Stone Edge? This gives you nearly perfect coverage, with only 6 resists. Bronzong, Flygon and Tortetta (lol like you’ll see that in Monocolour) all take neutral from Crunch, Claydol takes super effective damage from Crunch, and Virizion and Breloom... well there’s always the last move, although that’s more of a Dark type and Porygon2 destroyer: SuperPower. This is really needed for some things as Porygon2 can come in on +2 Earthquake and take less than 50%, before either Toxic stalling you or Ice Beaming you for the easy OHKO. Standard EVs are standard, you should look up to Medicham’s if you are unsure on them (although I’m not too sure why you would be). The Scarf is there for the same purpose as with Medicham and Rotom-W, to give stuff the extra speed that it sometimes needs. Krook is painfully close to 100, but sadly falls just short. With Moxie, however, a Choice Scarf is the (near) perfect item for it.
    Darmanitan:
    Darmanitan @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Sheer Force
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef/ 252 Spd
    Jolly/Adamant Nature (+Spd/Atk, -SAtk)
    - Flare Blitz
    - U-Turn
    - SuperPower
    - Rock Slide/Earthquake
    Definitely one pain of a Pokémon to face. Flare Blitz hits even some resists for more than 50%, as it is boosted by 252 EVs, STAB, and Sheer Force. Base 145 Attack and possibly a positive nature added on turns this into a killing machine. 120 base power is nothing to laugh at either. Capable of outspeeding and KOing a LOT of things, this move is just about all you need.
    But.
    You already have VolTurn in your team, so why not use U-Turn? This does the same as Scizor’s, just with a bit less power:
    SuperPower is a filler really, although is great it hitting the many very few Rock types in the tier. Other than this however, it has fairly redundant coverage alongside Fire moves. Similar story with Earthquake: amazing coverage, however it provides nothing new. This is why Rock Slide is the preferred move, as it is also more powerful after the Sheer Force boost. It lacks the 100% accuracy, but it’s usually a good enough way to beat Flying types.
    Scrafty:
    The first of two Pokémon not to use a Scarf in this slot, this has two usable sets (although I’ve never tried the BU variant in any tier, and I’m not too sure if it can perform).
    Dragon Dance:
    Scrafty (M) @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Moxie
    IVs: 31 HP / 31 Atk / 31 Def / 0 Atk / 31 Def / 31 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Dragon Dance
    - Drain Punch/Hi Jump Kick
    - Crunch
    - Ice Punch/Zen Headbutt
    The set I’ve always used. Before I found out that UU is the worst tier, that is. This set uses a new item yet to make an appearance on this team, but is a very useful one: Lum Berry. This restores my status back to normal if I’m ever inflicted with a status condition, which I’ve found is very useful on sets without Shed Skin, which is Scrafty’s other very useful ability. When it comes to moves, Dragon Dance is the crux of this set. Boosting both your middling Speed and your decent Attack to insane levels after two boosts, which is perfectly possible with your defences, that are decent even with no investment. The Lum Berry helps greatly in gaining these boosts, as you can troll anything planning on ruining your sweep. The next two moves are reserved for your STAB moves, and Drain Punch is definitely the better of the two Fighting moves you could choose. However, Hi Jump Kick is much better for power, being nearly twice as good. It lacks the recovery that you kinda need though, and also Drain Punch doesn’t miss and kill yourself completely. Crunch made it as the Dark STAB, Scrafty uses is much to the same effect as Krookodile uses it: occasionally lower Defense, and hit reliably and powerfully with decent coverage. Well “decent” made more sense for Krookodile; very few Pokémon resist Scrafty’s dual STABs. The list consists of Toxicroak, Heracross and the ever-common Croagunk. Notice how Toxicroak and Heracross share a weakness to several types, both being part Fighting. However, Scrafty lacks any move to hit both of them. Except Zen Headbutt. These three moves give you perfect neutral coverage. However, you’ll notice that’s not in bold, and this isn’t a formatting error. Common as Heracross is in Monocolour, Gliscor is a huge threat to Scrafty (which can’t actually beat ScarfCross anyway), and so I’m going to suggest Ice Punch as the final move. Your choice though, nothings stopping you using anything.
    Bulk Up:
    Scrafty (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Shed Skin
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Bulk Up
    - Rest
    - Crunch
    - Drain Punch
    Some would argue, the Usage Stats included, that this is the better set. This set combines defense and offense, creating a very effective balance. This is the only offensive Pokémon on the team not to have offensive EVs, and works in much the same way as Physically defensive Volcarona. The maximum HP and Special Defense give me as much Special bulk as possible whilst I can increase my ability to take hits on the Physical side of the spectrum by using Bulk Up. Each use of this gives me +1 Defense, but also +1 Attack to turn me into a slow boosting tank. However, my health does get low eventually, and so I need recovery, which comes (unlike in the offensive DD set) in two forms; firstly is Rest. This may seem unusual with Leftovers as my item and not Lum Berry, as I don’t get instant status healing. However, Scrafty is lucky enough to be blessed with another amazing ability: Shed Skin. This means I have an amazing chance to cure the Sleep at the end of every turn. Rest restores so much HP for you, which is why you just have to love Scrafty, even if it is outclassed by the other choices. The second technique by which Scrafty restores HP is, as before, Drain Punch. I don’t think I need to say that much about this move, other than it hits stuff HARD, especially at +2 or +3, meaning that you can recover more HP reliably once you’ve set up (Rest is more for before you’ve boosted a lot). The final move, Crunch, has also been explained previously, twice in this Pokémon slot in fact, and you’re probably getting really bored of it. Same stuff really, just:
    Bisharp:
    Bish can run a whole variety of sets, these are just a couple of examples:
    Double Dance:
    Bisharp @ Leftovers/Life Orb
    Trait: Defiant
    IVs: 31 HP / 31 Atk / 31 Def / 0 SAtk / 31 Def / 31 Spd
    - Swords Dance
    - Rock Polish
    - Iron Head/Brick Break
    - Night Slash/Sucker Punch
    The set I originally had over Porygon2 before I really got to know the metagame, and before I found out just how useful Pory is. Bisharp has two simply astounding boosting moves which it can easily abuse. The first one is Rock Polish. This allows you to boost your Speed by two stages, which is turns you into something very dangerous, especially when coupled with a base 125 Attack stat. In addition, with Defiant, every time you lose your attack you suddenly have sky-high stats when it comes to Physical offense. However, the second move can boost your power even further: Swords Dance. This gives you the same Attack boost that you get from Defiant, only much more reliably.

Band:
    Bisharp @ Choice Band
    Jolly Nature
    - Brick Break
    - Sucker Punch
    - Iron Head
    - Night Slash
    Such a limited move choice, but this is what we get. Banded Bisharp is the only set on Bish I’ve suggested that lacks a boosting move, and this set is simply great for hitting hard straight off. If you’re lucky enough to find yourself against an Imtimidater/Cruncher and you lose a stat, nothing will be able to switch out without taking a massive hit from 3* (the equivalent of +4) base 125 Attack. I’ve gone with Adamant for the nature as with your low Speed, you rarely outpace anything with Jolly. The moves are simple, this time with 3 options taken up by STAB moves. Firstly is Sucker Punch, which is your most powerful move. Base 80 power, the aforementioned STAB, and +1 priority are what makes this an amazing move to have. On the other hand, it’s extremely unreliable. If the opponent chooses not to attack you directly, such as when using a Status move on you, Recovering/Roosting or switching, you fail to do anything. And as you are unable to change moves, you are then forced to switch and let something else take damage that really shouldn’t be taking it. That is why Bish has another good Dark type move; Night Slash. What makes this such a good move to have is the high crit chance, meaning that you have a doubled 1/8 chance to hit for more as opposed to the standard 1/16. In addition, despite not having priority, you get to actually do something in the event of... well anything really. The base 70 power though is the reason why Iron Head is just a bit more helpful, as this has a higher base 80. You also have a 30% flinch chance, much higher than the 12.5% crits from Night Slash. This stops slower Pokémon from moving in certain situations when you really need them to just not do anything. The final move is Brick Break, which gives you the best coverage you can get really. You do hit everything neutrally, but as you begin to notice how Bisharp’s entire move selection has moves with a base power of 80 or less, you really do begin to ask yourself just why you’d use this over other things.
    Single boost:
    Bisharp @ Life Orb
    - Swords Dance/Rock Polish
    - Brick Break
    - Iron Head
    - Sucker Punch/Night Slash
    Very similar to the Double Dance set, however with only one of the boosting moves. This may seem counter-intuitive with the 2D set letting you boost both stats; however you can get much better coverage by focusing on only raising one of your stats. Prepare for more repetition as I go into depth about the moves... firstly and most interestingly (compared to the other ones you’ve already heard), is the choice about which boosting move to use. Many people will run Swords Dance to increase their offensive presence significantly, turning you into a beast. However, Rock Polish is extremely useful with a Speed as slow as that, and the risky-but-useful Defiant to assist you. The moves are the same... blah blah Iron Head can make them flinch a lot ... hits the resists of other moves neutrally ... Brick Break ... provides perfect coverage in conjunction with Dark moves, with the exception of two Pokés that Iron Head deals with ... so yea, that’s it for those moves. The final move depends on which boosting move you chose. Sucker Punch is definitely the way to go with the Swords Dance set, as Bish isn’t that fast (even if it was Jolly it couldn’t do much, which is why I’ve suggested using Adamant for both sets) and it really needs priority. Sucker Punch ... powerful priority ... however, with Rock Polish you don’t need priority. Why? Because you’re fast enough already, that’s why. Because you resist nearly all priority in the Monocolour tier, 478 is all you need, as this beats most Scarf holders as many Pokés with >100 base Speed don’t often wear a Scarf unless it’s called Terrakion. For this reason, the more reliable Night Slash is chosen for the offensive move here.

[​IMG]
    Latios @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    IVs: 31 HP / 2 Atk / 31 Def / 30 SAtk / 31 SDef / 30 Spd
    - Calm Mind
    - Recover
    - Hidden Power
    - Dragon Pulse

Latias, the standard Special non-choiced attacker on any MonoRed team. With amazing stats for just about everything, including base 130 Special Defense, this is one thing you cannot afford to miss out on. Possessing near-perfect coverage and a reliable boosting move, great Speed and a very important Dragon STAB, there’s a reason why this is the most used Red Poké on the Usage Stats.
    There are two main sets you can use; I’m using the boosting set. Check the section for other options below for the all-out attacking set. The Specs set could also work, but you’d probably want another non-choiced attacker here. Now Latias has those amazing Special stats, with base 110 SAtk and 130 SDef. Wouldn’t it be good if we could raise both simultaneously? WHAT, WE CAN!? Yes, Latias gets access to Calm Mind, which is probably the most useful and most used move it can get. It doesn’t do much damage directly, but it boosts your power so much it’s unbelievable. It hits an astonishing 444 Special Defense after just a single boost, and your Special Attack hits a still very respectable 384. Getting in at least 2 is very easy, and this gives you effectively the stat of an unboosted base 246.5 SDef and 206.5 SAtk, both of which are very close to the highest for each stat (The SAtk is over 25 higher than Deoxys-A’s, and your SDef is less than 10 from Shuckle). In addition, you can get two reliable boosting moves in the forms of Roost and Recover, which are the exact same really, as even with the extremely useful ability Levitate, you are still immune to Ground moves after using Roost (it’s Flying types that are vulnerable to Ground types after using Roost). They both have the same PP, so it doesn’t really matter which move you go for. However, I have chosen Recover because this is an old team, made before I knew how Roost’s mechanics work (Stfu if you’re gonna say how I only found it out this December). I’ve kept it as Recover on the importable, but you can always go for Roost if you want to trick people who think they can EQ you in the same turn. The next two moves are fairly obvious to most, although some people may debate on the final move. The first move is undoubtedly the best attacking move boosting Latias has: Dragon Pulse. This, unlike Draco Meteor, doesn’t lower your SAtk, but still has a good 90 base power. Dragon type moves have near perfect coverage on their own, only being resisted by Steel types. But if you were to use a move to hit Steels, you would miss out on a second STAB move. So although many use Psyshock in the final move, I have chosen Hidden Power Fire. This gives you absolutely perfect coverage in Monocolour, as no one uses Heatran. Ever. You don’t want to use HP Ground here as Bronzong is very common, as Green is one of the four main Monocolour... colours (alongside Red, Blue and Purple). As you want to stay alive while boosting/sweeping, Leftovers is the preferred held item.
    The EVs are standard for this kind of set, but I’ll run through them anyway, as they can be changed. You really do want to have 252 HP, as this allows you to take hits a lot easier. Originally, I had 252 Defense and Bold as the nature, allowing me to take most Physical hits with ease and then set up on the Special side of things. However, I soon found that this wasn’t fast enough, and so I moved my Defense EVs into Speed and ran Timid instead. This allowed me to outrun many things I couldn’t before, helping me set up before taking a Special hit. In addition, I felt as though I could take Physical hits well enough even without those EVs, and I immediately saw the improvements made by those few numbers. The 4 remaining EVs could go absolutely anywhere, and so I put them into SAtk to make up for the lost 1 point from using HP Fire. They really don’t make a difference anywhere though.
    Genesect can cause a bit of a problem, however I can usually Recover off the damage from a U-Turn before it switches back in again, as I usually use it the same turn it hits me. However, this can cause me pain if it comes in and I don’t have enough HP to take a hit. Porygon2 is the worst thing, as it can take hits all day until I boost about 4-5 times and Toxic me, which is worse than if it happened to my other attackers by a long way. Why? Because I have to stay in to keep my boosts, and am more reliant on durability. Ice Beam can also do a fair bit of damage, although not much after a few boosts. Bronzong can take HP Fire if I haven’t got enough boosts up and Gyro Ball me for massive damage, although this isn’t much of a threat usually. Salamence and Heracross are the more offensive threats, outspeeding and KOing with their fast, Physical STAB moves (Outrage and Megahorn respectively).
    Possibly changing back my EVs, although I really would advise against this. This is probably the shortest section in the entire RMT, being only a couple of lines, and so I’m going to tell you here what I’m going to do at the end to make it look like something’s actually happening here, rather than you being surprised when you only see the bare minimum here. I’m going to post some battle logs of me on the ladder. K, that long enough? Let’s hope so...
    Latias:
    Choice:
    Latias (F) @ Choice Scarf/Choice Specs
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    - Draco Meteor
    - Psyshock
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Trick
    Choiced fully offensive Latias. It may be outclassed by Latios, however this is a MonoRed team, and Latios isn’t available to us. Because Latios is better, this set should generally be avoided. Not only is Latios better, but also this isn’t really the role Latias is meant to have. The choice of Choice item is up to you; Specs is what I would use as it has a lot more power, and we already have 1-2 Scarfers on the team. However Scarf can be used to outspeed and surprise OHKO many fast Scarfers such as Terrakion, Infernape and Genesect (although the former two aren’t very common). Genesect and Scizor, along with many other Steel types, are filled with the move mentioned in my Latias set’s description: HP Fire. Unlike the CM set, however, you aren’t focused on staying in and keeping stats high, so Draco Meteor is the preferred option for your Dragon STAB move. As you have more moveslots to be used for attacking, you can use your other STAB type, Psychic. As you probably want to be mixed, Psyshock is preferred over Psychic as this hits the opponent Physically rather than Specially, but still uses your much higher Special Attack stat for calculating the damage. Finally, Trick is used to help with walls, in much the same way that Rotom-W’s trick does. It’s a great 4th move, however it’s not a great 6th Poké. Use CM or the next set, unless you really need a faster Scarfer/something with Specs.
    Pure attacker:
    Latias (F) @ Life Orb
    - Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse
    - Psyshock
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Roost/Recover/Surf
    Similar to the Choiced set, however you can switch moves at the cost of lower Speed/Power. However, using the recovery that Latias is fortunate enough to get, you can abuse a Life Orb quite easily. The moves are relatively straightforward, and I really don’t think I need to explain them much anymore, as I’ve already gone over them all, with the exception of one. Draco Meteor is the preferred option if you find yourself switching often, and is generally better for that extra power. I wouldn’t recommend Dragon Pulse unless you frequently find yourself using Latias late-game when it’s your only Pokémon left. Psyshock ... other STAB ... decent coverage ... hits Physically ... HP Fire ... for Steel types ... perfect coverage ... not Heatran ... blah blah ... Roost and Recover ... heal ... and finally, after loads of stuff you already know, comes Surf. This hits Gliscor, the rare Heatran and some other stuff harder than your current moves do, and is always an option, however Roost or Recover are probably much better to increase your longevity.

L’importable:
    Deoxys-S @ Focus Sash
    - Stealth Rock
    - Spikes
    - Taunt
    - Psycho Boost

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
    - Volt Switch
    - Hydro Pump
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Trick

Scizor (F) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Spd
    - U-turn
    - Bullet Punch
    - Superpower
    - Pursuit

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
    Trait: Trace
    EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Recover
    - Thunderbolt
    - Ice Beam
    - Toxic

Medicham (F) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Pure Power
    - Hi Jump Kick
    - Psycho Cut
    - Ice Punch
    - ThunderPunch

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
    - Calm Mind
    - Recover
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Dragon Pulse

Threat list:
    Red:
    [​IMG]Darmanitan: Darm’s high Speed and Attack can give me problems, but depending on which move it’s locked into, Rotom-W can usually come in on it and take the hit reasonably well.
    [​IMG]Deoxys-S: Deo-S is easily taken out by Scizor’s Bullet Punch, although I need to be wary of HP Fire sets. It also can’t so much to Porygon2 other than Taunt it, and I can slowly wear away its HP.
    [​IMG]Krookodile: Once Scizor’s gone, Scarf Moxie Crunch can cause my team a lot of problems, especially as my Deoxys-S (the only thing I then have to outspeed it) can’t even touch it. However Porygon2 can take it on at +1 using the more powerful Earthquake, and so this can usually be dealt with.
    [​IMG]Latias: Porygon2 can eternally wall it, and Ice Punch Medicham can pick off weakened ones. Scizor can deal with it if its already lost a good deal of its HP, although this isn’t always possible.
    [​IMG]Magikarp: Holy shit this should be sent to Ubers, impossible to deal with. With hazard support from a Deoxys-S (as both are the same colour), Specs Tackle can absolutely wreck my team, and I only have 6 Pokés that can beat this.
    [​IMG]Medicham: Cham is usually too slow to do much, and Scarf sets lack the power to do much. Latias can take care of it relatively easily, resists both its STAB moves and hitting hard with Dragon Pulse.
    [​IMG]Porygon2: Very hard to take down, although Rotom-W can Trick it a Scarf or Scizor can 2HKO with a well-timed SuperPower. If it doesn’t have its own Toxic, my own Porygon2 can status it and Recover until it dies.
    [​IMG]Rotom-W: Similar to my own, it can Trick Porygon and make it nearly useless. However Scizor can beat it if it still has over 80% to let it take a Hydro Pump. If it loses out on Tricking Porygon, then that’s just another check added to the list.
    [​IMG]Scizor: If it doesn’t use SuperPower, Porygon2 walls it completely. If it does, I can switch to Latias (which kills it most of the time anyway, just as long as I don’t switch in on a U-Turn).
    [​IMG]Scrafty: Rotom-W and Scizor can take it on any day, but Porygon2 and Latias (after a few boosts) are murdered. Deoxys-S can usually Taunt it if it lives to when Scraft is sent out. Medicham can flatten it with Hi Jump Kick.
    Blue:
    [​IMG]Azelf: I can stop it setting up hazards if it’s the lead set with Taunt, and if it’s offensive then it can’t do shit to Porygon2. Because Pory is a tank. However, if it gets in a second Nasty Plot, then HP Fighting can really do a lot. Easily revenge killed by Rotom and Scizor, however.
    [​IMG]Azumarill: Just the priority that does the damage, but Porygon2 (mentioned so much in this section) can take everything other than SuperPower of a SubPunch. If I see this happening, Medicham comes out.
    [​IMG]Exploud: I have to be careful raging about getting haxed, because if I’m not he can mute me. Idk why he’s the caps bot, as Exploud is the loudest Pokémon out there.
    [​IMG]Garchomp: Possessing a dangerously high Attack stat and an above-average Speed, this is the best offensive Uber allowed in Monocolour. However, Deoxys-S can outspeed and KO with Psycho Boost, or Scizor can revenge kill it (or just switch in on Outrage). Non-scarfed ones are dealth with by Ice Punch Medicham.
    [​IMG]Gyarados: Rotom-W and Pory, problem solved. However, after a few boosts, this can turn into a wrecking machine which is why I have to be careful. Medicham can also ThunderPunch it hard, although it lacks the ability to take hits from it.
    [​IMG]Heracross: This is amazing at taking out Porygon, however depending on which move it’s locked in to either Scizor or Latias can switch in and beat it up or out. Porygon can also come in on Earthquake.
    [​IMG]Hydreigon: Nothing can switch in on this safely. Scizor, as with many Pokémon mentioned previously in the threat list, can Bullet Punch it hard, but it does need to be careful of Fire Blast/Flamethrower. Medicham nails it with HJK.
    [​IMG]Metagross: Uncommon and for a reason; it’s not very threatening at all. Scizor, Rotom-W, Medicham... if half my team beats it, I don’t think I’ll have much worries with this. However it can easily take down the other half, which is why I need to be cautious around it.
    [​IMG]Latios: More dangerous than Latias for offense, although it does have a slightly lower SDef that does hurt a little. Porygon2 takes care of it if Trick can be avoided; if it can’t then you’re in trouble.
    [​IMG]Riolu: I know, it looks like an unusual thing to have in a threat list. However, it has on one occasion swept me in a tournament final, with about 30 people watching. I have no real counter to it, with the exception of Taunting either the hazard layer or Riolu itself, but only if I can get that done just before it uses Roar/Circle Throw. Even if it does use CT, it would then be unable to Copycat it. But tbh, this little MC thing is the biggest threat to my team.
    [​IMG]Salamence: A nasty killer with those Attack and Speed stats, and Scarf+Moxie=rape. However Porygon can wall it if it has no boosts, and Scizor can revenge it very easily with Banded Bullet Punch.
    [​IMG]Thundurus: Priority status/set up is kinda irritating, although it can’t do too much to Porygon2 or Rotom-W. Thundurus-T doesn’t have the Speed to make this list, and this is also why it is outclassed by regular Thundurus. Again, there’s a reason why it’s Uber.
    [​IMG]Wobbuffet: A very weird defensive ‘Mon, this can trap and use CounterCoat to break whatever’s in in half like a matchstick. Scizor can do some massive damage, and after sacrificing one thing for it it can come in again and KO.
    Green:
    [​IMG]Breloom: Breloom is always a pain to face with its powerful priority and multi-hit moves, and capabilities to boost with Swords Dance.
    [​IMG]Bronzong: No offensive threat really, as it can only really do something with Gyro Ball on Latias. However, Toxic can severely cripple Porygon2 and limit its longevity by a lot. Gyro can also hurt Krookodile if you’re using it.
    [​IMG]Celebi: HP Fire ones can be very annoying to Scizor, which otherwise has a very easy time against it. Rotom’s Hidden Power, whether it be Ice or Fire, can do something to it, although not much. Mostly Porygon2 deals with it, although I should be cautious and check if a Toxic is coming before going in for the stall.
    [​IMG]Lilligant: Very rare, but HP Fire ones have an easy time with Porygon2 Sleep Powder’d. Even rarer non-QD variants are taken care of easily. It can’t switch in on either Latias, Medicham or Scizor though, and so is dealt with quite easily.
    [​IMG]Ludicolo: Very uncommon and completely walled by Porygon2; however it can take out much of the rest of my team relatively easily. If I find the opponent has one of these, keeping P2 alive becomes a high priority.
    [​IMG]Reuniclus: Probably would be easier if I had Krook, but as I don’t, it takes either TrickTom-W or Banded Scizor, or Porygon2 if it’s not CM. However P2 has to be aware of Focus Misses Blasts heading its direction...or somewhere close. It also can’t Toxic it, which can be a bit infuriating.
    [​IMG]Roserade: Not really much of a threat, other than Toxic Spikes killing Porygon2 completely if I come in at the wrong time, and it also has STAB super effective moves to hit Rotom-W with. However, Scizor (if no HP Fire), Medicham and Porygon2 (if it lacks Toxic/Toxic Spikes) can easily deal with it.
    [​IMG]Serperior: Serp is a very unusual thing to go in a tier full of OU things. So why use this over things such as Shaymin? Because this tier doesn’t use Team Preview, that’s why. And all 5th Gen tiers without this allow you to use unreleased abilities and items. Yep, I’m looking at you Contrary Leaf Storm. So now read Shaymin’s description for all the stuff you need to know about it, changing “Seed Flare” to “Leaf Storm”, “SDef” to “SAtk” and “reduced” should be “increased”. Here’s the text you’re looking for:
    [​IMG]Shaymin: Again, similar thing when it comes to hitting Rotom hard. However with Seed Flare, even Porygon can’t take many hits as its SDef is constantly being reduced. Scizor can hit hard, although it’s not a good idea if it carries HP Fire; Air Slash ones are beaten though. Medicham is probably the best counter, as it outspeeds and does massive damage (again, why I don’t like Krook).
    [​IMG]Tornadus: No rain is why this isn’t as bad. It’s also why no Tornadus-T on here, although they do very similar things. Prankster is what separates them however, as it can lead with +1 priority Taunt and “outspeed” Deoxys-S. It can also set up Rain Dance for other teammates such as Ludicolo. But it really can’t take a Psycho Boost, nor a Bullet Punch from Scizor. Rotom also takes care of things... as does Medicham... AND Porygon2... not really a threat, but it helps the remainder of the opponent’s team.
    [​IMG]Virizion: It’s usually better to work out if this is a Swords Dance, Calm Mind, or even a Work Up set before sending in something. SD ones boost quicker, but I can’t take it out with a single hit from Scizor. Porygon2 is near to useless against Viriz. Deo-S OHKOes easily though, and Tricking it a Scarf from R-W at the same time as it using a boosting move is an easy way to force it out. Or, if I Trick it and it Leaf Blades me, Scizor time.
    [​IMG]Whimsicott: Really annoying, seriously who gave this thing Encore. And priority. And SubSeed. And Taunt. And Sleep Powder. And Stun Spore... Scizor can hit it very hard, and Trick Rotom-W can be used sometimes if it’s dumb enough to Leech Seed me and not Sub first turn. VolTurning around the Leech Seed often wears it down as it cannot recover its HP fast enough.
    [​IMG]Xatu: With no Team Preview in Monocolour, I can’t tell if the opponent has a Xatu or not. I usually presume that they do have one if it’s a MonoGreen team however, and switch out to Rotom-W. I always forget that they all carry Heat Wave in much the same way that most Espeon have HP Fire and send in Scizor, so be careful of this if you battle one. Krookodile can hurt this, and I guess Medicham with Ice/ThunderPunch can too, although not as much.
    [​IMG]Yanmega: Scizor, job done. It also dislikes being Tricked a Choice item when trying to do a Speed Boost sweep, so if you survive a hit doing that always helps. Porygon2 walls it forever, and Deoxys-S outspeeds and OHKOes with Psycho Boost if it has +1 Speed.
    Purple:
    [​IMG]Aerodactyl: Not really a threat, however I thought I might like to add it in for people wanting a lead in a MonoPurple team to set up hazards, not just U-Turn like Genesect. I outspeed with Taunt from Deo-S and get it to its Sash with Psycho Boost. Scizor just flat out murders it; same with Rotom-W. And Medicham. AND Porygon2.
    [​IMG]Ambipom: Fake Out can hurt Deoxys-S and Latias... but that’s it really: it doesn’t hit that hard and is easily taken out by Steels, fast Fighting types and obviously it, like just about everything, can’t handle the TechnoDuck.
    [​IMG]Cloyster: A massive threat to all my OU teams... just not my Monocolour one. Cloyster has absolutely no chance against it, with all of Deoxys-S, Scizor, Rotom-W and Porygon2 being able to take it on, often if it’s at full HP with its Sash still intact.
    [​IMG]Ditto: Not a threat, just an idea if you want to go for MonoPurple (which many are doing now). Latias can keep CMing as it feebly attempt to attack me, and the others either Speed tie or just don’t give a single fuck about a fast mirror being in front of them, and in the cases of Scizor and P2 it actually hinders Ditto.
    [​IMG]Espeon: Looks like an easy target for Scizor, doesn’t it? But remember that, as with Xatu, this carries a Fire type move, HP Fire, to take care of these. However it is still very frail and can’t take many Bullet Punches. Again, really annoying with no Team Preview, but I can work around it usually as virtually all MonoPurple teams have, or should have, one.
    [​IMG]Forretress: Can’t do anything, except possibly Gyro Ball stuff or set up Toxic Spikes for Porygon2 to sit upon. Other than that, relatively harmless, which is an explanation for its rarity in Monocolour teams.
    [​IMG]Gastrodon: Not uncommon, this can give Rotom-W so many issues, although it’s usually Tricked early on. Burns from Scald can hurt Scizor and Medicham, although they both 2HKO with ease (using U-turn and then Medi finishing it off if it avoids Scald burning).
    [​IMG]Genesect: Absolute pain, no wonder it’s the most used thing in the tier. Luckily, Duckface takes care of whatever set it’s using. Scizor can revenge kill it, but only if it’s on very low – below 25% - health. Best thing to do is get it locked into a move and then send in a resist, as very few are, in my experience, Rock Polish ones. Expert Belt is killed by both Medicam and Latias also, and really doesn’t do much.
    [​IMG]Gengar: Scizor, Rotom, Deoxys-S, Medicham, problem solved. Really unthreatening, however Focus Miss Blast (I need to learn its name) can do something to Porygon2 and Shadow Ball can be used to outspeed and to the damage to Latias, as in spite of them both having an identical base 110 Speed stat, Latias loses 1 Speed IV from having HP Fire, and as most Gengar only have Shadow Ball and Focus Blast as their only attacking moves, they usually outspeed.
    [​IMG]Gliscor: Takes down Medicham with ease, and can tank most hits from Scizor too. Porygon2 walls it, as it Traces Poison Heal and then not only has massive HP restoration, but can also Ice Beam it for the easy KO. Rotom gets both HP Ice and Hydro Pump, although usually one move is enough (and all you can actually use if you’re still holding a Choice Scarf). Deoxys-S kills it, iirc scoring a 2HKO and it can always Taunt if things go wrong.
    [​IMG]Mienshao: Only really threatening to Porygon2 and possibly R-W; both Scizor and Medicham outspeed and OHKO and Latias outspeeds and takes very little from its moves. Deo-S rapes it, although it doesn’t enjoy its Focus Sash being snatched away from it.
    [​IMG]Nidoking: Powerful, yet slow and with lacking bulk. Deoxys nails it, as does Scizor if its HP is low enough. Rotom-W kills it, Porygon2 kills it, and although it cannot switch in, Medicham nails it.
    [​IMG]Sableye: I HATE THIS THING. Lucky that I can always Trick it and get a 2HKO with Hydro Pump, or U-turn if its locked into something that isn’t Will-o-Wisp or Confuse Ray. Walls Medicham and Porygon2, however.
    [​IMG]Venomoth: Porygon can fight it and come out barely harmed; however if it can Pass to Nidoqueen or something similar then I’m dead, unless it’s within Scizor range. Sleep Powder isn’t exactly harmful, only slightly irritating as I lose something permanently (or for the remainder of the game at least).
    The following colours are very rare, but nonetheless have a fine choice of Pokés that could be threatening. Cover your eyes if you dislike people theorymonning:
    Grey:
    [​IMG]Donphan: Can’t do much, especially to Rotom-W or Deoxys-S, both of which can absolutely smash this thing. Medicham can hit it, despite it being a strong Physical barrier, quite hard, and obviously Porygon2 completely murders the oversized elephant.
    [​IMG]Durant: Only problem is when it carries SuperPower: it can easily smash ducks out of its way at +1. However all sets, except Scarf, are dealt with by a faster HP Fire Latias. Scarf ones... Scizor does its job usually, as it can come in on any move it has, STAB or not, and can do a SuperPower of its own.
    [​IMG]Excadrill: A reasonably bulky spinner, however it’s painfully slow. Rotom-W can usually outspeed and Hydro Pump, or else Porygon2 is an option if it lacks Swords Dance. Medicham nails it with its almighty Hi Jump Kick, and Latias 2HKOes.
    [​IMG]Ferrothorn: A very annoying defensive threat, and I’m very lucky it’s uncommon. Taunting it with Deoxys-S doesn’t often work too well when the fastest Pokémon in the game with full Speed tries taking a Gyro Ball from one of the slowest things, but SuperPower Scizor and obviously HJK Medicham wreck it. It also doesn’t appreciate a Tricked Scarf.
    [​IMG]Kyurem-B: Not even going to bother with standard Kyurem with these two beasts allowed in the tier, as they outclass it completely. Kyurem-B is easily countered by Scizor, unless it carries HP Fire and predicts at the right time. Deo-S also can wear out its HP both with hazards and also through Psycho Boost.
    [​IMG]Kyurem-W: Ubered for a reason, Kyurem-W is the most powerful Special attacker in the tier and the second most powerful SAtker in the game, only surpassed by Deoxys-A. Timid Specs still has the power of a max investment base 100 even after using Draco Meteor once, which is amazing. Predict right, however, and again Scizor has it. However all K-W carry Fusion Flare, making it very difficult to come in successfully and safely. I’m not too sure, as I haven’t actually faced one yet, but I’m 99% sure that this can take out a Porygon2 in one or two hits: either way it won’t get a chance to Recover enough if constant initial pressure is exerted.
    [​IMG]Machamp: Annoying as hell, this is one of the top confusion spreaders around. However it doesn’t like three things. In order of effectiveness, from least to most:
    1- Bullet Punch from Banded Scizor deals quite a bit
    2- TrickTomWash, yet again, makes an appearance here
    3- Psycho Boost Deoxys-S. Rapes.
    [​IMG]Magnezone: Traps Scizor and then kills it with HP fire, that’s just about all it’s good for. However a Banded SuperPower to the face always hurts, and guess what Scizor can do? Yep, uses a Banded SuperPower. Medicham is probably the better way to beat it, scoring an easy OHKO with Hi Jump Kick.
    [​IMG]Skarmory: Mainly worrying to Scizor, however absolutely everything else really couldn’t care less. Taunt it, Volt Switch it, Thundebolt, or HJK it. Whatever you do, it’ll hurt, so just be aware of Skarm when using Scizor against the occasional MonoGrey.
    [​IMG]Terrakion: A dangerously fast Scarfer, capable of outspeeding Deoxys-S. However if D-S’ Sash is still activateable (new words ftw), it has no chance as Psycho Boost is always a smasher. Scizor is easily the most reliable, OHKOing even from full HP, and it can also take a hit on the switch in. Rotom-W also can Hydro Pump it for a OHKO, although it cannot outspeed Scarfed Terrakion, which is unfortunately the most common set.
    [​IMG]Zoroark: Useful for playing mind games: I disguise mine as a Machamp when I use MonoGrey. Deo-S lead? Dark Pulse it after absorbing the Psycho. No team preview really does help this, annoying the opponent a lot. I usually try working out what’s last on the opponent’s team to turn a 1/6 chance of a Pokémon being Zoroark to a 1/2 chance. Leads always get me though. Scizor, and slightly less Rotom-W, can outpace and KO it without issues. Flamethrowering Scizor on the switch in is always infuriating; I just have to hope I don’t get that switch wrong.
    Brown:
    [​IMG]Alakazam: Due to its high Speed and Special Attack, it can easily wipe out many unprepared teams; Focus Blast wrecks Porygon2. It also resists both of Medicham’s STABs, but... 252Atk Pure Power Medicham (+Atk) Hi Jump Kick vs 4HP/0Def Alakazam (Neutral): 105% - 124% (266 - 313 HP). Guaranteed OHKO. And you outspeed, so no worries there then. I just have to ensure that any Focus Sash it may be holding is eliminated before sending out Medi.
    [​IMG]Arcanine: Painful for Scizor, with both Intimidate and that typing, which allows it to not only resist both your STAB moves, but also hit you very hard, so hard that even Rotom-W is 3HKOed by a LO boosted Flare Blitz, which can be costly with any prior damage done. Porygon2 just tanks everything except a Close Combat, however with my three resists that won’t often be a problem. Again, without Intimidate, Medicham easily OHKOes.
    [​IMG]Bidoof: Unfortunately, I have no possibly way to deal with this. It’s just too good, and can take out virtually anything I throw at it. This thing needs to be banned from Monocolour, as it can hit everything so hard. Here’s an example:
    252SpAtk Choice Specs +6 Flash Fire Bidoof (+SAtk) crit Eruption in Sun vs 0HP/0SpDef -6 Dry Skin lvl 1 Paras (-SpDef): 40948654% - 48174909% (4504352 - 5299240 HP). Guaranteed OHKO.
    And that’s why, in my opinion, it shouldn’t be allowed. It’s what makes MonoBrown so OP.
    [​IMG]Conkeldurr: Deoxys-S annihilates it. Unfortunately, if it gets a couple of Bulk Ups in, it’s very hard to stop as Latias has no STAB move and takes a lot from Payback and Ice Punch. Rotom-W can usually Trick it: very helpful if I am able to get it locked into Bulk Up. Finally Zen Headbutt Medicham can do something to it if it hasn’t got enough BUs in yet.
    [​IMG]Dragonite: With MS broken, Scizor can usually revenge kill it very effectively. HP Ice ScarfTomWash hurts it a lot, as does Taunt Deoxys-S on most sets. Ice Punch Medicham also nails it, as does Porygon2, taking even +1 hits and 1HKOing in return, or 2HKOingg if MS remains active.
    [​IMG]Dugtrio: Trapping stuff is usually very annoying, however D3 is raped by my team. Scizor can use either STAB move, Rotom-W could use either Trick, Hydro Pump or HP Ice, and isn’t trapped by it. Porygon cares for nothing thrown at it, and Medicham does its 1HKO stuff as usual. Deoxys-S only fears Sucker Punch, and Latias can either switch or go for the Dragon Pulse. Again, not that threatening, but usually something to take into consideration when building a MonoBrown team.
    [​IMG]Heatran: Scizor and Porygon2 hate this. Unless Scizor hits it on the switch (which OHKOes if SuperPower is used), it is walled by it and is forced out. Porygon2 can’t do much, as Tran’s very bulky (many use Specially defensive) and it’s immune to Toxic due to its part Steel typing. Some Heatran also carry Toxic themselves, which is why Porygon can’t just stay in and slowly damage and Recover whilst they damage and die.
    [​IMG]Hitmonlee: Scizor is an easy way to beat it, although it cannot switch in on the rare Blaze Kick. Latias also takes care of Lee. EnduReversaLieche sets are the most threatening, as they OHKO Rotom-W and even Medicham, who resists. Deoxys-S also can sometimes win, and it always does well if it’s Sash is intact and it isn’t Lee’s first turn in.
    [​IMG]Infernape: Scizor is wrecked, as is Porygon2 unfortunately. However both my Scarfers outspeed and OHKO (if they hit, that is). Deoxys-S also does this. Latias resists both STABs, however it must be cautious of Hidden Power Ice and U-Turn, as these are common moves on the Nape.
    [​IMG]Landorus: If I can do over 50% before it Rock Polishes, Scizor can come in and do its stuff. Sash Deo-D also wins 1 on 1, and can Taunt before it uses Rock Polish. Scarf sets aren’t a worry. Rotom-W beats it regardless, however. I’m only thinking Special because Landorus-T, the Therian forme of Landorus, outclasses it at Physical attacking despite its lower Speed stat, which is just below 100 rather than just above it.
    [​IMG]Landorus-T: As mentioned about 5 seconds ago, this is terrifying with that massive base 145 Attack and Intimidate to ruin Scizor. Powerful Ground type STAB EQ hurts stuff quite a bit, however again. Porygon2. Takes it all. Rotom-W beats it easily with HP Ice, and Scizor 2HKOes if it comes in after Intimidate has worked on something else.
    [​IMG]Mamoswine: Scizor and Rotom and Porygon again. And Medi. Again. I really hope that this list doesn’t continue thisway as then everyone’ll lose interest... Icicle Crash does a lot to Latias, and Icicle Spear/Shard force Deoxys-S to fall. But with 4v2, usually this isn’t much of a problem. Psycho Boost makes it faint fast enough anyway usually.
    [​IMG]Shedinja: Deoxys absolutely murders this thing; despite not being able to touch it directly, it can lay down hazards which immediately OHKO it as it comes in. Pursuit Scizor, Trick Rotom, Toxic Porygon2, HP Fire Latias... this team is well prepared for was luckily built to not be weak to Shed.
    [​IMG]Staraptor: Brave Bird with Reckless and a Scarf is frightening, and a very underrated threat in OU. Monocolour isn’t much different for it, as it can Brave Bird a Scizor switch in, Double Edge Rotom-W and nail it before it moves, and obviously U-turn out of a Deoxys. Close Combat wrecks Porygon2, BB then is for Medicham and Latias. Luckily, only Choice Scarf Reckless ones are viable in any tier, and when you cover many of your weaknesses this isn’t usually a problem. Especially with Band STAB Bullet Punch Scizor.
    Yellow:
    [​IMG]Cresselia: Yep, this is now Yellow according to Pokémon logic. And we all know what that’s like. If you don’t know what Pokémon logic is like, go find a picture of a normal Bronzong and ask yourself why it’s Green. Cresselia can take hits from most of the team, however can’t deal with 4 of the Pokémon I have for one reason each. Scizor has its almighty U-Turn to smash it with, Rotom-W has Trick, Porygon2 can use Toxic and D-S has that really useful move, Taunt. The other two, Medicham and Latias, are pathetic.
    [​IMG]Haxorus: Shiny looks much better really. Mold Breaker is what really hurts, as not even Rotom or Latias can escape its Earthquakes. Fortunately, Haxorus is vulnerable to Bullet Punches, although Tricking one isn’t a good idea. Porygon can do its stuff quite well, avoiding SuperPower. Medicham can rip it before it gets any boosts down, as can +1 Latias.
    [​IMG]Jirachi: Hate this thing. If you Trick it to stop it paraflinching, it just does insanely fast flinching. Luckily Iron Head doesn’t have very good coverage, and Scizor and Rotom both resist. HJKing it also hurts if it isn’t Scarfed. Deo can’t do much really: Jirachi is the most threatening thing to my team. I’m so lucky MonoYellow isn’t that common.
    [​IMG]Jolteon: Jolt is a fast yet unthreatening Pokémon to this team. Scizor can take most of what it has, bar the rare HP Fire, and OHKO with U-Turn. Rotom outspeeds and OHKOes with Hydro Pump, and same with Deoxys-S’ Psycho Blast Boost. Same story with Medi, and it’s also walled by the ducktank.
    You just KNOW that Psycho Blast is a better name
    [​IMG]Raikou: Very, VERY similar to Jolteon. Too similar really, and there’s not much point in putting much down here, other than if you’re using MonoYellow it’s a viable alternative to use, especially as unreleased DW abilities can be used in Monocolour.
    [​IMG]Typhlosion: An interesting choice of Pokémon for MonoYellow, and you’d think why to use this over Victini. There’s two simple reasons. Firstly, you need a Special attacker, and Typhlosion does this much better than Victini due to Eruption, which is really the only reason why it’s on this list: hitting Scizor. The second reason is that you don’t drop your own Speed continuously, although you are left with using a move that keeps dropping in power as you switch in to the many hazards that murder Fire types.
    [​IMG]Victini: Being The True Legend of MonoYellow, Victini is a powerhouse. 180 power Banded STAB move... kills everything, and your base 100 Attack isn’t too bad. However, the constant drops in Speed and Defenses leave you vulnerable to revenge killing, especially without a Scarf. The Scarf set is good, but you might find that this can smash just about everything with a Band. Then, even most Water types can’t come in if you predict well and use Fusion Bolt.
    [​IMG]Zapdos: Horribly outclassed by the others, however you have a permanent Ground immunity, which is valuable in MonoYellow. But the added weaknesses to Rock and Ice limit its longevity, and Stealth Rock doesn’t help much either. Really there’s very little reason to use it, as all you do is lose stats for a different typing. This means that the things that beat Jolteon and Raikou are not necessarily the same. However Porygon2 still beats any Zap lacking Toxic, and Rotom can HP Ice/Hydro Pump it. Deoxys-S hits very hard, and obviously sets up the Stealth Rocks that it hates so much.
    White:
    [​IMG]Absol: Really critty. A SuperPower can OHKO Pory with the appriopriate hax this crits without haxing. Sucker Punch is for crit priority, although if it doesn’t crit then Medichamp wins. Scizor kills this nearly all the time, OHKOing with both STAB moves.
    [​IMG]Amoonguss: The tricky part is working out what to lose to Sleep from the 100% accurate Spore. After that, Trick and kill. U-Turn hits it hard, and Porygon2 can usually Ice Beam it a lot. Medicham can Psycho Cut and obviously HP Fire when they can’t status you. After you’ve been using it to set up CMs on, as Latias can sweep teams if it gets the chance. And with something Sleeping (and if it doesn’t have another status move), Latias gets this chance easily.
    [​IMG]Froslass: Spikes can cause a bit of damage to Scizor at it constantly VolTurns around; on the other hand it’s very easy to wipe out before it can set up many Spikes. Destiny Bond... I HATE IT. Taunt is probably the best way to deal with this, especially if Scizor comes in next – it probably won’t be able to hit me for any real damage, and it’s a vulnerable and frail target.
    [​IMG]Jellicent: Walls my VolTurn combo, and can Toxic my precious duck. However it doesn’t like taking ThunderPunches from the Champ, and when Taunted Porygon2 has an easy time coming in, Toxicing it and switching out when the Taunt ends. Obviously Trick kills it, but I bet you’ve had enough of hearing that by now. But I’m nearly done! Although I really don’t think you’ll actually still be reading by this far in.
    [​IMG]Meloetta: Not that good against this team; only threat is Close Combat/Focus Blast on Porygon2. However I think that 5 other Pokémon is easily enough to deal with it and beat it, with the possible exception of Ice Punch on Latias. But it’s always good to consider it when making a MonoWhite team, which you may or may not want to try out.
    [​IMG]Togekiss: The Jirachi of UU/MonoWhite. With access to both Thunder Wave and Body Slam, just like Jirachi, this paralyses you easily. It also has Serene Grace, and you’ll know exactly what this does if you’ve ever battled Body Slam Jirachi in OU. Similar to Rachi, it has a 30% flinch STAB move, however Togekiss’ is Special, which is why Body Slam is often used less than Thunder Wave: to leave EVs for your main STAB move. Access to Roost restores its HP and removes its Electric, Ice and Rock weaknesses temporarily at the cost of a Ground immunity, and Fighting and Bug resists. However the oversized bird isn’t impressive when it comes to taking hits, meaning that it’ll be 2HKOed by Bullet Punch and OHKOed by Volt Switch. Psycho Boost also hurts it, and Porygon2, once again, walls it forever. Medicham also wipes the floor with it.
    [​IMG]Volcarona: Killed by Porygon2 and Taunt, but kills everything else. Very threatening, but can be dealt with. Hydro Pump at +0 boosts OHKOes, which just shows the importance of Taunt in this team. Nothing else can really touch it, as Scizor’s only move that hits neutrally is Pursuit, which isn’t very helpful when it isn’t switching and OHKOes before you could even move.
    [​IMG]Zangoose: Finally on this threat list it something NU and not even that good, however it is, again, just another option and you could possibly see it. High Attack enlarged by Swords Dance makes it do a lot of damage, however its low Speed and bulk are a massive letdown, as is its incapability of staying in with Toxic constantly wearing it down. Sadly, SD ones break down walls such as Porygon2 completely, as it gets access to Close Combat.
    Well that’s over 80,000 characters of work done from 5/12/12 to 14/12/12. I’ve had to do this on a word document to be able to save it, as it is well over twice the length of my previous posts on this section of the forums, and people thought that THEY were long. It’s been disappointing only reaching around 14,000 words and being so close to 15,000, but I guess I can’t make everything go on forever. Although I can certainly get close.
    Hope you read through all of it (LOL LIKE YOU DID THAT) and have a nice day! Oh, if you read through all 31 pages of size 11 font in Microsoft Word, it’s probably the day after you started reading it. This should give you a decent guide on how to use MonoRed effectively, and by looking at the threat list together with the Usage Stats you can make teams for many new and different colours that are rarely thought of when building Monocolour teams.

Final notes:
    I often don’t accept help at first, so sorry if I look like I’m not listening.
    I may have made a lot of mistakes with it being this long, so please pick up on both text and team errors.
    Because I did this all on MS Word, I might have made a couple of slips with the code. Please say problems with this as although I might scan through, I usually make loads of mistakes.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  2. Michael

Michael Lance Dragon Master

Pretty good, standard red team. I can tell you put in a lot of work into this RMT.

I see a few things that can be changed and CB Scizor does not counter Riolu. But it's alright, good job. Red is pretty common and overpowered IMO but this showcases it quite well.

3. Lord Emvee

Lord Emvee The Lord is Here

PO Trainer Name:
    Lord Emvee
    Nice team. I'd go with DDance Scrafty over Medicham for better type variation and increased chance of sweepability (you have another scarfmon anyways to revenge kill stuff), but that's just me. Feel free to try that out if you think it'll improve the team; I for one think it will.

4. The Dark Master

The Dark Master Member

PO Trainer Name:
    d d
    Thanks! Yea, it took... a while.
    They both use +1 priority, and Riolu is outsped if it runs no Speed EVs. I'm not too sure what the standard EVs are for Riolu, although I'm sure they'd want to invest more in taking hits.
    That's the reason for the alternate options section; for you to customize the team in your own way. However I'm not too sure about DD Scraft: it is beaten by either Gliscor or Heracross depending on which 3rd attacking move you run, which is a pain when you know that both of these are VERY common in Monocolour.
    ~
    Thanks for the rates!

5. two sides of one coin

two sides of one coin sick of all her shit

iirc max speed +nature Riolu is used 100% of the time and it hits 240, meaning Scizor would have to run Jolly and some Speed EV's in order to outpace it.

6. The Dark Master

The Dark Master Member

PO Trainer Name:
    d d
    Well that sucks... I'll remove that from the threat list, thanks.

7. Sparkbeat

Sparkbeat New Member

Well, I don't have anything on the pokemon. i just prefer scrafty over medicham. There is one thing. I'd run hp fire on deo-s. Just the surprise factor of OHKO'ing genesect can put the opponent behind for the whole match.

Moderators: Edna, fsk