1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Final] Unfezant

Discussion in 'Gen 5 NU Analyses' started by Spoovo The Pirate, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Spoovo The Pirate

Spoovo The Pirate Meep! Article Contributor Article Contributor

updated

{{Header}}

{{Tier|BW2 NU}}

{{Overview|Unfezant is a sorry excuse for a pokemon by most people's standards. While it has good Attack and Speed stats, and mediocre physical bulk, it has no worthwhile movepool to abuse the stats it can boast, and the stats it can't (i.e. the special) are even worse.

Strangely enough though, one small niche Unfezant has over its bird brethren is that of a decent support movepool, which is just scarcely reason enough to give it a try. Who knows? It may surprise you. You'll also be hard pressed to find a pokemon that's more '''fabulous''' than this one.}}

{{Set|Power Herb Offensive|
    Unfezant @ Power Herb
    Trait: Super Luck
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Sky Attack
    - Return
    - Quick Attack
    - U-Turn}}

{{Comments|Unfezant's movepool may be worthy of paupers, but you can scrape out just enough offensive artillery to make a usable set.

Sky Attack is this set's shining glory. Without it, it's just another generic bird moveset, likely found on a Pidgeot or Fearow. Sky Attack's increased crit rate, combined with Super Luck's increased crit rate, gives the move an amazing 25% chance of scoring a Critical Hit. This potentially gives you a 420 Base Power attack, and even the mighty Tangela cannot hope to survive it, taking a ridiculous 104% - 123%. Once that herb's lost though, it'll take some prediction to use it well.

Return in slot 2 is the move you'll be using most on this set, as you'll want to preserve your Power Herb for when you really need it. Return is a respectably powerful move in its own right, although it doesn't have the disembowelling power that Sky Attack can boast. Quick Attack is a nice priority move in slot 3 that can pick off weakened targets, and Unfezant's other options really are few and far between

Lastly, you have U-turn, for the usual scouting methods you see practically everywhere. As a small bonus, it'll deal passable damage to any Grass-types that happen to be in the way, helping to soften up targets for Return or Sky Attack, and perhaps scoring an KO on a Shiftry or Exeggutor. It still won't hit as hard as a neutral Return most of the time, however.}}

{{Set|Wish Passer|
    Unfezant @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    - Wish
    - Protect / Taunt
    - Toxic / Taunt / Return
    - U-turn}}

{{Comments|Unfezant has a rather unique niche in being a Wish passing bird. This set differs from Togetic because of a much better HP stat and far superior Speed. 182 HP Wishes aren't great, but they at least help. Combined with a maximal 313 Speed, Unfezant can be surprisingly effective at its job.

Wish and Protect work well together for stalling and supporting purposes. However, Taunt and Toxic together can break down walls, so it's rather a difficult choice to make sometimes. Toxic also helps with the stalling, but it can be dropped for Taunt or Return if needed.

Lastly, U-Turn's available in slot 4 to help pass the wishes and deal some damage at the same time. It can be dropped for whatever wasn't used in slot 2 or 3 if you want, but you should beware of opposing Taunters if you choose this tactic.}}

{{Set|Support|
    Unfezant @ Leftovers / Lum Berry
    EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spd
    - Taunt
    - Roost
    - Hypnosis / Toxic / U-Turn
    - Return / U-Turn}}

{{Comments|Unfezant's unusual access to Taunt comes in useful, as it prevents setup and hence can help Unfezant shut down a lot of walls in NU. Its speed is maximised once again to outrun other threats in this speed tier. However, base 90 - 93 is packed with things, including Magmar (which is a likely Speed tie), Leavanny, Pidgeot, Chatot, Golbat, Lumineon, Mr. Mime, Zangoose and plenty more. Murkrow's also there at base 91, but it has Prankster to avoid any Speed problems, so that's a moot point.

248 EVs are placed into HP for some bulk and an odd HP stat, so that Unfezant can switch into Stealth Rock four times if necessary, and the rest go into Defence for filler. Roost is there for much needed recovery.

In slot 3, Hypnosis can completely incapacitate a check The accuracy is extremely unreliable though, so it can be replaced with Toxic to poison random switch ins instead, and help break down walls like Misdreavus or Alomomola, or U-Turn if you're worried about it inevitably missing. Return is the sole offensive option if you're forced to attack, and it can also be replaced with U-Turn.}}

{{Options|Swagger and Facade stay true to Unfezant's fabulousness, but Swagger carries risks of backfiring horribly, and it has no Guts to abuse Facade with. Steel Wing's available to at least look like you can threaten Rock-types, however you're better off just U-turning out of them and bringing in your Seismitoad or something.

Featherdance can let Unfezant annoy a surprising amount of physical attackers, and it can set up Rain Dance and Sunny Day for a weather sweeper like Victreebel if you're desperate. Substitute and Fly are a gimmicky combination for stalling out turns, not to mention the next best thing Unfezant has for a STAB Flying move after the gimmicky Sky Attack, but things will rarely go your way. Lastly, Unfezant has a decent special movepool, consisting of Air Slash, Heat Wave, Uproar and Hidden Power. Please don't use it.}}

{{Checks|Due to Unfezant rarely attacking, Taunt is a good way around it. But it's fast, so Taunting it isn't easy, especially when it often carries Taunt itself. Think Prankster users. Being 'faster', they can Taunt or Encore Unfezant to render it pretty useless.

Stealth Rock wears Unfezant down pretty well, but only if you can stop it from Roosting or Wishing.
    Even with investment, Unfezant isn't very bulky. Fighting-types ironically have the upper hand here, as Unfezant rarely has a Flying attack to hit them with, and they can hit it with a Super Effective Fighting attack if it Roosts. Ones that don't care about being Taunted - like Sawk - do well if they can switch in safely, while others like Gurdurr simply aren't threatened.

Physical tanks, especially ones that attack on the special side, are huge problems for Unfezant. Torkoal's a good one, because it can set up Stealth Rock if Unfezant doesn't Taunt it, or just throw repeated Lava Plumes at it until it dies - which won't take long - if Unfezant does Taunt it. Unfezant can't do much back, as an uninvested Return will only deal about 25% at the most.

Any remotely strong Special attack that isn't resisted is trouble for Unfezant. Lava Plumes, Scalds, even random Hidden Powers will all deal some pretty heavy damage, and even though it can recover off the damage with Roost or Wish, its frailty means that it will have to keep doing this repeatedly to simply not die.

Rock-types shut Unfezant down pretty much completely. Regirock for example doesn't care if Unfezant Taunts it, because it can just Rock Slide Unfezant to death and set up Stealth Rocks another time. Regice can also simply Ice Beam Unfezant into oblivion, though it doesn't take physical hits nearly as well as its Rock cousin. The same goes for Steel-types, especially dual Rock/Steel monsters like Probopass.

Ghost-types, particularly Misdreavus, are hell on Unfezant, due to being immune to its only common attacking move and resisting the weak U-turn. Misdreavus won't like being Taunted, however, because if that happens, the tables will be turned entirely unless Misdreavus packs a coverage move like Thunderbolt.}}

{{footer}}

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  2. The Real Elmo

The Real Elmo Caterpie hungers...

For some reason, only Luck and I seem to be active here on approving writeups :/
    It is finals weeks though, but we're throwing some ideas around as to what we can do to fix the lack of approvals.

Anyways...
    <3 power herb Unfezant. It's the only set I've used, and surprisingly I wasn't disappointed.
    Sky attack's critical + super luck is absolutely ridiculous. Also, I was able to utilize sky attack outside of power herb with a little prediction. It helps that Unfezant has some decent bulk to utilize as well.
    Just for reference, I think the set i used was Sky attack, Frustration, U-turn, Quick attack.

So, a mention about Super Luck+Sky attack having a ridiculous crit rate would be worth it imo.

What you have looks good though.
    Approved

3. Luck>Skill

Luck>Skill Well-Known Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Luck>Skill
    Definitely have that set instead of the 1st one, I don't like it that much, while the Wish set should stay as it is surprisingly decent.

In OO, at least mention Choice Band in the generic "offensive set" part

Approved if you implement those

4. Incon

Incon I feel incapable of seeing the end.

Elmo beat me to the punch.

I agree with everything he said. One thing that i think should be added in Other Options is Choice Band. While its outclassed by the other birds, it's still a viable option if you have the burning desire to run Unfezant. Also, i would outright say that it lacks Brave Bird.

Other than that it looks good to me... I like the cool Wish set.

Approved

5. Spoovo The Pirate

Ahh yeah, I was gonna imply Choice Band in with the offensive options. :3

Thanks guys.

So you want the Power Herb set added instead of the support set, or as well as?

6. Incon

Incon I feel incapable of seeing the end.

I think best is if they're both on there. Make the support set the last one listed.

7. Spoovo The Pirate

So power Herb / Choice set first, Wish set second, Support set third? Got it.

8. emac

emac Emad

Mention somewhere that Unfezant is never, ever viable, and you're good:P

APPROVED

9. Spoovo The Pirate

Lol, that is a fair point, good sir. :D

I'll some actual structure into this sometime soon.

10. Dzi

Dzi So Nyuh Shi Dae

Please finish this.

Approved

11. Dr. Fuji

Dr. Fuji Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Dr. Fuji
    Slight tangent but this has been bugging me is the Unfezant's picture supposed to be an optical illusion? Because I can see some guys face in it just wondering if you all felt the same.

Analysis looks pretty good perhaps mention feather dance in the last set it's fast enough to use it and can stall out a surprising number of physical threats with it. Toxic should also probably be slashed in for people that do not want to rely on hypnosis's horrific accuracy.

12. Spoovo The Pirate

Toxic and Featherdance, ae? Sure thing.

As for the optical illusion thing... I can't see it? *shrugs*