1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi there, Guest!

We have been having issues with server connections lately, and you may have been disconnected immediately after trying to join the server.
    If you try and rejoin the server a second time, this should resolve your problems. If this does not, only then should you post about the matter.

If you are using the webclient, a prompt will likely appear, stating the following:
    "Could not connect to the server. It could be offline, the address could be invalid, or you might have trouble connecting. You will be taken back to the list of servers."
    Click "OK" when that prompt appears to be taken to the server list. If you then try to reconnect to the main server, it should allow you to connect.

If you think you have banned, due to not being able to connect after the second attempt, then please post an appeal in the Disciplinary Committee subforum. A link to the forum can be found here.

If none of this helped to resolve your issues, please follow the troubleshooting image here.
    Dismiss Notice

Frequently Asked Questions

Discussion in 'Help' started by Weavile, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: E.T., Zoroark
  1. Weavile

Weavile Phoenix

If you have a question about how things work it's likely you're not the first to ask it and it's also likely that the answer may lie here.

Getting Started

I can't connect to a server, what do? - There are a number of causes for this one.
    - If prompted for a password, and you haven't set one, it means the name you have chosen is already taken, please try another name.
    - If your connection was rejected without a password prompt that indicates a connection problem on your end. Common culprits are firewall programs and routers. Disable your firewall or allow Pokémon Online and Port 5080 to pass through. For routers, you may need to forward a port. See this guide to port forwarding for instructions.
    - If you are given a message saying "you are banned" and have not been on PO before, it's likely you are caught in an accidental range-ban. Post a thread here and an owner will help you with this problem.

How do I make my own server? - There's a handy guide to follow here. If you have followed that guide, and still need further technical help, try posting in the Help subforum.

How do I catch Pokémon? - Pokémon are not caught on the simulator, pressing Ctrl+O will open the Teambuilder (you can also use File>Open Teambuilder), the Teambuilder will let you have any Pokémon with any moves, EVs, IVs, Item, Nature etc.

My team is invalid, what do? - There are a few reasons your team may be "invalid" these include;
    - Your Pokémon have no moves, check, it's more common than you think.
    - The Generation of your team doesn't match the tier you're trying to join. To change a team's Generation go to the Teambuilder and open the "Gen" menu and select your desired Generation.
    - Your Pokémon may just be banned in the tier you're trying to enter, the bot will tell you the Pokémon in your team that is invalid.
    -Your Pokémon may be using a move/item/ability/move combination that is banned or not released for the current generation. Usually when attempting to change to a tier in which said elements are not allowed, the bot displays said reasons, but for quicker reference here's a small list of causes that could make your team invalid:

*Evasion moves/items (Double team, minimize, Lax Incense, Bright Powder, etc)
    *Accuracy alteration moves (Sand Attack, Kinesis, etc)
    *Moves that only induce confusion (Confuse Ray, Tetter Dance, Swagger, etc)
    *Gems: All gems except normal gem are banned/unreleased. Which could make your team invalid.

I keep getting Pokémon I did not choose, why? - You have been defaulted into the Challenge Cup or Battle Factory tiers, this is likely because your team is invalid. Also make sure that when challenging someone, the "Challenge Cup" checkbox is not checked, as this would make you end up with random challenge cup teams. Refer to the previous question for information on that.

How do I make a team for N tier/How do I make my team for Gen K? - To make a team for a tier you need to have Pokémon that are all valid in the tier you are trying to play in, to make a team for UU for example you need to have Pokémon that are all legal in UU. To set a team to a tier so it will always enter that tier, type the name of the tier in the box on the "Load Team" window.
    In order to change the Generation of your team simply click the "Gen" menu on the team builder.

How do I stop people stealing my username? - This is known as "Registering" simply click the button next to "Find Battle" at the bottom of your client window that reads "Register", type your desired password in the box and hit enter, passwords are case sensitive.
    NOTE: When an username is registered, it is recommended to be used periodically in order to prevent it's password from being lost, if an username is left without any usage for a period of 6 months approximately, the server will automatically reset it's password, this could cause a potential misunderstanding leading to "someone stole my name".

What's a "PM" and how do I send one? - PM is an acronym for "Private Message".

For Windows Clients and Webclient: You may send a PM to someone by right clicking their name in the list of users and clicking the "Send Message" option, this will open a small window with a chat box, PMs can only be seen by yourself and the person you're sending it to unless they show someone else.

For Android Clients: This can be done by swiping to the right side on your phone screen, it will display the players list, search on the list for your desired user to PM, tap and hold their username and a small options window will pop up, tap on Send Message/Private message.

Why is Pokémon N allowed in tier K? - First of all check your tier and make sure you're in the right tier, it's possible you entered a higher tier than you anticipated. If you're in the right tier it's probably likely that you are used to Smogon's tier system which is different to Pokémon Online's. Also have in mind that from time to time, and due to suspect bans and unbans, certain pokemon can be moved from higher tiers to lower ones and vice versa. PO Tier lists can be found here.

What do the different Pokéballs mean and how do I get one? - Pokéballs show a user's 'status' a normal user who is not in a battle will have a standard red Pokéball. A user in a battle will have a blue coloured Pokéball while a user who is "Idle" will have a grey Pokéball. Different types of Pokéballs indicate a person's auth level. People will auth level 1 or "mods" will have a Great Ball, people with auth level 2 or "Admins" will have an Ultra Ball and people with auth level 3 or "Owners" will have a Master Ball. Obtaining these Pokéballs and in that case auth is a case of being a good user and being notably helpful for a reasonably long time.

How do I join and make channels? - Above the list of users there are 3 tabs, "Players", "Battles" and "Channels". In order to join a channel open the "Channels" tab and double click on the channel you wish to join. To make a channel type in the name of the channel you wish to create in the box at the bottom and hit enter. Be sure to type /register in your channel once it's created to stop people stealing it.

A faster way to create a channel is by typing /cjoin followed by the name of the channel you want to join or create. For example if you type /cjoin tournaments, it will send you to the tournaments channel instead of creating it, as it was created already, but typing something like /cjoin apple, will probably create a new channel because it has not been created before, it will display a message from which you can quickly access your newly created channel. Make sure to register it.

Why have I been muted/kicked? - If you have been muted or kicked it's likely you've disobeyed a server rule. Type /rules to view the server rules. If you wish to contest a mute and attempt to get it reversed send a PM to the person who muted you and take it up with them, we're usually quite lenient on first time offenders. Bare in mind that ignorance is no excuse for breaking the rules. If you have been banned you may appeal your ban in this forum

I cannot choose any move when I battle and the timer simply runs out - This is a common issue among Windows users, this can easily be fixed by disabling the Pokémon Cries on the Battle Options tab, if your computer does not have good graphic memory and if you are using the animated battle window, it is adviced that you use the old one, since it requires less graphic capacity.

For android users, and If I am not wrong, this can be changed by pressing the menu button on your phone and accessing the app settings to disable Pokémon Cries.

Battling and Tournaments

How do I battle another user? - There are two main ways in which you may battle another user. The primary way is through the "Find Battle" button, this button will match you up with another user in your tier in a rated game. This will affect your ladder score which you can check by simply typing "/ranking" into the chat.

The secondary method is by manual challenges:

For Windows Clients: To challenge a user double click (or right click) on their username in the names list on your client window and fill in the battle conditions you want on the pop-up window.
    For Android Clients: Swipe to the Right to display the players list, then tap and hold their username, next tap on challenge and fill in the conditions for your challenge.
    For Webclient: All you have to do is click on the player you want to challenge -once- and it will pop up the window in which you can put your challenge conditions.

Note: Players who are "Idle" cannot receive challenges and it is not advised to repeatedly challenge the same person after they reject your challenge.

How do I mega-evolve my Pokémon? - This is done by giving your Pokémon the appropriate Mega Stone in the team builder, once you send the Pokémon out you will see a button under your four moves that reads "Mega Evolution" press this button and then select a move, at the start of the turn (before any moves are conducted) the Pokémon will turn into its mega form. Speed values will be based on the Pokémon's original form for the turn it mega evolves in.

What's a tier? - A tier is a way of sorting Pokémon into a sort of power level system. OU is the first tier, it contains Pokémon that are above 4% usage on the OU ladder, UU is the tier below which contains Pokémon above 4% usage on the UU ladder, and below 4% usage on the OU ladder. Along with usage based tiers there are also ban lists from tiers known as Ubers, BL, BL2 and BL3. Ubers is the Pokémon banned from OU because they were deemed too powerful for OU, BL is the Pokémon banned from UU and so on. More can be found HERE

What is a clause? - A clause is a special condition/rule placed on a battle that (with the exception of Wifi Clause and Challenge Cup clause) restricts what players can do in a battle. Here's a small explanation of the current clauses:

-Moody Clause: This rule strictly prohibits the usage of the Moody ability in main tiers, this ability can only be used in tiers such as Anything Goes or challenge cup.
    -Sleep Clause: You cannot put to sleep more than one Pokémon on your opponent's team, self induced sleep is not included in this clause.
    -Self KO Clause: The player automatically loses if his last Pokémon uses Selfdestruct or Explosion. Destiny Bond and Perish Song also fail when used by the last Pokémon. Also works with Rough Skin/Iron Barbs.
    -Species Clause: The player cannot use two or more of the same Pokémon in the same team. Example: Two Arceus, two arcanine, three venusaur.
    -Confusion Clause: Forbids the usage of Pure confusion moves. Attract moves also fall within this clause.

How do I join a Tournament? - Tournaments are events run by the server and managed by Megausers. These events are hosted in the #Tournaments channel. To join a tournament you simply have to have a team loaded that is valid for the tier the tournament is for and to type /join in the tournaments channel chat while the tournament is in signup phase.

If you do not have a team for a specific tournament, don't worry, we have sample team storage that will give you a team that matches the current tier in signups, if for example an ORAS OU tour is on signups phase, and you do not have such tier team, simply type /join and the server will give you an ORAS OU sample team. If the signups already ended but there are sub spots open, then type /getteam to get a sample team and /join to join during subs phase.

When is the next tournament (for N tier)? - Tournaments are run in a queue system, this queue is stocked with up to 6 tournaments, typing /queue in the tournaments channel chat will show you the list. The tournaments are started when the current ones finish, there is no organisation to what tiers are added to the queue, it is entirely up to the megausers which tours they add. The exception to this is event tournaments which run every 6 hours at 3am, 9am, 3pm and 9pm (GMT+0).

My opponent in the Tournament is not around, what do I do? - The tournament system will disqualify inactive users, simply post in the tournaments chat a couple times and your opponent will be disqualified after 3 minutes and 20 seconds if they are inactive.

When I try to challenge my Opponent it says "Invalid Gen", what do I do? - This is a typical error with most android app users, sometimes the app doesn't update any change on your opponent's side and can think that their tier is not correct, to solve this, all you have to do is disconnecting from server and reconnect as soon as possible to avoid a Disqualification, then change to the according tier and challenge your opponent, if this doesn't work, request your opponent to do the same steps you did. In most cases this should fix the issue, if none of that work, make sure your android/windows program is up to date and repeat the steps again.

The Tier System

Introduction
    The most simple-to-understand introduction to our tier system can be found HERE.

As a competitive community we separate our enormous pool of resources into things we like to call "tiers", tiers are a way of sorting Pokémon based on their power level and popularity. Creating a system where in each tier you can use Pokémon that are placed up to and in that tier. Having multiple tiers allows for the effective use of a very wide range of Pokémon, think about it. If we had no tiers all we'd be able to play is what is currently known as the Ubers metagame. So instead of that we have the system of tiers that goes OU, UU, LU, and NU. These tiers are all usage based and are considered the main tiers.

How are tiers decided?
    Tiers are decided in two ways, the first and primary way is through usage statistics, more to the point they are decided by "Ranked Stats", this means that Pokémon used by people under 1050 points are not counted, to prevent bot forfeiting or similar things affecting the stats. This means that a Pokémon's usage in each tier affects where it will be placed. If a Pokémon is used on over 4% of teams in OU it will be considered an OU Pokémon and banned from all tiers under OU. Similarly if a Pokémon is used in more than 4% of teams in UU it will become UU and banned in all tiers under UU, this 4% cutoff continues for the other tiers except NU which has no lower cutoff as there is nothing below it. Information regarding usage stats can be found HERE.

The second method through which tiers are decided is through banlists. These banlists are named Ubers, BL, BL2 and BL3, these are the Pokémon banned from OU, UU, LU and NU respectively. The process of banning a Pokémon from a tier is known as "suspecting". This process involves a Pokémon being put up for discussion by the community, if a resounding verdict is reached on whether or not to ban it, it will be implimented into the tier. Many suspects also end in a suspect vote. This entails as you might think, a vote. People are allowed to vote if they meet the ladder ranking requirement or gain special permissions from the tier leaders of that tier.

If you want to know more about the tiers and suspect discussion, you can visit this thread. There is also the Guide to Tiers thread which may provide more information.

"Metagame"?

The word metagame has two primary meanings. The first meaning is a tier that is not defined by usage, things such as XY LC, Monotype and 1v1 fall into this category, although these metagames often adopt the banlist from OU where appropriate with some notable exceptions, they are not affected by standard tier changes without their own consideration and often have their own set of banned Pokémon or items.

The second meaning to the word is the state of a tier or metagame, the metagame is what is effective and common in the tier. For example the NU metagame at the time of writing this consists of Spike Stacking / balanced offense. This is what is currently effective and common in the tier. This definition is rather shaky and everyone will have their own way of explaining it.

What is a Tier Leader?
    Tier leaders are appointed staff who run the tiers or metagames they are assigned to. They are usually well known players or experts of their tier. It is a tier leader's responsibiliy to listen to his or her tier's community and organise things such as suspect discussions and voting threads.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2016
  2. Zoroark

Zoroark HyperDeath God Forum Moderator Server Moderator Forum Moderator Server Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    SkyPhoenix / Zoroark
    The Android Client

An extensive guide to the android client written by SkyPhoenix can be found here
    La versión en español de la guía se encuentra aquí

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  3. Xerxes Break

Xerxes Break Yes~ I'm a man that likes Purple and lollipops~

PO Trainer Name:
    Tomoe Ayakashi
    [​IMG]I'm not sure if you listed it but if you did tell me anyway plz :P ~ How do I find the general chat? ~ " Verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry important to me "

4. Zoroark

Zoroark HyperDeath God Forum Moderator Server Moderator Forum Moderator Server Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    SkyPhoenix / Zoroark
    I'm going to assume that by "General Chat" you're talking about the main channel on PO server, and well, when you log into main server you actually log into the "General Chat" aswell, known as "Tohjo Falls".

5. E.T.

E.T. OHHHH YES!!! Tier Leader Channel Leader Articles Leader Tier Leader Channel Leader Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    A Guide to Tiers offers additional information about the main tiers in a concise format.

6. Zoroark

PO Trainer Name:
    SkyPhoenix / Zoroark
    I'll ask someone to give me the thread permissions so I can just link the guide on that section.

7. E.T.

E.T. OHHHH YES!!! Tier Leader Channel Leader Articles Leader Tier Leader Channel Leader Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    A more up to date FAQ can be found here.

Zoroark likes this.
Moderators: E.T., Zoroark
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.