1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Other] Pokemon Online vs Pokemon Showdown

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Manadeel, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Manadeel

Manadeel New Member

I need help choosing between both, I like Pokemon Showdown because it's on the web and you'll easily switch tabs when you need help deciding something and since I'm new to competitive Pokemon this helps alot, but then again the community in Pokemon Showdown is horrible, so which is better?

2. Professor Oak

Professor Oak same Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    Both simulators have their advantages and disadvantages. In my post, I'll be using PO to mean Pokemon Online, and PS! to mean Pokemon Showdown! Also, please note that some of my information about Pokemon Showdown! might be outdated, as I don't visit it too often. Finally, note that I am an admin here at PO, so naturally I'm going to be a bit biased towards PO. I will try to be as fair as possible under these circumstances, but I'd really like someone with a large knowledge of PS! to also answer this question to provide an alternative to my post.

The main advantage PO has over PS! are the inclusion of all Generations of play - you can play RBY, GSC, RSE (aka Advance), DPPHGSS and Black / White 2. It also includes each sub-generation for each main generation - by this I mean that it has a seperate listing for Black / White, and a seperate listing for Black 2 and White 2. PS! does have these features planned, though.

PO also has Triple Battles, something PS! lacks. Neither simulator has implemented Rotation Battles at this time. PS! plans to add Triple Battles, and both simulators have plans to add Rotation Battles. I'm unsure when either simulator intends to add them.

Also on PO, for people who do not wish to play Pokemon constantly, there are multiple channels of conversation. You can create your own channels as you wish, and invite your friends to your channels. There is a main chat channel - Tohjo Falls on the main PO server - but you do not need to be limited to it at all! On top of this, there are multiple games found on the main PO Server, including server tournaments, Mafia games, Trivia and the newly added Hangman game. There is also a Blackjack channel run by on of the PO Admin's bots.

Both simulators have multiple active ladders for multiple tiers. PO uses its own tiers, whereas PS! uses Smogon's tiers. There are a few differences between the two sets of tiers, most notably in the lower tiers. For reference: PO's Wifi LU Tier is the equivalent of Smogon's RU tier. All other tiers are named the same. Smogon's tiers are more widely accepted than PO's, I've noticed.

Both simulators actively add new event Pokemon as they are released, as well as new event moves. This also includes any Dream World abilities - they are added almost as soon as they are released to the public.

Both simulators are open-source. This means you can view the entire source code of the simulators at any time over on github, and even help out by contributing to the simulators if you wish to!

PS! arguably has the better battlers in its Generation 5 ladders. That comes naturally to PS!, as it is officially endorsed by Smogon, one of the biggest competitive Pokemon sites in the world. The battlers on PO are also of a good quality, but you are more likely to find some challenging battles on PS!.

PS! has animated sprites and move animations programmed into it. This is a feature that is being added to PO right now, and quite a few move animations have already been added to PO's "New Battle Window". However, not all moves are complete, whereas PS! has already got these animations added. Both battle windows have a similar look to them, so it's personal preference which you prefer. I'm unsure if PS! has added an option to disable animations yet, but I know that is planned for PO.

PS! is a webclient - you load up the website, and you can play. Whether or not this is an advantage over downloading the PO client is up to you. I have heard a lot of criticism about the way PS! saves teams and other options, but that is a minor concern overall. It is worth noting that PO is currently working on its own webclient - a beta version can be found in the latest news post, I think.

PS! also has its own unique features, most notably its battle modes and ladders. Smogon's CAP project (Create-A-Pokémon) has its own ladder on the official server on PS!, and various other modes such as "Glitchmons" and "Hackmons". More information on those and FAQs about PS! can be found by clicking these words. Each of those modes has their own ladder on PS!'s official server.

There has been criticism over both simulators' team builders. I'd recommend just using both of them and making your own judgements.

There are probably things I'm forgetting about both simulators. There are also multiple features planned for each simulator that I have not listed, mostly as I'm unaware of the planned features of PS!
    I hope this post helps, but do not take this post as your only way of deciding which you should use. In the end, it is entirely your decision. Both Pokemon Online and Pokemon Showdown! are fantastic simulators, and whether you use one over the other or use both is entirely up to you.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  3. Metal Sonic

Metal Sonic It's no use!

I'd like to add on some points:

PS! teams are based on browser cookies, which means that if you delete your cookies or use a different browser your teams are gone, meanwhile PO's teams are stored in files which means your teams will never be lost unless you reformat your computer.

PS! can 'backup' your teams by showing you the importables of all teams at once and then copy-pasting it in text to store your teams, but PO can only 'backup' one team at a time using this method. Instead, you can transfer the files manually by thumbdrive

PS! Has a larger variation of players compared to PO -- You will see top battlers more often in PS! but also terrible players, while in PO the bell curve is slightly smaller.

PS! has 'EV suggestion' based on your Pokemon's moveset and base stats, which suggests a suitable spread for your Pokemon, while PO does not have this feature. However, this feature is targeted at newer beginners or lazy players, and more experienced or skilled players will not need it.

And as Professor Oak said, we are providing information to help you make a better decision on which Simulator you should use. In the end, it is still your choice. I very much would prefer to use both.

Dear Oak, do you think you could sticky this thread, it is a very useful thread for a frequently-asked-question.

4. ajhockeystar

ajhockeystar Proud Canadian

PO Trainer Name:
    ajhockeystar
    Another thing to add, on PS people host their own tournaments (including me). This could mean that there are no tournaments at all when it isn't a peak hour, and it could mean that you could be playing new tiers, such as, some that I host, monoletter, anime character, rentals, mirror, and nuzlocke tournaments. The server doesn't host any tournaments like PO does.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  5. Virizion

Virizion ~ Taste the Rainbow ~

PO Trainer Name:
    Virizion
    I will also like to add the following:

- PO is very rarely under maintenace, thanks to good organisation of creating a backup server, more updates, along with an Android App.
    - Both simulators however, have mentioned an Apple App suitable for the iPod Touch, iPhone, and iPad.
    - PS! Also includes the CAP tier (Create-A-Pokémon), involving the community to help and design / create new Pokémon.