1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

What is your pick for the best game ever?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by B. Rizzo, May 9, 2010.

1. B. Rizzo

B. Rizzo A relic of the past, given new life.

PO Trainer Name:
    B. Rizzo
    For me, its Super Mario 64, a classic game with many revolutionary concepts. Timeless in my opinion.

2. Jules

Jules i make you MANGRY

Super Mario World.

yes it is the best

3. Kioku

Kioku Member

Thief. Not enough people have played it or heard of it, but it invented stealth-based gameplay and is a masterpiece in and of itself. People should check it out if they haven't.

4. Professor Oak

Professor Oak same Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    Digimon World 1. No joke.

Okay, slight joke, although I am a big fan of that game. Super Mario World gets my backing also.

5. Steve

Steve Active Member Administrator Server Owner Administrator Server Owner

Spyro the Dragon.

6. zeroality

zeroality Artificial Insanity

Tactics Ogre is way up there on my list. They just recently released an english patch for the SNES version so you aren't stuck with the inferior psx port.

It's a game in a similar vein to Final Fantasy Tactics but has multiple storyline options that change the outcome of the game, giving it a much higher replay value.

7. Ozma

Ozma Grunt in the machine

Final Fantasy VII here, followed by Chrono Trigger. Both are timeless classics that any RPG fan should at least play once.

8. B. Rizzo

B. Rizzo A relic of the past, given new life.

PO Trainer Name:
    B. Rizzo
    Another plug for me would be Omega Boost. Its a mech/FPS type shooter that takes place in space, not many people heard of it, but its one of the most fulfilling games i've ever played. Also, I feel Jules and Kioku on Super Mario World. Good stuff right there.

9. nmilkosky

nmilkosky asdf

Star Fox 64. Ridiculous amounts of fun have been had.

10. Hectord25

Hectord25 Member

Well, Final Fantasy IX, was an awesone experience.

11. Bluff

Bluff Member

100% agreed.
    Well, either that or Ratchet and Clank.

UPDATE: I hereby revoke this statement. This morning, an aquintance casually mentioned a game I'd long forgotten, somewhat overlooked through the years and (in my opinion) the best game EVER.

Rayman 2: The Great Escape. It's the game that introduced me to gaming, and I'd give anything to play it again.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  12. Akusu

Akusu Guest

I'm enjoying Darksiders right now.

I think the best games I've played so far (unless Darksiders unseats it) are the God of War series. My favorite games from my youth include Super Mario Bros (GB) and Battle Arena Toshinden 3 (PS1).

Diablo 2 was damned awesome too.

13. Ginku

Ginku Banned

Not easy, but i vote vote for Metroid prime 2 Echoes, beacause its epic.

14. Erebos

Erebos Banned

Age of Empires II (and its expansion) for real-time.

Civilisation II: Test of Time for a turn-based game.

15. Avi

Avi Member

I liked Super Dodgeball Advance (GBA)

NO SUPPORT FOR LEGEND OF ZELDA: OCARINA OF TIME????????????? WHATS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE

16. Ginku

Ginku Banned

Its not that its bad or anything, its just not the mindblowing experience everyone is talking about. It´s one of the best games, but not the best.

I cant wait for galaxy 2, maybe it takes the thrown. (its released tomorrow, here)

EDIT: I started today, and it certainly has the potential.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  17. Professor Oak

Professor Oak same Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    Ocarina Of Time and Final Fantasy VII are both so over-hyped it's unbelievable.

Age of Empires II was awesome. However, I don't think it's really a candidate for best game ever.
    Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2 was awesome, especially it's expansion "Yuri's Revenge". Me and a friends lost many afternoons kicking ass on that game. Still, I also wouldn't say that's a candidate for best game ever either.

If there was going to be any Legend of Zelda game that I reckon should be nominated for best game ever, it should be either Majora's Mask or A Link to the Past.

18. Akusu

Akusu Guest

Highly agreed on RA2. RA3 doesn't measure up =/

I like Seasons and Ages for the GBC myself...

19. Erebos

Erebos Banned

ah, I'm a strategy game maniac, having grown up under a professional chess player, so I chose AoE ^^ Red Alert was indeed amazing.

My choice for an RPG... The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion was probably the most mindblowing game experience ever. Anyone who's not played it is missing out on a game considered universally to be one of the top 5 games of all time.

Certainly not something zelda related, I agree on the fact that they're overrated. Dragon Age: Origins is new, but it has great potential, as well.

As a first person shooter seriers, Halo is amazing. I hate this kind of game, but admittedly, I've played all of the Halo ones.

20. Akusu

Akusu Guest

I was put off by the graphics in Oblivion. Oooh pretty water. Ass everything else. Going too realistic to me just highlights that it's CGI.

21. Tickle

Tickle New Member

Avalon Code. It's really underrated. I severly hope they make a sequel.

22. Hodou Masaka

Hodou Masaka Member

My votes are for Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask despite the whole thread apparently disagreeing. :P From an artistic standpoint, it was a revolutionary work of art -- it was arguably the first game to master the art of atmosphere, by using scenery, NPCs, and even music to fill each scene with emotions that stretched far beyond the "You have to survive!" or "You are in a volcano area!" It was the first game I ever played that I could find emotionally significant -- it would make you happy, sad, and even scared with little effort.

Of course, I'm one of those "Games as art" nerds, you know? My opinion just shows how pathetic I am. :P

Well my favorite game of all time is Mother 3. OF ALL TIME. I just acknowledge that the gameplay of that isn't good enough for it to be "the best."

23. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

Wow, so many choices for a nerd such as myself xD. For RPGs, I'll have to say Mother 3. That game was amazing, and...basically what Hodou said applies. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is an extremely good game as well.

As for an RTS game, Hearts of Iron 2. The ultimate WW2 simulator, you can literally play as any nation. You want to attempt to rule the world as the Russians? Maybe Germany, correcting their mistakes in the war? Or perhaps Ethiopia? Go for it! :)

And I just want to say: Link's Awakening for best Zelda ever, just because of Ballad of the Wind Fish!

24. Luck>Skill

Luck>Skill Well-Known Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Luck>Skill
    Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn is the best RPG i've ever played
    My favourite RTS is Age of Mythology
    My favourite FPS is Bioshock (i also loved Dead Space, but i don't like FPS much, so i didn't played many)
    My favourite action is...well i played many and i loved all of them, i will go for Devil May Cry's saga, with Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden (i had the chapter for Sega Master System <3)

The best game ever? I don't know, i think that there isn't the best, there are games that you can like or dislike, it's up for you.

25. Sleuth

Sleuth Member

Like Kioku, I also like Thief. I have to say though, my absolute all time favourite game has got to be The Elder Scrolls Four; Oblivion. What a masterpiece.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  26. Erebos

Erebos Banned

IV is actually Four ^^

currently re-running through Oblivion with some new mods enabled, like some awesome custom races. This game will only be surpassed when Elder Scrolls V comes out.

27. Bluff

Bluff Member

My heart skipped a beat at the thoughts of a fifth one. Too bad there's no word on it...

28. AndyRease

AndyRease Member

I loved Donkey Kong Country I and II as a kid, played the all the time until I finished a 100% in both games. Have taken them up again now and played them through and it is so fun to rediscover all of the hidden secrets.

EDIT: And yes, they are both my picks for best game ever.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  29. Ginku

Ginku Banned

Off Topic:
    Donkey kong country returns is announced for wii in winter, in case you didnt know.

Also from the e3 are (though this is old news obv): New zelda, new kirby, moar metroid infos (neeeeeeeed), DS successor (with 3D but without glasses, called 3DS)
    and a new kid icarus for it.

And still, metroid prime 2 owns the shit outta everything else.

My FAVORITE (not best) game is Okami btw. Its sooooo cool, and the reason we need a yamata no orochi pokemon.

/Off topic

30. Sleuth

Sleuth Member

Heh, point well made Gold ^^

Custom races sound awesome. I have very limited computer experience, so I can't really play anything outside of the main game though.
    The Shivering Isles are really not that interesting, to be honest. I was quite disapointed.

31. callaw

callaw New Member

My favourite game is proberly simcity 4 (I am a simulation nut
    My favourite rpg is proberly Demon's souls at the moment it's also my favourite game this generation (for all the who call it hard I defeated the maneaters and flamelurker on my fast try while my starting class was a theif)

32. Gtfo

Gtfo blinded

Mine is Chrono Trigger. I just love it. I also like a lot all the Kingdom Hearts games.

33. Monster Tamer

Monster Tamer New Member

I have absoloutley no clue what this hasd to do with pokemon but I do have an answer.

Little big planet is an awesome game that never ends. Mario Galaxy 2 is also there for best game with Red steel 2 and no more heros.

If the answer to this question depends on the system you want to use and thew type of game you want to play like on Ps3 it's god of war 3

34. Cake

Cake Member

Crystal brought up in the other thread Time Splitters. Awesome series. Forgot all about. One of if not the best console shooters. Knight Of the Old Republic is one of the best RPGS of all time. Both games. Second only if you count restored mod which you should if you're not a jew.

Ninja Gaiden is one of my fave's.

35. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

Such a good game...but so many controllers thrown around out of rage...

36. Cake

Cake Member

I meant the newer ones in case you're talking about the SNES ones but yeah. I only got to play it on like super easy : /. Computer died shortly after I got it and I sold my Xbox to buy a new one.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  37. pokemonnerd

I am talking about the SNES ones. Never played the newer ones, though...gonna have to look into that.

Oh, and inb4consolewar. If it doesn't happen, I'd be surprised.

38. Pacman/demolish

Pacman/demolish New Member

The legend of Zelda: Wind Waker all the way up. the game is so good that i cried at the xxxxxx.

xxxxxx: ending

39. meztips

meztips The name is Bond.

Banjo Kazooie was a great game. Too bad Nuts and Bolts ruined how the games used to be. :/

40. HeroOfSinnoh

HeroOfSinnoh Banned

Fire Emblem : Dawn of Radiance will occupy my hearts best game prize forever.