1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Skeleton] Gen 5 1v1 Cloyster

Discussion in 'Gen 5 1v1 Analyses' started by Dr. Fuji, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Dr. Fuji

Dr. Fuji Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Dr. Fuji
    ==General==
    *High defense but offset by low hp/special defense.
    *Access to two strong Skill Link boosted multihit moves (one is STAB).
    *Access to a STAB priority move.
    *Middling speed.
    *Middling attack.
    *Access to one of the best boosting moves in the game.

==Standard==
    Cloyster (M) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Skill Link
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly/Adamant Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)/(+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Ice Shard
    - Rock Blast
    - Icicle Spear
    - Shell Smash

*Two Skill Link boosted multihit moves make Cloyster very useful against Sashed/Sturdy/Multiscale Pokemon.
    *Icicle Spear is Cloysters strongest attacking option hitting 125 base power with STAB.
    *Rock Blast while lacking STAB provides good coverage, is a multihit move and still hits 125 base power.
    *Ice Shard might seem weird when the other two moves can break Sashed/Sturdy/Multiscale but it's quite necessary for outspeeding other priority when you're down do your sash.
    *Shell Smash is a useful move that can boost your stats to very high levels however it will probably be the least used move on the set you should only Shell Smash in a few occasions such as if you predict a protect, they use destiny bond, sub or something like that.

==Other Options==
    *A water type attack such as Hydro Pump, Razor Shell, Surf can all be used over Rock Blast/Ice Shard this gives you more coverage and a stronger general move but the utility of the other options generally outweigh the benefits of a water STAB.
    *A Choice Scarf might seem stupid but can be very effective on Cloyster allowing you to outspeed more and attack before you are hit.
    *Spike Cannon is another multihit move Cloyster has access to but generally has too low coverage to be considered really only hitting Keldeo harder then the other options.
    *King's Rock can be used for a pretty large Flinch chance but Cloyster generally relies on its sash.
    *Endure can be used for guaranteeing a hit and alleviating some of the dangers Fake Out users pose pairing with a Custap Berry is recommended.

==Checks & Counters==
    -Fake Out users can break Cloyster's Sash and it usually cannot survive the next hit.
    -Pokemon with a faster priority move that can live a hit usually come out ahead.
    -Will-o-Wisp users.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  2. KM007

KM007 Banned

Mention King's Rock in OO, I've seen it run before and it's crazy.

3. Dr. Fuji

Dr. Fuji Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Dr. Fuji
    Added to OO.

4. iBlue

iBlue New Member

PO Trainer Name:
    iBlue/El Testo
    c&c needs will o wisp

5. Dr. Fuji

Dr. Fuji Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Dr. Fuji
    Done.

6. KM007

KM007 Banned

"Fake out users can break the sash and cloyster usually cannot survive the next hit"

In some cases not all as it has 180 base defense, it usually can tank a weaker mon like ambipom or something and possibly hariyama and then it shell smashes and wins. Put Some fake out users can break the sash and KO cloyster because it can beat some of them, sometimes without even a ss

7. Fille

Fille True GenderBender

PO Trainer Name:
    N/A
    Add on endure over ice shard too, as it's good for fake out+hydro cannon shenanigans (I've met quite many of those things e.e

8. Dr. Fuji

Dr. Fuji Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Dr. Fuji
    Guts Hariyama easily 1HKOs, Ambipom sure but if you read what I said
    I think it's fine.

I can stick it in OO but I don't think it's the best move unless they are using a recharge move otherwise there is a good chance they will outspeed or use priority on you anyways you could use it with a Custap I suppose.

9. Fille

Fille True GenderBender

PO Trainer Name:
    N/A
    Would be cool :P

10. KM007

KM007 Banned

what about non guts hariyama some people run lefties.

11. Disaster Area

Disaster Area Badged Deucer

PO Trainer Name:
    Disaster Area
    It is in my experience playing against it a very good set, though bulky defensive Pokémon like Deoxys-D which may be able to survive 2 attacks even after a shell smash might potentially counter it, but I wouldn't totally advise it.

12. Disaster Area

PO Trainer Name:
    Disaster Area
    I'm going to add this Pokémon to the wiki, taking into account all that has been said thus far, as well as noting the potential benefit of lum berry (Brelooms are otherwise a deadly threat too, and they share the same base speed stat).
    Currently tho first I'm going to test a choice band set, since it's much less bothered by sash users, but with a scarf, it's far too weak for 1v1.

13. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

So you're going to post this on PO Wiki then?

14. Sakuya Izayoi

Sakuya Izayoi love to hate

Might want to add that Scarf Jirachi is one of the best checks for Cloyster, being able to trick a scarf to Cloyster as it shell smashes, causes Cloyster to be locked into Shell Smash.

15. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

Just going to say that Mewthree won't be back for a while... so we're going to need someone to be able to edit the OP.

16. Disaster Area

PO Trainer Name:
    Disaster Area
    I think, when I have time, I'll add the shell smash set, I'll take in all your advice, and I'll add the choice sets under 'other options'.