1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Skeleton] Mewtwo

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Ubers Analyses' started by Slowkii, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Slowkii

Slowkii Banned

This is my first contribution, so if I get something wrong, let me know and I can fix it and learn!

Mewtwo
    [​IMG]

==General==
    -Works as a great wallbreaker
    -High speed, Base 130 - Outspeeds thought-to-be checks like Darkrai, Gengar and Arceus.
    -High Special Attack. Base 154 - Allows this to destroy walls like Chansey.
    -Good late game cleanup pokemon, although it is weak to sashes.
    -Can't live very long after priority hits due to the common held item life orb.
    -Quite Frail but VERY powerful.

==Calm Mind==
    Mewtwo @ Life Orb / Lum Berry
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 4 SDef / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
    -Psystrike
    -Ice Beam / Substitute
    -Aura Sphere
    -Calm Mind

Set Comments:
    -Great Coverage, perfect for lategame sweeps.
    -Best supported by hazards - weak to focus sashes.
    -Whenever opponent attempts to switch, a Calm Mind makes a formidable opponent, KO'ing bulky pokemon like Groudon, Latias, and Ho-Oh.
    -Easily killed by ferrothorn - Leech Seed paired with Life Orb damage takes a massive toll, not to mention how you cant OHKO without Choice Specs.
    -Scarfed Kyogre can easily KO with surf.
    -Substitute to avoid statuses, but less coverage.

==Crippler==
    Mewtwo @ Expert belt
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
    -Ice Beam
    -Psystrike
    -Aura Sphere
    -Flame Thrower

Set Comments:
    -Early game meant to KO and weaken pokemon to allow other power pokemon cleanup lategame; Such as Choice Scarf Kyogre, E-Killer Arceus and Rayquazza.
    -Great Coverage - A powerful combination has great coverage, especially in ubers, and the Stab Psystrike to boot.
    -Requires hazards to cripple successfully
    -Weak to Priorities
    -Great coverage takes advantage of Ebelt

==Specs==
    Mewtwo @ Choice Specs
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
    -Fire Blast / Flamethrower
    -Focus Blast / Aura Sphere
    -Ice Beam
    -Psyshock

Set Comments:
    -Basically a wall breaker.
    -Good check for many pokemon that could otherwise sweep the team. If you have problems with scarfers, use scarf set.
    -Can use its massive speed to kill anything it its way - unless scarfers.
    -Will probably kill NFE switch ins.
    -If you feel you miss too much, use the weaker slashes.

==StallTwo==
    Mewtwo @ Leftovers / Lum berry

Other Options
    -Physical set - Choice band can work. Viable Phys Moves - Zen Heabutt, Fire Punch, Thunder Punch, Ice Punch, Brick Break, Bulk up, Earthquake, Stone Edge, Aqua Tail, Return.

Checks And Counters
    -Kyogre the most used uber pokemon - and a choiced surf is the end of ANY mewtwo.
    -Arceus Ghost can be a problem - Although it cannot OHKO it can still tank the hit.
    -Lugia - Using its great bulk and psystrike resistance, it can toxic stall with recover while recycling MultiScale.
    -Scarf Genesect - 1 u-turn is all that's needed

Thanks for reading, tell me if I have made any big mistakes!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  2. Dr. Fuji

Dr. Fuji Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Dr. Fuji
    Mewtwo can also run Choiced sets, a Defensive Pressure stalling set, Sub Calm Mind and Taunt Calm Mind very well I believe they deserve sets or at the minimum an OO mention. Also on your lead set I don't think you need both Taunt and Magic Bounce as they accomplish similar things I think Magic Bounce would be the better move as I can't imagine people expecting it on Mewtwo and it allows you to send Spore/Dark Void back at the opponent taunt is still an option but I would at least slash it with a coverage move.

3. Spoovo The Pirate

Spoovo The Pirate Meep! Article Contributor Article Contributor

Would it be worth slashing Fire Blast on the first set, as a better means of removing Ferrothorn outside of rain?

Also, Mewtwo can run physical sets that take basically everyone by surprise. Sure, it's highly redundant now, thanks to the addition of Psystrike, but it's worthy of OO at least, I think?

EDIT: Also, the attachment made me lol. xD

Attached Files:

4. ZoroDark

ZoroDark i know everything

Wow, no StallTwo... That set is so amazing though. I strongly suggest that you add a StallTwo set, it's way more common than its anti-lead set which frankly sucks and is a waste of Mewtwo's potential. I personally believe it has to go, I'm curious what the Ubers QCs have to tell about this.
    As far as other things go: Remove the mention of Focus Sashes in the set comments of set 1 Ferrothorn does NOT beat Mewtwo in any way, as you seem to suggest in the set comments. LO Boosted Aura Sphere will do a ton of damage, not to mention you can just set up a CM and go to town. This is even more true for Arceus-Water whom you list as as a C&C. It's massive fodder. Remove the Mention of Choice Band Arceus, it's never seen. Arceus-Ghost will take huge amounts of Psystrike unless Physically Defensive (CM won't soften either), so it's a soft check at best. Add Choice Scarf Genesect high on the list of Checks, since it's probably the best one in the whole of Ubers.
    Then the sets themselves: I think you need to go more in depth in the set comments section. Slash Fire Blast next to Aura Sphere on set 1. Make mention of Recover and Substitute. Get rid of Lum Berry as main item, instead add Leftovers. Set 2: Slash Aura Sphere in front of Flamethrower. Slash Taunt in front of Thunder(bolt), Thunder(bolt) isn't hitting anything that isn't hit hard enough by another move. Make mention of Substitute again. Remove ALL of your Other Options, they're all too bad to be even in OO, except for the Grass Knot one.
    Tbh, Mewtwo is a pretty damn hard poke to write a complete analysis about it, so choosing that as your first analysis probably wasn't the best idea.

5. Slowkii

Slowkii Banned

For stalltwo, would recover, Sub, psychic, aura sphere do? Of course if you don't have toxic spikes, you could remove aura for toxic.

I will fix this all after I get back from school.

changes to make

Add in subcm, fix OO, add to checks/counters, remove lead set, add choice set, add physical set, stalltwo set.

6. Dr. Fuji

Dr. Fuji Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Dr. Fuji
    Stalltwo usually has Will-o-Wisp/Recover/Sub or Taunt/Light Screen or Psystrike. It's ment to abuse Pressure to make the opponent run out of PP while also supporting the team with Will-o-Wisp's and possible Light Screen's. I think the Physical set doesn't deserve more then an OO mention personally but do mention it.

7. KM007

KM007 Banned

specstwo please or scarftwo, also thunder/thunderbolt since kyogre is so common compared to groudon.

8. Bamarah

Bamarah "Baton Pass Elite"

Here's a spin on your Crippler set:

Mewtwo @Expert Belt
    Trait: Unnerve
    EVs: 4HP/252SAtk/252Spd
    Nature: Timid(+Spd,-Atk)
    - Aura Sphere
    - Flamethrower
    - Ice Beam
    - Psystrike[/HIDE]

Aura Sphere for Darkrai (Which OHKO if it's not Sashed), Dialga, & Normal Arceus since they're so common in the Ubers metagame. Flamethrower for Ferrothorn, if your opponent's Groudon brings the Sun it helps even more. Ice Beam takes care of Groudon, Skymin, & any other Dragon type. Psytrike just murders anything in its path as long as it's not a Dark type Pokémon.

Also, there's no recoil damage from Expert Belt unlike Life Orb which will kill your Mewtwo when you need it most.

9. Slowkii

Slowkii Banned

Will update this.

Also guys, how is it for first time?

10. Slowkii

Slowkii Banned

Updated some of this, will do rest ASAP...

11. Dr. Fuji

Dr. Fuji Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Dr. Fuji
    Definitely no to Blizzard on the Specs set, probably the biggest target of the move is Groudon who brings sun that makes Blizzard only 50% accurate.

12. NidoTheKing

NidoTheKing Father of the Year 2014!

PO Trainer Name:
    NidoTheKing78
    You should add ScarfTwo. It's one of the few sets that stops all of the counters bar Arceus-Ghost (Beats Scarf Pokemon ond Tricks Walls).

I run Psystrike; Aura Sphere; Ice Beam; Trick. You can make slashes anywhere.

13. eric the espeon

eric the espeon is an espeon.

There is already a Mewtwo analysis, how about focusing on what needs to be updated/added not trying to rewrite the whole thing?

Also, I'll be merging this thread into that one in the near future. I can give Slowkii second post for his suggested changes if requested.