1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Final] Elgyem

Discussion in 'Gen 5 LC Analyses' started by KM007, Mar 9, 2013.

1. KM007

KM007 Banned

Pre Copy-Edit version:
    [secret][​IMG]

==General==
    *Good Special Attack
    *Decent Bulk
    *Shallow but effective Attacking Movepool
    *Great support Movepool
    *Slow
    *Trick Room Support
    *Dual Screens Support

Elgyem. A very unique pokemon. At first glance you may think that it is outclassed by Abra or Slowpoke or Natu. However it isn't. It is very unique. It has good bulk, Abra on the other hand is a glass cannon, while slowpoke is a good wall Elgyem outclasses it and Natu is only good because of Magic Bounce while elgyem can do a lot more. Elgyem can run analytic for a free boost equivalent to LO while at the same time running Eviolite for great defenses or LO for very powerful attack. Natu while a good magic bouncer can't attack like Elgyem can. Slowpoke is almost Elgyem's equal but has a few more weaknesses with it's water typing though it does gain some resistances. Elgyem has a great support movepool, more than almost any pokemon in WiFi LC. Nasty Plot, Calm Mind, Thunder Wave, Recover, Dual Screens(Light Screen and Reflect), Trick Room, and Barrier to name but a few. Elegym happens to be slow compared to Abra and Natu but it can run Analytic or Trick Room to compensate for that. Also Natu can't attack well at all. Elgyem can also set up on the opponent while recovering since it has better bulk than a lot of the tier. It can also run Dual Screens Support set to help out your team a lot.

==Trick Room==
    Elegym (M) @ Eviolite
    Trait: Synchronize
    EV's: 236 SpA/236 Def
    Quiet Nature (+SpA -Spd)
    -Trick Room
    -Psychic
    -Calm Mind / Recover / Nasty Plot
    -Thunderbolt / Dark Pulse / Psyshock

Set Comments
    This set is one of elgyem's best sets. Trick Room can support a whole team of slower but powerful pokemon. Cubnoe, Machop, and Timburr are good examples of physical ones while special ones include Slowpoke and Porygon. It also helps defensive walls and hazard setters outspeed. Psychic hits most of the tier pretty hard and what it doesn't hit Thunderbolt usually does. You can choose to run Calm Mind, Recover, or Nasty Plot to fit your team. Nasty Plot for quick sweeping, Calm Mind for a more durable sweep, Recover for general survival. It's bulk will allow you to use any one of those. Dark Pulse can be an excellent coverage move. Psyshock can be used if your'e scared of special walls.

Set Synergy(All of these should use natures that decrease speed.)
    *Cubone
    *Guts or Iron Fist Timburr
    *No Guard Machop
    *Defensive Dwebble with Hazards and/or Toxic
    *Semi-Defensive Porygon
    *Banded/Life Orb Bagon
    *DeapSeaTooth Clamperl
    *Ferroseed

==Screens==
    Elgyem @ Eviolite/Light Clay
    Trait: Analytic
    EV's: 236 HP/236 SpD
    Modest Nature (+SpA -Atk) / Bold Nature (+Def - Atk)
    -Light Screen
    -Reflect
    -Psychic
    -Recover / Calm Mind / Nasty Plot / Dark Pulse

Set Comments
    This set is nearly unstoppable after getting screens up. With recover this is nearly impossible to kill but with Calm Mind or Nasty Plot your'e going to be safely doing a lot of damage. You can choose to use Dark Pulse instead if you want more coverage. Eviolite increases your defenses but Light Clay lets your screens stay around longer. Taunt and U-Turn can be a problem as can bulky status spreaders. Murkrow also makes Elgyem not do too well with it's huge movepool capable of crippling Elgyem.

Set Synergy
    *Bulk Up Max Special Defense Timburr
    *No Guard Bulk Up Machop
    *Eviolite Bulky Chinchou
    *Eviolite Bulky Porygon
    *Eviolite Wish+Dragon Dance Bagon
    *Bulky Eviolite Staryu

==Bulky 3 Attacks==
    Elgyem @ Eviolite / Life Orb
    Trait : Analytic
    EVs: 236 SpA/236 Def
    -Recover / Calm Mind / Nasty Plot
    -Thunderbolt
    -Psychic
    -Psyshock / Dark Pulse / Signal Beam

Set Comments
    This set is extremely powerful. It has amazing coverage It can literally hit the whole tier. It can choose recover to stick around longer or nasty plot or calm mind to boost it's stats depending on what you want to do. Life Orb and Analytic let it abuse extremely powerful attacks. With Life Orb Recover is highly reccomended as you probably don't need more power but you will need HP. This hits some of the toughest walls extremely hard after a boost. Recover is to stay around longer, Nasty Plot for a humungous Special Attack boost or Calm Mind to increase your Special Defense as well as Special Attack. You can easily KO 1 or 2 possibly more of your opponents pokemon. Psyshock can be used if your'e afraid of special walls but Dark Pulse and Signal Beam both give a little extra coverage.

Set Synergy
    *Sub Swords Dance Pawniard
    *Bulky SubRoost Murkrow
    *Defensive Bronzor

==Other Options==
    Elgyem has an amazing support movepool as well as a decent offensive one. It can easily run Choice Specs with 3 Attacks and Trick. It can run also Hidden Power but you already have good coverage in Psychic, Thunderbolt, and Dark Pulse. Thunder Wave is a viable option for support and allowing some of your other pokemon set up on it or allowing elgyem too. Barrier can be run with Calm Mind if you want a more defensive option. Psyshock can be used against special walls if you think you'll face them.

==Checks and Counters==
    Dark and Ghost types can be tough for Elgyem to beat especially if they are carrying high power STAB attacks against non eviolite sets. Clear Smog and Haze can be pretty tough against the stat boosting sets. Taunt hurts Elgyem a lot as well. Banded Hustle Deino hit's extremely hard with it's STAB super effective crunch and Elgyem can't do a thing do it. Special walls really hurt the sets not carrying Psyshock especially if they can inflict status.[/secret]

Post Copy-Edit version: (CE by CasedVictory)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2013
  2. Dr. Fuji

Dr. Fuji Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Dr. Fuji
    I'm quite curious where you found so many EV's. Analytic is still an option for the ability and in my opinion the better one you don't always have time to use Trick Room. HP Fighting is a capable coverage move that deserves a mention.

Last set is crap don't use barrier make it max physical defense with calm mind/recover and two coverage moves and give it analytic so Solosis doesn't outclass it entirely. Psyshock is always an option where ever you have Psychic as well.

considering your EV spread cannot exist you cannot get the extra stat point so you have plenty of EV's leftover to use with Hidden Power.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  3. KM007

KM007 Banned

Oops my bad it's supposed to be 36 or 38 I suppose but anyways fixed em.

4. Dr. Fuji

Dr. Fuji Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Dr. Fuji
    36/38 doesn't give any increase in stats other then speed which is not desirable anyways so they can be omitted.

5. KM007

KM007 Banned

6. Mylo Xyloto

Mylo Xyloto if your world falls apart, i'd start a riot

PO Trainer Name:
    Mylo Xyloto
    Hey, thanks for doing Elgyem!

Anyway, you should really mention Analytic since its probably its "only" niche in the current Meta. Remove the boosting / "Set Up" set since its too slow to use it effectively. Add a Bulky 3 Attacks set consisting of Psychic / Psyshock, Recover, Signal Beam / Hidden Power Fighting, and Thunderbolt. Its probably the most effective set, and the only set I feel worth using, then again I don't have that much experience with Elgyem. I don't get the Thunder Wave support set, its OO material imo, since most of the Pokemon faster than Elgyem will either KO it or doesn't care about Paralysis. In C & C stress more on how Dark-types ruin Elgyem's day. Pokemon like Stunky etc.
    Remove it since Elgyem will not get a Boosting set, as well as the fact that those moves are non existent in LC other than the rare SupportKrow and Foongus. I'll get Weavilewinz's opinion on wether Dual-Screens deserves a set. I'll give it another look again after you made those changes.

Other than that good job!

7. Dr. Fuji

Dr. Fuji Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Dr. Fuji
    I agree with Mylo that the Thunder Wave support set is more apt in OO and I have already commented that barrier is not a great idea however Elgyem can use some boosting moves just fine a two attack set with max Defense, Calm Mind and Recover can work well and deserves an OO mention, and Nasty Plot is definitely worth a slash next to a coverage move on the Trick Room set, allowing it to behave similarly to Cofag and Slowking I agree with Mylo that a 3 attack set makes Elgyem a very good tank and is worth a set. Mention Substitute in OO it really helps it with dark types and pretty much guarantee's an analytic boosted hit, as to the Dual Screens set I don't really think there is anything wrong with it per se but I also don't really know why you would use Elgyem over a different dual screen user such as Bronzor or Natu.

You're also missing natures on all but the first set.

8. KM007

KM007 Banned

Thunder Wave is my main set I run, it is very viable, as elgyem and possibly some teammates are slow thunder wave can help out and also let elgyem get a free attack or two.

Also added all the suggestions.

9. Dr. Fuji

Dr. Fuji Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Dr. Fuji
    Elgyem likes being slow though it lets it attack with a "Life Orb" that has no downsides by removing Analytic and its low speed you're removing the main reasons to use Elgyem over different Psychic Types.

10. KM007

KM007 Banned

Took off T wave and adding synergy.

Done with synergy, was pretty difficult to think of what benefits each set and what benefits from it.

Any thoughts on synergy? Also is this ready for approval or not? Tell me what I need to fix to make it wiki ready.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2013
  11. Weavile

Weavile Phoenix

I think Growlithe is far too uncommon to mention in the synergy section, most everything else has been said I believe. Oh. Trick Scarf seems kind of redundant even in OO. Trick Specs is just far superior in every way.

Needs a bit of tidying and expanding and I may well give my approval

12. KM007

KM007 Banned

So Like a paragraph like I did in my darkrai 1v1 thing?

13. Weavile

Weavile Phoenix

14. KM007

KM007 Banned

So I finished the paragraphs are they good?

15. Weavile

Weavile Phoenix

Responses in bold

16. KM007

KM007 Banned

Done

Didn't mention deino resisting dark/ele/psy because it outspeeds anyways and you will probably swap out.

17. Big Bad Booty Daddy

Big Bad Booty Daddy Big Poppa Pump

PO Trainer Name:
    -
    What a beautiful Copy Edit <3

18. KM007

KM007 Banned

Thanks I worked hard on it :)

19. Big Bad Booty Daddy

Big Bad Booty Daddy Big Poppa Pump

PO Trainer Name:
    -
    [​IMG]

My Copy Edit. My Credit. Not yours. Mine.

20. RSTLNE

RSTLNE Member

Why is this not on the wiki?