1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Available] Gen 5 1v1 Smeargle

Discussion in 'Gen 5 1v1 Analyses' started by Slowkii, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Slowkii

Slowkii Banned

[​IMG]
    ==General==
    Smeargle has the biggest movepool in the game, letting it use many techniques, and making it a very high threat. Considering you can never know what it will do, you must be careful in beating it. All its stats are very low, the highest being a base 75 speed. Its low attack stats, both being 20, means it is not a great offensive pokemon.

==F.E.A.R.==
    Smeargle (F) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Own Tempo
    EVs: 116 Atk
    Hardy Nature
    - Endeavor
    - Spore
    - ExtremeSpeed
    - Magic Coat / Protect

Set Comments:
    -People never know what smeargle may do, and common fear pokemon are Aron, ratata and even sometimes Spheal. Smeargle is unexpected, and people assume it will spore, shell smash and attempt to kill.
    -When up against another status inflictor magic coat will bounce it back, so pokemon such as breloom can be killed.
    -Make sure to make this level 1.
    -Ghosts love to play with this.
    -Most people are scared and will try to kill this, leaving a free spore, then endeavor, then extreme speed.
    -Never endeavor before spore.
    -Yiu can use protect.

==Metal Burst==
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Metal Burst
    - ExtremeSpeed
    - Protect
    - Shadow Sneak

Set Comments:
    While F.E.A.R. is effective against all out attackers, it can be stoppped short by many things.
    -Use protect to keep the sash.
    -Although metal burst is NFE against steels which can be a problem.
    -Extreme Speed and Shadow Sneak are priority.

==Other Options==
    -Dragon rage for pokemon with leftovers etc.
    -Toxic, Spore, Leech Seed, Substitute, will-o-wisp all exist but its hard to make use of them with the terrible stats smeargle has.

==Checks & Counters==
    -Ghost pokemon can usually beat F.E.A.R.
    -Status inflictors usually win.
    -Faster pokemon with substitute.
    -Any pokemon that can induce hail or sand.
    -If not running protect, fake out users like Infernape, Ambipom or even the odd Hariyama kill it.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  2. Slowkii

Slowkii Banned

This part of the forum is quite neglected. o.o
    Whos the QC here?

3. Dr. Fuji

Dr. Fuji Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Dr. Fuji
    Currently only Weavilewinz I believe although it would be good if we had more QC members. Slash Protect next to Magic Coat so Fake Out users don't beat you, Mention Dragon Rage as a method of killing Pokemon with healing items in OO. Remove Shadow Claw from OO you cannot get ghosts to 1hp with Endevour and won't do more then 1 hp even if you can hit them. Sand and Hail inducers along with faster Priority and Multihit moves should also be added to C&C.

4. Slowkii

Slowkii Banned

Ah yes. Thanks you

5. Dr. Fuji

Dr. Fuji Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Dr. Fuji
    I disagree, Smeargle has a few other good choices for 1v1 this is one that I think is worth a set:

Trait: Own Tempo/Technician
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
    Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
    - Metal Burst
    - ExtremeSpeed
    - Protect
    - Shadow Sneak

Only Metal Burster with Extremespeed which outspeeds other priority, Protect saves your Focus Sash from Fake Out users while Shadow Sneak hits Ghost Types with priority. Either ability can work Own Tempo beats the odd but extremely annoying Swagger users while Technician powers up Shadow Sneak slightly.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  6. KM007

KM007 Banned

Also recover is viable on the low level sash set. This set deserves a mention too.

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
    EV's : 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD
    -Spore
    -Tickle
    -Leech Seed
    -Toxic

Also add fake out users and pokemon with prioirty to c&c

7. Dr. Fuji

Dr. Fuji Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Dr. Fuji
    Recover is not viable on the level 1 set it only heals it 50% while even the weakest moves will more then easily 1HKO in return. I don't understand your set at all is it supposed to be level 1 or level 100? And why would you use Tickle? What's the point of lowering their Defense if you have no attacking move and if you're Level 1 what's the point of even lowering their attack? If you had to use a boosting move Feather Dance/Cotton Guard would be far better moves and what's the point of Toxic? not like Smeargle has the bulk to stall out an opposing Pokemon. Your only hope of winning with that set is to Spore then Leech Seed and hope they don't wake up until after you have regained your sash.. it's not worth a set.

8. Slowkii

Slowkii Banned

And thus I did not add.

9. Dr. Fuji

Dr. Fuji Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Dr. Fuji
    Yes Leech Seed is viable but tell me why you would ever use it over Endevour which beats a larger number of threats easier then Leech Seed if you want a set to beat ghosts Metal Burst exists not to mention outside of Spore it's completely outclassed by Cottenee. Leech Seed is not bad on a level 1 Smeargle and could do with an OO mention but it's too outclassed to deserve a full set.

10. Blitzamirin

Blitzamirin Waluigi! Number one!

PO Trainer Name:
    Blitz

11. Dr. Fuji

Dr. Fuji Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Dr. Fuji
    I agree with everything Blitz said except for
    Max out your attack and speed if only for beating opposing FEAR Pokemon don't worry about confusion you're losing if you hit yourself regardless of how much it does not to mention Own Tempo prevents Confusion.

Oh and minimize speed on the Metal Burst set Brave and no EV's to give your self a better chance of going second.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  12. Disaster Area

Disaster Area Badged Deucer

PO Trainer Name:
    Disaster Area
    Additional awesome set concept, though possibly somewhat ineffectual is the combination of using imprison, then transform. My friend bacon came up with it, and I thought, whilst gimmicky and somewhat impractical, it's also pure evil genius, and deserves a mention. In OO should also just say 'everything'.

13. Youngster Raz

Youngster Raz Member

Severely susceptible to Taunt, and even if you do get it off, chances are you are at 1 HP and die to struggle, anyway. The one thing that doesn't fit those 2 categories is stall... and Transform doesn't go through Substitute (You could try to use Substitute yourself to lock it with Imprison). If you can spore them before they get up the Sub, you are in decent shape (With a 1/3 chance of it utterly failing because of early wake-up).

14. Dr. Fuji

Dr. Fuji Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Dr. Fuji
    Spore + Imprison + Transform in that order is probably beating everything you are faster then that doesn't have Mach Punch/Lum Berry it's obviously not the best set but it is a really cool concept I would give it a mention in Other Options.

15. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

Come to think of it, who's taking charge of this thread since our good friend Slowkii got himself banned a while ago?

16. Disaster Area

Disaster Area Badged Deucer

PO Trainer Name:
    Disaster Area
    I don't think it matters who's looking after the threads, just moving things to the wiki as and when we're able.. I think Raz told me he was going to do some such things shortly.
    Might get some done on the weekend.