1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Final] Wailord

Discussion in 'Gen 5 NU Analyses' started by Spoovo The Pirate, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Spoovo The Pirate

Spoovo The Pirate Meep! Article Contributor Article Contributor

updated

{{Header}}
    {{Tier|BW2 NU}}

{{Overview|The BIGGEST threat in NU has a ridiculous base 170 HP, which trumps even Alomomola (just), also giving Wailord the title of 'highest base HP in NU'.

However, that's about all Wailord's got going for it. Its base 45 defenses aren't very bulky even with that HP stat AND max investment, and a poor base 60 Speed isn't helping its cause. Its decent base 90 offenses are usable, though, giving Wailord an ironically small niche as a Choice Scarf abuser, thanks to its rare access to the wonderful Water Spout. Other than that, Wailord's movepool is pretty horrible. Rapid Spin is needed to get the most out of Water Spout, but the rewards are well worth it, as it's an extremely powerful move. Wailord has three average abilities, with Pressure being the most useful of them.

All things considered, there's only one other thing that Wailord trainers need to be wary of;

Skitty. They're like Wailord's Achilles' heel. Just don't let this guy near your pet Skitty, and he's sure to stay focused on the matter at hand!}}

{{Set|ERMAGERD WHERL!|
    Wailord @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Water Spout
    - Surf / Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam
    - Hidden Power Grass / Electric}}

{{Comments|Wailord's best chance of being useful is acting as a 'speedy' revenge killer with the Choice Scarf. Its base 60 Speed hits a decent 360 with the Choice Scarf and a Timid nature, which isn't bad for something that weighs half a tonne.

Water Spout is the primary STAB, hitting for heavy damage when Wailord's at full HP. However, should Wailord lose some of those precious hit points, it has Surf or Hydro Pump for a backup STAB. Surf is recommended for its reliability, but if you need the power, Hydro Pump is usable. Ice Beam and Hidden Power are the rest of Wailord's viable movepool. Hidden Power Grass hits Quagsire and friends, but if they're no problem, Hidden Power Electric has slightly better neutral coverage. A Timid nature is chosen to make the most of the Choice Scarf. Modest can be done, and it hits harder, but Modest Scarf Wailord risks Speed ties with positive natured base 100s, which obviously isn't ideal.}}

{{Set|Defensive Whale|
    Wailord @ Leftovers
    EVs: 64 HP / 192 Def / 252 SDef
    Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Rest / Substitute
    - Sleep Talk / Protect
    - Toxic / Roar}}

{{Comments|Wailord may not be amazingly bulky, but it has all the things it needs to carve out a defensive set. It may seem outclassed by other bulky waters at first, but one thing that makes Wailord different is Pressure. With this ability, it can reduce the opponent's PP twice as fast, making it a lot easier for it (and your other team members) to wall enemies.

64 HP hits one above a Leftovers number, while the Special Defense is maxed out, coming to an average 207, and the rest are poured into Defense for optimal bulk. 497 / 174 / 207 is not brilliant, but Wailord will be doing its best to avoid taking hits if at all possible, so astronomical bulk isn't necessary.

Scald is the single attack on this set, being the staple for defensive water types. The chance of a burn is always welcomed, and it also wastes more of the enemy's turns by keeping their cleric busy. Slots two and three have the choices of Rest and Sleep Talk, or Substitute and Protect. While neither are ideal, Rest and Sleep Talk helps Wailord deal with its status vulnerability and lack of recovery, while Substitute and Protect are a highly frustrating means of stalling opponents to death.

In the last slot, Wailord has Toxic for a different status, and also for being able to do something to things that absorb Water, such as Seismitoad. However, it can be dropped for Roar, which stops Wailord being set up on, and can also stack hazard damage. Everything combined turns Wailord into a surprisingly effective stalling machine, with a lot more bulk than you'd expect. It also gets better with age, as your opponents will inevitably out of PP, and become unable to hit Wailord hard. Stacking up as many entry hazards as you can manage is a good idea with this set, as it can force plenty of switches, thanks to pressure eating away at their PP. Wailord can stall out low PP moves like Fire Blast without even being reduced to half HP if played well.}}

{{Options|Curse can increase Wailord's bulk, and give a physical sweeping set some potential. Wailord has Waterfall, Earthquake and the hilarious Body Slam at its disposal, which makes it seem feasible, however it doesn't really stick out. A mono attacking Curse set with Rest, Sleep Talk and Waterfall is doable.

Give a Choice Specs set a shot if you're feeling adventurous. The classic suicide whale with Selfdestruct from pokemon XD is worth a mention, but won't really do much, and can't use Pressure. Amnesia can boost Wailord's Special Defense, and can be used in Toxic's place on the defensive set if you have Toxic Spike coverage. Dive is a gimmick that can help Wailord to stall. Bounce can also, and while it's even less viable than Dive, the thought of a bouncing Wailord is hilarious.

Heavy Slam, Avalanche and Zen Headbutt are the remains of Wailord's movepool, and aren't particularly viable.}}

{{Checks|Any special wall is enough to check the Scarf set, particularly Alomomola and Mantine. The latter even has the boon of absorbing Water, which is the main way around Wailord. Water absorb and Dry Skin pokemon will more or less shut it down. Cacturne is an example of an ideal Water Absorb abuser, being able to beat both sets as long as it avoids an Ice Beam.

Lickilicky and Regice don't do as well against Wailord as Alomomola and Mantine do, due to not resisting water, but Lickilicky will be fine as long as Wailord's not perfectly healthy, and can try to stall out those Water Spouts with Wish and Protect, while Regice can simply maul it with Thunderbolt. The defensive set tends to find itself setup fodder for the likes of Gurdurr, who would actually appreciate a burn, and can simply alternate between Bulk Up and Drain Punch to play its way around Wailord's Sub+status+Protect 'strategy'. Gurdurr will find itself low on PP by the time it's done with Wailord however.

Bulky Grass-types are fine against both sets as long as they don't come in on an Ice Beam, with Vileplume being an ideal mention for its immunity to Poison. Vileplume may run out of Giga Drains against the defensive set, however if it's also running Sludge Bomb, it should be fine. Anything that can get behind a Substitute beats the defensive set, while simple move scouting beats the offensive. Roselia and Storm Drain Cradily are two other good examples of Wailord answers, as both have great bulk, and the latter even absorbs Water attacks. They can both repeatedly come into Wailord as well thanks to reliable recovery in Synthesis and Recover (respectably) too.

A fast Volt Switch is a good weapon against Wailord, as it will fluster the whale, break its Substitute if it has one, and deal some heavy damage if it doesn't. As nearly all Electric types in NU can do this, there's little need to list them all. Zebstrika and Electrode get special mentions for being faster than even Choice Scarf Wailord, however.}}

{{footer}}

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  2. Dr. Fuji

Dr. Fuji Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Dr. Fuji
    Personally I really like Wailord it's one of my favourite Pokemon to use in NEU. My favourite set to use is similar to your defensive set however I like to use Roar over Toxic to prevent anything from taking advantage of Wailord as setup fodder I believe it deserves a slash. I also don't think reaching a Leftovers number is worth it if you are using Rest/Sleep Talk over Protect/Sub simply maxing both defenses and placing 4 in Hp gives you the best mixed defensive potential I usually go with a +Def nature as you're more liable to switch into physical attacks. I actually really like mono attacking Curse Wailord as well its high HP and Pressure give you advantage over other similar sets on different Pokemon I use the below set, even if you can't sweep the sets slow boosting nature still promotes Pressure stalling.

Wailord (M) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk
    - Curse
    - Waterfall

Good chance I just wrote a bunch of crap it is very late just let me know.

3. Spoovo The Pirate

Naah, it makes sense to me?

I can understand what you're trying to say, though I reckon the Lefties number is still worth it, for optimal passive recovery. With how many turns it's gonna be stalling out, it'll make a huge difference over time. 64/192 and 4/252 only makes about a 2% damage difference anyways, so I don't think it's a huge issue.

The Roar thing makes sense though, I'll get that added in, as it can easily help stack up hazard damage.

Curse mono-attacker... it's definitely plausible. I'll leave that in OO for now?

4. Dzi

Dzi So Nyuh Shi Dae

I'd keep the Curse mono-attacker set in the Other Options. Then, Ampharos, Roselia and Storm Drain Cradily on the Checks and Counters

5. Spoovo The Pirate

Sure about Ampharos? Not only is he outrun, but he doesn't have enough bulk to take two Water Spouts, he'll only be able to Volt Switch on the defensive set. Completely forgot about Storm Drain Cradily though. xD

6. Dzi

Dzi So Nyuh Shi Dae

Okay don't add Ampharos though its one of my favorite pokemon. D:

7. Spoovo The Pirate

Lol yeah, I love him too (as my sig will show). I added Zebstrika and Electrode as mentions of Volt Switchers instead, as they outrun even ScarfWhale. That good? :3

8. Dzi

Dzi So Nyuh Shi Dae

mmkay Approved.

9. The Real Elmo

The Real Elmo Caterpie hungers...

Woo!
    looks good
    Approved