1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Skeleton] Landorus-T

Discussion in 'Gen 5 OU Analyses' started by Finchinator, May 21, 2013.

1. Finchinator

Finchinator IT’S FINK DUMBASS

PO Trainer Name:
    Finchinator / Finch
    [​IMG]
    ==General==
    *Landorus-T is a brilliant Pokemon that came into the Overused tier at the start of Black and White 2, alongside it's fellow therain forms (Tornadus-T and Thundurus-T.)
    *It has a sky-high base 145 Physical attack and a less impressive, but still decent base 105 SAtk.
    *With the ability Intimidate, Landorus-T can function as a bulky offensive pivot, physical wall to Pokemon like Terrakion, and a stealth rocker.
    *89 / 90 / 80 defenses are pretty decent, the 90 defense is great with Intimidate.
    *Base 91 speed is good for out-pacing Pokemon below 90 base speed, but otherwise underwhelming.
    *Weakness to water and ice is irksome, but resisting fighting and being immune to ground is great!

==Bulky Pivot==
    Landorus-T @ Leftovers
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 200 HP / 64 Atk / 244 Def
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk) / Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge / Hidden Power Ice
    - U-turn
    - Stealth Rocks / Toxic

Set Comments:
    *With the bulk invested, Landorus-T can wall pokemon like Terrakion, Breloom, and some Dragonites / Salamences.
    *Earthquake is obvious powerful ground STAB, off of amazing base 145 Attack.
    *Stone Edge is to work well with Earthquake, hitting mostly everything. Rock Slide can be used if you're more conservative and preffer accuracy over power. Also, Hidden Power Ice may hit Pokemon like Gliscor and opposing Landorus much harder, while still 2HKOinh Dragonite and Salamence, without risking a miss.
    *U-turn is for momentum and nailing the occasional Celebi. It's generally a nice move to gain advantages.
    *Lastly, Stealth Rocks is always necessary on teams - works if you lack another SR setter.
    *Toxic is also an option to nail common switch-ins like Bulky Waters, opposing Landorus(-T), and whatever else you feel it's needed to hot and ware down (I.e: Latias.)

==Choice Scarf==
    Landorus-T @ Choice Scarf
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk) / Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk) - if you opt to run HP ice change it necessary
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - U-turn
    - Hidden Power Ice / Superpower

Set Comments:
    *Choice Scarf Landorus-T is a good revenge killer, especially with the added surprise factor that it isn't bulky.
    *Being able to outspeed Pokemon like Terrakion, Thundurus-T, and Keldeo when they're not scarfed is huge for Landorus-T.
    *Earthquake is helpful and effective ground type STAB.
    *Stone Edge (or even Rock Slide) is for Flying types and other Pokemon Earthquake doesn't hit.
    *U-turn is great for gaining momentum and switch initiative, while outspeed most things you U-turn out against, due to the scarf.
    *Hidden Power Ice hits Gliscor, opposing Landorus(-T), and Dragon types.
    *You can use superpower, alternately, to hit Air Baloon Heatran and Ferrothorn.
    *You can use a move like Toxic or Stealth Rock in the last spot, if your team likes to cripple bulky switch-ins or, lacks a stealth rock setter.

==Double Dance==
    Landorus @ Leftovers / Life Orb
    EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Rock Polish
    - Swords Dance
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge

Set Comments:
    *The given speed allows you to outspeed Adamant Toxicroak, or anything slower. Maximizing attacks allows you to sweep more efficiently and the extra HP allows you to have some nice bulk which can come in handy.
    *The point of a Double Dance set is to chose the appropriate Dance (or Polish) and sweep, or use both if possible. With two solid coverage moves, like EdgeQuake, this is viable on a powerful Pokemon like Landorus-T.
    *Rock Polish doubles speed. With +2 Speed, you outspeed common fast scarf users like Latios, Keldeo, Salamence, and Terrakion.
    *Swords Dance boosts your attack to amazing levels. With +2, Earthquake OHKOs Pokemon like Defensive Politoed, always, and sometimes Specially Defensive Ferrothorn.
    *Earthquake is mandatory ground STAB that hits like a truck.
    *Stone Edge is a complimentary coverage choice, which wrecks Pokemon like Dragonite, Tornadus, and Thundurus-T.
    *Life Orb can be used for extra power while Leftovers gives you more survivability, but less power.
    *Remember, sometimes you only need one boost to sweep, especially against worn-out teams later in a match. Use Landorus-T's Double Dance set wisely and it'll be amazingly efficient in sweeping a good portion of opponents with proper support (it loves hazards and something for Skarmory / Mamoswine / other sweep killers.)

==Other Options==
    *A Substitute set is certainly viable. It can run it alongside Swords Dance, or with three attacks.
    *Bulk Up is a usable sweeping move. It boosts it's defense and attack, but Landorus-T is still vulnerable to special attackers like Keldeo and Politoed.
    *A fully defensive set can be used, even with Restalk, although Gyarados totally outdoes this as it has intimidate, too. However, Gyarados has phasing moves. Landorus-T only has more attack and arguably better STAB.
    *Gravity is certainly an option. Albeit, a gimmick and situational option, still viable.
    *Choice Bandes Landorus-T hits like a monster, but is revenged and predicted rather easily.
    *A swords dance three attacks set can be used, or you can make the Stealth Rock pivot set offensive and throw in Swords Dance over U-turn, for a early game kill or two and some surprise value.
    *Yache Berry is viable, especially on the Double Dancer!

==Checks & Counters==
    *Skarmory cannot really harm it, but certainly walls all of it's attacks unless they're boosted up multiple times.
    *Gliscor works the same as Skarmory, but it may be able to damage Landorus-T with Toxic or Ice Fang. However, Landorus-T viably runs HP Ice too often for it to be a solid counter.
    *Scarf Pokemon like Politoed, Keldeo, Thudnurus-T, and Rotom-W can outspeed and OHKO, or revenge it. Not all of these can live a hit or two, but they can do well on the offensive.
    *Mamoswine can revenge it with Ice Shars, OHKOing unless it's been Intimidated.
    *Plenty of Pokemon can kill it with HP Ice, Scald, or hard-hitting special moves in general.
    *Bronzong resists StoneQuake (thanks to levitate) and tanks multiple U-turn. It can retaliate with HP Ice, or even Gyro Ball / Toxic.

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  2. Spoovo The Pirate

Spoovo The Pirate Meep! Article Contributor Article Contributor

I'd give Bronzong a mention in C+C, personally. While rare, there's basically nothing that Landorus can do to it aside from U-turn on it. Claydol's probably also worth a mention for similar reasons, as it's bulky enough to take HP Ice well, and has an Ice Beam of its own. U-turn weak though...

I suppose special sets aren't worth mentioning at all, what with Landorus-I outclassing it with its access to Sheer Force, huh?

3. Finchinator

PO Trainer Name:
    Finchinator / Finch
    I'll mention Bronzong in the C&C.
    Claydol isn't even viable, in my opinion.
    Plus, it cannot tank U-turns forever.
    Landorus-I does totally outclass it. (Special Sets)
    Way more power, way more speed, etc.

4. ZoroDark

ZoroDark i know everything

I've looked over this like 5 times, and I still don't see anything I could add. Brilliant job.
    [​IMG][/HIDE]

5. Finchinator

PO Trainer Name:
    Finchinator / Finch
    I HAVE THE SEAL!
    Approving for myself.
    Will likely upload on monday

6. two sides of one coin

two sides of one coin sick of all her shit

What about Yache or Lum on Double Dancer? Yache stops it being revenged by things like Mamo, imo better than Lefties at least.

7. Finchinator

PO Trainer Name:
    Finchinator / Finch
    OO'd
    Approving

8. Sakuya Izayoi

Sakuya Izayoi love to hate

APPROVED
    looks good, ready to go

9. Dragon.

Dragon. Oh noes I lost my sarcasm

Eh, I'm not a fan of that Landorus-T spread for the Double Dance. Try an EV spread of 56 Hp / 252 Atk / 192 Spe. I don't see the need of hitting 270 when hitting 266 outpaces all the same things (you could hit 264, but I like getting the jump on my own personal 265 sets that people have been stealing lately. Point is that you could reduce the amount of speed evs further).

Also, you don't mention anywhere SubSD Landorus-T, which makes me cry. I've had huge success with it. Here is the proper EVS (because even Smogon has it wrong):

Landorus-T @ Leftovers
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 200 Hp / 64 Atk / 54 Def / 188 Spe
    - Stone Edge
    - Earthquake
    - Substutute
    - Swords Dance

Sets up on Ferrothorn, Forretress, and all kinds of shit. When you have a sub, your opponent always has to sack SOMETHING to Landorus, which is quite a good feeling. It gets free subs everywhere on the amount of switches it forces too. It works differently from DubDance because DubDance is a late gamer but this set just spams Substitute's everywhere and steals momentum and dishes out holes to the opponents team with every click to EQ. It's also amazing at scouting as well.

10. Spoovo The Pirate

^ Just thought I'd point out that it's pretty common for Smogon to get something wrong, lol. They put so little thought into things sometimes that they make retarded mistakes.

11. Alfalfa

Alfalfa Underappreciated

PO Trainer Name:
    Alfalfa
    Now we are pointing fingers at each other. There is a lot of funky shit on PO that I could point out as well.

Also,

12. Spoovo The Pirate

...what's wrong with that? Landy-T can outrun both of them at +2 (takes 180 Speed EVs), and they are common Scarfers. ._.

Oh, and I wasn't pointing fingers, I'm just saying that it's nothing amazing for Smogon to get something wrong. After all, it's written by humans.