1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[BW2] LU Combinations

Discussion in 'Gen 5 LU' started by AmourShipper, Jun 2, 2013.

1. AmourShipper

AmourShipper meh i'm bored

PO Trainer Name:
    AmourShipper
    Credit to Fille and Orcelot for this idea

Most successful teams are not usually made by just slapping on random Pokemon and hoping to win. Rather, they consist of cores or combinations, a group of 2-3 Pokemon that synergize well together, either offensively or defensively, and cover a significant portion of the metagame, and build the team around it. The basic purpose of this thread is to discuss effective cores or combinations in the LU metagame, either defensive or offensive, that can be used successfully in LU. Also, be sure to put in a description of how the core/combo in general is supposed to work. Also, no core/combo is perfect, and there are always counters to each viable core/combo, so don't say a core / combination sucks simply because one or two Pokemon break it.

I'll give this a head start some of my own:

As for an offensive one:

Spr_5b_139.png

Omastar (M) @ White Herb
    Trait: Weak Armor
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Shell Smash
    - Surf
    - Ice Beam
    - Hidden Power [Grass]

Spr_5b_545.png

Scolipede (M) @ Salac Berry
    Trait: Swarm
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Swords Dance
    - Substitute
    - Megahorn
    - Aqua Tail

This is an awesome combo I've been using lately, since the two are great sweepers in LU and can wreck after a boost. The two have interesting defensive and offensive synergy, and can come in on something the other fears, and use that for free setup, and sweep the team. As I said, they have great offensive synergy too, and they can cover a large portion of the metagame. They hit both specially and physically, respectively, so physical and special walls are not exactly safe from either.

You could run an all out SD set for Scolipede if you'd like, if you're looking for EQ+Rock Slide coverage over Aqua Tail, and want Life Orb, I myself prefer SubSalac since he can avoid status and boost his Speed and get the edge over Accelgor and Cinccino.

Here's another cool core I've been liking the use of lately (and a defensive one too):

036.png

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Magic Guard
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
    Calm Nature
    - Wish
    - Protect
    - Seismic Toss
    - Heal Bell

356.png

Dusclops (M) @ Eviolite
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
    Impish Nature
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Seismic Toss
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk

062.png

Poliwrath (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
    Relaxed Nature
    - Scald
    - Circle Throw
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk

This defensive core can counter almost everything in the metagame. Clefable, Poliwrath, and Dusclops have almost perfect defensive synergy, and can do a lot. Clefable and Dusclops patch up each other's weaknesses, and Poliwrath patches up the Dark weakness and provides utility against Entei. Scald and Will-O-Wisp are nice and also help Clefable take some hits better, while Clefable can throw Wishes to Poliwrath and Dusclops to keep them healthy while also waking them up from Rest with Heal Bell. Moltres gives this core some problems so Slowking might be necessary (but Slowking is amazing anyways so who cares).

Discuss away!

2. Scene

Scene reverie

[​IMG][​IMG]

I'm loving Uxie and Lanturn as a defensive backbone right now. Uxie's a physically defensive monster, Lanturn takes most hits from either side and both have Twave to slow down things. I also gets Rocks and Heal Bell out of this little combo, as well as a mini VoltTurn thing. The things this doesn't deal with (mainly Krookodile and Lilligant) can easily be sorted out be teammates. It's a nice starting point, anyway.

3. Cobalt

Cobalt Embrace the Cold

Poliwrath + Roselia

This core is absolutely amazing; litterally NOTHING passes it.

Slowking + Steelix

Amazing synergy, same as the above stops most threats.... well not offensive tang but
    you get my point...

I'll think of more later... I'm tired

4. AmourShipper

PO Trainer Name:
    AmourShipper
    Here's a pretty good combo that I absolutely love using atm.

Spr_5b_481.png

Mesprit @ Life Orb
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
    IVs: 0 Spe
    Quiet Nature
    - Trick Room
    - Psychic
    - Thunderbolt
    - Healing Wish

Spr_5b_306.png

Aggron @ Choice Band
    Trait: Rock Head
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    IVs: 0 Spe
    Brave Nature
    - Head Smash
    - Heavy Slam
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Punch / Aqua Tail

These two make a pretty amazing offensive core, as they have awesome synergy both offensively and defensively. Aggron and Mesprit cover each others weaknesses very well and also hit from both sides of the spectrum, which is a real plus. Both are pretty strong sweepers under Trick Room; Mesprit can provide Trick Room support for Aggron to become even more monstrous (CB Head Smash is absurd), and break down physical walls like Tangrowth and Poliwrath to help Aggron succeed. Aggron can also come in on all of Mesprit's weaknesses, and the same for Mesprit. Mesprit also provides Healing Wish, which is awesome to provide Aggron a second chance to destroy another three opponents if it is severely weakened.

5. Finchinator

Finchinator IT’S FINK DUMBASS

PO Trainer Name:
    Finchinator / Finch
    Hi. This combination wrecked Xdevo's gym twice and I even used it in UU for POWC once (it wonned.)

Poliwrath (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk
    - Circle Throw
    - Scald

Druddigon (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Rough Skin
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Roar
    - Dragon Tail
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk

Basically, with Hazards and a ghost (I've used Scolipede + CB Golurk or Bulky Rotom-A), these two can spread hazard damage with doing decent damage, working as a defensive core with rest for recovery, and wear down opponents teams.
    Hazards are pretty easy to get up and keep up in LU, so I abuse it with these two.
    Druddigon is a good wall to pokemon like Sceptile, Magmortar, Lilligant, and Rotom-C. Poliwrath is a check to Durant, Escavlier, Feraligatr, and other physical attackers.
    Overall, this core works great late game to keep my bulky offensive team with the momentum and assuring that the other team doesn't pull together a sweep or string together some kills.

6. Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom Long time hater of stall

An offensive Tag Team I'm using at the moment:

Tornadus @ Sky Plate
    Trait: Prankster
    Hasty Nature (+Spd -Def)
    EV: 4 Atk, 252 SAtk, 252 Spd
    Rain Dance
    Hurricane
    Superpower
    Grass Knot/Tailwind

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
    Trait: Swift Swim
    Modest Nature (+SAtk -Atk)
    EV: 4 HP, 252 SAtk, 252 Spd
    Rain Dance
    Hydro Pump
    Giga Drain
    Ice Beam

Once hazards are down, this tag team can sweep teams with ease. Tornadus outruns the entire unboosted metagame bar Sceptile, Accelgor and Scolipede, and only the latter is any real threat to it. Ludicolo outruns everything south of Scarf Manectric in Rain, and has a 270 power Hydro Pump to throw around. They don't share any weaknesses either.

7. AmourShipper

PO Trainer Name:
    AmourShipper
    Cool stuff there, that's a pretty awesome combo. Here's another:

Spr_5b_429.png

Mismagius (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Substitute
    - Nasty Plot
    - Shadow Ball
    - Hidden Power [Fighting]

Spr_5b_625.png

Bisharp (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Defiant
    EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Substitute
    - Swords Dance
    - Sucker Punch
    - Iron Head

This core is amazing on offensive Spike-stacking teams, as they have excellent synergy. One physical, one special sweeper is pretty awesome, and like the previous cores I mentioned, Mismagius and Bisharp have excellent synergy defensively; they can come in on each other's weaknesses and use that as a free setup opportunity to grab an SD or NP boost. Substitute allows them to grab boosts more easily as well. With boosts, these two are very dangerous threats, being able to sweep teams handily, and the former also can spinblock. This core is excellent and does well with just hazard support alone (I use Sash Scolipede to set up the hazards).