1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Skeleton] Mew

Discussion in 'Gen 5 UU Analyses' started by Xinc, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

"Mew mew mew mew mew!" Mew to Mewtwo in the Pokemon Movie.

==General==

Excellent Base 100 Stats, enabling to be extremely flexible
    Immense Movepool, so can support and be offensive too
    No particular flaws, but no particular strengths either
    Pure Psychic Typing, meaning quite vulnerable to Pursuit, Dark and Ghost moves
    Four Slot Syndrome

==Stallbreaker==
    [email protected] Leftovers
    Trait: Synchronise
    EVs: 252 HP / 120 SDef / 136 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    -Taunt
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -SoftBoiled
    -Seismic Toss/Psychic

=Set Comments=
    -0 Attack Ivs on it, for anti Swagger/Foul Play.
    -Takes advantage of Mew's great 100/100/100 Hp, Def, and Sp Def stat spread.
    -It's a Stallbreaker
    -Gives Stall troubles with Taunt
    -Very durable, but can be beaten by Mismagius and pokemon who can Sub or Taunt it back, also physical attacking Victini, Sableye, Xatu, who can also bounce back Taunt
    -Seismic Toss for consistent damage and to hit Reuniclus, Psychic for STAB and to hit Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Qwilfish, Chandelure, Crobat, and Cofagigrus
    -EV spread is used to donate some defense bulk over to Special defense
    -Another EV spread it can run is: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spd spread with a Bold Nature. With this, Mew gets a nice overall amount of bulk of 404 HP / 300 Def / 236 Sp Def and it can outspeed Base 70 Speed Pokémon and Pokémon that use 263 speed.

=Nasty Plot=
    [email protected] Life Orb/Lum Berry
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Nasty Plot
    - Psyshock/Psychic
    - Aura Sphere/ Vacuum Wave
    - Fire Blast/ Shadow Ball/ Giga Drain

=Set Comments=
    Life Orb for more Power, Lum berry grants you some leverage against paralysis inducers or status issues.
    Psyshock hits physical side, Psychic has more power. Psyshock can hurt Blissey,
    Aura Sphere for Steel, Dark, and Normal types
    Vacuum wave for priority, but should be used to hit those weak against fighting moves as it won't hurt too hard on anything that is neutral against it. Aura Sphere is generally the better option, but if Vacuum wave is your desired move, run Fire Blast over the last slot to hurt Steel and Umbreon.
    Giga Drain is there to aid Mew against Bulky Waters.
    Shadow Ball for Ghosts and Psychics while Fire Blast is for Steels and Grass types. Giga Drain is for water types, Rhyperior, and dual Water/ground such as Swampert
    This set appreciates hazards such as Stealth Rock and Spikes.
    This Mew works well with many other special attackers

=Swords Dance=
    [email protected] Life Orb/Lum Berry
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Swords Dance
    - Zen Headbutt
    - Sucker Punch/Shadow Claw
    - Drain Punch

=Set Comments=
    -Lum Berry gives a chance for Mew to set up without being bothered by status.
    -Zen Headbutt for Stab, Sucker Punch is a strong priority move to hit Ghosts and other Psychics, as well as many other Pokemon such as Flygon, while Drain Punch for Steel and Dark types, as well as Pokemon who take a neutral hit from it. It also gives Mew something to recover HP with.
    -Situational moves can be possibly placed over Drain Punch, such as Low Kick, which with a 2+ attack boost, any Pokemon who takes super effective damage will faint, such as Registeel and Snorlax. Fire Punch is also an option as it hits Escavalier, while Ice Punch will also hit Gligar for 4x super effective damage.
    -Enjoys Spikes and Hazard support

==Baton Pass==
    Mew (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Synchronize
    EVs: 248 Hp / 8 SpDef / 252 Spd
    Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Swords Dance / Nasty Plot
    - Rock Polish / Taunt
    - Zen Headbutt / Psychic
    - Baton Pass

Set Comments:
    *Can be used to baton pass to many sweepers as long as they have good coverage.
    *(An example is Nidoking as it has a good move-pool and strong special attack with sheer force, too. )
    *Can use barrier, Amnesia, Calm Mind, and all other boosting moves as part of a baton pass chain.
    -0 Attack IVs
    -Two slots for stat boosting moves
    -There is an attacking move so Mew won't be taunt bait
    -appreciates dual screen support to help it pass effectively

==Other Options==
    -Can Baton Pass, with Bulk up, Amnesia, Iron Defense, Rock Polish. Due to its flexibility, hard to actually counter or stop its baton passing, though the EV spread is the same with Offensive and defensive, due to trying to focus on Mew living longer
    -Can be a Special sweeper (And Special Wall) with Calm Mind.
    -Roar Support set can work
    -Dual Screens is a viable option
    -Extremely flexible thanks to Mew's extensive movepool
    -Can run a Lead Stealth Rock set not dissimilar to Azelf with Explosion, Taunt, and a filler move (Tailwind or Zen Headbutt)

=Checks And Counters=

-Fast scouters and pokemon who can carry off strong Dark or Ghost moves
    -Pursuit users, though the majority are slow enough to get burned by Support Mew
    -U-turners, though the Support set can withstand damage easier than the other sets
    -Scarf Heracross can KO with Night Slash or Megahorn, and receive a +1 Moxie Boost.
    --Gets countered by Mismagius, any Pokemon who can Taunt Mew before Mew can Taunt, any Pokemon who can stand consistent damage from Seismic Toss and Psychic and retaliate back, ex. Chandelure

=Synergy=
    Mew can find a good partner with Bisharp, who takes a neutral weakness in bug moves. Depending on the set, Mew can find partners to match either the sweeping sets, the support set, or any other sets, like Baton Pass. Another good partner is a steel type Pokemon, such as Registeel, who will be able to sponge all of Mew's weaknesses.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  2. Epikhairz

Epikhairz Delta Stream

PO Trainer Name:
    Epikhairz
    Wow really nice job. Just a few things to say.

I believe Baton Pass should get some more light. It can boost its Speed with Rock Polish and has access to great boosting moves, and can't be straight up countered due to its ability to Baton Pass on a switch in to someone who could sweep. I've even used it in OU and that thing is great.
    In OO, add Calm Mind not as Baton Pass, but just as a sweeper

3. Xdevo

Xdevo Phrasing Super Moderator Tour Director Super Moderator Tour Director

I honestly think that the Support set should be the leading set. Its the set that best uses Mew's traits, and unlike the offensive sets, it doesn't really share its niche with too many other Pokemon. I would also add Stealth Rocks on that set, slashed with Taunt.

4. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

Done.

5. Spoovo The Pirate

Spoovo The Pirate Meep! Article Contributor Article Contributor

Is Vacuum Wave worth mentioning on the Nasty Plot set? It's not very powerful, but decent coverage, and a priority move to boot. *shrugs*

6. NAVIDAD PIRATE

NAVIDAD PIRATE THE PLEASURE OF BEING CUMMED INSIDE

PO Trainer Name:
    MeowMix
    support mew wants leftovers, not life orb. mention what the speed EVs outspeed and why you're using them

softboiled in the set comments of the NP mew, you can live with two attacking moves and healing if that's your joint

the lead/SR mention thing should go in OO, not in C&C

mismagius isn't a counter considering it gets rocked by mew's stab moves. nothing in the tier can safely switch into mew considering its unpredictability, but once you know the set it's easier to stop

7. Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom Long time hater of stall

I'd recommend removing the Swords Dance set. The Nasty Plot set is generally a better sweeper/wallbreaker. Also, you could add a defensive Baton Pass set:

Substitute
    Iron Defence/Amnesia
    Baton Pass
    Taunt/Magic Coat

8. NAVIDAD PIRATE

NAVIDAD PIRATE THE PLEASURE OF BEING CUMMED INSIDE

PO Trainer Name:
    MeowMix
    nah the SD set is pretty fantastic, considering mew's good neutral bulk and the coverage provided by DP / SP

9. Scene

Scene reverie

Maybe mention Mew's weakness to U-Turn as well as Pursuit. And I'd definitely keep the SD set.

10. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

Did all. Please let me know if more.

11. Epikhairz

Epikhairz Delta Stream

PO Trainer Name:
    Epikhairz
    Four moveslot syndrome isn't really a check or counter, as it isn't another Pokemon, so I'd put that in General. Also, where are pics? But these are just tiny nitpicks. Also, I personally like Rock Polish and offensive boosters in Baton Pass set, but everyone can have their own opinion! Maybe offensive Baton Pass and defensive Baton Pass as two separate sets? Mew is so versatile, so a lot of sets can be used. But again, these are just more tiny nitpicks.

12. Spoovo The Pirate

Another thing I noticed when rereading this on my phone at work earlier (how cool am I?) is that you mention Grass Knot for Swampert on the Nasty Plot set. Why not Giga Drain?

The difference in damage will be negligible, and Mew gets free recovery from it, so there's little to lose. Stuff like Rhyperior's dead from a Giga Drain anyways, and there aren't many notable targets that are hit harder by Grass Knot (that I can think of). Just a thought, though. It's only a set comment, so it's not of any real importance.

13. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

Done. Should probably add pictures for Mew.

14. Epikhairz

Epikhairz Delta Stream

PO Trainer Name:
    Epikhairz
    Time for more nitpicks!
    Not really liking that sentence, because its vast versatility is its strength. Honestly, you probably aren't going to know what it runs until you see it use one or two moves.

Once you fix that, though, I'll give you your first Approve as it's clear you've been working a lot on this. If I blank on anything, others can help me (yes?).

15. Spoovo The Pirate

Yup, that's correct Epik. They're QC teams for a reason lol.

16. Epikhairz

Epikhairz Delta Stream

PO Trainer Name:
    Epikhairz
    Lol I only added the (yes?) cuz this subforum doesn't have a lot of life compared to LU or NU :P. Hope that will change though!

17. Spoovo The Pirate

Yeah, it should do eventually. Prod anything with a sharp stick for long enough and it's bound to bite back. :D

18. NidoTheKing

NidoTheKing Father of the Year 2014!

PO Trainer Name:
    NidoTheKing78
    I'd mention that you could slash in Baton Pass on all of the setup sets to add some momentum, but it comes with he loss of coverage (it also makes Mew more surprising).

19. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

I did put Baton Pass there. I have no intention for putting BP for Nasty Plot and Sword Dance sets, because Mew's not built to go without coverage.

20. Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom Long time hater of stall

Could it be worth mentioning an offensive Baton Pass set?
    Mew @ Lum Berry/Mental Herb
    Bold Nature (+Def -Atk)
    EV: 252 HP, 180 Def, 76 Spd
    Rock Polish
    Swords Dance/Nasty Plot
    Baton Pass
    Taunt/Magic Coat

Gets Taunt and Magic Coat and can outrun Scarf Mienshao at +2, 2 things Gorebyss doesn't have. EVs give it enough speed to outrun Scarf Mienshao at +2 while bulking it up a lot.

Also, I'd slash in Earth Power on the Nasty Plot set. Hits pretty much everything Aura Sphere would, but also nails Metagross, Darmanitan and Chandelure. Just a though (shrugs).

21. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

Added.

22. Dangerous36M

Dangerous36M Member

SD Mew is indeed incredible, probably its most viable and threateneing offensive set.

This should be mentioned on every set without physical attacks. Sableye also isn't the only Pokémon to carry Foul Play.

The support set gets countered by a lot more than just Mismagius. Be less specific yet more descriptive - the set gets "countered" by anything faster with the ability to Taunt first and deal with taking continuous hits (Seismic Toss/Psychic), and anything that doesn't mind getting burned or switching in on Psychic/Seismic Toss that can hit it back hard (Chandelure for example).

Again, you're being weirdly specific. How exactly is it beneficial for Support Mew to outspeed minimum speed Shaymin (which apparently runs 28 EVs or less, seeing as how they both have the same base speed lol)? If anything 32 EVs allow you to outspeed anything attempting to outspeed base 100s without investment, or base 100s with less investment.

Sucker Punch is there for priority also, definitely worth mentioning.

Dark and Ghost aren't the only types Mew is weak to! You're also again going to have to be more (or less) specific here, seeing as how not every set is "countered" or "checked" by anything that carries Pursuit or U-turn. Most Pursuit users are fairly slow, meaning the support set can burn them before they get a hit off and the Baton Pass set can get out of there without even taking any damage whatsoever. Almost the same goes for U-turn users; slower ones get burned, while faster ones often don't deal enough damage to force out the bulkier versions of Mew.

23. Epikhairz

Epikhairz Delta Stream

PO Trainer Name:
    Epikhairz
    Ah yes, C&C - add Heracross. Scarfed version is faster than Mew unless it has used Rock Polish, and can fire off a supereffective Megahorn for the KO, and potentially getting the frightening +1 Moxie boost.

24. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

Right, took all your ideas into consideration. Turns out I messed up Speed with Special defense for the support set. Ugh... Sorry for the confusion.

25. Cobalt

Cobalt Embrace the Cold

Maybe a Double Dance set in OO? NP/SD and RP? I'm not good at UU, just an idea :p

26. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

That was already added in the "Offensive Passer" set. If you're suggesting Mew to also attack while doing all that, it'd be hard for Mew to pull it off.

27. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

Bumping. If there isn't any objection to what I have currently, I'll start writing the analysis tomorrow.

28. Virizion

Virizion ~ Taste the Rainbow ~

PO Trainer Name:
    Virizion
    Mention a 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spd spread with a Bold Nature on the first (1st) set. With this, Mew gets a nice overall amount of bulk (404 / 300 / 236) and it can outspeed Base 70 Speed Pokémon and Pokémon that use 263 speed.

29. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

Sounds good. I added it.

30. Halsey

Halsey Wildstar

PO Trainer Name:
    Kat
    The set's name should be "Stallbreaker"

I really don't understand the EVs. You are wasting Mew's potential to give it some unnecessary bulk that won't help it in the current metagame. Sure with that spread crap like Metagross can only 2HKO Mew after SR (which is a common battle condition), but now everything relevant outspeeds Mew (including Metagross) and kills it before getting burned.

The spread should be 252 HP / 120 SDef (or Def, depending on your team needs) / 136 Spd with a Timid nature. That gives you enough speed to beat all the base 85 Spd Pokemon with a positive nature in the tier, so now you outspeed Heracross, Kingdra, Suicune, Nidoking, Qwilfish and Cresselia, note how outspeeding all those Pokemon is actually a great thing for Mew. Another thing is that now Pokemon like Bisharp and Honchkrow can't use Mew as setup fodder, which is quite nice. With the Speed and Special Defense investment now Mew is actually capable of beating both Nidoking and Nidoqueen, because with your current spread both outspeed and 2HKO it. There are countless examples like those I just provided, so long story short: My spread is superior in the current metagame.

Personally I believe the investing in SDef is better than in Def, because it helps you deal with Pokemon like Kingdra (who fails to beat Mew outside of rain or if it lacks Specs Hydro Pump) and Nidoking. Most physical attackers Mew can actually beat are slower / fail to 2HKO it and can be burned, allowing you to deal with them without Def investment.

Stealth Rock should never be slashed on this set, without Taunt this Mew is worthless against Stall and any Pokemon that doesn't mind the burn and is able to set up, like Suicune and Slowbro, is going to have a field day. Psychic has to be the main slash because in overall is significantly better, Seismic Toss is only actually helpful if you are extremely weak to CM Reuniclus.

-It's a Physical Wall
    It definitely isn't a physical wall, it is a stallbreaker. If you want a dedicated physical wall you'd be better off using something like Slowbro.

-Can slash Stealth Rock as an option for hazards
    No.

-Shuts down Stall with Taunt
    It gives serious problems to stall, but it doesn't shut it down.

-Very durable, but can be beaten by Mismagius and pokemon who can Sub or Taunt it back
    Mismagius is almost LU, mention something more relevant like Victini, Sableye, Xatu, etc. Also this should be in checks and counters.

-Seismic Toss for consistent damage, Psychic for STAB
    Psychic for STAB and to actually damage Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Qwilfish, Chandelure, Cofagrigus, Crobat, etc. Seismic Toss to beat CM Reuniclus.

-Trick users ruin this set

Checks and counters.

-Handles Victini better than any other set though.
    This set does absolutely nothing to Victini and it gets 2HKO by Scarf Victini even if you are running 252 HP / 252 Def Bold

-Gets countered by Mismagius, any Pokemon who can Taunt Mew before Mew can Taunt, any Pokemon who can stand consistent damage from Seismic Toss and Psychic and retaliate back, ex. Chandelure
    2nd time you mention some of these things in this skeleton, idgi. Check and counters.

-EV spread is used to donate some defense bulk over to Special defense
    Already explained why my EV spread is superior.

The items should be Life Orb / Lum Berry. The former gives you immediate raw power; the latter allows you to get a relatively riskless Nasty Plot against Pokemon like Blissey, Xatu, Registeel and Togekiss, allowing you get to +4. Leftovers might give you slightly more survivability against some Pokemon, but most of those Pokemon are capable of crippling Mew with status moves, so you aren't really gaining much.

The moves should be

- Nasty Plot
    - Psyshock / Psychic
    - Aura Sphere / Vacuum Wave
    - Shadow Ball / Fire Blast / Giga Drain

I'll explain why later

-Life Orb for more Power, Leftovers for longer life
    Already explained why Life Orb / Lum Berry > Life Orb / Leftovers

-Psyshock hits physical side, Psychic has more power. Psyshock can hurt Bliisey

Not only Blissey, it also hits both Togekiss and Snorlax harder than any other of Mew's moves.

-Aura Sphere for Steel

Aura Sphere is for Dark type Pokemon, Empoleon and Porygon2

-Vacuum wave for priority
    Sure it is a priority move, but Vacuum Wave should only be used to beat Bisharp, Weavile and Krookodile. At +2 it doesn't even 2HKO Flygon.

-Shadow Ball for Ghosts while Fire Blast is for Shaymin. Giga Drain can be slashed over these moves for Swampert as well.
    Shadow Ball hits Ghost and Psychic type Pokemon. Fire Blast is for Steel and Grass type Pokemon, and Sableye. Giga Drain is for Water type Pokemon, Krookodile and Rhyperior, the latter two cannot actually handle Aura Sphere but Giga Drain helps Mew gain health back, so yeah.

-Softboiled can be slashed over on an attacking move, so Mew can recover some HP.

Personally I don't believe it is worth a mention; Mew really needs its coverage.

Now to explain the moves. Psyshock is the main slash over Psychic because of how common Blissey, Snorlax and Togekiss are. Aura Sphere should always be used over Vacuum Wave, unless you really want to beat Bisharp, Krookodile and Weavile with Mew even if you are weakened. If you are running Vacuum Wave, you must run Fire Blast to damage Steel types and do real damage to Umbreon. Both Shadow Ball and Fire Blast are equally useful, so pick whichever depending on your team needs. Giga Drain is not as useful as the other coverage moves, but it allows Mew to stay healthy against bulky waters.

Mention how this sets enjoys Spikes support and pairs decently well with most special attackers.

Just call this set "Sword Dance", I don't see the point of using random gimmick names instead of being straightforward.

Life Orb / Lum Berry, for the same reason I gave in the NP set. Also Drain Punch is one of Mew's main moves, so leftovers are even less useful on this set.

Slash Shadow Claw with Sucker Punch, to not be forced to play mindgames against every Pokemon that resists both Zen Headbutt and Drain Punch.

-Similar to Nasty Plot except that it attacks physically
    Is way more complex than that, so just don't say it and talk about the set itself.

-Zen Headbutt for Stab, Sucker Punch for Ghosts and other Psychics, Drain Punch for Steel and Dark types
    Sucker Punch and Shadow Claw are for Ghost and Psychic type Pokemon. Sucker Punch gives Mew a really strong priority move (unlike Vacuum Wave on the NP set), allowing it to KO or do great damage to nearly everything faster than it, like Flygon and Scarf Chandelure. Drain punch is for Dark, Normal and to hit for at least neutral damage most Steel types; also it is a good move to finish off weakened Pokemon to regain a bit of health.

-Hits Blissey harder than the Nasty Plot set
    Again, is way more complex than that.

Mention how Low Kick can be used to get a guaranteed OHKO on Empoleon, Registeel and Snorlax. Mention Fire Punch and Ice Punch, for Escavalier and Gligar respectively. These moves don't deserve to be slashed because they are extremely situational.

Also mention that it enjoys Spikes support.

The BP sets should be merged and they need less random EVs, but cba talking about that right now. Note that I'm definitely not done with this.

31. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

Swapped in Finch's Mew BP set as it works better.

32. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

bumping.