1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

1v1 Dragonite

Discussion in 'Gen 5 1v1 Analyses' started by Disaster Area, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Disaster Area

Disaster Area Badged Deucer

PO Trainer Name:
    Disaster Area
    Dragonite (M) @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Multiscale
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Dragon Dance
    - Roost
    - Safeguard/Protect
    - Dragon Claw/Outrage/Fire Punch
    This is my Dragonite set, built to function in both standard and ubers 1v1. It's designed to dragon dance one time to obtain an awesome attack and speed boost, whilst lum berry saves it from status one time. Against Breloom or Darkrai (depending on the tier you're playing) it can then safeguard to defend against spore or dark void, respectively. After the D-Dance speed boost you're capable of outpacing and roosting to retain full HP to keep your bulk until the foe runs out of PP of whatever offensive move they're using. This is liable to fail against shell-smash Cloyster and ice punch Jirachi (with a 20% chance to freeze), and shell-smash cloyster's Icicle Spear, as well as the odd Abomasnow blizzard, though with Jirachi and possibly Abomasnow you may be able to counter the freezing chance by safeguarding if you can lose less than 50% HP to their attacks without multiscale. Once the PP is stalled (usually) you could dragon claw them as a primary stab, though if the attacker is weak it is probably the best option to have it between the odd roosts, whereas with outrage the inability to switch to roost, as well as the subsequent confusion, makes it often not the best choice, especially against Jirachi. For Jirachi it might be bet to run fire punch, without losing too much firepower. Protect can be run over safeguard if you're more afraid of possible trick users (e.g. Jirachi, Sableye, Gengar) which may be more common, allowing you to scout them. The set variations to play against each of these individual threats are more complicate. In 1v1 Ubers where Jirachi is significantly rarer, and the previously listed threats other than Darkrai are almost never seen, it's a different game.
    Against Arceus, which runs so many sets, it's probably best to dragon dance one time, then either roost or attack straight off with outrage or dragon claw. Haze could be fun to pack over dragon dance to pose a threat to sword dance users.
    Against Darkrai, you should usually dragon dance and then, if it used dark void before, safeguard, and if not, to roost or to attack.
    Against Kyogre be aware it will probably be faster than you and running an offensive set. You should probably be able to dragon dance straight away, allowing you not to be fooled against a calm mind Kyogre that you expect to attack, or to roost after a specs or water gem water spout. Against scarf users it might still be faster than you (I'm not sure how to calculate the speed necessary to outspeed Kyogre when Dragonite is at +1 and Kyogre is scarfed, so speed EV's may need changing.
    Against Umbreon, safeguard first, and then probably try and dragon dance hoping you don't get hit by a crit on foul play.
    Against Blaziken, whilst uncommon, it often holds a sash, and hits very hard, and of course packs speed boost, so trying to outspeed it is a daft game. Best of luck beating it; it probably can be done with this set, but I'm not so sure.

Some calculations would be lovely, and I haven't made them yet, but this is I guess 2 analyses in 1, one for standard 1v1, one for ubers. I've probably not listed all the uber threats.

2. Youngster Raz

Youngster Raz Member

About Umbreon: It's basically a game of prediction. If you use Dragon Dance and Umbreon uses Foul Play first turn, you lose, no strings attached. If it uses Yawn (And you carry Outrage), you just win. Although I'd like to test out Safeguards mechanics on Swagger (If you still get the +2 from it, you could abuse that and win even with Dragon Claw).
    Safeguard on the first turn is a horrible idea if you don't have Outrage, but even if you do, you still lose to first turn Foul Play.
    In the end: If Umbreon uses Foul Play on the first turn, you just lose.

Ice Punch has 24 PP as well. You lose against Ice Punch Jirachi. ALWAYS.

You CAN PP-stall Arceus ES, however (27.2% - 32.38% on the banded variant with Multiscale), as long as you don't get crit in the first few turns. Chances are you lose against the Swords Dance variant though (Although I haven't met a lot of them...).

Darkrai deals 34.97% - 41.45% unboosted damage with dark pulse (Multiscale broken already), so it will most likely be a 4KO (3KO if you are REALLY unlucky), while you 2KO back with +1 Dragon Claw (85.11% - 100.35%). HOWEVER! You need to invest 240 EVs into Speed in order to outspeed Timid 252 Speed Darkrai at +1!

Kyogre on the other hand will murder you. Specs Ice Beam with Modest nature deals 98.45% - 116.06% damage WITH MULTISCALE (65.8% - 77.72% without the specs, so not stallable).

Other dragons will most likely kill you as well (Banded, Dragonite, Garchomp and Haxorus have a chance to OHKO with Outrage through Multiscale (Haxorus having the highest chance at 75%, 120 Defense EVs with a neutral nature guarantee a 2KO), you OHKO all back with +1 Dragon Claw if there's no Multiscale). Garchomp is beatable with a bit of Defense investment. Against other Dragonite though, you have a problem! Banded Outrage can be beaten with Rocky Helmet, but Draco Meteor will kill you if it's specs (You definitely survive unboosted Draco Meteor (81.09% - 95.85%)).

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  3. Dr. Fuji

Dr. Fuji Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Dr. Fuji
    Dragonite was already done for 1v1 and I got (23:37:26) +RankingBot: Your rank in 1v1 Gen 5 is 1/2761! [1444 points / 116 battles]! using it.

http://pokemon-online.eu/forums/showthread.php?18652-Gen-5-1v1-Dragonite

Substitute outclasses Safeguard most of the time on this set as you're likely outspeeding whatever is using the status move after a Dragon Dance and could use a slash. You do not want Fire Punch as your only move if you want to use it, it should be slashed elsewhere.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  4. Disaster Area

Disaster Area Badged Deucer

PO Trainer Name:
    Disaster Area
    Fair enough, it was just an idea, and now we seem to have better sets :)