1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Skeleton] 1v1 Mewtwo

Discussion in 'Gen 5 1v1 Analyses' started by Disaster Area, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Disaster Area

Disaster Area Badged Deucer

PO Trainer Name:
    Disaster Area
    Mewtwo @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Unnerve
    EVs: 248 Def / 24 SAtk / 20 SDef / 216 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Aura Sphere
    - Protect
    - Disable
    - Ice Beam

I don't have time right this second to write this analysis properly, but here's how it beats stuff.
    Darkrai: Protect to scout, aurasphere 2HKOs, outspeeds Darkrai, is not OHKOd by Dark pulse
    Arceus Band: Protect then disable, then hit with aura sphere till it dies.
    SpecsOgre: Protect, Disable, hit with aura sphere
    Magnemite : Unnerve (so no oran berry), hit with aura sphere x2
    Palkia and other choice users: protect, then disable, tank the hit with EVs, hit with ice beam or aurasphere; same for rayquaza and Mewtwo.
    S.Atk EVs can be shifted elsewhere as does enough damage without any investment whatsoever usually
    3HKOs Umbeon, so against it needs to be played carefully, but with these investments, is not OHKOd at +2 Atk (attack IVs at 0)
    OHKOs Max HP 0 Def Rayquaza with ice beam; survives scarf meteor or outrage; disables other choice variants. May ned changing of EVs, I haven't checked, to survive +1 outrage or e-speed from a d-dance, if it outspeeds
    is beaten by scarf-ogre

2. Youngster Raz

Youngster Raz Member

After testing it a bit, I can say: It does what it's supposed to do pretty well - kill choice item users and Darkrai. It can win a few matchups that it shouldn't, because drawing out matches by disabling the main attacking move is just freeze waiting to happen.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  3. Disaster Area

PO Trainer Name:
    Disaster Area
    Raz, realised a few things:
    1] Need to calc Scarf Dark Pulse from Darkrai on Mewtwo
    2] We need to add other Mewtwo sets [i.e. it's own choice sets and depending on how bulky we think it is, life orb, focus sash, expert belt perhaps, and 4 attack sets with lum berry, as well as countercoat]
    3] Check if any other sets have been written on here already where we can move I over to
    4] Add bad matchups - i.e. not great with Umbreon, usually cannot beat lugia

4. Youngster Raz

Youngster Raz Member

1. Modest Darkrai does 90.08% - 105.95% against 0 HP / 20 spD Mewtwo (86.69% - 102.55% with 44 spD).
    Timid can't OHKO to begin with.
    Struggle with Modest or Adamant, 0 Atk against 0 HP / 248 Def Timid = 7.37% - 8.78%

2/3. Mewtwo isn't bulky at all, if it can't OHKO something, or 2KO and outspeed, it just won't win. Sets based on damage aren't anything special because Mewtwo is paper-thin compared to other Ubers (Which is probably the reason there hasn't been a thread on this before). It probably can just smash it's head against a few opponents, but most will just beat it. Also, it can't run countercoat because it doesn't actually get Mirror Coat.

4. This Mewtwo doesn't have a lot of attacking options, so it will lose to pretty much all non-choiced attackers, stallers, etc. There are a few exceptions, like the ones that only have a limited options to attack themselves - like Arceus-Ghost.Those are just "Freeze waiting to happen" after disabling that attack, like I stated in my earlier comment. It's built to kill Choice item users, and that, it does REALLY well.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  5. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

I wonder if Scarf Mewtwo is an option in 1v1...

6. Youngster Raz

Youngster Raz Member

It's fast by default, so it would win duels with other scarfers with appropriate coverage, but I reckon that's about it. The other matchups would be no different to standard Mewtwo. Tricking the scarf is a bit disadvantagous, because the enemy will most likely get another move in, specs is probably better for that. I'm currently trying specs trick disable a bit, let's see how that works out (max spA, max Spe, Timid nature, Psystrike and Aura sphere for coverage).

Also: Does anyone know why there's no Wifi version of 1v1? That would be soooo cool.

7. Youngster Raz

Youngster Raz Member

Ok, I had my fun with this set:
    Mewtwo @ Choice Specs
    EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    - Aura Sphere
    - Psystrike
    - Disable
    - Trick

Works pretty well, from what I can tell. It destroys a lot of unsuspecting foes, including Dark Void Darkrai. The generic threats kill it normally, but that can't be helped.
    It works better in general than the defensive disable version, but worse against specialized threats (Most notably banded Arceus and Kyogre).

8. Disaster Area

PO Trainer Name:
    Disaster Area
    Another counter to disable Mewtwo is shadow force choice band Arceus.
    Wondering if we change the EVs to take some from defense, since they're mostly their to defend against Umbreon, which it can't beat guaranteed, and allow it to move it into sp. def. to guaranteed survive a dark pulse + a struggle, and then throw the remaining EVs into Sp. Atk if we find no other usage for them.
    Whimsicott is an important threat; priority encore means that ice beam should always be the move of choice really
    We may still need defensive EVs for both Garchomp and Rayquaza outrages, tho it should be noted that it OHKOs both with ice beam. If it can survive the hits banded it would be preferable, but if not, thenit makes the set slightly more risky to use.
    Deoxys-A I think is beaten by this.
    I battled a Sableye [theory's] and beat it [it had protect, metal burst, sucker punch, and some, for me unknown, fourth move; deals significant damage with ice beam, but survives a metal burst from an ice beam too, and can disable a sucker punch that follows it.]

9. Disaster Area

PO Trainer Name:
    Disaster Area
    I think BF 1v1 and 1v1 ubers would be pretty cool, e.g. if you got given 3 pokes instead of 6, and had to choose one; we could make all the sets on there; 1v1 ubers would have to have at least 1 for each ubers poke, and then extra ones for significant pokes with extra viable sets. 1v1 Would have stuff like Jirachi, deo-d, Whimsicott, Sableye, Togekiss, Scizor, Breloom, Jolteon, Cloyster, etc.

10. Disaster Area

PO Trainer Name:
    Disaster Area
    The respective kyurems should be noted and calculated, but I suspect it can't survive them.

11. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

Let's try to keep BF out of this, please. Totally unrelated.

12. Disaster Area

PO Trainer Name:
    Disaster Area
    Oh also in recalculating the defense, we must remember we need to be able to withstand Arceus struggle + e-speed x1 each

13. Youngster Raz

Youngster Raz Member

You need Timid 0 HP / 52 Def to survive Adamant 252 Atk ES (59.49% - 69.97%) + Struggle (24.93% - 29.46%) from Arceus.

Modest Scarf White Kyurem 252 spA does 11.05% - 13.31% with Struggle to the 0 HP / 52 Def Mewtwo. Even with 0 HP / 252 SpD you still take 73.94% - 86.97% damage from the Draco Meteor. So to guarantee a kill against a CHOICE SCARFED white Kyurem, you'd pretty much need max Special Defense. The Specs variant can be outsped and disabled. Kyurem itself takes 48.59% - 57.29% (0 investment on Mewtwos attack and Kyurems Defenses) from Aura Sphere. 48 SpA EVs make it a clean 2KO against non-choice variants (If they don't have defensive investment).

Adamant Scarf Black Kyurem deals 76.77% - 90.93% with Outrage against 0 HP / 52 Def Mewtwo and also packs a mean Struggle of 21.53% - 25.5%. You need 0 HP / 204 Def to survive an Outrage + Struggle from the Scarf variant. Black Kyurem has less Special Defense, so with 0 Investment against a 0 Defensive investment Kyurem, it's a clean 2KO with Aura Sphere.

I hope I did everything correctly...

Also: What's your opinion on the idea of Wifi Gen 5 1v1, Xinc?

14. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

Those calculations are correct.

And Raz, I'll post my view on the thread you posted.

15. Youngster Raz

Youngster Raz Member

16. Disaster Area

PO Trainer Name:
    Disaster Area
    Mewtwo @ Lum Berry
    EVs: 204 Def / 88 SDef / 216 Spd
    - Aura Sphere
    - Protect
    - Disable
    - Ice Beam

Revised set:
    Changes mean:
    Can still survive Arceus, except weird mixed and defensive sets, which are quite rare, and still loses to most non-choiced users.
    Can survive Darkrai as long as you attack it with aura sphere, and you're not hit with a crit. Does this with 90 Sp. Def and Modest Scarfded 83.29% - 98.58% (294 - 348)
    Defeats Kyurem-B, but probably not Kyurem-W.
    Now less chance to survive Umbreon, but there's no guaranteed way to defeat that anyway.
    Non-choiced users, excepting Darkrai, give it trouble.

Will edit wiki soon.