1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

1v1 Jolteon

Discussion in 'Gen 5 1v1 Analyses' started by Disaster Area, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Disaster Area

Disaster Area Badged Deucer

PO Trainer Name:
    Disaster Area
    Jolteon (F) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Quick Feet
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Thunderbolt
    - Quick Attack
    - Hidden Power [Fighting]
    - Sleep Talk
    Alternative to this is HP Ice, depending on what threats you intend to hit. Fire should be noted too.
    Don't have time to even vaguely write this out proper; I haven't done much decent testing.

2. Disaster Area

PO Trainer Name:
    Disaster Area
    gets smashed by d-nite.

3. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

Because Jolty is so frail, maybe use 4hp/252atk/252Speed

4. Youngster Raz

Youngster Raz Member

Just by looking at it, I'd say the use of quick attack warrants a different nature, one that deducts from Defense (I know it's meant to finish off sash users, but you never know...). It's paper thin as is, so the difference should be negligible.
    Also, if you want to be trolly, you can use magnet rise to troll EQ users - would be more specialized, so worse against general threats of course.

I'm gonna give it a go, let's see how it performs...

Ok, from my tests so far: Fake out users give it a hard time, as well as Specially defensive opponents.
    Why exactly HP Fighting, it's not like you will beat Tyranitar with that, and fire is better against Mamoswine and Ferrothorn.

So the options are HP fire/ice/fighting? and Sleep Talk/Magnet Rise/Protect, I'd say.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  5. Disaster Area

PO Trainer Name:
    Disaster Area
    Glad we have some results for this. Ok so we know the sensible HP fights are either fire or ice, depending on what threats you want to hit. High Speed setup makes more sense. It's a very average pokemon in 1v1, tho it ought to have an analysis, saying that this is really the only viable set with protect and magnet rise in the OO section.
    Just needs a basic analysis written now ;)
    We really need to go through the backlog of stuff on here and move stuff to the wiki XD
    I'll get to it as much as I can ^^
    If anyone wants we could do some testing on BF 1v1 if that idea merits either of yours' approval; I can think of about 60 standard 1v1 pokemon for when it chooses standard 1v1 rather than uber and have an idea of what most of the sets look like; it would require some further set testing, as well as testing whether 2 or 3 pokemon should be in a team to choose from; it might not leave enough options for a player with 2 pokemon to choose from, although equally with 3 it might be too much decision and mindgames. It would probably contain common standard sets + a couple of our own individual sets that we've discovered are proficient in the tier to belong in this; comments? I realise I should make a thread about it, but at the same time it's not top priority.

6. Jolteonnn

Jolteonnn Jolt.

PO Trainer Name:
    Jolteon
    Jolteon is NOT frail ;-;

But seriously, this is okay. Depends on if you wanna take a risk with HP fighting, cos Dragons are overkill in 1v1.

7. Disaster Area

PO Trainer Name:
    Disaster Area
    HP Fight's kind of outclassed by Fire and Ice. That being said, it still has no chance against Dragonite; HP has only 70 Power, and whilst HP Ice is x4 on Dragonite, thunderbolt is x2, STAB, and higher base power; the damage that jolteon inflicts against Dragonite means that this change will not assist it in defeating it.

8. Youngster Raz

Youngster Raz Member

Thunderbolt is NOT x2 on Dragonite, it's neutral. HP Ice deals with Dragons, mainly D-nite, while Fire is useful against Abomasnow and Ferrothorn. Both are effective at dealing with Whimsicott and Breloom, henceforth I wondered what the bloody point of HP fighting was?

A rule of thumb for 95 base Power moves vs Hidden powers, Pie. STAB 95 Base Power moves reach 142.5 theoretical base power, so they are slightly stronger than a 2x stronger Hidden Power, which is 140, but about equal.

Also, 65/60/95 is pretty darn frail, with the abundance of physical attackers in the tier.

9. Disaster Area

PO Trainer Name:
    Disaster Area
    Didn't realise it was neutral on Dragonite; even so, the damage e-speed from d-nite inflicts, it still won't have the opportunity to defeat it.
    I had HP fight for mamoswine XD Don't ask. Please.
    I think this is almost ready for wiki, just so long as we get to tidying it up and organising it ;)

10. Youngster Raz

Youngster Raz Member

Fire would just do the same thing to Mamo, wouldn't it?

And it's true, E-speed Dnite cannot be beaten.

11. Youngster Raz

Youngster Raz Member

I wonder, should we post this set on the wiki as a Jolteon specific set, or a "@focus sash - STAB + priority + coverage + (optional) utility" - generic set and supply a list of Pokemon that can do that?

Because this sure isn't the only Pokemon that can use a set just like this.

12. Blitzamirin

Blitzamirin Waluigi! Number one!

PO Trainer Name:
    Blitz
    Can you at least give Yawn a mention? Paired with Protect, you can usually survive a move and have at least a guaranteed 2 turns to do damage. Obviously, Lum Berry users stomp you, but it's a viable alternative, imo.

13. Disaster Area

PO Trainer Name:
    Disaster Area
    Yawn could be listed in OO ^-^
    I think we need to cover individual sets for individual Pokémon, as that's the way most people search through these sorts of things; a standard sort of set-up like that could be mentioned on some sort of 1v1 introductory page.

14. Youngster Raz

Youngster Raz Member

What we could also do is: Make categories for kinds of sets, mention them in the general 5th gen 1v1 entry. Then add these categories to the individuel sets in like the first sentence describing it. Sash speedster, Status Staller, PP staller, Bulky attacker, miscellanious, for example.

15. Disaster Area

PO Trainer Name:
    Disaster Area
    I'd think we'd have quite a long discussion over sorting them like that.
    I'd say:
    Glass Cannons
    Bulky Attackers
    Bulky Stallers
    Troll Stallers
    Choice Users
    Miscellanious
    Something like this... my ideas there aren't the best by a long way.. guess it will take some figuring out XD but it might be a good idea

16. Youngster Raz

Youngster Raz Member