1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Sports] (Assoc) Football talk

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Zzyzx Road, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Zzyzx Road

Zzyzx Road Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Zzyzx Road
    Surprised to see no one really bothered making this since a lot of people in the community seem to enjoy AF.

Let's not make this "hurr durr it's soccer" as this is just for discussion of the sport.

Quite the hot topic right now, Brazil won the Confederations Cup after a week of everyday stubborn and self-confident Spanish players' interviews. Was anyone expecting BR's 3-0?

BRASILLLLLLL CAMPEÃOOOOOOO
    130622171344-neymar-goal-italy-brazil-confederations-cup-single-image-cut.jpg

2. Halsey

Halsey Wildstar

PO Trainer Name:
    Kat
    wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeck

fuck Spain
    Brazil #1
    Neymar is gonna donk in Barcelona
    Julio Cesar remembered how to be a good goalkeeper
    Sergio Ramos is a shit

3. Zzyzx Road

Zzyzx Road Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Zzyzx Road
    lol ramos penalty kick

The only complaint I have is that I was hoping for an amazing ultra-exciting heart-attacking overwhelming destroyingly disputed and balanced match, but Brazil just danced over the Spanish "tick tock"

not that I'm not fucking amazed and cheerful

4. Kumiho

Kumiho Silhouettes

PO Trainer Name:
    Kumiho
    I thought the match was going to be close, but Brazil raped them, lmao. Their players can only get better from now and next summer. I was a little skeptical, but this performance has convinced me that they are the real deal. Neymar is a monster and he's gonna be awesome with Messi. Lol, I wish South Korea could wreck teams like Brazil do.

5. Scene

Scene reverie

Little disappointed with the straight up demolition of Spain, but home advantage (70k home fans) and all. Someone really needs to step up to stop Brazil walking the WC, on that form.

6. Kumiho

Kumiho Silhouettes

PO Trainer Name:
    Kumiho
    Xavi already knew what was going to happen....
    [​IMG][/HIDE]

7. Zzyzx Road

Zzyzx Road Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Zzyzx Road
    I'll tell you something most people don't usually say, but I think the pressure from your fans watching a decisive match could be just as high as the pressure from an oppositive crowd (which in case you'd like to just prove wrong)

idk, but were I a good player I'd play a lot better under negative pressure (I'll prove those fuckers I'm better than they think) than massive support (I can't let all these people down), and you can see someone that works like that in Neymar and the constant taunting he gets (and gives back)

8. Jolteonnn

Jolteonnn Jolt.

PO Trainer Name:
    Jolteon
    You guys are forgetting David Luiz's incredible goal line clearance! He is one to watch out for in the next couple of years.

9. palkia62

palkia62 Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Palkia62
    I remember when Jesus Navas came on for Spain after they were losing 3-0 to Brazil and I was like 'Not even Jesus can save them now'. Seconds later he won them a penalty - which they missed so lol.

10. Zzyzx Road

Zzyzx Road Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Zzyzx Road
    Oh I was so going to mention that. His face after it was like "don't ever fuck with me"

[couldn't find a photo]

I don't recall who was elected Man of the Match, and that doesn't really make a difference, but who should be it in your opinions? Mine would go for David Luiz or Julio Cesar (who, as is worth mentioning, proved himself better than Casillas just as he used to before 2010's World Cup).

11. Sasuke Uchiha

Sasuke Uchiha God of tits and wine

PO Trainer Name:
    Yellan
    I'm interested to see how well Belgium will do in their first WC in 12 (!) years. Maybe they will be the ones to stop Brazil ;)
    Belgium has gathered a nice team over the years with some young talent, here are some examples: Courtois (goalkeeper/Atletico Madrid), Kompany (Manchester City), Vertonghen (Tottenham), Fellaini (Everton), De Bruyne (Chelsea), Witsel (Zenit), Hazard (Chelsea), Benteke (Aston Villa), Lukaku (Chelsea)...

The past few years have been a tragedy for Belgian football, but maybe now the turning point has finally come.

12. Zzyzx Road

Zzyzx Road Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Zzyzx Road
    I don't know how much you international peeps follow Brazilian football, but tomorrow's Santos x São Paulo should be a great match. That is, if Santos can do anything without Neymar.

edit: oh and São Paulo without a manager. He got fired yesterday and their coach will be doing the line-up and field changes tomorrow

13. braveswin11

braveswin11 I am back

PO Trainer Name:
    braveswin11
    Belgium for world cup 2014 :D

14. Arceus_17

Arceus_17 Avoid eye contact

PO Trainer Name:
    [Brief]A_17
    Any Serbian or Dutch football fans here by any chance?

I'd like to know your opinions on Djuricic (ex Hereenven) and Markovic (ex Partizan Belgrade). I'm a SL Benfica fan and so far we have bought 7 serbian players, which is really surprising since normally we tend to hire mostly south american players during silly season.

As for the World Cup, things don't look too good for my country, though it is fair to say they looked much worse a few months ago. I don't think Russia will screw up so much to lose 1st place and so I'm hoping we'll qualify through play-offs (again...)
    After all, what would be a World Cup in Brasil without Portugal? :o

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  15. rathodh61

rathodh61 New Member

You all guys forgot.....

Hikari.......I think you forgot that the "Manuel Neuer" from Bayern Munich (Germany) is a best goal keeper in the world.

16. Jalmont

Jalmont nothere

Some major wheelin' and dealin' happening in the transfer market atm. Navas to City, villa to Athletico (where did that come from??), gomez to fiorentina, aubameyang and mkhitaryan to dortmund, cavani probably going to PSG, paulinho to tottenham, higuain (probably?) to arsenal, and isco to madrid.

so what's been your guys' favorite move so far? (higuain wenger pls) least favorite? (athletico couldn't do better than villa??) is anyone else as disappointed as to how much money rules the game? the lack of loyalty? it makes me sad to see players like cavani and gotze leaving for teams with more money and it's probably my biggest problem with soccer right now :[

17. VuvuzelaΒzz

VuvuzelaΒzz •Sage

PO Trainer Name:
    Stephen Colbur
    As a Juventus fan, I'm quite pleased with them signing Tevez for 12 million €. I'd also say Dortmund are making some shrewd deals, which seems to be a staple of their transfer policy these days. Not quite sure Madrid know what they're doing at this point, I can't fathom why they'd need Isco. I've also found the direction the Arsenal rumours have taken quite amusing. Madrid's asking for more money for Higuain and Julio Cesar who was supposed to be close to signing for them is supposedly Napoli-bound. City splashing 40 million € on Fernandinho and PSG supposedly activating Cavani's 60 million € release clause both seem like blatant cases of overpaying. I guess they don't mind though and both players will probably be successful regardless, but it remains to be seen. I'm curious as to what happens with Ibrahimovic if PSG signs Cavani. If they decide offload him some club will get an amazing striker in the short-term.

18. Emperor PPP

Emperor PPP PKMNPurePower

As a Fulham fan, I'm disappointed to see Schwarzer contradicting the exact reason he left to go to Chelsea, but I'm happy with what we've done so far in the transfer window

19. Kumiho

Kumiho Silhouettes

PO Trainer Name:
    Kumiho
    I really hope Yaya Sanogo will actually get first team minutes at Arsenal. Watching him in the U20 World Cup has got me eager to see him play for Arsenal.

20. Jalmont

Jalmont nothere

I think sanogo will turn out to be an inspired signing (he is on FM!). I doubt we will see him much this year, but I can def. see him down the road 2-3 years as an amazing player. How would you characterize him as a player?

bony --> swansea. great signing. swansea have got some really good players, and barring injuries and assuming it all clicks (can't see why not) i could really see them challenging for europa (assuming they don't lose ashley, defense becomes ehhh if they do).

apparently higuain might not happen which sucks and i can't see arsene dishing out 40mil plus for suarez (anything over even 30 even becomes questionable for me)

forgot to add with my earlier post that i'm really happy mkhitaryan and aubameyang are part of dortmund now. really good signings that will hopefully make up for gotze and lewandowski leaving. i'm praying bayern aren't going to run away with it again...

21. Emperor PPP

Emperor PPP PKMNPurePower

I'm posting again because why not?
    So, Shahid Kahn has bought Fulham. Apparently, he's twice as rich as Al Fayed?
    Maybe some big spending in the future *hopes*

22. Jalmont

Jalmont nothere

rofl man city and man u lose friendlies

ARSENAL 7-0

arsenal champions y/y???

23. Zzyzx Road

Zzyzx Road Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Zzyzx Road
    y

lol measuring power against Indonesia

24. Jalmont

Jalmont nothere

Hey guys I was thinking about starting up a PO Fantasy Premier League league. I just want to know if enough people would be interested in joining. If the interest is there (even if only a couple want to play!) I will start up a thread in Forum Games and create a league on the site. So yeah, just let me know here or VM me or find me on the server to let me know you are interested so I can get the league setup.

edit - also would like to know if you guys would want h2h or classic league (h2h being play another team 3 pts 1 pt etc or classic which is most points wins!)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  25. [Black Knight]Gawain

[Black Knight]Gawain Knight of Zero

PO Trainer Name:
    [Black Knight]Gawain
    If Arsenal want to be champions, they have to really watch out for United,City,Spurs and Chelsea. Chelsea might win the league,seeing as Mourinho's gonna handle them or United might retain the title with new manager Moyes. Personally I have my fingers crossed on Spurs, they're amazing and deserve a title, although I wouldn't mind United winning. I definitely don't want City to win for sure though :/

26. Jolteonnn

Jolteonnn Jolt.

PO Trainer Name:
    Jolteon
    If Man Utd sign Fabregas, huge disgrace to Arsenal.

27. Zzyzx Road

Zzyzx Road Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Zzyzx Road
    it's funny how the brits name other teams favorites but it always ends up on man u, chelsea and arsenal (rarely man c)

28. Jolteonnn

Jolteonnn Jolt.

PO Trainer Name:
    Jolteon
    Chelsea will be the surprise team if they get off to a good start, because they really can be tough to beat. Spurs aren't quite title worthy yet but I'd love to see them in Europe. I'm a United fan so no bias! Just beat Man City, it'll be all good :D

29. Halsey

Halsey Wildstar

PO Trainer Name:
    Kat
  30. Jalmont

Jalmont nothere

Don't remind me :[

31. [Black Knight]Gawain

PO Trainer Name:
    [Black Knight]Gawain
    Well Wigan's been doing worse than Arsenal....oh wait, they've won a trophy.
    Even a relegated club has more recent success than Arsenal XD
    Jolteonn I'm a United fan too, but honestly I think Spurs are title worthy. They've been fairly consistent in their run, and they've deserved a spot in the Champions League, but they've narrowly missed out on it. Chelsea won't really be much of a surprise team, under Mourinho they have a better chance than they've had in the past couple of years. Personally I think they're going to do much better under Mourinho, but United's still strong, even without Fergie. We'll just have to wait and see.

PS. If Fabregas joins United, Arsenal fans are gonna headdesk everywhere.

32. Jalmont

Jalmont nothere

I created the fantasy league and here's the code to join it: 52672-46246 It's head to head, so the more people that sign up and play the better! If we get an odd amount of people I'll just make another team so we have even numbers.

so yea sign up please. i might create a thread in forum games for pure fantasy related talk, but then again it might only be a few people so it probably won't hurt to converse here.

Also, I created #soccer on PO if you wanna chill and talk soccer there, so hopefully someone comes to keep me company :D

33. Zzyzx Road

Zzyzx Road Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Zzyzx Road
    I can't enter the server :(

I'd sure be there tho

34. Jolteonnn

Jolteonnn Jolt.

PO Trainer Name:
    Jolteon
    Man City's recent signings are gonna make a worrying impact I reckon. Man Utd are falling behind in the transfer window and need to start signing. So do Arsenal. If they don't, they may lose out on some of their big targets and make next season a struggle!

35. Scene

Scene reverie

interesting to see Lahm playing mid for Bayern, they seem to be pretty damn good even though half the Barca team was Barca-B (Bayern 2-0)

36. [Black Knight]Gawain

PO Trainer Name:
    [Black Knight]Gawain
    United's losing out all their targets, but Jesse Lingard's turned out pretty good(although he's not a signing). Arsenal barely ever buy anyone, so this isn't much of a surprise.

Lahm played mid that match? I didn't get it to see it ;-;. Well Lahm does play wingback so there's no reason to see why he wouldn't perform well in mid. I wanna see Guardiola use some Barca tactics with Bayern. Gonna be interesting.

37. palkia62

palkia62 Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Palkia62
    Let's hope none of those Man city signings become like Maicon XD

But I agree with the second sentence, and being a Man Utd fan, they're going to be definitely struggling without making signings. They could really use a center midfielder with the fact that scholes is gone and Giggs will follow on soon enough (he can technically play centre midfield) and it seems all of their attempts are failing with Thiago going to Bayern and Barca wanting to keep Fabregas as a benchwarmer.

Arsenal definitely could use some signings, even though Wenger's gone crazy saying that Arsenal don't need signings to win the title.

38. Nikhil Parasanalli

Nikhil Parasanalli New Member

Woah. This season has been shocking till now. Man U dangling around Mid table. Arsenal topping the league and defeating Napoli with ease. Atletico Madrid winning all of their games. The next big thing would be PSG qualifiying for CL finals and winning it . :3

39. Wulfert

Wulfert It is me

This season has been very interesting so far. The teams that have surprised me most is Southampton, because they are doing so good. Then Swansea, because they are not. Being a Chelsea fan right now though, I can only hope for the best since too many people around me are anti-Chelsea.

40. Jalmont

Jalmont nothere

not too surprised by southampton i thought pochettino has done a quality job, especially towards the latter end of 12-13. glad to see he's infusing english and foreign talent but i think we'll see how good they truly can be this year when they start playing the top 6 (arsenal, lvpool, manu, mancity, spurs, chelsea)

arsenal for triple imo FA cup, champions, plus bpl - you heard it here first, they've got a quality squad along with the emergence of players like ramsey, will be really strong and will challenge unless giroud or a couple defenders go down - hopefully won't happen until after jan, give wenger time to buy etc

also lol sunderland