1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Sports] (Assoc) Football talk

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Zzyzx Road, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Jolteonnn

Jolteonnn Jolt.

PO Trainer Name:
    Jolteon
    Spurs. Destroyed. Say nothing else.

2. Nikhil Parasanalli

Nikhil Parasanalli New Member

Suarez has scored goals equal to the goals scored by the Whole tottenham team. Tightest defence? Three words for you Villas Boas. HA . HA. HA . These guys spent more than 100 million on their team's attack and this is what they get. 6-0 drubbing.

3. Jalmont

Jalmont nothere

as an arsenal fan, i can't help but be gleeful at the spuds, but as a soccer fan, i just can't help but wonder what's going on - i mean, you bring in all this talent and you still can only win 1-0 off questionable penalty decisions? i feel like i'm watching someone play football manager - throwing around a huge amount of money and then plugging everything in hoping it will work - soldado doesn't work with AVB's system, they aren't giving lamela a chance (and then, why buy lamela with townsend...), let assou-ekotto go on loan so you have no cover at LB, but buy two more CDMs, in a position they are already loaded on.

I don't get it man.

also lol arsenal might not go through in CL w/ 12 pts, but chelsea are guaranteed a spot w/ 9 pts...sad

4. The Simpson Menace

The Simpson Menace nostalgia

Any Predictions for United vs Bayer Leverkusen tonight?

i say an easy 2-0 victory

5. Jalmont

Jalmont nothere

2-1 leverkusen, 2 for kiessling (this man is very underrated) and rooney gets one set up by kagawa - wouldn't be surprised if united get more if kagawa is actually playing in the middle (looking at the lineups it appears he is)

leverkusen's got home advantage, a pretty crap united midfield led by 40 year old giggs and no rvp or vidic. i feel like that's too much to overcome for moyes

6. Arceus_17

Arceus_17 Avoid eye contact

PO Trainer Name:
    [Brief]A_17
    ^fail

Difficult win by Benfica, now we have to beat PSG (already qualified) and hope Anderlecht to grab a point in Athens. At least the dream is still alive..

7. Yagura

Yagura

PO Trainer Name:
    Yagura
    I always wanted to post here and this is the perfect time.

Well Briefy, you already know I'm a HUGE Benfica fan. I did well to choose to watch the Benfica match, it was intense and a goal in the last minutes (Ily Moreno) was just WOW. It won't be hard again PSG even though they have some awesome players, I believe we can do it!

8. Jalmont

Jalmont nothere

to be fair, i doubt most united fans would've predicted that result

anyways good showing by the gunners this weekend - surprising result was l'vpool - just added suarez to my fantasy team too :[ i mean, i guess manc lost to sunderland but still did not expect that one. you have to wonder how much rodgers and co. are going to miss sturridge

9. Nikhil Parasanalli

Liverpool's loss was sad. But the way Southampton lost was heartbreaking. I really expected them to give Chelsea some shocks. Even though they did do so in the 1st half. 2nd was completely ruined. Being a Liverpool fan, I still believe we can bounce back.

10. Wulfert

Wulfert It is me

World Cup draw today! So excited.

11. ZoroDark

ZoroDark i know everything

Ikr! I especially wonder what the "Group of Death" will look like, and what teams Belgium has to face.

12. Jolteonnn

Jolteonnn Jolt.

PO Trainer Name:
    Jolteon
    In the pre-draw the "Group Of Death" saw Brazil drawn with France, Italy and Australia. 3 of the past 4 world cup winners. Now that sort of group would be as exciting as any to watch!

13. VuvuzelaΒzz

VuvuzelaΒzz •Sage

PO Trainer Name:
    Stephen Colbur
    Draw's done. There's no real group of death unless we pretend England's a good side(or if you really rate Ghana, I guess).

14. Kumiho

Kumiho Silhouettes

PO Trainer Name:
    Kumiho
    I believe South Korea has a very good chance to advance. We can take on Russia and Algeria. Belgium will be tough.

15. Wulfert

Wulfert It is me

Do not underestimate Russia, brother.

The group of the death is probably the one with Chile/Spain/Netherlands/Australia, I'd say, considering Chile are a good side and will give Netherlands a good go.

16. -Mike-

-Mike- hi

PO Trainer Name:
    Mike Jenkins
    GROUP A
    Brazil
    Cameroon
    Mexico
    Croatia

GROUP B
    Spain
    Chile
    Australia
    Netherlands

GROUP C
    Columbia
    Ivory Coast
    Japan
    Greece

GROUP D
    Uruguay
    Italy
    Costa Rica
    England

GROUP E
    Switzerland
    Ecuador
    Honduras
    France

GROUP F
    Argentina
    Nigeria
    Iran
    Bosnia-Herzegovina

GROUP G
    Germany
    Ghana
    USA
    Portugal

GROUP H
    Belgium
    Algeria
    South Korea
    Russia

^ My early predictions on who would qualify.

Some groups real strong :/

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  17. VuvuzelaΒzz

VuvuzelaΒzz •Sage

PO Trainer Name:
    Stephen Colbur
    Chile isn't good enough on paper to be the third big side in a group of death in my opinion. They have Vidal, Sanchez and... I really don't think there's any group you can point to and say it has more than 2 sides that can go deep in the competition(on paper). The quality is pretty evenly distributed.

Anyways, predictions:
    [secret]GROUP A

Brazil
    Cameroon
    Mexico
    Croatia

GROUP B

Spain
    Chile
    Australia
    Netherlands

GROUP C

Columbia
    Ivory Coast

Japan
    Greece

GROUP D

Uruguay
    Italy

Costa Rica
    England

GROUP E

Switzerland
    Ecuador
    Honduras
    France

GROUP F

Argentina
    Nigeria

Iran
    Bosnia-Herzegovina

GROUP G

Germany
    Ghana
    USA
    Portugal

GROUP H

Belgium
    Algeria
    South Korea
    Russia[/secret]

18. Kumiho

Kumiho Silhouettes

PO Trainer Name:
    Kumiho
    Here are my predictions for the World Cup.

GROUP A

Brazil
    Cameroon
    Mexico
    Croatia

GROUP B

Spain
    Chile
    Australia
    Netherlands

GROUP C

Columbia
    Ivory Coast
    Japan
    Greece

GROUP D

Uruguay
    Italy
    Costa Rica
    England

GROUP E

Switzerland
    Ecuador
    Honduras
    France

GROUP F

Argentina
    Nigeria
    Iran
    Bosnia-Herzegovina

GROUP G

Germany
    Ghana
    USA
    Portugal

GROUP H

Belgium
    Algeria
    South Korea
    Russia[/HIDE]

19. Jolteonnn

Jolteonnn Jolt.

PO Trainer Name:
    Jolteon
    Did someone say predictions?
    GROUP A

Brazil
    Cameroon
    Mexico
    Croatia

GROUP B

Spain
    Chile
    Australia
    Netherlands

GROUP C

Columbia
    Ivory Coast
    Japan
    Greece

GROUP D

Uruguay
    Italy
    Costa Rica
    England

GROUP E

Switzerland
    Ecuador
    Honduras
    France

GROUP F

Argentina
    Nigeria
    Iran
    Bosnia-Herzegovina

GROUP G

Germany
    Ghana
    USA
    Portugal

GROUP H

Belgium
    Algeria
    South Korea
    Russia

20. Nikhil Parasanalli

So If Spain and Brazil top their respective groups, then they will face each other in the Round of 16. It would be either Netherlands or Spain facing Brazil in the quaterfinals. All three are too good. Cant wait for World Cup now <3

21. Jalmont

Jalmont nothere

world cup draw was interesting, it's going to be a good tournament

predicts:

A: Brazil and Croatia, mexico is such an overrated team who really should feel blessed to even be in - they don't have world class talent, hernandez doesn't play regularly. the only way i see them having a chance is if vela comes back. croatia is underrated imo (desperately unlucky not to get out of group stages in euro 2012), manduzkic is a fantastic striker who actually gets games in at bayern, modric is very good, and the only concern i would have is a weak defense

B: spain and netherlands, assuming that the dutch don't do a euro 2012 and flame out of the group stage. however, chile is also a threat (same team that finished ahead of uruguay in qualifying)

C: JAPAN and columbia - went for japan over ivory coast because i'm half-japanese :] i think japan is very dangerous and is only really missing a striker from becoming "known" on the world stage

D: england and uruguay - italy has no strikers, except for mario "yellow card" balotelli. i just don't see him stepping up when the game is on the line. that said, uruguay has very little defense, so i wouldn't be suprised if italy takes it from them. everyone hypes up how bad england are, but they really aren't that bad. i think they have the most "solid" team with regards to structure, with no area really being a weakness, whereas italy and uruguay do have some recognizable weaknesses.

E: ecuador and france - who is better, ecuador or the swiss? the swiss had a garbage group, while ecuador very much held their own, so i think ecuador has the edge here

F: argentina + bosnia - bosnia will be hungry to succeed, if anything, i feel bosnia might be the "dark horse" of the tournamnet

G: Germany + USA - the germans have fantastic team play, probably the best in the world. i think this is what will let them go far, they have so much talent, but they combine it all so effectively. there is no one star. going for the cheeky US pick, as klinsmann has done a solid job with the US, and they are not a one-man team. i actually like this group in that it gives the US a chance to show if they're the real deal or not. for portugal, it's basically, will ronaldo score enough to take them through and beyond? they just have no other threats other than the Ronaldo counterattack, the question is can others stop it? i say no, but we shall see

H: Belgium and russia - South korea has a chance, but i think russia is too strong for them to overcome

in other news, arsenal tied everton. unhappy to see such a weak goal given up, but we played a very strong everton side that for all intents and purposes looks like a champions league side. we picked up a point, which is better than losing. now let's get a point or 3 versus napoli :]

22. Wulfert

Wulfert It is me

I wonder if USA vs. Germany will start during 19.45..
    top bantz.

23. ZoroDark

ZoroDark i know everything

Problem with Croatia is that Mandzukic is going to be suspended for the majority of the group stage because of this tackle.
    [​IMG][/HIDE]
    I agree with most of your other predictions, except I'd definitely go with Italy > Uruguay, and possibly Switzerland > Ecuador. Granted, I don't know Ecuador well at all, but Switzerland is just a very solid side overall.

Also very thrilled for the Liverpool vs Spurs game next week. Very important for AVB and his troops. If only we had a decent striker...

24. Steam Baron

Steam Baron The Steamroller Guy

PO Trainer Name:
    Steam Baron
    D group is the "group of death". Every other group is too predictable or have an interesting combination. Anyway, predicts:

A)Brazil and Mexico - Except Mexico, no one should really best Brazil in this group so, that's it. Croatia or Cameroon may prove me wrong though and go past groups stage instead of Mexico.

B)Spain and Netherlands - I don't believe Chile could best Spain and Holland. And gg for Australia.

C)Japan and Ivory Coast - I don't remember Columbia doing good games lately, but I may be damn wrong. Both Japan and Ivory Coast are good team in their respective continents though. Also, this one is one of those interesting groups I mentioned earlier.

D)England and Italy - gg for Costa Rica. Tbh Uruguay is a strong candidate to go past groups stage, but I still bet on England and Italy getting this.

E)Switzerland and France - Despite the fact I think France is too overrated, I don't believe Ecuador or Honduras could best them. Switzerland, inversely to France, is damn underrated though. I see them as a great team since last World Cup and think they may even get to semi-finals in 2014.

F)Argentina and Bosnia - Argentina will have an easy time, but for the 2nd place, I'm betting on Bosnia cuz Nigeria isn't that good like in the past and Iran hasn't a world-level football imo. There's the plus this World Cup will be their first (or second, idk), so I believe they'll make an extra effort to go past groups stage at least.

G)Germany and Portugal - Germany has a damn good football, one of the best imo, so they'll make past groups stage and despite not being a fan of C. Ronaldo, I do believe his talent will be enough to best USA and Ghana.

H)South Korea and Russia - The most unpredictable group imo. Still, I do believe S. Korea will make it cuz experience and Russia will make it cuz they have a good football though. Since I don't know belgian football I may be underrating them but, for now, I don't believe they'll make past groups stage this time.

25. Wulfert

Wulfert It is me

Group A: Brazil, Croatia, Mexico, Cameroon - Brazil obviously and Croatia unless Mexico get Vela to play which I doubt will happen.

Group B: Spain, Netherlands, Chile, Australia - Good group. Aussies are done for. Spain and Netherlands.

Group C: Colombia, Greece, Ivory Coast, Japan - Colombia and Japan.

Group D: Uruguay, Costa Rica, England, Italy - No idea why this group is called group of death when B and G are way better. Uruguay and Italy.

Group E: Switzerland, Ecuador, France, Honduras - Ecuador and France.

Group F: Argentina, Bosnia, Iran, Nigeria - Argentina getting easy group, in else water is wet. Argentina and Bosnia to progress.

Group G: Germany, Portugal, Ghana, USA - Germany and Portugal.

Group H: Belgium, Algeria, Russia, South Korea - Belgium and Russia.

26. Arceus_17

Arceus_17 Avoid eye contact

PO Trainer Name:
    [Brief]A_17
    Group A: Croatia, Mexico

Group B: Spain, Netherlands

Group C: Colombia, Greece

Group D: England, Uruguay

Group E: Switzerland, Equador

Group F: Iran, Bosnia - Argentina will have a very hard time playing in Brazil knowing the rivalry/hatred these countries share in football. Bosnia has a fantastic squad and Iran will be a big surprise.

Group G: Germany, Portugal

Group H: Belgium and Russia

27. Kumiho

Kumiho Silhouettes

PO Trainer Name:
    Kumiho
    Come on now, there is no way in hell Argentina won't advance from the group stage. I don't see how Argentina/Brazil rivalry affects whether they'll advance or not.

28. The Simpson Menace

-My Barclays Premier League Review

~Shocking results
    -Manchester City 6-3 Arsenal
    *For me Arsenal have proved that they will not win the League. You can't concede 6 goals against City and think
    you are going to win the season. Arsenal clearly need to buy a defender that can help and fix their problem at the
    back. A Center Defense Midfielder scored 2 goals[Fernandinho] which was impressive. Man City need a defender that
    can really lead the defense line cause Demichelis is not doing good atm and was basically the reason why arsenal scored
    their first goal. Too bad for City that Aguero is out with an injury though if City get good results in the future games without him
    it could prove that they are no Reliant on him and that they can do well without him.[Time for Jovetic to shine :D]

-Tottenham 0-5 Liverpool
    *Totteham Hotspurs Did well by firing thier Manager AVB [Imo]. This season the team that spent over 100 million pounds on top
    class players lost 6-0 away and 5-0 home. I expected them do do better in both results. Tottenham is another team that has a
    huge problem at the back and that need someone like Gerard Pique. Suarez did well to score 2 great goals and to be involved in
    Jordan Henderson's Goal. Soldado couldn't prove himself once again by not scoring in open play. Paulinho made a stupid challenge
    causing him to get a red card. Jon Flanagan's goal was Top Noch for a Left Back. Tottenham need to get a Robert Di Matteo if
    they want Chapions League Football.

-Chelsea 2-1 Crystal Palace
    *This was a good chance for Chelsea to get atleast a 3-0 victory. It was shocking how they couldn't find the net More than twice.
    Torres Scored one which was disappointing. Chelsea Somehow need to Bring out the Torres from Liverpool who was scoring nonstop back then
    It was great for Crystal Palace to Equalize. Tony Pulis seems to have a good effect on Crystal Palace and hopefully this time they'll stay up
    in the Barclays Premier League for another season. Tbh I expected more from Chelsea but good Result from Palace.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

29. Jolteonnn

Jolteonnn Jolt.

PO Trainer Name:
    Jolteon
    The Champions League Draw:

Manchester City v Barcelona
    Bayer Leverkusen v Paris St-Germain
    Arsenal v Bayern Munich
    AC Milan v Atletico Madrid
    Olympiakos v Manchester United
    Zenit St Petersburg v Borussia Dortmund
    Galatasaray v Chelsea
    Schalke v Real Madrid

Looks like we're in for an interesting few games. Drogba back to face Mourinho, City and Arsenal drawing home first legs against possibly the two best sides in European football and Man Utd looking like getting off the hook.

30. Kaching

Kaching New Member

Is there a thread for college football?

[video=youtube;HqIBNX0CXDc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqIBNX0CXDc[/video]

31. MetalGross

MetalGross gems…

can tottenham stop sucking yet it's getting ridiculous
    at least adebayor's back i guess

32. VuvuzelaΒzz

VuvuzelaΒzz •Sage

PO Trainer Name:
    Stephen Colbur
    Tottenham needs their own version of this, though it is semi-covered there.

33. [Black Knight]Gawain

[Black Knight]Gawain Knight of Zero

PO Trainer Name:
    [Black Knight]Gawain
    Personally I'm really looking forward to Arsenal vs Bayern

Bayern is essentially the team to beat, and undefeated with the exception of the last loss to City. Arsenal have been doing spectacular so far and it'd be a real shocker to see them win.

34. The Simpson Menace

~Chelsea 3-1 Manchester United :(

~Moyes needs to act fast and get those big name players in. [Imo] We really need a Juan Mata in our Midfield cause we lack creativity.

~I can't believe that no one has posted in this thread for a Month

35. The Nikhil Parasanalli

The Nikhil Parasanalli The Brown Dynamite

PO Trainer Name:
    Nikhil Parasanalli
    WHAT. THE. ACTUAL. HECK. Man U loses to Sunderland. Mata is going to Man U. Chelsea hijacks Liverpool's target Salah. Me and my fellow Kopsites are quite angry. >.<

36. Maple Syrup

Maple Syrup blessermans

PO Trainer Name:
    Maple Syrup
    Diggin this thread

Spurs get rekt gain by the all powerful City!

Also Draxler to Arsenal anyone?
    How do you think that will turn out?

37. Jolteonnn

Jolteonnn Jolt.

PO Trainer Name:
    Jolteon
    If United don't sign a central midfielder I'm gonna be mad. There are a few top quality players out there, that we can easily afford and get hold of, and it isn't happening. Kroos, Gundogan, Fernando. Just, anyone.

Also, I think if Draxler plays off of Giroud he'll be an absolutely world class talent.

38. Maple Syrup

Maple Syrup blessermans

PO Trainer Name:
    Maple Syrup
    Man U got Juan Mata from Chelsea just this past week!

39. Jolteonnn

Jolteonnn Jolt.

PO Trainer Name:
    Jolteon
    Mata is great playing behind Van Persie/Rooney but he won't put in the tackles and blocks and protect that defense of ours which is falling apart! Deadline day honestly is one of my favorite days of the year, Zouma to Chelsea could be incredible for them in the next couple of years and Liverpool might have a gem in Konoplyanka too.

40. The Simpson Menace

Ok so as most of you know I am a Man United fan and F*** I am so pissed. United where supposed to sign a Defender(s) preferably Garay from Benfica I mean like we were interested in the guy dropping him like that was just wrong. People say United's Midfield is terrible, I say look at the defence its amazing how Moyes still plays Johnny Evens...with Ferdinand out on injury and Vidic suspended our defence SUCKS. Not to mention Evra who barely wins balls and Smalling...Oh Lord they have to replace smalling. These are the players we should have bought [including Mata]: Garay, Coentrao and Luke shaw... basically replacing that whole defence and yes I know that Luke shaw and Coentrao are both left backs but hey and yeah thats what I just wanted to say. :( No Toni Kroos.