1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[BW2] Tier Proposition: Wifi Gen 5 1v1

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Side Metagames' started by Youngster Raz, Jul 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Youngster Raz

Youngster Raz Member

Not sure if it is correct to post this here... probably isn't but here goes.

After playing quite a bit of 1v1 and 1v1 ubers, I came to the conclusion that Wifi 1v1 (and Wifi 1v1 ubers of course) would be a great addition to the roster. Normal 1v1 is a bit stale, and with the lacking playerbase, there is not a lot of variety to it. You'll run into the same people A LOT, and they usually don't switch up their contestant. Picking 1 out of 6 would be quite refreshing, I'd say.

It's a bit like the difference between CC 1v1 and wifi CC 1v1. Normal 1v1 is just "YOU HAVE ROCK" and you hope to run into a guy with scissors. Wifi would actually make that proper Rock Paper Scissors.

Imagine the mindgames you could play. You could have 3 Pokemon of your choice and 3 decoy pokemon that you don't actually intend to use. Or 4x the same Pokemon just with different sets, made to counter different things.

Clauses would be: Only Wifi clause.
    Current 1v1 ubers has the Species Clause for some reason, and that would be detrimental to the tier.

It sounds like a good idea to me, but feel free to add your thoughts to it, of course.

2. Scene

Scene reverie

We already do this in tours....I don't really think a whole new tier is needed. 1v1's playerbase is small as it is, this will just divide it and not entice many new players, imo.

3. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

It might add a handful more players, but that would do nothing to aid the current situation in non-wifi 1v1. And as Scizor said, it's already done in tours.

4. Youngster Raz

Youngster Raz Member

The fact that it's already done in tours just further raises the question why it's not a standard tier.

Also, "it's done rarely" is not exactly a reason not to do something more often in my book.

5. sulcata

sulcata stéphane curry best waifu Forum Moderator Server Administrator Forum Moderator Server Administrator

I would say that this would be a good idea (probably to replace the current 1v1), but it's a bit too late in the gen to switch over. Next generation it could be considered in place of No Preview 1v1.

6. Blitzamirin

Blitzamirin Waluigi! Number one!

PO Trainer Name:
    Blitz
    And iirc this existed at some point in the past.

Either way, this will just create a more smaller and deader tier (gets initial hype, then just dies and has small playerbases. Ladders such as Shanai Cup, Smogon [insert tier here] tiers, and No Preview Ubers are examples of this)

7. Scene

Scene reverie

I'd absolutely support it instead of normal 1v1, for G6, but it's one or the other. Definitely a step up strategy-wise, and more enjoyable to play!

8. Disaster Area

Disaster Area Badged Deucer

PO Trainer Name:
    Disaster Area
    I wonder whether having 6 Pokémon to choose from might make it too complicated, and if it could be a limit that you only have say 3 to choose from.
    I'd say maybe start with both in Gen 6 after main tiers are more or less sorted, then after 1-2 months, if there's no clear leaning to one sort or the other, there could be a vote as to which one should be kept.

9. Youngster Raz

Youngster Raz Member

Choosing from 6 would make it quite hard to determine what the opponent will use, true... 3 would be a lot more managable.

I wonder if it is even possible to limit the amount of pokemon you can enter a battle with at the moment, though.

It is still a few months until Gen 6... and even then, PO will not immediatly adapt to the new generation... or will it? I wouldn't know, I joined during Gen 5.

10. Blitzamirin

Blitzamirin Waluigi! Number one!

PO Trainer Name:
    Blitz
    It takes time to adapt. For instance, OU is pretty much the only tier (with a set Ubers banlist; typically the version mascots and things that have 660+ BST), and in the subsequent months, UU, and then the process repeats, then LU is formed.

11. Youngster Raz

Youngster Raz Member

That's not really what I meant... 1v1 is not exactly a tier that takes long to adapt to a new generation.

What I mean is: The time it takes to include everything that is new with Gen6.
    Gen6 won't have sprites, will it? So in order to include the new Pokemon, PO will need someone to make some, and that will take time.

12. sulcata

sulcata stéphane curry best waifu Forum Moderator Server Administrator Forum Moderator Server Administrator

Figured I'd close this since it doesn't need anymore discussion. This will not be happening before Gen 6 comes out. Once the side metagames get rolling a decision will be made between having one tier or the other.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.