1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Final] 1v1 Ubers Deoxys-A

Discussion in 'Gen 5 1v1 Analyses' started by Youngster Raz, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Youngster Raz

Youngster Raz Member

Really surprised no one has posted this before.

Offensive Deoxys-A
    Deoxys-A @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 252 Atk / 76 SAtk / 180 Spd
    Naive Nature (+Spe, -SDef)
    - ExtremeSpeed
    - Psycho Boost
    - Low Kick
    - Dark Pulse/Magic Coat/Taunt/Protect

The basic jist of this is to kill your opponent in 2 attacks as Deoxys-A is an origami alien that falls when faced with a light breeze but hits back like a typhoon. Psycho Boost deals massive damage to targets that don't resist it. Low Kick or Superpower provide much needed coverage. The fourth slot can either be filled with another coverage move or some utility against status inducers (e.g. Darkrai), Fake Out users or walls(e.g. Lugia). Things that survive one attack and can prioritykill are obliterated by the second fastest ExtremeSpeed in the game. The Speed EVs outrun Modest Scarf Kyogre and Mewtwo.

Other Options:
    - Deoxys has quite a colorful movepool, so just pick the coverage moves you want.
    - More Speed investment beats other Deoxys-A.

Matchups:
    - Defensive Arceus variants survive the Low Kick + ExtremeSpeed
    - Other Deoxys with more Speed
    - Sandstorm/Hail inducers that don't die in one hit

Countercoat Deoxys-A
    Deoxys-A @ Focus Sash
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 Atk
    Jolly (+Spe -SpA)
    - ExtremeSpeed
    - Counter
    - Mirror Coat
    - Taunt

Do I really have to say anything about this? Something stares at you - Deoxys falls to 1 HP, Counters back for instantkill or near Death - finish with ES. Taunt for enemies that don't try to attack you.

Other Options:
    - Protect against Fake Out users and to find out what kind of attack the opponent might use (like Rayquaza).

Matchups:
    - Things that break through Sash, e.g. Fake Out, Sandstorm/Hail or multi hit moves
    - Special Dark types, as Mirror Coat doesn't affect them.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  2. Disaster Area

Disaster Area Badged Deucer

PO Trainer Name:
    Disaster Area
    Hyperoffensive set needed; e-speed, maybe protect, and usually 2 special attacks, e.g. psycho boost and a second move. Good OO I think.

3. two sides of one coin

two sides of one coin sick of all her shit

You should mention Deoxys-S outclasses it in this role.

4. Dr. Fuji

Dr. Fuji Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Dr. Fuji
    Yeah making a Deo-A set with only one attacking move is a little crazy while the set you have there isn't terrible it should be by no means the main set. Also please fix the EV's what's the point of 252 speed when Counter/Mirror Coat are -5 Priority, Extremespeed is +2 priority and Magic Coat is +4 priority meaning there is almost no need for Max Speed EV's unless you want to speed tie other Deo-A's other EV spreads to consider below.

EVs: 252 HP / 108 Atk / 148 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    Which makes your Extremespeed go before 252 Speed Jolly Arceus

EVs: 252 HP / 240 Atk / 16 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    Which makes your Extremespeed go before 252 Speed Adamant Arceus

Offensive Deoxys-A is a really versatile set and really you just want to pick the 4 best moves for whatever the current metagame is. You always want to be running Extremespeed and usually at least 2 other attacking moves Protect/Magic Bounce work in the last spot or another coverage move generally I find the below set to be the best.

Deoxys-A @ Focus Sash
    EVs: 252 Atk / 76 SAtk / 180 Spd
    Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
    - ExtremeSpeed
    - Psycho Boost
    - Low Kick/Superpower
    - Dark Pulse/Magic Coat/Protect

-Extremespeed for obvious priority reasons.
    -Psycho Boost being its strongest STAB attack hits neutral targets hardest.
    -Low Kick hits Darkrai/Arceus/Dialga/Tyranitar.
    -Dark Pulse provides coverage against Psychic Types.
    -Protect saves you from fake out users.
    -Magic Coat puts Darkrai users in a tough position.
    -Speed EV's outrun Modest Choice Scarf Kyogre and Mewtwo.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  5. Youngster Raz

Youngster Raz Member

TheSexiOne: I wouldn't exactly say Deo-S outclasses it as Deo-A potentially takes more damage and in turn returns more, plus, stronger ES.

Mewthree: The point of the Speed is solely to potentially win the mirror match and the only case where the attack would matter is against subseeders, as CounterCoat can't win against walls anyway (except with Taunt, maybe). Also, wouldn't taunt fulfill the same purpose as Magic Coat, while still giving better chances against walls? I don't know, Taunt just seems better to me.

PS: I heard you were gone for some time, Mewthree, are you back now?

6. Dr. Fuji

Dr. Fuji Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Dr. Fuji
    I'm only back temporary I'm leaving again tomorrow. Don't use taunt you don't want them to attack you as everything is bringing you to your sash that hits you unless you use it against a non attacking move you lose while Magic Bounce has the advantage of bouncing back the attack.

7. Youngster Raz

Youngster Raz Member

If you're attacked while Magic Coating, it's still the same as Taunt. Magic Coat pretty much covers the same moves - minus Subtitute and stuff, or are there any exceptions I don't know of?

Example: Dark Void from Darkrai. Magic Coat shoves it back, Taunt makes him not able to use it anymore.

Case Magic Coat: He sleeps. You can kill him.
    Case Taunt: He can't sleep you anyway, you kill him.

He Dark Pulses.

Case Magic Coat: You die.
    Case Taunt: You die.

8. Dr. Fuji

Dr. Fuji Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Dr. Fuji
    By that logic you should slash Taunt in on the first set as well in fact it would be more important there as you are trying to get them to attack you. After thinking about it you should probably remove Superpower I can't think of anything so light that Low Kick isn't worth it (2HKOing 4HP Arceus is too important). Mention max speed can be used on the second set if you're worried about other Deoxys-A.

9. Blitzamirin

Blitzamirin Waluigi! Number one!

PO Trainer Name:
    Blitz
    As someone who's used CounterCoat Deo-A in the past extensively, I can attest to its usefulness. First off, it was unpredictable when used, being able to destroy almost anything with its wide movepool, so people didn't hesitate to attack. That's when CounterCoat comes into play. You will struggle against physical Ghost types (Giratina and Ghostceus) and special Dark types (Darkrai and Darkceus), but you beat a lot of stuff that is inclined to one side of the offensive spectrum (and occasionally, mixed attackers). Run enough speed to outrun Espeed Arceus (16 Speed EVs for Adamant); iirc, you could beat Darkrai with 2 Extremespeeds, provided that it attacked or Dark Void missed (using that spread). Though, the set is still niche, and with more people aware of its usefulness, it is less effective. As much as I would like it to be the main set, it doesn't work as well anymore...

10. Youngster Raz

Youngster Raz Member

Made the alterations you wanted. Hope I didn't miss anything in the other sections. Also swapped the 2 sets around - the offensive set is the more known one, after all.

About Low Kick: Well, I DID meet a Dunsparce once........

About Darkrai: Made a calculation. Even with 252 Atk, Naive nature, you cannot guarantee a 2KO on 4 HP / 0 Def Timid Darkrai with ExtremeSpeed (43.26% - 51.06%), but you can Taunt and/or Mirror Coat.

11. Dr. Fuji

Dr. Fuji Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Dr. Fuji
    Mirror Coat won't effect Darkrai because of its Psychic Typing you need to hope for good damage rolls off of Extremespeed or Magic Coating Dark Void to beat it.

You can outspeed Adamant Arceus without a Naive Nature you can do 47.52% - 56.03% (134 - 158) with max Adamant so you have a 47.27% chance to 2HKO 4 hp Darkrai.

P.S I should mention that animated signatures aren't allowed on this forum you should change your Umbreon to a static one.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  12. Blitzamirin

Blitzamirin Waluigi! Number one!

PO Trainer Name:
    Blitz
    I distinctively remember koing Darkrai whenever I was given the opportunity (oh, and I did list Darkrai as a Pokemon you struggle against since it is immune).

If I remember correctly, the lack of animated gifs in avatar / signature rule is in place because of the fact that it may lag the page when viewed. That is so small (file size wise) that it shouldn't be a problem. Heck, I didn't even notice it until you pointed it out >_>

13. Youngster Raz

Youngster Raz Member

Didn't know that about the signature, makes sense though. The image was from the PO wiki.

Dangit, I always forget that Mirror Coat doesn't work on dark types.... ALWAYS!

As I said,you can't guarantee the KO on Darkrai, and when somethings not guaranteed, I say it's not a safe matchup. I wouldn't call Darkrai against banded Arceus a safe matchup as well.

14. Youngster Raz

Youngster Raz Member