1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

First Official Forum/Sim wide tournament.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by B. Rizzo, May 11, 2010.

1. B. Rizzo

B. Rizzo A relic of the past, given new life.

PO Trainer Name:
    B. Rizzo
    When and if would you guys feel it to be right to host a tournament of that magnitude. If anything i'd say until the first official (Stable/not beta) release of the sim. Until then, maybe some minor ones in the forum to test the waters a bit, so just throwing stuff out there.

2. Akusu

Akusu Guest

The only reason I can think of NOT to have one soon (stability has not been an issue until recently with freezes/crashes happening) is that if we leverage it right, we could potentially turn it into a big draw to this simulator and help the community grow as a whole. That happening would be most appropriate when Coyotte decides that the simulator is out of beta and does an official release.

I we planned it right, by making it official and season-based, we could get a fair amount of excitement going.

3. Eternal

Eternal こんにちは。

Not right now. Maybe in the future.

4. Steve

Steve Active Member Administrator Server Owner Administrator Server Owner

I think this is a good idea. We could ask large Pokemon communities to join the tournament (with permission, of course), which will hopefully help the simulator gain more users.

Only when it's out of beta though.

5. coyotte508

coyotte508 Well-Known Member Administrator Server Owner Administrator Server Owner

Well, due to the recent events, beta isn't coming out of beta soon :)

And the program is pretty stable anyway, so there's no harm of having more users now.

6. Steve

Yeah, but Pokemon related bugs are still being reported every day. This could make certain tournament battles unfair.

7. Darkness

Darkness DN

First of all, we are still in beta. Secondly, we haven't really started working on the tournament system since it isn't much of a priority at this point. True, we will have tournaments but not now.

8. Steve

I think Rizzo ment it should be arranged by a person, not the program/script. So a tournament system isn't needed to run a tournament.

9. coyotte508

coyotte508 Well-Known Member Administrator Server Owner Administrator Server Owner

Zeroality already has a plan to install a VBulletin extension for tournaments. Well, we'll discuss it, and answer.

10. B. Rizzo

B. Rizzo A relic of the past, given new life.

PO Trainer Name:
    B. Rizzo
    Yes, I did mean that. However if its not meant to be right now I understand, during the meantime I guess they are bigger priorities.

11. Jules

Jules i make you MANGRY

its not time yet.

12. zeroality

zeroality Artificial Insanity

By the time PO is stable, we will have stuff ready for tournaments. It is extremely unfair if someone wins a tournament match due to a bug or something.

13. Kioku

Kioku Member

That Kioku guy would win, anyway. It's not worth holding a tournament.

14. Avi

Avi Member

Hey guys, I have a tournament all set up and I submitted it to Smogon, but they denied my request because there are too many right now, so Id be more than happy to host it here... Any thoughts?

15. zeroality

We already decided to not hold official tournaments until PO is out of beta. It would be terribly unfair if an user were to lose due to a bug, and could potentially become a difficult situation to moderate. We can't very well hold users responsible for errors with game mechanics.

I plan on implementing a system integrated into the forums so stay tuned.

16. Avi

Avi Member

zero, I know that. I was talking about after PO is released. Like can my tournament be one of the first "official" ones? Like one that will run for several seasons like the official ones on Smogon/Shoddy?

17. zeroality

You can PM me the idea. If it's good then we'll probably do it but I haven't decided on season formats yet.

I think we still have some time before we're out of beta.

18. Silverbolt

Silverbolt New Member

Would be nice, but not till official release.