1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Final] Golurk

Discussion in 'Gen 5 UU Analyses' started by Virizion, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Virizion

Virizion ~ Taste the Rainbow ~

PO Trainer Name:
    Virizion
    On Wiki

***JUST SAYING THE WIKI ANALYSIS HAS SOME EDITS FROM THE SKELETON BELOW. SO THERE'S THAT.***

Hey guys and girls!

Going to try to do one (1) Wifi UU Analysis a day. For now, here's Golurk:-

==General==
    *Has a unique Ghost / Ground typing whcih works well offensively.
    *Has decent bulk and a nice attack stat.
    *Two (2) great abilities in Iron Fist and No Guard (the latter is underrated), while a unique ability in Klutz.
    *Gets a nice movepool to support all this (including Stealth Rock).
    *Can come in on Heracross and Mienshao.
    *Slow, so it can be used under Trick Room.
    *Can have competition with Swampert for a Stealth Rock Supporter.
    *Has a huge number of type-weaknesses.
    *Overall, a great Pokemon if used properly.

==Tank==
    Golurk @ Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Fist
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Punch
    - Shadow Punch

*Golurk's main set and it can abuse it well thanks to decent bulk and low speed as well as quite a few resistances.
    *EVs are used to take both Physical and Special hits well as well as to become a potential force with as much attacking power as possible. 4 SDef EVs are used to ensure that Porygon2 and Porygon-Z don't get their preferred Download boost.
    *Stealth Rock helps allies to take out foes a bit easier, and is a good move to use in general.
    *Earthquake is a powerful STAB that damages Victini, Darmanitan, Raikou, Empoleon and the like very well.
    *Fire Punch helps Golurk take out Grass-types, Steel-types and Bug-types easier and it does a lot of damage thanks to Iron Fist.
    *Shadow Punch is also a powerful STAB combined with Iron Fist and it helps Golurk take on a couple of foes a little bit easier.

==Choice Band==
    Golurk @ Choice Band
    Trait: Iron Fist
    EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Earthquake
    - Shadow Punch
    - Fire Punch
    - Ice Punch / Thunder Punch

*Golurk can also run a Choice Band set which is a tad underrated because of Golurk's low speed stat.
    *The EVs allow Golurk to outrun Base 65's, have as much attacking power as possible and the rest are dumped into HP for some nice overall bulk.
    *Earthquake is a strong STAB which helps Golurk take on, as mentioned before, Victini, Darmanitan, Raikou, Empoleon, Registeel etc.
    *Shadow Punch is another STAB that can be used to take on Psychic types such as Azelf, Mew and Victini as well as the fact that it's not a bad move at all to be locked into.
    *Fire Punch is Golurk's way of Roserade, Virizion, Bisharp, Bronzong (Levitate varients), Amoonguss (to some extent) and the like. It gets some nice power coupled with Choice Band and Iron Fist!
    *Ice Punch can be used to take on Flygon and Gligar easier, while Thunder Punch helps Golurk to beat weakened Water-types in the tier that can't OHKO Golurk. Either take on Crobat.

==Other Options==
    *Hammer Arm or Drain Punch could be used because they are both boosted by Iron Punch and it has good coverage with Earthquake.
    *Rock Polish can be used however Golurk is too slow to use it effectively, but it can be done well.
    *A SubPunch set with No Guard can be used however Dynamic Punch doesn't get STAB and is therefore outclassed by Machamp and to a lesser extent, Heracross.
    *Golurk also has Stone Edge so it can form an EdgeQuake combo, however it can be outclassed by Ice Punch.

==Checks and Counters==
    *Powerful Dark, Ghost, Grass and Ice-types can outspeed and proceed to OHKO or 2HKO Golurk.
    *Mismagius in particular however can OHKO Golurk as long as Spikes on the field.
    *Bulky Water-types with enough health like Swampert, Suicune and Milotic can take a hit and hit back with a Waterfall or Scald.
    *Burn can cripple Golurk as most sets lack Substitute, so it is sometimes recommended that Golurk gets paired up with a cleric.
    *Gligar can stall with ToxicRoost on non-Ice Punch varients, however it must be wary.
    *Togekiss and Zapdos can either Air Slash or Hidden Power [Ice] Golurk, however once again both sets must be cautious of Ice Punch.
    *Pursuit can really hurt Golurk when it switches out if the opponent is powerful enough.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  2. Spoovo The Pirate

Spoovo The Pirate Meep! Article Contributor Article Contributor

I'd personally move those 4 Speed EVs to Special Defence on the first set, because if that set were to become standard, with 4 Speed EVs, you'd have Speed ties regardless. It's also worth noting that there aren't any other base 55s that are commonly seen in UU (that I can think of), so Speed creeping them is also moot. 4 SDef on the other hand stops Download Pory2 and PoryZ from getting any ideas. Seeing as both of them naturally outrun Golurk and have powerful Ice Beams to hit it hard with, as well as immunity to Shadow Punch, they've both got a few good reasons to come in. (Hell, Pory2 could even try and trace No Guard, and then fire off powerful Blizzards and Thunders with perfect accuracy. Unlikely though).

I take it the other sets are gonna be Rock Polish and a No Guard abuse set?

3. Virizion

PO Trainer Name:
    Virizion
    Btw guys, why I don't upload everything at once is because I have to make sure my laptop doesn't overheat and make me lose all my data (I can never find autosave editions, and it takes forever to type it all back up again, especially if loads of progress has been made).

Good point, I'll change those over, thanks.
    I put them in Other Options! :)

4. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

I often find Timid Mismagius unable to OHKO Golurk with Shadow Ball without spikes support. Maybe that should be added onto the counters as a side note.

5. Virizion

PO Trainer Name:
    Virizion
    Added!