1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Final] Yanma

Discussion in 'Gen 5 LC Analyses' started by Rioku, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Rioku

Rioku Not again.

PO Trainer Name:
    Shou
    {{pokeheader}}
    {{TOC}}

==General==
    Due to recent shifts in the current LC metagame, compoundeyes Yanma is now legal in standard LC. Yanma is one of the most dangerous Pokemon in the tier. It ties for the highest speed at an un-boosted 20 with a positive nature, a roughly 78% accurate sleep move, and a very useable special attack of 17 on a neutral nature. What’s not to love? Stealth rock. Yanma suffers from a devastating 4x weakness to stealth rock that can severely cripple it in play. Thankfully its stealth rock weakness can be somewhat mitigated by an oran berry. That's not to say that an Oran Berry is the only item Yanma can use. It can make use of a variety of items to find a spot on just about any team.

==HypnoWrecker==
    {{set
    |name=
    |pkmn=Yanma
    |item=Oran Berry
    |item2=Life Orb
    |ability=Compoundeyes
    |nature= Timid
    |ev=240 SpAtk / 236 Spd
    |move1=Hypnosis
    |move2=Air Slash
    |move3=Bug Buzz
    |move4=Hidden Power Ground
    |move42=Giga Drain
    }}
    This set focuses on mitigating Yanma’s horrible stealth rock with an oran berry, allowing it use mid game, or abusing its power to its limit. Yanma's greatest ability in LC comes from its roughly 78% accurate hypnosis, so finds its most use as a sleep inducer and a {{5glc|Timburr}} counter, having a 4x fighting resist. It can handle many common threats such as {{5glc|Magnemite}}, {{5glc|Abra}}, and to some degree {{5glc|Ferroseed}} and {{5glc|Chinchou}}, with its superb coverage, amazing dual STAB, and accurate hypnosis. Yanma can also abuse its high special attack and good coverage to pull off a few KOs, and even sweep in some cases. The oran variant is safer to use on a team without a spinner, while the Life orb variant is better used on a team with a reliable spinner or method to keep rocks off.
    ==Scout==
    {{set
    |name=
    |pkmn=Yanma
    |item=Life Orb
    |item2=Oran Berry
    |ability=Compoundeyes
    |nature=Timid
    |ev=240 SpAtk / 236 Spd
    |move1=Hypnosis
    |move2=Air Slash
    |move3=Bug Buzz
    |move4=U-Turn
    |move42=Hidden Power Ground
    }}
    This Yanma is a highly effective scout and can be used as a lead. Yanma can use a combination of Hypnosis and U-turn to create an extremely useful scout and an amazing {{5glc|Munchlax}} lure. Yanma is also one of the greatest anti leads in the game, being able to shut down almost every other common lead, and it high speed gives it the fastest non-scarfed U-turn in LC. It's amazing dual STAB provides good coverage against common threats, and the sash variant can reliably take down {{5glc|Larvesta}}, with support. By having 23 HP, Yanma can switch in to stealth rocks two times, which helps its effectiveness as a scout. Yanma can also provide a good deal of momentum at any time during the match. Scout Yanma is a great option for hyper offensive teams. The traditional Yanma move set is viable as a sash user, but lacks the same usefulness as a scout. Yanma can make a dent in almost any team and should always be considered when looking for a scout.
    ==Substitute==
    {{set
    |name=
    |pkmn=Yanma
    |item=Eviolite
    |item2=Oran Berry
    |ability=Compoundeyes
    |nature=Timid
    |ev=240 SpAtk / 236 Spd
    |move1=Substitute
    |move2=Bug Buzz
    |move3=Air Slash
    |move32=Giga Drain
    |move4=Hypnosis
    |move42=Hidden Power Ground
    }}
    This Yanma set focuses on taking advantage of its wide move pool and usable bulk. Once Yanma is behind a sub it becomes extremely difficult to KO, with multi hit moves being the most reliable method of stopping it. This Yanma variant does not always run hypnosis, so it finds more use as a late game cleaner. Sub Yanma can laugh at some of its checks such as scarf {{5glc|Chinchou}}. Giga drain can insure that Yanma stays at high health and provides good coverage against threats such as {{5glc|Drilbur}}, {{5glc|Chinchou}}, and {{5glc|Clampearl}}. It can also use various hidden powers to provide good support coverage dependent on the team. Oran Yanma should be used on teams with out a hazard blocker, while Eviolite Yanma works best with hazards support. The Eviolite variant is much more reliable with support, and does a good job of boosting Yanma's already decent bas 11 defenses. Sub Yanma is one of the strongest late game cleaners in existence, and should always be considered when building a team.
    ===Other Options===
    Yanma can run a good choice specs set. A specs variant of Yanma makes better use of Yanma's speed as the fastest Pokémon in the tier, and can use moves such as shadow ball to somewhat check {{5glc|Misdreavus}}. Yanma can also run a sub roost set which offers much more longevity at the sake of coverage. Sub roost is the longest lasting set.
    ===Checks and Counters===
    Yanma's only true counter is {{5glc|Munchlax}}, who can take multiple hits from Yanma and ignore the effects of sleep to a certain degree. Most scarfers can somewhat reliably check Yanma. {{5glc|Chinchou}} is possibly the most reliable of theses checks and can deal massive damage with a super-effective STAB move. {{5glc|Magnemite}} is another good check when equipped with a scarf in much the same manner as {{5glc|Chinchou}}

Bulky Pokémon such as {{5glc|Frilish}} and {{5glc|Likitung}} make excellent checks to Yanma by being able shrug off most hits and retaliate with either a status move or a stab move, the former being the better check due to its instant recovery. {{5glc|Ferroseed}} can somewhat check Yanma, but this requires rock support. Yanma also fears both common multi hit moves, as both hit for super-effective damage.
    ===Synergy===
    Yanma works well in conjunction with spinners and {{5glc|Timburr}}. Commons spinners such as {{5glc|Staryu}} and {{5glc|Drilbur}} can reliably keep rocks off the field saving Yanma from their crushing effect. {{5glc|Timburr}} works well with Yanma by being a very reliable {{5glc|Munchlax}} check. It also has very good coverage when used with Yanma. {{5glc|Magnemite}} works well with Yanama because Yanma can check Magnemite's fear of fighting and ground types.

Yanma loves hazard support. Many of Yanma's common checks lack the ability to recover, so the residual damage from hazards helps greatly when facing them. Yanma also lacks the ability to OHKO many Pokémon without hazard support. some good hazard setters are {{5glc|Dwebble}} and {{5glc|Pineco}}.

I suck at this. Anyways a lack of a Yanma analysis was bugging the heck outta me, so I made one. This is exactly what I put on the wiki, but I figured it needed some forum help to since its a little short in some areas.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  2. Weavile

Weavile Phoenix

If you are as unsure of your analyses as you seem to be you should probably post it for help first, it makes it so we don't have to edit it in two places.
    I would not call the Sub set "bulky sub" it has 0 bulk investment. I would name it "Sub Hypnosis" and make Hypnosis not a slash move, Hypnosis is essential for the Sub set. Also Bug Buzz should /never/ be a slash move, it's essential for pretty much any Yanma. Air Slash is the "secondary" STAB. I would also argue that HP Ground is more important in the current state of things than Giga Drain, with Magnemite being particularly common.
    I strongly dislike "lead" sets in Wifi tiers, I would remove that all together.
    A U-Turn set not as a lead (with Oran) seems like a reasonable set though, I'd not object to that.
    I would remove Scarf from OO, Scarf Yanma is pretty much a redundancy. I would never describe Yanma as a "wall" even though it's bulk is not so bad, walls have little offensive presence and usually middling or low speed, so I'd remove that mention, however I would mention that Roost Eviolite can give it greater staying power than other sets in exchange for some power over Life Orb sets.

will probably come back in a bit! Thanks for writing this, I feel a bit mean but it's not terrible!

3. Rioku

Rioku Not again.

PO Trainer Name:
    Shou
    When I posted this to the wiki I didn't know about the forums page. Most of the information I got came from talking to various people on PO such as the lead set.

Yeah scarf does seem a bit redundant now that I think about it, and I really couldn't come up with another name for the sub roost set. I had to put that because it does see some usage.I went a little bit to much into describing its effectiveness as a leading scout, heh, I meant to make a scouting set fixing that. I wanted to use Yanma's speed as a form of scouting, similar to scarf Genesect in Ubers. I also had some help with that set.

I will make the move set changes, when I did the slash moves I don't think I tought through what moves go where. I'll also change the description on the scout set. Thanks for the help.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  4. Artemisa

Artemisa Well-Known Member

When I told you about U-turn, I meant LO 3 special attacks + U turn. That way you can scout the incomming Munchlax or other sleep talkers and bring the appropriate pokemon to counter or check. Either Hypnosis or U-turn should be on the LO set imo (4th move that is since the first three are mandatory coverage).

Just my imput.

5. Rioku

Rioku Not again.

PO Trainer Name:
    Shou
    What I have now works really well. On a team without Munchlax I just Hypnosis and then U-Turn. Since Bug Buzz and Air Slash have decent coverage. It works well with Chinchou for VoltTurn. I'll probably put life orb over focus sash. Yanma has to many options that run the same sets...

I think I got everyone's suggestions added.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  6. Mylo Xyloto

Mylo Xyloto if your world falls apart, i'd start a riot

PO Trainer Name:
    Mylo Xyloto
    Wow I should check this forum more often. Anyway this looks pretty good. The only thing I think is lacking is the Checks and Counters section. Magnemite can taking hits all day and the Scarf set can easily outspeed, KO and grab momentum with Volt Switch. Bulky pokemon like Frillish, Lickitung and Ferroseed can tank multiple hits, the former can even recover lost health. Choice Scarf pokemon can outspeed (and most likely ko) or force Yanma out. Although rare, multi-hit moves like Rock Blast and Icicle Spear easily beats or force the sub variants out. Mention in the synergy section how Yanma loves hazard support as it helps soften its checks, especially those who lack recovery.

7. Rioku

Rioku Not again.

PO Trainer Name:
    Shou
    Ok I added your changes, but I've never had any problems with Ferroseed when using Yanma, except when rocks are up. Thanks for the help.