1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Skeleton] Zoroark

Discussion in 'Gen 5 UU Analyses' started by Virizion, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Virizion

Virizion ~ Taste the Rainbow ~

PO Trainer Name:
    Virizion
    Hey guys and girls!

Just a quick note, all of my approved analyses will be up on the Wiki on the 31st of July 2013 (31 / 07 / 2013), two (2) days before my holiday resort. For now; here's Zoro(d)ark (see what I did there? xD).

==General==
    *Zoroark is a unique Pokemon with a unique ability, Illusion.
    *It boasts amazing offensive stats, with Base 105 Atk and Base 120 SAtk, as well with a respectable Base 105 Spd.
    *To make this even better, Zoroark has access for Swords Dance and Nasty Plot.
    *Unfortunately, it has very poor bulk (60 / 60 / 60), making it not even come in on netural hits well, plus priorty moves doesn't help this case at all.
    *Even though Illusion is nice, Zoroark does show up in the Team Preview (if it is enabled, which in Wifi UU, is most very likely), however it doesn't say when Zoroark when be used (to counter this, it can seem obvious when it comes in).
    *Overall an interesting Pokemon that is underrated and should be used more.

==Choice==
    Zoroark @ Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
    Trait: Illusion
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Dark Pulse / Night Daze
    - Flamethrower
    - Focus Blast
    - Trick / U-Turn

*Zoroark now has access to Trick, so Zoroark's effectiveness with Choice Specs, as it can cripple Gligar, Suicune, Snorlax, Umbreon when they're using their unwanted move!
    *Coupled with it's speed and Special Attack, Zoroark can use this very well.

OR

*Zoroark can become an unexpected revenge-killer that could "pair-up" with another Choice Scarfer and it can get some surprise kills.
    *The EVs allow Zoroark to hit as hard as possible and as fast as possible, while 4 SDef EVs get Porygon2 and Porygon-Z's unpreferred Download Boost. Meanwhile on the Choice Scarf set, EVs are used to reach 508 Speed as well as a Jolly Nature to outspeed Adamant Scarf Mienshao and Jolly Scarf Flygon / Victini.
    *The first (1st) move is all down to personal preference and recommendations. Dark Pulse is the more accurate of the two (2), while Night Daze is the more pwoerful (but only slightly), while it has the ability to lower accuracy. Personally I recommend Dark Pulse, becuase you really want to minimise hax higher up the ladder, plus the fact that Zoroark's identity gets completely revealed for sure when using this move.
    *Flamethrower allows Zoroark to take on Bronzong, Roserade, and it's more accurate for taking on Steel types.
    *Focus Blast gets great coverage with Zoroark's other two (2) moves, however the 70% accuracy really can be a pain-in-the-neck.
    *Trick, as mentioned above, gets the Illusionist a high advantage over many defensive and stall-orienteed Pokemon, Base 105 Speed helps too! Meanwhile, Trick can be used to keep the momemtum going.
    *A great ally for this set in particular are hazards, as they allow Zoroark to turn 2HKO's in to OHKO's!

==Nasty Plot==
    Zoroark @ Life Orb / Leftovers / Focus Sash
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Nasty Plot
    - Dark Pulse
    - Focus Blast
    - Flamethrower / Substitute

*Zoroark also can run a Nasty Plot set, as it's Special Attack gets even better and works well with high speed.
    *Any item has use here, Life Orb allows Zoroark to do more damage, Leftovers can allow Zoroark to heal a bit of needed health, while Focus Sash makes Zoroark a good lead (or late-game sweeper with hazards off the players side of the field).
    *EVs are used to make Zoroark as fast and as powerful as possible.
    *Nasty Plot is the crux of the set, as it allows Zoroark to do hefty damage to anything that doesn't resist it or is bulky enough to take the attack.
    *Dark Pulse is used over Night Haze here to minimise miss-hax, and it's powerful enough to use anyways.
    *Focus Blast allows Zoroark to take on Bronzong, Snorlax, Umbreon and the like.
    *Flamethrower can be used to take on Steel-types easier, Roserade as well as Amoonguss easier, while Substitute can be used in tandem with Leftovers, as it allows Zoroark to set-up on many Ghost and Psychic types whilst they switch out thinking it's something else!

==All-Out Attacker==
    Zoroark @ Life Orb
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
    - Dark Pulse / Night Daze
    - Focus Blast
    - Flamethrower / Grass Knot
    - Sucker Punch

*Also known as the Mixed Attacker set, Zoroark can run this late-game sweep set, and access to Sucker Punch and both great attacking stats.
    *Dark Pulse allows Zoroark to take on Reuniclus, Victini, Mismagius, Cofagrigus, and the like, as long as they can't do much to Zoroark. Night Daze does the same but with more power, less accuracy, and the ability to lower accuracy.
    *Focus Blast grants it coverage to Steel, Ice, Rock, Normal and Dark types, however importantly it OHKO's Physically Defensive Scrafty and doing hefty damage to Umbreon, Snorlax and Empoleon.
    *Flamethrower is an option for a safer option against Steel and Ice-types, as well as coverage against Grass types while Grass Knot can take on bulky Water-types and Rhyperior.
    *Sucker Punch gets Zoroark to take on Choice Scarfs, Victini and weakened Mienshaos in particular.

==Other Options==
    *Zoroark can run Pursuit to trap Chandelure and Mismagius, however Zoroark's identity can easily be shown, and Zoroark doesn't have the best attack in the world, and Honchkrow and Weavile do a better job of Pursuit-trapping.
    *Taunt works well with Base 105 Speed and Sucker Punch, however Zoroark is too frail and it can get OHKO'd in return.
    *Calm Mind can work well, however Zoroark once again isn't bulky enough and is better off using Nasty Plot.
    *Zoroark could run Swords Dance, however a lack of physical moves makes doesn't make this set recommended.
    *Agility could work, however it's outclassed by Choice Scarf and Zoroark is fast anyways.
    *Finally, Extrasensory can take-on Fighting-types, but that's all and it loses out coverage.

==Checks and Counters==
    *If revealed, Zoroark has many weaknesses.
    *Priorty in particular, e.g. Aqua Jet and Mach Punch can easily OHKO Zoroark (2HKO at worst), especially with hazard-support.
    *Togekiss can proceed to ParaFlinch and take any hit Zoroark throws at her.
    *Hitmontop can take any attack thanks to high defenses (bar low HP) and proceed to Mach Punch or Rapid Spin.
    *Anything that outspeeds Zoroark can proceed to OHKO it, while since Choice Scarf varients lose out to Heracross and Mienshao in particular.
    *All-in-all, anything that can take a hit and hit back is how one mainly counters Zoroark.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  2. Winter

Winter .

Your choice specs set states that Zoroark is holding a Life orb, might wanna fix that!

3. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

You can mention that Zoroark can pull a Substitute pretending to be a Pokemon who doesn't do that, like Roserade to bait a Xatu in for the Magic Bounce.

And I saw what you did there. lol.

4. Virizion

PO Trainer Name:
    Virizion
    Whoops, sorry Umb. xD

Thanks! Yeah I'll add it in when I add Other Options and Checks and Counters!
    And yay me. ^_^

EDIT: Updated!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  5. Spoovo The Pirate

Spoovo The Pirate Meep! Article Contributor Article Contributor

Just wondering WHY you do this? O.o

Also, it's probably a good idea to combine the Specs and Scarf sets. They're basically the same, after all (this is all IMO though, so I'd wait for a QC guy's opinion)

6. Epikhairz

Epikhairz Delta Stream

PO Trainer Name:
    Epikhairz
    Agreed with Spoovo. Combine and call it "Choice".
    Mention how Night Daze is an instant Zoro giveaway

7. Virizion

PO Trainer Name:
    Virizion
    This is because it always bugs me if I don't, no specific reason though lol.

Also, it's probably a good idea to combine the Specs and Scarf sets. They're basically the same, after all (this is all IMO though, so I'd wait for a QC guy's opinion)[/QUOTE]

Good idea, it saves space too!

Okay!

8. Epikhairz

Epikhairz Delta Stream

PO Trainer Name:
    Epikhairz
    mention hazards which break illusion iirc.

9. Spoovo The Pirate

Spoovo The Pirate Meep! Article Contributor Article Contributor

Hazards don't BREAK Illusion, they can give it away by having Zoroark take the 'wrong' amount of damage for whatever it's disguising itself as.

10. Scene

Scene reverie

no, only direct damage (like Magic Guard) and losing Illusion through Gastro Acid or something.

11. Epikhairz

Epikhairz Delta Stream

PO Trainer Name:
    Epikhairz
    Ah k I was tired. Well for flying types or levitate get hit by spikes, or if toxic spikes ar rent absorbed by a grounded poison type is zoroark

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  12. Alfalfa

Alfalfa Underappreciated

PO Trainer Name:
    Alfalfa
    Split the Choice sets into two completely different sets: Choice Scarf is a revenge killer, whereas Choice Specs is more meant for the power. They play very differently.

Also, get rid of Night Daze; it gives the surprise away too easily.

13. Epikhairz

Epikhairz Delta Stream

PO Trainer Name:
    Epikhairz
    Then mention that they play differently :x. No point having two different sections for what seems to be more or less the same moveset.

14. Alfalfa

Alfalfa Underappreciated

PO Trainer Name:
    Alfalfa
    I did - read the last sentence of my post