1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Guide] Spriting Guide

Discussion in 'Arts and Graphics' started by Rioku, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Rioku

Rioku Not again.

PO Trainer Name:
    Shou
    I’ve been asked a few times recently how to make a sprite. For the most part I have been telling people to go to YouTube, but I think it may be best for there to be a tutorial on the forums. Here’s a guide on how to sprite in Paint. This can be applied to almost any version of paint.

How to Sprite

[​IMG]

MOST IMPORTANT RULE: Always keep clear selection on!

Fusion/Splice Guide:

1- Choose two or more sprites, for this I will be using a Charizard and a Haxorous. You can find sprites from many places. I use http://pokemondb.net/sprites
    [​IMG]
    2- Clean sprite. Many sites’ sprites have a black box surrounding them; this can be very annoying on some sprites such as Haxorous. This will have to be cleared, and can be extremely time consuming if the dump paint tool clears part of the sprite.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    3- Choose base. Once Sprites are corrected and ready to use, select one as a base. For this I will use a Charizard base. The base sprite takes on parts from other sprites, while losing parts of its own, and serves as the general shape for the fusion or splice. As one becomes a more proficient spriter, the sprites will look less and less like the base sprite.
    [​IMG]
    4- Create parts to apply. First you should pick a part from the sprite(s) not used as base. Take that part with the selection tool and copy the area. It is much easier in the long run if the original sprites remain intact. Paste the area and erase the unwanted area. I will use the axe jaw of Haxorous.
    [​IMG]
    5- Apply/remove parts. Pick the part of the base sprite that you want to apply the new part to. Find the best location for the part and apply. You may have to change some outlines or shading on the base sprite or part to make it blend.
    [​IMG]
    6- Repeat steps four and five with different parts until you have the sprite how you want it.
    [​IMG]
    7- Recolor. When the sprite has all the parts you want added it is ready to be colored. Decide on the color scheme you want. When starting out I would recommend using the colors found on only one Pokemon instead of mixing them. Using the select color tool, select with a left click the color you want to change and with a right click, the color you want it to change too. Then right click and drag the eraser over the area you want to recolor. The eraser will only change the selected color.
    [​IMG]
    8- Correct shading. Once the sprite is recolored you may want to change some shading to make it look more like a real sprite. After this you’re finished![/HIDE]
    DeGen:

1- Pick a sprite. When making a generation three or higher sprite look like a generation one sprite it is important to realize that they are monochrome, and as such were barely shaded. I will use a Haxorous (again) and make it gen two.

2- Pick a generation one or two sprite. It is best to pick a sprite from generation one or two with similar colors so you don’t have to come up with any yourself.
    [​IMG]
    3- Change colors. Pick the lightest color on the new sprite and change it to match the lightest color on the old sprite. Repeat this for with the darkest colors for each sprite.
    [​IMG]
    4- Change middle colors. Find the intermediate colors and change them as you see best to match either the intermediate color of the earlier generation’s sprite or the lighter/darker color.
    [​IMG]
    5- Outline. In later generations sprites have multi colored outlines. These need to be changed to pure black.
    [​IMG]
    6- Extra colors. Extra colors should be removed and replaced with either black or white in generation one sprites. After this you should be finished!
    [​IMG][/HIDE]
    ReGen:

1- Pick a sprite. Due to every gen one and two sprite having a gen five sprite, you can use the newer version and do not have to guess on colors. I will use Charizard… again…
    [​IMG]
    2- Change colors. Change all the colors in the old sprite with the corresponding shade of color in the new sprite.
    [​IMG]
    3- Change certain areas. Certain areas on the sprite may have some odd shading, so change those with the extra colors on the new sprite that were not used in the first color change.
    [​IMG]
    4- Outline. Change the black outline with the colors used in the new sprite’s outline. The outline colors are placed according to the corresponding colors in the sprite. Meaning light to light and dark to dark.
    [​IMG]
    5- Correct final shading and you should be finished![/HIDE]
    Userbar:

1- Select sprites. When creating a userbar the sprites you choose are the main draw of the bar itself. So it is best if you choose sprites that work well together. For this demonstration I will use a Charizard and Haxorous… again…
    [​IMG]
    2- Create the size of the bar. The size of the bar can vary depending on what you want, but for the most part the bar should be sized to where a good part of the sprites stick out from whatever side(s) you choose.
    [​IMG]
    3- Create background. The absolute easiest way to create a background is to take one from a picture. I will often times use a photo of grass or another object, however they usually look better if you create the background yourself with colors to match the sprites, or things like attack animations.
    [​IMG]
    4- Size the background. If you are not using your own background you will either have to resize it or take only a piece to use, unless you are really lucky. Take the piece you want and move the box created in step two over it. Erase everything not included in the box.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    5- Overlay sprites. Take the sprites you are using and overlay them on to the user bar. If any what area’s changed color due to transparent selection, recolor them.
    [​IMG]
    6- Text. Use the text tool to create whatever text you want to use and size it. It is better if you place the text outside the userbar instead of directly applying it as it allows you to manipulate the text without messing up the userbar.
    [​IMG]
    7- Overlay text and edit colors. Use the selection tool and over lay the text onto the bar as you see fit, then edit any odd colors. It is preferable to use the dump paint tool over the recolor tool because you may accidentally recolor part of the sprite depending on what colors used.
    [​IMG][/HIDE]
    Please tell me if there is anything else I should add, like a breakdown of the tools of paint or even another kind of spritting. I tried to make this as simple as I could so, enjoy!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  2. SwagBuck

SwagBuck Summer Spreader

PO Trainer Name:
    Swagbuck
    Holy.....
    I didn't expect so much...
    That is a very good guide. Perfect if I may say.

3. Silone

Silone Kanade <3

PO Trainer Name:
    Silone
    I have been waiting for this day! My friends will be in awe :d Thanks for this guide

4. PichiTheShinyPichu

PichiTheShinyPichu I'm not amused

PO Trainer Name:
    Pichi
    If this doesn't encourage more spriters, I don't know what will.

5. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange sweet creature Server Moderator Social Media Rep Server Moderator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    Me gusta. Keep up the good work :)

6. Hannah

Hannah Come a little closer

PO Trainer Name:
    Hannah
    Thanks for the guide Rioku! I'll rename the title and sticky it up for everyone to see. I really appreciate the effort, thanks for your help <3

7. lorrieclaudia

lorrieclaudia New Member

Thank you for sticking it, the quide is quite helpful.

8. Silone

Silone Kanade <3

PO Trainer Name:
    Silone
    Btw what about banners? I think user bars are small it takes resizing still. Like JhenMohran's banners they are HQ and your userbars too. May not understand what Im saying.

9. Rioku

Rioku Not again.

PO Trainer Name:
    Shou
    This is the exact same process I use when making userbars like the ones I made you, they aren't HQ. As for Jhen's banners, I know how to make them, but it is extremely difficult without an advanced image editor like photoshop or gimp, and it takes a very long time (at least when I tried). This guide wasn't meant for advanced things such as HQ immages, so your best bet would be to ask Jhen, sorry...

10. FizzySoda

FizzySoda Bich Get Dis

Awesome tutorial Rioku, really is helpful!

11. JhenMohran

JhenMohran Random Art Guy

PO Trainer Name:
    JhenMohran
    Nice guide man!

Might prompt me to do a banner one :D