1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[BW2] Countering the threats in NU! (Sept/Oct)

Discussion in 'Gen 5 NU' started by East's Mascot, Sep 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. East's Mascot

East's Mascot The Tyrant

So, we got a bunch of new pals joining the NU club

Absol - Bulky fighting types such as Throh, Gurdurr, Harriyama can all take boosted hits from absol and even offensive pokes such as sawk can take a hit or 2 depending on LO or lum and if it has an SD up or not (a +2 LO sucker punch does around 80-92% I believe to sawk). Other counters consist of pokes such as: Piloswine, Carracosta, Tangela (if it lacks fire blast), Alomomola, and more!

Ferroseed - Fire types/fighting types are good counters to this as well as bulky grass types w/ hp fire (I see tang w/ hp fire becoming more common) This poke does not have an offensive presence like big boy Absol, but don't forget about him! His great typing and good bulk let him sap you health with leech seed as he sets up some spikes! He's also a good check to pokes that abuse rain, namely Ludicolo.

Miltank - This is a pretty bulky poke if used as a wall and pretty tough if used as a offensive threat, I see sawk staying super high in the usage list, but I see Gurdurr rising as well since miltank is BU fodder for the lil guy.

Claydol - Alright, he's a spinner, we love that he dropped, but he dropped with 2 spin blockers and unfortunately, he's weak to said spin blockers as well as weak to pursuit trappers that roam NU, I can see some people trying out air balloon skuntank which sounds fun imo, but he does have EQ/Epower to hit the dark types that all unfortunately are weak to ground if they lack the balloon.

Dusclops - Ok, I'd rather this was banned from nu, but I'll see how he does. I see a rise in BU throh which can set up all over this and get a guts boost to boot, taunt/normal types that carry sub may also work well

Dusknoir - This is a better spinblocker in that it is more fair imo, it has lefties over dusclops, although less bulk. It also boasts a decent attack stat and priority in shadow sneak which is a huge bonus.

List your checks/counters to the pokes down below!

( Don't all jump in at once? :[ )

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  2. Liarliarpantsonfire

Liarliarpantsonfire Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Liarliarpantsonfire
    +2 252+ Atk Life Orb Absol Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Throh: 567-668 (127.7 - 150.45%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    +2 252+ Atk Life Orb Absol Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Gurdurr: 380-447 (101.6 - 119.51%) -- guaranteed OHKO

>.> I'm probably the only person to run Zen Headbutt but whatever. It works for me :P

3. East's Mascot

East's Mascot The Tyrant

But then you lose to Will-o-wisp psychic/ghost types -assuming you gave up night slash- You're also walled by tang/co since you gave up night slash and carry SD over fire blast and alom can stall you out if you lack a stab to hit it with

4. Spoovo The Pirate

Spoovo The Pirate Meep! Article Contributor Article Contributor

I dunno, with how slow all of NU's ghosts are (aside from Haunter and the rare Drifblim), you could even afford to drop Sucker Punch and simply go Night Slash, Superpower, Zen. Sure, it'd be detrimental to Absol's sweeping potential, but breaking dem Ghosts would make things a lot easier for spinners, Sawk, everything that hates being burned, etc. Should be fun. :3

5. East's Mascot

East's Mascot The Tyrant

The problem with giving up sucker punch is that while it sets up the SD on the switch, it is vulnerable because they can switch to something faster and kill you because you lack sucker punch (although the surprise factor the first time could net you a solid kill, I'm not knocking it). Idk, I just feel like absol is too slow to give up his priority move, especially since it is so powerful

6. Trakyan

Trakyan Member

People forget that pursuit trappers are also weak to claydol's ground stab.... just saying.
    Anyways, claydol has the huge perk of resisting rocks and being immune to spikes. Trick+ring target lets it spin on even dusclops with reasonable reliablility.

Im smelling some miltank+dusknoir cores brewing, miltank is a big boon to stall as a heal beller with recovery, not to mention good speed which lets it outspeed sawk and company with a little investment. Scrappy, thick fat and sap sipper are all amazing for hitting ghosts and paralysing them with body slam or just hitting them n general and not having to run coverage for them, thick fat to wall houndoom and sap sipper for a sleep powder immunity are all great, it makes it hard to chose.

I used a subdisable kanga at one point to beat dusclopse, disable its rest and you can KO if asuming disable lasts for anything but the minimum amount of turns. (sub/disable/focus punch/return is a great set in general, very few defensive pokemon can break the sub and even less in general caries two moves to break the sub, fun against monoattackers like mush and stuff)

Personally i think roselia will dominate over ferroseed, recovery(synthesis, rest) in rest and natural cure to shrug off sleep and burns is better the way i see it. 105 base special attack is also something most nfes dont have and two nice stab moves which grant recover and a poison chance are both good.

dusknoir makes a decent sub puncher, cant break vileplume though.

7. Finchinator

Finchinator IT’S FINK DUMBASS

PO Trainer Name:
    Finchinator / Finch
    Too bad that nobody (bar yourself, I guess) uses Trick+Ring Target Claydol. It's far too situational, in my opinion. Running a standard defensive build is fine.

The thing is, Miltank can only have one EV spread, one ability, and four moves :|

Interesting, cool set. However, Dusclops can still rest and outstall it, eventually. Any set up sweeper that doesn't mind being burned and taking an EQ does fine against Dusclops. However, if you lack one, Dusclops will be hard to break. Even if you have one, Dusclops is annoying when it switches into your Fighting type, spinner, or really anything to sponge a hit with ease.

I beg to differ. Leech seed works much better on Ferroseed. Also, the steel typing leaves it only weak to Fire and Fighting (plus, it gains a multitude of resists.) With this typing and better bulk, Ferroseed is an overall better spiker (especially on HO.) Roselia still has a niche or two, especially on stall as it can use recovery moves, like you said. Also, it is a decent special tank. However, Ferroseed is the better spiker, more often than not.

Dusk is kinda falling into Clops's shadow, currently. It's a decent bulky-offensive ghost. However, it doesn't hit hard enough (even with investment.) And if you invest into attack, you lose out on bulk and get warn down much easier (especially if you're sub punch and/or lack a recovery move such as rest or pain split.)

8. East's Mascot

East's Mascot The Tyrant

Yay people posted; Ferroseed will definitely not be overshadowed by Roselia. Roselia can deal with rain teams somewhat, but hurricane from the might swanna fells it as well as ice beam/punch being SE. Ferroseed on the otherhand can take on rain teams much better, twave and cripple the sweepers, and set up spikes at the same damn time. He also takes care of samurott. Dusknoir is more offensive then clops obviously, but he just lacks the raw power and stab to deal out enough damage. When your best stab is shadow punch, you won't be doing too much damage without the power of a deoxys/quaza. Miltank is nice as well, but has 4 move syndrome as well as 1 ability syndrome, they're all so good! Sub disable kanga seems interesting as well :o

9. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

I disagree on Target Ring/Trick Claydol being situational. Leftovers honestly doesn't mean much to it when you have wish passers like Alomomola and Lickilicky synergizing extremely well with it, and the extra recovery is a moot point when Claydol is either taking hits like a champ or getting cleanly 2HKO'd. There's no in-between for it. Plus if you are using it, you're always going to want to use spin anyway.

10. Afro Smash

Afro Smash Mfw I'm living the Australian dream

PO Trainer Name:
    Afro Smash
    Yeah but Ring Target takes away it's immunity to Electric and possibly Ground (dunno bout Ground) and you have to give up a moveslot to fit Trick in, and Claydol already has 4mss, you want Stealth Rock, Toxic, Ice Beam, Psychic, EQ and Rapid Spin. And if you are going to run it you have to run a wish passer, otherwise it dies to qiuckly w/o Lefties recovery. Also it's easy to spot the lack of leftovers, so easy to know if its running a Trick set, then mindgames can Ensue, and trick your ring target to the wrong thing, and you're still not spinning. It honestly is only a gimmick if you want to a reliable spinner you have to run Wartortle.

11. Daybreak

Daybreak can't touch this

PO Trainer Name:
    Daybreak
    I believe it still has the immunity to ground moves because levitate is an ability not a set in stone immunity but i could be mistaken. But totally agree with this considering 1. u have to trick it onto the right pokemon. 2. u lose the immunity to volt switch which is huge. 3. has a major case of 4 move syndrome. Viable yes, but gimmick at best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.