1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Final] Dugtrio

Discussion in 'Gen 5 UU Analyses' started by Spoovo The Pirate, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Spoovo The Pirate

Spoovo The Pirate Meep! Article Contributor Article Contributor

On Wiki

[​IMG]

So many potential pictures on Google. D:

== General ==

*After spending nearly all of gen 5 in OU, poor Dugtrio here had the misfortune to fall from grace at the last possible moment, just a hair's breadth away from the release of a new generation...
    *At first you may wonder why a pokemon with such meagre stats - the only exception being its blistering base 120 Speed - has performed so well. The answer is Dugtrio's trademark ability; Arena Trap.
    *Any and all grounded pokemon are trapped when Dugtrio simply switches onto the battlefield. This turns it into a prime revenge killer with almost no parallel. Its Attack stat may be average at best, but it won't matter if Dugtrio is played well.
    *Dugtrio's almost embarrassing frailty means that it requires some team support to ensure that it doesn't die instantly, but it pays off pretty quickly with Dugtrio's ability to remove threats almost effortlessly. Big problem pokemon like Raikou and Chandelure can be trapped and killed if they're not careful!
    *The last aspect of Dugtrio to consider is its movepool. While it's nothing amazing, it has everything it needs for Dugtrio to succeed, namely a powerful Ground STAB in Earthquake, a great coverage option in Stone Edge, semi-reliable priority in Sucker Punch and sometimes even a spare slot!
    *(revenge) killing is Dugtrio's business, and business is very good.

== Lil' Trapper ==

Dugtrio @ Life Orb / Expert Belt / Choice Band
    Ability: Arena Trap
    EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spd
    Jolly nature

-Earthquake
    -Stone Edge
    -Sucker Punch
    -Aerial Ace / Stealth Rock / Memento

*Dugtrio's template in UU doesn't differ much from what it has to offer in OU. The only real difference is the presence of Aerial Ace in exchange for the lack of Reversal.
    *This set is a template because it's very flexible, and can bend to the team's needs. The hold item is very negotiable, with the Choice Scarf, Leftovers, Air Balloon, Lum Berry, Focus Sash and even type gems all being perfectly viable in the place of the listed Life Orb, Expert Belt and Choice Band. These three items are listed because they are the most recommended however. The Life Orb lets Dugtrio act as a speedy cleanup sweeper at the cost of 10% HP per hit. Dugtrio is deathly frail anyway, so the Life Orb will rarely have a negative impact. The Expert Belt powers up super effective moves without sacrificing hit points, and complements the strategy of Dugtrio well, because it will often try to switch into things that it can throw a super effective Earthquake at. Lastly, the Choice Band simply packs raw power, something Dugtrio's underwhelming base 80 Attack would vastly appreciate. It would also let Dugtrio revenge kill bulkier opponents such as a weakened Umbreon much more easily. Note that Choice Band Dugtrio should opt for an attacking move in slot 4 rather than a supporting one, to avoid being locked into something useless.

*Earthquake is the first listed move on this set, as it will likely be the most Dugtrio uses most. A reliable, powerful STAB option with great coverage, Dugtrio makes perfect use of it. Stone Edge in slot 2 is to patch up Dugtrio's neutral coverage, hitting almost everything that resists its Earthquake. Sucker Punch in slot 3 completes the trio of recommended attacks, being a powerful priority move that Dugtrio can rely on more than most. Its Arena Trap stops its opponents from escaping, almost eliminating the need for prediction, and thus making it easy to know when to use what move.

*Slot 4 has Aerial Ace and a few supporting options on display. Aerial Ace is listed mostly for the common Heracross and Virizion, two pokemon that would otherwise give Dugtrio some serious trouble, while Stealth Rock is a viable move on almost everything that learns it, and Dugtrio's Speed and trapping ability makes it a brilliant user of the move. Lastly, Memento cripples an opponent by cutting their offensive stats in half, at the cost of Dugtrio, making setup a lot easier for another member of your team, perhaps Calm Mind Raikou or Dragon Dance Scrafty.

*While the set has many options, it's a simple set regardless, especially in terms of EVs. 216 Speed EVs on a Jolly nature allows Dugtrio to outpace all of the positive natured base 115s in the tier, such as Raikou and Azelf. There are no other base 120s in the tier, so max Speed is unnecessary with the exception of Speed creeping opposing Dugtrio. After that, the Attack is maxed out to optimise Dugtrio's offensive potential, and the remaining 40 EVs are placed into HP to avoid waste. Dugtrio is still frail with the investment, but they would have next to no use in Speed.

== Other Options ==

*An Adamant nature can be used instead of Jolly if you need more power, but this comes with a cost of losing the Speed war to big threats like Timid Raikou and positive Speed Azelf for examples, and also forces a very undesirable Speed tie with positive Mienshao. Dugtrio does NOT want to take a hit under any circumstances, and thus going Adamant is generally considered a bad idea.

*As crazy as it may seem, Dugtrio can run mixed sets to get past some of its would be counters. The likes of Tangrowth and Gligar will be hit much harder by a Hidden Power Ice than any of Dugtrio's physical attacks. Its base 50 Special Attack is pretty terrible though, so this isn't recommended in most situations.

*Dugtrio's famed Substitute+Hone Claws set that succeeds in Ubers is also viable in UU, using basically the same strategy to set up with. Simply trap something grounded, preferably locked into an Electric move, and proceed to set up. The opponent will be literally helpless while Dugtrio sets up, and all but the bulkiest of physical walls will fall to if afterwards.

*Other viable options include Beat Up, Double-Edge, Return, Shadow Claw, the aforementioned Reversal, and Toxic for wearing down walls. Lastly, Protect gets a mention for scouting its opponents. It can help Dugtrio avoid Mienshao's Hi Jump Kick, check whether its opponents actually are choice locked, and stall for Toxic damage on more defensively based teams.

== Checks and Counters ==

*Seeing as nothing grounded can switch out of Dugtrio, you could argue that nothing grounded counters it, as according to the definition of the word 'counter'. Dugtrio's list of counters is therefore pretty short, with Gligar and Bronzong being literally the only 'true' counters to the little mole, as neither of them touch the ground - thanks to Flying typing and Levitate, respectively - and both have more than enough physical bulk to shrug off Dugtrio's attacks. Both pokemon can also OHKO Dugtrio with a STAB of their own, ending the threat instantly. Flygon is also a great answer, due to it levitating as well as resisting both Rock and Ground. Dugtrio's Sucker Punches will dent Flygon, but even the Choice Band set can't 2HKO a healthy Flygon, while Flygon can OHKO in return with Outrage or Earthquake. Even Flygon's U-turn will put a sizeable dent in the mole, and Flygon can evade Sucker Punches with the use of Substitute or other passive moves.

*Of the grounded pokemon, Tangrowth, Virizion and other bulky Grass-types stand out as the best available answers, due to them resisting Dugtrio's STAB move. While none of them outrun Dugtrio without a Choice Scarf, they can all survive two attacks with the exception of Aerial Ace in Virizion's case. Afterwards, Dugtrio is simply KOed by a Grass STAB. Note that Virizion and Heracross both resist almost every common move that Dugtrio carries, the pair only fearing Aerial Ace.

*Priority users such as Hitmontop and Mienshao are good ways around Dugtrio, with itemless Mienshao's Fake Out dealing a painful Fake Out: 34.59 - 41.23% to the frail mole. Be wary that a smart Dugtrio can Sucker Punch Mienshao's Fake Out and override it however, making this a guessing game.

*If they're healthy, bulky Waters such as Suicune and Swampert can drown Dugtrio before it can harm them. Anything with a Choice Scarf and a reasonable base Speed can easily outrun Dugtrio and deal with it, as long as they're not weak to Sucker Punch, and Dugtrio isn't holding a Choice Scarf itself. Mienshao is again a good option. Prankster Sableye can shut Dugtrio down by burning it will Will-o-Wisp and stalling it out, and Porygon2 can trap Dugtrio with its own Arena Trap, then murder it with Ice Beam.

*When it all boils down, Dugtrio can be dealt with by anything remotely bulky, as long as it isn't weak to one of Dugtrio's attacks. It is SO frail that even resisted STABs can threaten an OHKO.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  2. Orcelot

Orcelot AKA Angelus

You mentioned Choice Scarf Mienshao using Fake Out... I really hope that was a typo because that's stupid and nobody uses it.

Dugtrio really wants Aerial Ace in the last slot for Heracross and Virizion. Also, it doesn't need to run max speed. Just use 216 EVs to beat Timid Raikou, and put the rest in HP. Porygon2 is worth mentioning in the 'checks and counters' section, it can Trace Arena Trap and take Dugtrio out with Ice Beam.

3. Spoovo The Pirate

Fair points. Yeah, the Mienshao one was a lack of thinking. ._.

I used Scarf to show what a minimal power Fake Out would do. I put Aerial Ace in the set comments, but having is as a main listing for Hera and Virizion does make sense.

With the 40 HP EVs... would they actually make a difference? Sure, I can understand what you mean, but if it won't make a difference I personally see little point. *shrugs*

4. Orcelot

Orcelot AKA Angelus

Having extra HP EVs are always useful... yes, Dugtrio is revenge killing and not taking any damage most of the time but the HP will help for the occasions when it does have to take a hit. It's just a waste of EVs to run max speed unless you want to make sure opposing max speed Dugtrio don't outspeed you every time because there's nothing beyond Raikou that is worth trying to beat (speed creeping bulky Crobat is a possibility but also kind of pointless because it can just switch out).

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  5. Spoovo The Pirate

Yup, that's fair enough. Definitely nothing wrong with it. If it'll become the standard spread anyways, you can simply Speed creep if you're worried about other Duggies.

6. Aurist

Aurist I do not jump for joy. I frolic in doubt.

(RE Crobat, you'd want to be slower than it anyway so it can't Roost on your face)

Aerial Ace seems fine in OO purely because it actually fails to KO the targets it wants to (Heracross, Virizion) without a significant amount of prior damage.

Also I agree about the speed, you might as well just creep Raikou, it doesn't matter that the HP invest makes little difference, it still does something, while having higher speed does nothing really.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  7. Orcelot

Orcelot AKA Angelus

252 Atk Life Orb Dugtrio Aerial Ace vs 4 HP/0 Def Heracross: 104.97% - 123.84%
    Guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Life Orb Dugtrio Aerial Ace vs 4 HP/0 Def Virizion: 99.38% - 118.83%
    93.75% chance to OHKO

8. Epikhairz

Epikhairz Delta Stream

PO Trainer Name:
    Epikhairz
    Looks good. After Orcelot and Aurist's comments, I really can't think of anything else to add.

Approved

9. Spoovo The Pirate

Got it. I'll tweak the EVs, mention Speed creeping, and move Aerial Ace to the front of slot 4. Which move do you reckon I should drop from slot 4? They're all pretty useful imo

10. Epikhairz

Epikhairz Delta Stream

PO Trainer Name:
    Epikhairz
    I would knock off Hone Claws, cuz you've already got the mention of Sub+HO in OO

11. Spoovo The Pirate

Yeah, those were my thoughts lol. I also added Protect into OO because it has a surprising number of uses with Duggy. :3

12. Dr. Fuji

Dr. Fuji Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Dr. Fuji
    Another EV spread to consider is this:
    EVs: 36 HP / 240 Atk / 16 SDef / 216 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)

This was the standard in Advanced OU the slight Special Defense investment prevents Leftovers Raikou from 1hkoing with Hp Grass/Ice letting you beat Raikou's that use Substitute/Hidden Power on the switch.

I would also mention Focus Sash as a possible item IMO it's better then Expert Belt hitting a problem Pokemon twice can be life saving at times although I still think Choice Band is the best.

13. Spoovo The Pirate

Yeah, I've got the sash mentioned in set comments. Using it requires spin support though, which isn't always ideal. Sure, it's easier in UU than most tiers because of Foresight Hitmontop, but I like the Expert Belt because of how effectively it can bluff a Band. :3

That spread looks nice. You lose barely any power, and it actually makes a difference defensively. I'll see what QC people think of it, but I'm personally willing to use it.

14. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

Methinks Virizion is a surefire counter against any version of Dugtrio, provided Dugtrio isn't +1 and Virizion is over 75% health.

15. Spoovo The Pirate

Aerial Ace is the only thing that stops Virizion from completely countering Duggy, far as I'm concerned:

252 Atk Dugtrio Aerial Ace vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Virizion: 248-296 (76.54 - 91.35%) -- guaranteed 2HKO. That's without an item. Throw in even an Expert Belt and:

252 Atk Expert Belt Dugtrio Aerial Ace vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Virizion: 298-355 (91.97 - 109.56%) -- 56.25% chance to OHKO. More or less guaranteed dead after SR damage.

Heracross is in the same boat too lol:

252 Atk Expert Belt Dugtrio Aerial Ace vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Heracross: 288-341 (95.68 - 113.28%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

16. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

Derp... I forgot Dugtrio learns Aerial Ace. Pokelogic is confusing lol

17. Spoovo The Pirate

I'll get this uploaded. It's been doing nothing for a while, and no one's complaining.