1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Sports] 2013 Pokemon Online Fantasy Basketball League

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Oh So Shoddy, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Oh So Shoddy

Oh So Shoddy Devil's Advocate

[​IMG]
    So those of you who keep up with the NBA will know that the season is just around the corner. And that means it's time for Fantasy Basketball! Summer Camps have long since ended and the preseason is on the way, so now all that's left is to start recruiting dedicated players to fill the league.

Note that I said dedicated players

[​IMG]

The league will be done on ESPN so all selected users will need an ESPN account. The league itself will have a chat board but we're most likely going to be communicating through the forums and Skype (for real time chats). This isn't a requirement by any means. It's just useful. I'm looking for about 12-16 teams and as stated before - I don't think this can be stressed enough - I want only the most dedicated players.

For those of you that recognize this plagiarized introduction, you may very well have been a part of last year's league. In which case you're likely gonna get priority entry this year. Assuming you didn't fall off the face of the earth sometime during the season leaving your team without a manager. That being said, I'll still be looking for other enthusiasts to sign up as I'm sure there'll be plenty of spots still open. So I'll just go ahead and paste the rest of last year's thread since the requirements remain the same:

In order to make the selection process easier I'd like for each interested user to include their

• favorite team/s and why

• favorite player/s and why

• story line that you look forward to the most this season

• an idea of how much time you devote to following basketball in general

• whether or not you've done fantasy basketball before, and if yes how many seasons as well as finishing positions and records

These may seem like silly areas to base qualifications on. But any real sports fan will know that these alone are enough to gauge the level of interest we can expect throughout the season. I don't want people that watch only the finals so they can know who won. I want... you guessed it, dedicated players.

I expect the level of competition to be high all throughout the season. So if you're the kind that will get discouraged because of a bad start and quit, then just move along.

So let's see just how much interest will be generated. Feel free to post any questions you may have regarding the league in general. Keep in mind that you don't have to have played fantasy before. If I can see that you're - what was that word - dedicated, then that may be enough to secure a spot.

Of course if you were in the league last year I won't care about this info. Just post saying you want to join and a quick decision will be made on whether you're in or not (based on productivity last year as mentioned before).

The league starts on Tuesday, October 29 so the likely draft date will be Sunday October 27. One week from today. Time hasn't been set and the date isn't set in stone since I'll want to accommodate as many of us as possible. So for now, let's just fill those spots!

2. NAVIDAD PIRATE

NAVIDAD PIRATE THE PLEASURE OF BEING CUMMED INSIDE

PO Trainer Name:
    MeowMix
    HELLO

I LOVE THE SPURS AND TIM DUNCAN AND TONY PARKER AND WE WERE ROBBED DURING THE FINALS I LITERALLY CRIED #FUCKTHESHOT. THE KNICKS ARE COOL SINCE I'M A NYC KID BUT THERE'S NOBODY I REALLY LIKE ON THEIR TEAM SINCE THEY TRADED STEVE NOVAK THE #GOAT

I AM GREATLY LOOKING FORWARD TO A KYRIE/BYNUM LED CAVS TEAM DESTROY THE EASTERN CONFERENCE. ALSO ROSE'S RETURN WILL BE LEGENDARY.

I READ SHIT LIKE SBNATION AND UNDERGROUND BASKETBALL BLOGS ALL DAY EVERYDAY. I FOLLOWED THE LEAGUE THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE OFFSEASON AND PLAN ON FOLLOWING BALONCESTO TILL THE DAY I DIE

I PLAYED FANTASY BASKETBALL LAST YEAR IN THE PO LEAGUE AND WENT 13-3 ONLY TO LOSE TO BULLSHIT AND INJURIES IN THE FIRST ROUND OF THE PLAYOFFS

PS I AM STILL LAUGHING AT WATER'S DRAFT FROM LAST YEAR

PPS FUCK HAMEK

3. meeps

meeps Well-Known Member

PO Trainer Name:
    meeps
    vote meowmix

but i play even tho i don't follow nba much

i like bulls

derrick rose

derrick rose's return

i'll try to devote time to this lol

nope

4. Hamek

Hamek New Member

favorite team/s and why
    Bulls, explained why last year too lazy to do it again.

favorite player/s and why
    Jimmy Butler (had him here last year when he was just an end of bench guy), explained why last year. In terms of new draft picks:
    Gorgui Dieng seems like he'll fit well with the t-wolves and give them a solid player next to pek or love.
    Giannis Antetokounmpo seems like an amazingly high potential SF, and I'm not sure who else the bucks have at SF besides Butler who's old.
    Homer pick: Tony Snell. When they made the selection I knew little about him but reading up on him in college and the preseason stuff he seems like he'll be a solid Shooting Guard/Small forward, 3 and D type of guy.

story line that you look forward to the most this season
    Heat hangover plus beasley and oden potentially helping
    Homer pick: Bulls getting a top 2 seed then taking the Heat to 7 games. Plus Rose coming back so yeah.

an idea of how much time you devote to following basketball in general
    I know the most about basketball here ;) I started seriously following it in like 2011 though, just read up a bunch on it to understand it quickly.

whether or not you've done fantasy basketball before, and if yes how many seasons as well as finishing positions and records
    I won it last year

5. Water

Water Well Respected and Exceptionally Handsome User Forum Moderator Channel Leader Forum Moderator Channel Leader

I like the hawks because ATL sports fan/masochist and Al Horford

Not Andrew Bynum

Looking forward to roses return and half the league tanking

I probably watched 5 or 6 games a week last year and followed news daily

I lost last year because i am stupid

6. Dark Phoenix

Dark Phoenix Multidimensional Hero

Chicago Bulls: legit team, from chicago, Derrick rose.

Derrick Rose: bc simeon h.s. down the street, and chicago native.

Whether or not the Bulls can stay healthy and compete with Miami

??? you don't follow basketball 24/7?

yes, 1 season, don't remember but I did well enough.

7. Laurel

Laurel Well-Known Member

favorite team/s and why

Celtics. I live in Massachusetts, dad is a huge celtics fan, naturally I would be too.

Stephen Curry. The way he carries himself is amazing and his shot is gorgeous legit. I can watch highlight reels of him for days, and his defense is getting better haters. After that Festus Ezeli representing that Vanderbilt pride. Taylor did decently last year, and Jenkins hasnt got his chance yet.

I want to see if Brooklyn can match up with the Heat. I hate the Heat. Brooklyn has all the talent. I also want to see the Cavalier's make the play offs as long as the Celtics don't finish like 9th. Wizards making playoffs would be sweet too.

I watch highlights of pretty much every game and watch as much as I can.

whether or not you've done fantasy basketball before, and if yes how many seasons as well as finishing positions and records

Played once for the first time last year. I got 3rd place because the top 2 guys had super teams that they cheated to get. It was a category league on ESPN, snake draft (I missed the whole draft my whole team by the end of the season was pickups, Chandler Parsons, all my centers etc) It was a 12 team league btw.

8. Celestial Phantom

Celestial Phantom YAHA

I've gotta go with the Spurs, caught then in the playoffs a few years back or so, and enjoyed the playing I saw and have lightly followed them since, but only being able to catch the occasional games seeing as B-ball season was my busy time.

Sticking with Spurs and going Tim Duncan, guy is just a baller and I just like the guy, also no homo. Nothing more to it.

I think like most everyone it's the D-Rose story and seeing how he gets back to playing this season.

I've never had much time to devote, but now I do and wanna try this out a bit. I do catch scores, stats every so often, and sometimes am able to catch the occasional game, but should have more time for it this season.

• whether or not you've done fantasy basketball before, and if yes how many seasons as well as finishing positions and records

Never done it before, probably would fail at it because I probably don't know a lot of the players well enough to figure out a good team, but last year was my first time doing fantasy football too, and despite not knowing a hell of a lot I was a quick pick up, did actually really well if it wasn't for several bunk games, and there is no better way to learn for the next year except through experience. So, looking to give it a shot with basketball this year too.

9. Duster

Duster dodgerswin 2018

2013-14 CHICAGO BULLS
    YOU MESS WITH THE BULL YOU GET THE HORNS

derrick rose
    james harden

how the bulls adapt to d-rose coming back.
    in the playoffs it looked like bulls were doing pretty well for a while without rose
    i want to see how they changed their strategy now that he's back in action.
    no more thunder for me since harden left

i get excited at the beginning of the season
    then i get bored mid season
    then i get super hyped before playoffs
    started watching in 2010

NO SIR

10. Jalmont

Jalmont nothere

if i had to choose the pacers because i like their young talent and the players they have - i'm more of a guy who hates specific teams (heat, celtics, knicks) for not developing talent and going for the stars through free agency, hate that

jimmer freddette - boss in college and a white dude who actually has some talent (no racism intended at all) honestly want him to succeed as he seems like a chill, down to earth guy
    jeremy lin - went to harvard, smart asian american playing basketball, can relate

the heat's shocking and inevitable fall from grace - leaked locker room drama, firing of erik spoelstra, pat riley resigns, lebron can't carry etc - also wouldn't mind a knicks collapse either

more of a college bball guy, but i watch some playoff games

nope never played

I'm not the biggest basketball guy but in my defense I wasn't the greatest football guy either and I'm having a very solid season not due to blind luck. I like fantasy because it puts in the position of a GM which imo is best part of organized sports - running the team from the inside. I'm a pretty smart dude who can get passionate about the players on my team (just ask the people in my fantasy league how i feel about certain underperforming players or some breakout stars). so yeah that's the advertisement for me

also im better than navidad pirate

11. Ortheore

Ortheore One beautiful monster

Shit, why not.

favorite team/s and why

Mavs, started following the team more or less because of Dirk.

Dirk, pretty much because of his game- size combined with ridiculous shot-making ability

I'm really bloody curious how the nets will fare, especially with Kidd as coach. I also really like following which rookies/young players do well

I rarely get to watch games, but I will get the highlights and check out box scores pretty much daily.

Nope, I've not played in any kind of fantasy league before

12. Oh So Shoddy

Draft is currently set for Sunday, October 27 at 7:30 PM EDT. Let me know what you guys think.

13. NAVIDAD PIRATE

PO Trainer Name:
    MeowMix
    might want to make it a bit later, I think DP has work or something

14. Jalmont

Jalmont nothere

i prefer 10 PM est or later because i am a minor who would prefer not being interrupted (which is less likely to happen 10 PM +)

15. meeps

meeps Well-Known Member

PO Trainer Name:
    meeps
    as long as something stupid doesn't come up it'll be ok as long as it's not later than maybe 11-12 am est

16. Ortheore

Ortheore One beautiful monster

Yeah, I'm pretty much fine with that time.

17. Celestial Phantom

Celestial Phantom YAHA

Should work for me if I'm back by the start time (hopefully I'll be back 6 PM my time which is 7 PM EST), otherwise if moving it an hour back doesn't hurt anyone I never really know my schedule for sunday's and when I'll get to an open computer.

18. Laurel

Laurel Well-Known Member

i like the time... i dont want draft over at like 1 AM

19. Duster

Duster dodgerswin 2018

i can draft until about 1:30? so that's fine

edit:
    attending a meetup, so i prolly can't start till 10pm est. so i'm with michu's time.
    also, are we doing auction drafts?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  20. Jalmont

Jalmont nothere

yeah i cant do 730 est at all because im working

21. NAVIDAD PIRATE

PO Trainer Name:
    MeowMix
    yeah push it back to 10PM or so, it's not like a snake draft takes more than an hour

22. Oh So Shoddy

Snake. Good ol' snake. Auction for waiver wire though!

Draft is at 10:30pm EDT. Contemplating randomizing order before the 1 hr pre-draft entry.

Edit: Allowing draft software to handle randomization.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  23. Duster

Duster dodgerswin 2018

sorry, i don't think i will have time to play.
    also i missed the draft because of a meetup so meh

tl;dr kick me out i'm not dedicated

24. Laurel

Laurel Well-Known Member

Already thinking bout trades message me if you're interested LBJ is touchable if you give me a good offer. Really I don't want to post here anymore so hum with trade offers.

Hey McLemore can we go..?